Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Dec 7, 15, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
Then again, one can openly state that the AA Frequent Flier Program was designed for people who fly mostly on American Airlines, i.e. only places where AA flies to.
The Advantage program was created to encourage people to fly American and not the competition.

The newly enhanced program is telling me if I do not fly American, I get shafted. Now that it really does not matter who I fly, CX, BA and Emirates will get most of my business. Who is getting the shaft now?
Old Dec 7, 15, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The Advantage program was created to encourage people to fly American and not the competition.
Good perks also kept people flying an airline when mediocrity and service issues would have driven them to fly someone else.

I don't know how many times I used to hear "UA sucks and its foreign partners are better, but they treat elites well so I stick around." I'd imagine similar was said of DL and AA. Don't hear that much anymore.
Old Dec 7, 15, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by tt7 View Post
Really? So my AY-codeshare-on-QF flights (MEL-HKG, MEL-SIN) will continue to earn 100% EQMs? .... I don't think so. Currently, any economy ticket on AY would earn 100% EQMs - that becomes 50% except for Y and B.
If you quoted my entire post, you would have included the exact same point. I was discussing QF and CX; my post was in a thread that was just about those two partners but has since been merged into the master thread.
Old Dec 7, 15, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would not mind the reduction in SWUs if it guaranteed an upgrade on any flight of my choosing, from any fare, at any time (space available) - if there's an open seat on AA.com, I can SWU into it. Is that not a good compromise? As it is, to play the SWU game is still a bit of a gamble and quite restrictive especially when traveling overseas.
Old Dec 7, 15, 6:42 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is going to be us, when we run out of SWUs and RDMs to fly premium cabins after next year, lol:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...Mile+at+a+Time
Old Dec 7, 15, 8:23 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
CX flights in coach have almost never given any miles to AAdvantage, and QF discount coach fares generally earn only 25%. This isn't something exclusive to AA or Oneworld. When i was with UA, most NZ Y fares earned 0% miles, and many of the smaller european star airlines earned only 50%, etc.

Generally speaking if another airline's FF program awards a low amount of points/miles then AA will do the same. Not sure why you're complaining about flying EK and not being able to access a oneworld lounge. Emirates is not part of oneworld, so it really doesn't matter if you get lounge access or not. It's like if i bought a Delta flight on AA.com and then complained about not being able to access the DL Sky Club.
I fly CX frequently and used to buy 'H' class coach tickets to earn AAdvantage points. With the change, I won't even bother do that as I am switching over to earn points on CX.
Old Dec 7, 15, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by salfcl View Post
I fly CX frequently and used to buy 'H' class coach tickets to earn AAdvantage points. With the change, I won't even bother do that as I am switching over to earn points on CX.
Was your buying H class tickets on CX really of value to AA or was it of value to CX?
Old Dec 7, 15, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Was your buying H class tickets on CX really of value to AA or was it of value to CX?
CX marketing understands the USA market. H class fares transPacific would be price similar to L or M class fares in the intra-Asia market, where H class is rather expensive. If CX priced H class exUSA the same as in Asia, the AA code share flights would be priced as bargains.

This is also why the price of PEY exUSA (well at least used to be) a modest increment over the mileage earning Y fares (again unlike in Asia). And other airlines have used changes to (lower) fare classes to minimize partner earns (QF K class is now discount economy for AA)

If you fly only enough to be seriously conscious of (re)qualification levels, then you try to make certain that flights are not "wasted". And the question is - Is the flight of value to the flier who doesn't want to have to consider MRs to maintain lounge access and and access to IRROPs shortcuts.

In the end, it falls in the category of airline marketing and pricing, a black box which airline management would prefer that their flying customers didn't really understand.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 7, 15, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
For some this issue will be new and severe as in example on Finnair flights which have earned 100% until now... After jan 1 its 50% across the board...
I'm confused. The AA page for Finnair says:

For travel on or after January 1, 2016
Code:
C, D, I, J                100%    25%     1.50
Y, B                      100%     -      1.00
A, H, K, L, M, P, V       100%     -      1.00
G, N, O, Q, R, S, T, W, Z 100%     -      0.60
Looks like it's still 100%, even for deep discount QSONG.
Old Dec 7, 15, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Here's an idea. Why not provide a quality service so more people would actually want to go out of their way to fly AA?
That was in fact AA's strategy before being bought by US. AA had launched a serious plan to become a world-class airline, especially in the premium international markets. You can argue how well AA was executing on it, but it was their plan until being taken over.

Originally Posted by tt7 View Post
Years ago, AA announced it was going to codeshare on the BA flights out of LHR to SIN etc. - never happened. AA needs to codeshare on a lot more flights, particularly out of LHR to Asia and Australasia. If I'm in the UK (which I am fairly often) and I need to come home to Oz, I buy tickets from QF, BA, CX or AY - all AA has to do is codeshare on those flights and I'll buy the tickets from AA.
I suggest sending a note to Customer Relations with these points. They sum comments and give the results to management. It has resulted in changes in some cases.

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing View Post
Work policy requires us to book lowest cost in Y +/- a very small dollar amount.
How do you find fares that are "- a very small dollar amount" of the lowest cost? @:-) (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Originally Posted by Tango View Post
IMHO I disagree. The passengers in the back make or break a flight. Several empty seats can make a difference between turning a profit or not.
I have heard from AA people that they have problems with DFW-HKG selling out in F/J but being wide open in coach. I always thought F/J pay for the flight and provide profit, while Y was mostly incremental revenue. So maybe this means AA has too few F/J seats on the route.

Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
I would not mind the reduction in SWUs if it guaranteed an upgrade on any flight of my choosing, from any fare, at any time (space available) - if there's an open seat on AA.com, I can SWU into it.
This was an option that the old AA (before being bought) was exploring and had done A/B testing on with EXPs.
Old Dec 7, 15, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
I'm confused. The AA page for Finnair says:

For travel on or after January 1, 2016
Code:
C, D, I, J                100%    25%     1.50
Y, B                      100%     -      1.00
A, H, K, L, M, P, V       100%     -      1.00
G, N, O, Q, R, S, T, W, Z 100%     -      0.60
Looks like it's still 100%, even for deep discount QSONG.
That ( albeit 0.5 rather than 0.6) relates to February 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015

From January 2016

All of A, H, K, L, M, P, V, G, N, O, Q, R, S, T, W, Z are 100% miles and 50% qualifying miles

Indeed, the redeemable miles amount has not changed , but currently A, H, K, L, M, P, V,G, N, O, Q, R, S, T, W, Z all earn 100% qualifying miles whereas in January they will all only earn 50% qualifying miles
Old Dec 8, 15, 11:24 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
One of the best things about being lifetime Platinum and both knowing and not caring that I'll never be EXP again is not having to learn the new rules.
Old Dec 8, 15, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abk View Post
One of the best things about being lifetime Platinum and both knowing and not caring that I'll never be EXP again is not having to learn the new rules.
AGREED
Old Dec 8, 15, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Edit: Likely wrong thread.

Last edited by Animgif; Dec 8, 15 at 6:02 pm
Old Dec 9, 15, 2:54 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
Not only are the redeemable miles on partners not affected by the Jan 1, 2016 changes, but the EQM situation is improved on the cheapest fares. All partner discount economy fares that earn miles will now earn 0.5 EQMs per mile flown (NOT per base mile), according to the charts. On partners like BA and AS on which all (mileage-earning) fares currently earn 1.0 base miles and EQMs, that hurts. But on QF, 0.5 is a significant improvement on the cheapest fares.

Of course, this is based on the earning charts; there's no experience to report on yet. But this is pretty clear from the language on the earning charts.
That's my reading too. BA and AY fliers in discount Y get massively stiffed, but QF earning actually improves. I was abandoning AA, but if this turns out to be true in practice, I may as well stay with them as I won't do any better with the BA or QF programs. Of course, RDM are down all round, and redemptions are more expensive (albeit that was a "correction" which had been a long time coming).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: