Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mikey_m
I bought a ticket with Qantas, but it was codeshared with Emirates who isn't a One World Partner. I only received 25% of the miles, and they wouldn't let me use the One World lounge, even though I bought a ticket from Qantas who is a partner. Apparently you gotta be flying on a One World airline plane.

I was upset about this, but then I had to extend my stay in ATH and decided to just bail on my return, and buy a one way back to AUS with Cathay Pacific. After purchasing I found my fare class, and as it turns out, I get 0% of the base miles added to my AAdvantage account. Upon further reading, had I bought my ticket with Etihad (not in One World) I would have gotten 100% of my base miles, but then no Lounge Access since they aren't One World. I don't even know if Etihad would recognize my AAdvantage status at all.

These are two separate issues, and right now I'm more concerned about the 2nd one.

Is there a way to maintain my status without having to buy insanely priced full fare economy tickets?

Will the new changes make it even worse for people in my situation?
Not only are the redeemable miles on partners not affected by the Jan 1, 2016 changes, but the EQM situation is improved on the cheapest fares. All partner discount economy fares that earn miles will now earn 0.5 EQMs per mile flown (NOT per base mile), according to the charts. On partners like BA and AS on which all (mileage-earning) fares currently earn 1.0 base miles and EQMs, that hurts. But on QF, 0.5 is a significant improvement on the cheapest fares.

Of course, this is based on the earning charts; there's no experience to report on yet. But this is pretty clear from the language on the earning charts.

Last edited by ashill; Dec 8, 2015 at 7:33 am Reason: add quote to make clear who I was replying to after thread merge
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Of course you would not do that during focus groups as it would have no statistical value. (You would need a quantitative survey.)
Focus groups are often done in connection with other market research. What AA may have looked at would EXPs look the loss of 2 SWUs any different than the loss of 4 SWUs and research may have shown the answer was no. But again this is all speculation and what ifs. Fact is, it is what it is.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Focus groups are often done in connection with other market research. What AA may have looked at would EXPs look the loss of 2 SWUs any different than the loss of 4 SWUs and research may have shown the answer was no. But again this is all speculation and what ifs. Fact is, it is what it is.
This is correct. A lot of EXPs here and out in the world only do the bare minimum to gain EXP status just for Emerald Status. There is no reason for AA to give them as many SWUs as people who actually go out of their way to fly AA.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
This is correct. A lot of EXPs here and out in the world only do the bare minimum to gain EXP status just for Emerald Status. There is no reason for AA to give them as many SWUs as people who actually go out of their way to fly AA.
Here's an idea. Why not provide a quality service so more people would actually want to go out of their way to fly AA?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by SFO777
Here's an idea. Why not provide a quality service so more people would actually want to go out of their way to fly AA?
Ding ding ding, we have a winner ^^
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by vxmike
Agree. Obviously AA is done with non US flyers using AAdvantage as a holding program for non-AA flights as evidenced by the new earning tables.

It doesn't bode well for the viability of alliances as does the ever-shrinking quantity of partner award flights. Oneworld is becoming a glorified baggage interline agreement.
IMO it is still the best of the three. At least its not like KLM/AF that block award F bookings for DL members.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFO777
It does provide a quality service - it is a service and has a type of quality - though I don't know many who would call it a high quality service
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
IMO it is still the best of the three. At least its not like KLM/AF that block award F bookings for DL members.
In all fairness, pretty much all the other SkyTeam partners that offer 3-class F products--China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, Garuda, Korean, and Saudi also block F award space to DL.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:58 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by kauppias
They can be done with non AA fliers but good luck with that NON AA fliers still bring in A LOT of revenue 😂 If AA only wants flyers that fly ONLY AA metal the world is a mighty small pond
+1

Years ago, AA announced it was going to codeshare on the BA flights out of LHR to SIN etc. - never happened. AA needs to codeshare on a lot more flights, particularly out of LHR to Asia and Australasia. If I'm in the UK (which I am fairly often) and I need to come home to Oz, I buy tickets from QF, BA, CX or AY - all AA has to do is codeshare on those flights and I'll buy the tickets from AA.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Basically, all the airlines are saying that Y travelers have no loyalty that is worthy of being rewarded.

The solution is simple - react rationally:

1. Loyalty programs are pretty meaningless at the lower levels. If you are paying substantially more to fly AA on any given route, ask yourself why?

2. Figure out what are the benefits that matter to you. If it's lounge access, get whichever of the following cards serves you best:

- AMEX Platinum (AMEX + DL + weak sauce Priority Pass)
- Citi Prestige (Priority Pass + AA)
- United Club (UA + *A Business Lounges)

If it's checked bags, get the $95 AF (usually free in Year 1) card for the airlines you need to fly or switch to WN.

The only benefit you can't easily buy is rebooking/re-accommodation priority.

I suspect I'll renew my status in 2016 but won't go out of my way to do it. Work policy requires us to book lowest cost in Y +/- a very small dollar amount.

The two things that have me stuck right now are: MCE upon booking and rebooking/re-accommodation priority although the latter might be taken care of with AAdmirals Club access where that applies since the phone waits have become insane.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:09 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by ashill
Not only are the redeemable miles on partners not affected by the Jan 1, 2016 changes, but the EQM situation is improved on the cheapest fares.
Really? So my AY-codeshare-on-QF flights (MEL-HKG, MEL-SIN) will continue to earn 100% EQMs? .... I don't think so. Currently, any economy ticket on AY would earn 100% EQMs - that becomes 50% except for Y and B.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Don't be surprised if this "net plus" in 2016 is no longer available for doing 18 months from now. And by then you'll have already been hit by the reduction of your SWUs and by the less valuable miles earned from flight and partner activity. Welcome to the path of incremental cutting.

More lipstick on the pig
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Customers like you who grab cheap MR flights and side trips are exactly the ones that AA and the other airlines want to fire. It looks like you will both be happy with the new arrangement. What you did in the past has no bearing on the ability of AA to run their business in 2016 and beyond.

Its not personal, and it never was. Its just business.
IMHO I disagree. The passengers in the back make or break a flight. Several empty seats can make a difference between turning a profit or not.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Even with AA charging $30/$35 per over 500 miles for Golds and PLTs I can assure you that an empty F seat is rare. So why would AA give up this revenue source if its consistently filling the F cabin (albeit some of those are EXPs, award tixs, copays, paid F). I would agree the most difficult downgrade is the drop of 8 SWUs to 4 SWUs but nothing compared to if AA had gone to a spend requirement for elite status.
Stay tuned for changes for the 2017 year. Expect the announcement to made late November 2016. Minimum spend will match what Delta and United now have in place. Why would AA do anything different.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Umm, many people of various tiers go out of their way to fly AA. Some will take less desirable routings and times while others will pay more. The assumption that that one isn't going out of their way to fly AA because they're not a high level EXP is silly.

You wouldn't have as many elites of any tier if people didn't go out of their ways to fly AA instead of kayaking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.