Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by T. Sanderson
The fun is getting anything for tix bought with OPM. I have fun everyday with this.
+1 - There is a thrill sitting in first class, jetting over one of the ponds, on a 'free' ticket!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
United credits elite bonuses up to 100% bonus to certain partner tickets on non ua stock:will aa do likewise on its partners?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jfk747
United credits elite bonuses up to 100% bonus to certain partner tickets on non ua stock:will aa do likewise on its partners?
What United does is immaterial.

AA elite status (and class of service) bonus schemes remain the same as they've always been for now for AA and partners: elite status bonus miles on those oneworld / airline partners that award them, regardless of which airline's ticket stock they are written on.

Bonus miles

Executive Platinum and Platinum members will earn a 100% bonus and Gold members will earn a 25% bonus based on the base miles or minimum miles guaranteed, when traveling with American and participating oneworld airlines.
and

Earn AAdvantage Miles

To earn AAdvantage miles when you are flying with another oneworld member airline, you do not need to join a separate frequent flyer program. Simply give your AAdvantage number when you make your reservation or when you check in for your flight. After the flight, please allow up to 30 days for the AAdvantage miles to be automatically credited to your account, which you can view online at aa.com. To request missing miles, please complete the Request Flight Miles form.

The number of AAdvantage miles you can earn when flying oneworld member airlines depends on your fare class and which airline you're traveling on. To find out how many miles you can earn with each airline, view the individual airline page.

When flying on oneworld member airline, you can:
  • Earn base miles counting toward AAdvantage elite status
  • Earn class of service bonus miles
  • Earn Elite Status Bonus

Check the charts for individual airlines on aa.com.

AAdvantage >> Earn miles >> Airlines >> Specific airline

E.g. you'll earn elite status bonus miles on BA / British Airways

AAdvantage elite status member benefits
Travel on British Airways and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways will also enjoy:
  • Minimum mileage guarantee
  • oneworld airline recognition and benefits
  • Executive Platinum and Platinum members also receive Additional elite status bonus miles and AAdvantage Gold members receive a 25% bonus when traveling on British Airways.
Learn more about elite status bonus miles
but not on S7 / Sibir

status member benefits

Travel on S7 Airlines and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold members traveling on S7 also enjoy:

oneworld airline recognition and benefits
Note: the 2015 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles promotion has been extended through this year, until the new, revenue-based redeemable miles / RDM earning scheme is implemented.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

No EQM earning detail on the account page!

AA yet fails again. WHY this lack of transparency? Don't these penny pinchers understand that the more opacity they provide in their web pages and their account information, the more passengers will call and tie up valuable personnel resources on relatively trivial issues? (And of course, with the unequal knowledge of the poorly trained agents more passengers will get upset when they're given drivel over the phone.)

Originally Posted by JDiver
The new account stats display does not reflect EQM in any meaningful way, so we must yet once again individually track earnings if we want accuracy.

The new account display only reflects EQM as a grand YTD total. The columns in the general display include:

Description: miles origin / source

Date: date miles were earned

Base miles: credited miles flown

Bonus miles: additional bonus (RDM) granted

Total award miles: total RDM awarded for this item

So, no itemized reporting of EQM awarded that we can see per item / flight, trammeled transparency with only the YTD EQM total displayed with the YTD segments rows at the top.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:32 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
What United does is immaterial.
or better stated, irrelevant
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Note: the 2015 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles promotion has been extended through this year, until the new, revenue-based redeemable miles / RDM earning scheme is implemented.
How AA's done this annoys me as they give GMs the exact same bonus plats and golds get.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Superguy
How AA's done this annoys me as they give GMs the exact same bonus plats and golds get.
Why? It would seem that AA would want to incentivize this segment to buy a premium fare on AA (as opposed to a cheap coach one, or none at all) even more than a Gold or Plat. As they are most likely to freely "airline shop" for a premium fare. Whereas the Gold and Plat very much take their elite status into the purchase consideration. Moreover, when AA does the promotional bonuses (like the current one for TATL flying), everyone is getting the same bonus amount (relevant to the fare class) regardless of their FF status. But with the existing elite level bonuses in the program, they will always receive more FF miles than a non-elite for the same ticket purchased. Why is that not enough?

Last edited by Fanjet; Jan 5, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
This is a class of service bonus, which has never had a status component; what's different is that EXPs get larger class of service bonuses through this promotion. Elites still get their status bonus in addition to this extra class of service bonus.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Why? It would seem that AA would want to incentivize this segment to buy a premium fare on AA (as opposed to a cheap coach one, or none at all) even more than a Gold or Plat. As they are most likely to freely "airline shop" for a premium fare. Whereas the Gold and Plat very much take their elite status into the purchase consideration. Moreover, when AA does the promotional bonuses (like the current one for TATL flying), everyone is getting the same bonus amount (relevant to the fare class) regardless of their FF status. But with the existing elite level bonuses in the program, they will always receive more FF miles than a non-elite for the same ticket purchased. Why is that not enough?
Then why offer a tiered bonus at all? By your logic, the EXP will be the most tied to AA regardless - they should get the least amount then, right?

I doubt many kettles even know about that incentive. I mean hell, get those golds and plats out of the mindset of using stickers for upgrades and actually buying F fares. I'm not necessarily saying gold/plat should get the same incentive as an EXP, but something in between that and a kettle. Even with the incentive, there's no guarantee the kettle's going to stay. You have a much higher likelihood of the gold/plat staying. Why not reward that and further encourage them?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Then why offer a tiered bonus at all? By your logic, the EXP will be the most tied to AA regardless - they should get the least amount then, right?

I doubt many kettles even know about that incentive. I mean hell, get those golds and plats out of the mindset of using stickers for upgrades and actually buying F fares. I'm not necessarily saying gold/plat should get the same incentive as an EXP, but something in between that and a kettle. Even with the incentive, there's no guarantee the kettle's going to stay. You have a much higher likelihood of the gold/plat staying. Why not reward that and further encourage them?
Let me remind you that when AA rolled out this promotion early last year, general members were given a lower amount of bonus miles than Golds/Plats. Months later, they changed that. So to them, there was a reason for doing so. Perhaps it was to incentivize a general member (who is willing to purchase a premium fare) to attain elite status on AA. Who knows. But they changed it from how it originally was.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Qualifying through segments

I've read through a number of threads but can't find too much detail on qualifying through segments. Previously, I've always achieved Platinum by flying a number of cheap long hauls each year, but with partner earnings down to 50% or less in most cases, this is no longer viable. I've never cared about segments in the past but usually end up with 40-45, so hitting 60 by always going the long way round could work.

My question is: what is an elite qualifying segment? Is it the case that as long as any Oneworld (or AS) marketed flight earns at least 1% EQMs, then that flight would count as an EQS? Would I be right in thinking (for example) that Cathay's deep discount fares, which earn 0% EQMs, would also NOT earn me an elite qualifying segment?

Cheers!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
My question is: what is an elite qualifying segment? Is it the case that as long as any Oneworld (or AS) marketed flight earns at least 1% EQMs, then that flight would count as an EQS? Would I be right in thinking (for example) that Cathay's deep discount fares, which earn 0% EQMs, would also NOT earn me an elite qualifying segment?

Cheers!
Yes to both.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
2x EQM and the 500-mile minimum

Just had an interesting revelation about the 2x EQM multiplier (apologies if this has been discussed).

I've flown exactly one trip so far, one way AUS => DFW => LAX in First (P). This is normally a 1,735 mile trip (1235 + 500). However on my AAdvantage account page, it shows my Elite Qualifying Miles as 2,970. However, my assumption was this should have been 3,470.

I called the EXP desk, and the agent agreed that my assumption seemed right, and passed my to AAdvantage CS to confirm. After explaining to the agent, she put me on hold to get clarification, and then came back with (what was news to her) that the 2x is only on the FLOWN miles. So basically, because AUS => DFW is 183 miles, doubling that only takes me to 364, so I still only earn the 500 mile minimum. So it's basically the greater of either 1) double air miles, or 2) 500 miles.

She said that she's passed along that the elite qualifying info needs to be clearer (that the "flown" miles component truly means "flown", not doubling the 500-mile minimum), and put yet another "request" up the chain to ask for more transparency on aa.com for EQM detail.

Anyway, maybe this was already known, but it wasn't quite how I was planning things (given how most flights have an AUS <=> DFW leg).
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by nak_atx
Just had an interesting revelation about the 2x EQM multiplier (apologies if this has been discussed).

I've flown exactly one trip so far, one way AUS => DFW => LAX in First (P). This is normally a 1,735 mile trip (1235 + 500). However on my AAdvantage account page, it shows my Elite Qualifying Miles as 2,970. However, my assumption was this should have been 3,470.

I called the EXP desk, and the agent agreed that my assumption seemed right, and passed my to AAdvantage CS to confirm. After explaining to the agent, she put me on hold to get clarification, and then came back with (what was news to her) that the 2x is only on the FLOWN miles. So basically, because AUS => DFW is 183 miles, doubling that only takes me to 364, so I still only earn the 500 mile minimum. So it's basically the greater of either 1) double air miles, or 2) 500 miles.

She said that she's passed along that the elite qualifying info needs to be clearer (that the "flown" miles component truly means "flown", not doubling the 500-mile minimum), and put yet another "request" up the chain to ask for more transparency on aa.com for EQM detail.

Anyway, maybe this was already known, but it wasn't quite how I was planning things (given how most flights have an AUS <=> DFW leg).
I'm pretty sure this was not known; it was one of the biggest unanswered questions. on the apparent answer. It's a change from how EQPs were calculated in the past; the EQP multiplier (0.5, 1.0, or 1.5) was applied to the 500 mile minimum, not to the miles flown.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by nak_atx

After explaining to the agent, she put me on hold to get clarification, and then came back with (what was news to her) that the 2x is only on the FLOWN miles. So basically, because AUS => DFW is 183 miles, doubling that only takes me to 364, so I still only earn the 500 mile minimum. So it's basically the greater of either 1) double air miles, or 2) 500 miles.
for me. I fly lots of full-fare Y segments under 500. It was nice to get a flat 750 EQP per segment, and made the math easy to keep track of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.