Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Dec 16, 15, 11:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by logicalrealist View Post
What are others planning?

[I'm also particularly annoyed that this was announced after I purchased several Alaska flights for early 2016, but that seems like a separate issue.]
We fly Alaska as well, but only a few flights a year. We had already purchased a F trip (P, actually) to KOA for next year, so this change actually helps us since this is now an EQM (as opposed to EQP) bump, and we're EQM people.

Overall, we don't fly enough AS to be concerned if some of the flights are 0.5, but that's because we're primarily AA fliers.

Cheers.
Old Dec 16, 15, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by logicalrealist View Post
What are others planning?

[I'm also particularly annoyed that this was announced after I purchased several Alaska flights for early 2016, but that seems like a separate issue.]
I'm PHL-based, but about 40% of my EQMs were on AS flights in 2015 (all fares that will go from 1.0 to 0.5 EQMs in 2016), so this will hurt. My plans are similar; stick with AAdvantage and see how the year goes (I can't predict what my travel for the year will look like), but with a good chance that I'll status match to AS at the end of the year and credit to AS in 2017 and on. But this assumes that AS doesn't reduce EQM earning on AA-credited flights, which I expect AA to force AS to do.

Getting d e e p into speculation (or just wild guessing), I expect that the AS and DL partnership will end once and for all some time in 2016. Once that happens, maybe AS will move to join oneworld. (AS presumably knows if and when their contract with DL ends, even if they can't say so publicly. I wouldn't be shocked if they're already in behind the scenes discussions about joining oneworld after that date, particularly if they can keep their partnerships with EK, AF, etc.) If AS does join oneworld, then MVP Gold would become oneworld Sapphire, which eliminates my primary current reason for crediting to AA instead of AS.

At the end of the day, my decision will depend upon what the various AA, AS, and DL frequent flyer programs look like at the end of 2016, which I think is very much up in the air.

I have one AS trip booked for January, but it's in R class, which means no AA miles at all before or after these changes, and upfaring to a mileage-earning fare nearly doubles the cost. So that one will be credited to AS (or possibly DL) regardless.
Old Dec 16, 15, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
So UA has just upped the game by offering 200%/300% PQMs on J/F fares on partners such as AC,LH, etc. Meanwhile AA is still just giving 150% for premium fares on BA

UA also gives 100% PQMs on economy fares on most partners - AA is down to 50%/25% on all BA economy flights....
Old Dec 16, 15, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
So UA has just upped the game by offering 200%/300% PQMs on J/F fares on partners such as AC,LH, etc. Meanwhile AA is still just giving 150% for premium fares on BA
J and F are full-fare codes. And they would price out the same for a BA flight with an AA code; and thus earn the 300% EQMs. Moreover, UA does not count tickets purchased on partner stock to count as part of one's PQD totals. So one could easily accumulate over 100,000 PQMs on partners with no PQDs; and thus no elite status at all.

UA also gives 100% PQMs on economy fares on most partners - AA is down to 50%/25% on all BA economy flights....
But AA allows partner flights to count towards MM status. UA does not.
Old Dec 16, 15, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
So UA has just upped the game by offering 200%/300% PQMs on J/F fares on partners such as AC,LH, etc.
^

Meanwhile AA is still just giving 150% for premium fares on BA

AA currently gives 100% EQMs on all paid BA fares. On January 1, that drops to 50% on most economy fares, but no BA fares will earn less than 50% of miles flown for EQMs. (Several fare buckets will earn less than 50% RDMs, but that calculation is separate.)

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
J and F are full-fare codes. And they would price out the same for a BA flight with an AA code; and thus earn the 300% EQMs.
Only on flights for which there's an AA codeshare. That's pretty much everything transatlantic, but less so LHR-Asia (and Africa?). And another key difference between AA and UA is that for UA, it's the metal, not the code, that matters. So if UA wants to grant full PQMs on LH metal even for UA-marketed flights, they have to bring the partner earnings up to par.

Tiny consolation, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by ashill; Dec 16, 15 at 6:59 pm
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill View Post

Tiny consolation, as far as I'm concerned.
A person can now book 3 roundtrip F/J tickets on LH (on LH ticket stock) between LAX and FRA/MUC and earn over 100K PQMs in Mileage Plus and not even earn Silver Elite status. Does that sound like a good consolation?
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
J and F are full-fare codes. And they would price out the same for a BA flight with an AA code; and thus earn the 300% EQMs. Moreover, UA does not count tickets purchased on partner stock to count as part of one's PQD totals. So one could easily accumulate over 100,000 PQMs on partners with no PQDs; and thus no elite status at all.
They are also giving 200% on P fares - equivalent of BA I fares.

All these partner fares (AC/LH/NH) are bookable on united.com - and thus eligible for PQD ( and it only applies if one needs it - and foreigners do not - and they are the ones benefiting most from an extension of these earnings accross allowance partners)

Lets put it this way - I buy a cheap P fare on United.com for AC flights (AC flight numbers) to Europe - I earn 200% qualifying miles.
I buy the same priced I fare on BA - and its only 150% to AA.

I regret buying BA I fares for 2016. Would have been better off with AC/LH fares. I dont care about PQDs

Economy is even more disproportionate now that BA fares earn peanuts to AAdvantage.
Old Dec 17, 15, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are also giving 200% on P fares - equivalent of BA I fares.

All these partner fares (AC/LH/NH) are bookable on united.com - and thus eligible for PQD ( and it only applies if one needs it - and foreigners do not - and they are the ones benefiting most from an extension of these earnings accross allowance partners)

Lets put it this way - I buy a cheap P fare on United.com for AC flights (AC flight numbers) to Europe - I earn 200% qualifying miles.
I buy the same priced I fare on BA - and its only 150% to AA.

I regret buying BA I fares for 2016. Would have been better off with AC/LH fares. I dont care about PQDs
You're changing the equation with your examples. Just as someone can book those partner flights on united.com and earn the PQDs, one can also book BA flights (with AA codes) at aa.com and earn 300% EQMs.
Old Dec 17, 15, 6:39 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Wish they went further

I may be the only one who feels this way (did not read every page of the wiki) but I would have like to see them go further with the revenue calculations. Since they are now looking to get to a revenue model and not a mileage or segments model take the next step. I would love to see each level have a total revenue target this could be in addition to the current models. For example if you spend $25,000 in the previous 12 months you are Gold regardless of segment or miles.
The new program may get me to direct more revenue to American than I have in the past, but if they had the model I suggested I would direct much more revenue to American. I use American for domestic travel only so no chance at Platinum Exec and Asian carriers for most everything else. Now I may move some of my Business class Asian flights with more miles being given for higher fares. I will do the math and see if this will get me to Platinum Exec if the math does not work I will not.
Old Dec 17, 15, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by swanscn View Post
I may be the only one who feels this way (did not read every page of the wiki) but I would have like to see them go further with the revenue calculations. Since they are now looking to get to a revenue model and not a mileage or segments model take the next step. I would love to see each level have a total revenue target this could be in addition to the current models. For example if you spend $25,000 in the previous 12 months you are Gold regardless of segment or miles.
The new program may get me to direct more revenue to American than I have in the past, but if they had the model I suggested I would direct much more revenue to American. I use American for domestic travel only so no chance at Platinum Exec and Asian carriers for most everything else. Now I may move some of my Business class Asian flights with more miles being given for higher fares. I will do the math and see if this will get me to Platinum Exec if the math does not work I will not.
I'd say this belongs in the companion "reaction" thread, not the "JUST THE FACTS" one.
Old Dec 17, 15, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're changing the equation with your examples. Just as someone can book those partner flights on united.com and earn the PQDs, one can also book BA flights (with AA codes) at aa.com and earn 300% EQMs.
Yes with AA codes. Difference being I can book partner flight #s (not UA codeshares). And earn 200/300. As someone pointed out already, not all flights have an AA code on them. When buying on UA.com, I don't need a UA flight number for these earnings.
Old Dec 17, 15, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes with AA codes. Difference being I can book partner flight #s (not UA codeshares). And earn 200/300. As someone pointed out already, not all flights have an AA code on them. When buying on UA.com, I don't need a UA flight number for these earnings.
Everything TATL has an AA code on it. And several destinations beyond Europe have AA codes on them as well: JNB/DXB/TLV/BOM to name a few. However, I don't think flights from LHR to southeast and northern Asia do.

And are you using a non-US version of united.com? Because everything on the US website has a UA code on partner flights. The only ones that don't are award flights.
Old Dec 18, 15, 7:05 am
tt7

And are you using a non-US version of united.com? Because everything on the US website has a UA code on partner flights.
Are you saying UA codeshares on every *alliance flight?

I've never understood what permits or precludes an airline from codesharing (other than obviously agreement between the airlines). AA doesn't (afaik) codeshare on any flights ex-Europe to Asia/Oz etc. If AA codeshared on all AY/BA/CX/QF etc. flights (including, e.g., standalone intra-Oz flights on QF) I'd be buying all my flights as AA codeshares (assuming the price wasn't stupid). Years ago, AA announced it was going to codeshare on a whole bunch of flights, including BA flights from LHR-SIN, but it never happened. Now that AA has skewed the EQM earning rules to favor AA-coded flights, it would be helpful if the AA code was on as many flights as possible.
Old Dec 18, 15, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
... Getting d e e p into speculation (or just wild guessing), I expect that the AS and DL partnership will end once and for all some time in 2016. Once that happens, maybe AS will move to join oneworld. (AS presumably knows if and when their contract with DL ends, even if they can't say so publicly. I wouldn't be shocked if they're already in behind the scenes discussions about joining oneworld after that date, particularly if they can keep their partnerships with EK, AF, etc.) If AS does join oneworld, then MVP Gold would become oneworld Sapphire, which eliminates my primary current reason for crediting to AA instead of AS.
Good points and definitely part of why I'm waiting to see how things shake out. There's also been the on/off rumors that we'll see LAX-SEA added on AA metal, which would help.
Old Dec 18, 15, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by tt7 View Post
AA doesn't (afaik) codeshare on any flights ex-Europe to Asia/Oz etc. If AA codeshared on all AY/BA/CX/QF etc. flights (including, e.g., standalone intra-Oz flights on QF) I'd be buying all my flights as AA codeshares (assuming the price wasn't stupid). Years ago, AA announced it was going to codeshare on a whole bunch of flights, including BA flights from LHR-SIN, but it never happened. Now that AA has skewed the EQM earning rules to favor AA-coded flights, it would be helpful if the AA code was on as many flights as possible.
You should send these comments to AA. Maybe they will listen.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: