Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SS255
US also had an electronic upgrade system years ago. CP's and a companion got upgraded for free. Silvers and Golds (this was before the US-HP merger, so there was no Platinum level) earned something like four 500-mile e-upgrades for each 10K miles flown on US metal. I can't remember when it switched to free upgrades for all elites -- sometime around 2003, I think -- but I do recall the uproar by CP's when US converted all of the lower level elites' 500-milers into RDM's.

AND, US used to give ALL elites two SWU's per year.
I remember when US would send out certificates in the mail for each 10K miles of elite flying. You would call within a certain period (depending upon status) to be upgraded or waitlisted. I can remember those days of setting the alarm for 1155PM so that at 12:00:01 I could call into the 800 number to be upgraded-pre Internet days.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ronniefastback
Regarding the "stickers"..... yeah, I'm fully aware of the 500 mile upgrades. I don't like them. I don't see the need for them. The # I have keeps growing because I can't use them. And some flights having 30+ on the upgrade list means there are plenty who want to use, but can't. On US, we didn't have that junk.... your preferred, if there's a seat you get it. On AA, you could have preferreds on the plane with no upgrades and potentially have 1st class seats sit empty on a flight if there we no 500 mile upgrades available. It will never happen because there are too many out there, but it's possible. That just seems stupid to me.... but I assume there's a reason for it....
If you are EXP then you don't earn segment upgrades, so if the number you have is growing, then you are PLT or GLD. For those elites, segment upgrades actually make it more likely that your upgrade will clear. With systems such as what US had, where all elites get domestic upgrades for free, each elite is competing against all other elites at the same or higher level. With AA's system, GLD and PLT elites decide segment by segment if they want an upgrade enough to spend segment upgrades for it. So, PLTs who decide to spend segment upgrades are competing against other PLTs who also decided to, which is a subset of all the PLTs. Likewise for GLDs.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What proportion of EXPs don't spend enough money on travel to meet or exceed the amount of money that DL/UA has for Diamond/1K spending qualification?
I think there are a number of EXPs who spend most of their money for premium international travel where much of the flying is on partners. If AA had a minimum spend and only counted revenue allocated to AA flights, this could cut those EXPs.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
However, I would tend to believe that there is a larger share of MR/leisure EXPs here on FT.
I resemble that remark (Leisure, [B]not[/B MR, though). For us, it would depend on the magnitude of the spend requirement.

Then again, as I just extended a trip by one day to see David Gilmour at Radio City Music Hall, I'd say that we're somewhat flexible in areas of travel arrangements

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
I heard they focus-group tested slashing SWUs to 6 and 4, and the screaming was the same, so management figured, if the pain's the same, go with 4.
This makes me feel so dirty inside.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by SS255
US also had an electronic upgrade system years ago. CP's and a companion got upgraded for free. Silvers and Golds (this was before the US-HP merger, so there was no Platinum level) earned something like four 500-mile e-upgrades for each 10K miles flown on US metal. I can't remember when it switched to free upgrades for all elites -- sometime around 2003, I think -- but I do recall the uproar by CP's when US converted all of the lower level elites' 500-milers into RDM's.

AND, US used to give ALL elites two SWU's per year.
I remember the paper upgrades issued per 10K miles flown. When it was USAir (and Priority Gold) they were one-way upgrades. Then they went to (IIRC) 800-mile upgrades when it became Dividend Miles. But I think CPs initially were issued upgrade certificates; they just earned more per 10K miles flown. However, they later went to electronic upgrades and you could exchange your paper upgrades for FF miles by mailing them in. And it was like 40K FF miles per each 10 you sent in. And I had a lot of those. I think the unlimited upgrades thing happend after the merger in 2005.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
Booo

No, I'm not happy w/the changes, I won't benefit at all and will lose even when following the same flying routine that has me solidly plat for many years. AA is a for profit airline and they clearly are gearing their awards program towards those that spend more, I understand that. But I don't have to like it. So now, without doing anything differently, I'll fly to LA and earn a fraction of the miles I formally earned and redemption rates are way, way up. It will take much, much longer to earn that F seat to HKG. Noth'n special anymore, just another sky pesos program... (well, not quite... )
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

...(I heard they focus-group tested slashing SWUs to 6 and 4, and the screaming was the same, so management figured, if the pain's the same, go with 4.)
You heard that where??
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You heard that where??
PM sent.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

PM sent.
While it's certainly true that there was at one time the number 6 out there instead of 4 (for CK-- not EP) :

I personally don't buy the idea that that has anything to do with a focus group and especially that any focus group of Exec Plats would have told them "eh. 6, 4 -- no matter"

But hey, anything's possible!

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 5, 2015 at 11:32 am
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JonNYC

I personally don't buy the idea that that has anything to do with a focus group and especially that any focus group of Exec Plats would have told them "eh. 6, 4 -- no matter"
I don't think it was suggested that they went "no - matter" , just suggested that the level of antipathy was equally high at 6 as for 4
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think it was suggested that they went "no - matter" , just suggested that the level of antipathy was equally high at 6 as for 4
Yes, and I'm dismissing that.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:38 pm

Or that AA interpreted the level of antipathy as being equivalent.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If questions were on a scale , something like - very dissatisifed through to very satisfied , that if different questions were asked regarding 4 and 6 upgrades being given, the I can believe that both would be at very dissatisfied

If asked "would you prefer 4 upgrades or 6" , then I would not believe that both would be rated equally
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:54 pm

...If asked "would you prefer 4 upgrades or 6" , then I would not believe that both would be rated equally
Holding all things constant, anyone choosing 4 would be tossed out of a proper survey. Why would anyone choose lower?

Studies like this also are done to gauge how to mitigate the fallout will be - promote change x or y. The decision has been made, now we are focused on how to disseminate the information the best way possible.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
And anyone could have predicted the same negative response. "Do you still want 8 SWUs or 6?" versus "Do you still want 8 SWUs or 4?" I think all of the responses would have been the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.