Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 19, 15, 6:27 am

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by 3galsontour View Post
My question is it worth it to try and push for EXP just once? Or is the value of that goal so reduced that logic suggests don't bother and save the time/$ for something more productive?

I will be about 25000 EQP's short for EXP this year. I had decided that I was going to try for EXP next year because 25,000 seemed a little too much for December (flying back from Burma early Dec). It did seem logical to start early in 2016 and go for it.

Given the new playing field I am actually lost as to if my standard accumulation ways will work - I do a bit of big ticket (ASia (P), UK a few times) that this year benefitted from the promotions and have been loyal to AA on the domestic but in the back.
Any similar thinking and your conclusions are helpful.
If you are going to do it just once, this may be the year to do it. You will still earn 8 systems upgrades and when the RDM changes hit, you will earn 11 miles per dollar. You would need to weigh if the cost of earning those 25K additional EQP and the time to do the mileage run (or mini-vacation) in December is worth it to you.
Old Nov 19, 15, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
If you are going to do it just once, this may be the year to do it.
Absolutely!
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:09 am

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
EQMs counted towards LT miles?

If they change this particular structure I will definitely purchased J fare outright. All AA has to do is to follow DL's scheme of counting all MQMs towards LT mileage count.

I found some J seats ex-HKG that cost $4k, with maximum BIS of 32k miles, so the EQMs will be 64k EQM. If you do LGA-HKG four times for $4k, you get roughly 72k EQMs, so not that much of difference.

Previous earning structure of EQMs seem to count directly to LT, because you fly 10k, you get 10k EQMs(eligible 100% base miles), and 10k LT miles
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
My two cents on these changes:

Mileage redemption is taking a hit.
Mileage earning is taking a hit.
Program rules are becoming very complex and that is the worst thing.
Simplicity and full transparency always trump everything else and the Advantage program is becoming needlessly complex.
Filling the back of the aircraft is just as important as selling business and first class cabins. The new program does not promote this as the people in the back of the plane will pay more attention to price, not loyalty.
American has not figured out that the most valuable customers are the ones in premium economy. British, CX and Qantas have figured this out. AA obviously is behind the curve on this.
Just wait for the 2017 enhancement (that they will announce late 2016)---a minimum spend requirement ala Delta and United.

It would have been refreshing to see AA come out with a really innovative program as they were the ones that created the frequent flyer program. What we have now is a needlessly complicated cut and paste program from Delta.
Yep. It's also not zero-sum, i.e. more is being taken away from some than is being given to others. A revenue play, in other words, brought to you by consolidation and oligopolistic behavior. The U.S. oligopoly is treating its passengers much like European national carriers have treated theirs for years, i.e. we don't really think we have to work that hard (anymore) for your loyalty.

I switched the mile accumulation to AA this year but hedged a bit by just getting to gold mostly on one Asia trip. Low-fare Asia, India and Middle East travelers get hit hardest, giving an opportunity for the GULF carriers to come in if they have a better deal (also Chinese/Taiwanese ones flying to the west coast).

Another airline that could capitalize if smart is Spirit, as they will have (for now at least) a more generous program on RDMs. Unfortunately they also have Ben Baldanza, who was bad about trying to make programs less generous while at US and is a bad candidate for being a white knight here. Then again, maybe he can change his ways and start promoting the Spirit program as more rewarding, since NK and AA are in a price war on many routes.

Eventually the infrequent-flying Joe Sixpack will listen to enough local news reports or others and get the message that you just don't earn enough miles by flying anymore to make it worthwhile. And the tie-in promotions won't help you that much, either. For a credit card you'd need a level of annual spend higher than most peoples'...if you need 3 or 4 years to get to an award then you've "paid" for the free ticket in annual fees, so you might as well go a different route with a cash back card or something like that.

Would agree that the losses will start in the back of the plane, especially if WN and the LCCs and ULCCs can spot the opportunity and take their own FFPs more seriously (starting with loosening the expiration policies).

The revenue-play part of this smells very much like it's being egged on by Wall Street, which of course has a history of pushing moves for short-term gain that blow up in the long term. In this case that'd be at the next black-swan event like 9/11 or SARS or something like that, when they'd find the mailing list with the engaged and semi-engaged way depleted. Focusing on a relative few "quality" customers won't help you then, as those people have to travel for business anyway and don't have much ability to give you more business. Run off the coach passengers to LCCs and ULCCs and it'll be hard to get them back. A weakened Oneworld also won't be much to crow about.

I can't say this was unexpected but it's nonetheless disappointing.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Absolutely!
There's a reason I did a 1K challenge right before UA instituted revenue based RDMs (that and I got a few dirt cheap 2-2.5 cpm fares ), so if I "wasn't" EXP I'd consider it this year.

Plus, even if you go be a free agent post-revenue miles with AA, you'll still have a decent amount of time earning 11x as EXP instead of 5x as a general member, for those times when AA is indeed the best option independent of mileage earnings. For me as an example, even as a free agent, being AUS based means AA will still work out well enough for me quite often.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
If they change this particular structure I will definitely purchased J fare outright. All AA has to do is to follow DL's scheme of counting all MQMs towards LT mileage count.

I found some J seats ex-HKG that cost $4k, with maximum BIS of 32k miles, so the EQMs will be 64k EQM. If you do LGA-HKG four times for $4k, you get roughly 72k EQMs, so not that much of difference.

Previous earning structure of EQMs seem to count directly to LT, because you fly 10k, you get 10k EQMs(eligible 100% base miles), and 10k LT miles
No sign of them pegging million-mile miles to anything other than flown miles at this point.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
+1. Added complexity is not good and can be a turnoff, despite what beancounters think. They must know this already from customer studies (?)
I agree 100% there as well.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I think Jon's warning would have to be taken to be correct - the note suggests the actual elite bonuses are subject to revision prior to the actual date of go-live. I would imagine that even the most optimistic individual (that would be me) would be surprised if we didn't go to a 25/50/100 bonus structure, so plats would earn less.

The interesting fact is that on a cheap-ish premium fare, like a BA ex-Dub F or J fare which, to the west coast, can be had for 3.4k or 2k respectively on a good day, we could be choosing between more miles, less EQMs on BA-coded flights vs less miles, more EQMs on AA-coded flights. Unless SWUs really matter, this would probably push me to book BA.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:16 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
If you're jumping ship, why not do a status match? That takes the question marks out of it. The only lounge access you might be entitled to with AA would be for international flights, and in that case your card would be sufficient and your AAdvantage number needn't be on the booking to benefit.
Thanks. Yeah, would be requesting a status match from AS after my next trip on AA.

I guess I won't be able to make use any of the other AA perks (SWU, priority boarding, seat selection) if I chalk my future flights to AS.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:20 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MarkedMan View Post
I think Jon's warning would have to be taken to be correct - the note suggests the actual elite bonuses are subject to revision prior to the actual date of go-live. I would imagine that even the most optimistic individual (that would be me) would be surprised if we didn't go to a 25/50/100 bonus structure, so plats would earn less.
Appreciate the vote of confidence, of course! Just want to be extra-clear; I'm only going by the publicly available info -and- that one line in the training materials-- which may or may not be determinative. So, just to be 100% clear on that.

Further, travelingbetter.com is completely off-line for the immediate future and that means I don't have access to my PMs there-- which is crippling-- so I'm flying 100% (or 75%, anyway) "blind" on any amendments to the changes for now.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer View Post
I went through this when Delta made these changes and I think I finally grasp now who benefits, and it's not me. It's people like my friends in the oil industry who travel to Africa six times a year, in paid business, at around $10,000 a flight round trip. They have status but don't really need it, and are happy to earn 420,000 miles per year and just as happy to redeem those 420,000 miles every year for a single pair of anytime Business Class tickets somewhere like Europe or Asia.
Delta caps mileage earned per ticket at 75k. To get around this limit on high fare tickets, buying two one ways vs round trip can earn you 150k miles. The cost difference between a round trip vs two one ways is only marginally more.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Delta caps mileage earned per ticket at 75k. To get around this limit on high fare tickets, buying two one ways vs round trip can earn you 150k miles. .
With the same cap for 2016 AAdv, I guess folks here will do the same, in cases where it's worth it.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:28 am

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
No sign of them pegging million-mile miles to anything other than flown miles at this point.
I understand that, but how they are gonna program it? In current earning structure:

1. One flies 10k miles in a ticket, 100% base miles, so 10k EQM, 10k LT.
2. One flies 10k miles in a ticket, 50% base miles, so 5k EQM, 5k LT.

The current structure seems to tie the EQM and LT directly.

If they want more premium tickets, just make EQM count towards LT, then I am the first person to pay $4k J ticket to forget about the upgrade game. (Well, still have to use up the four eVIPs...)
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by salfcl View Post
Thanks. Yeah, would be requesting a status match from AS after my next trip on AA.

I guess I won't be able to make use any of the other AA perks (SWU, priority boarding, seat selection) if I chalk my future flights to AS.
If you have AS status matched from AA, priority boarding and seat selection are similar benefits for AS elites on AA as they are for AA elites on AA, so no problem there. SWUs can be applied to any booking, so you can apply an SWU to your booking with an AS Mileage Plan number on it, no problems there–the only downside comes if you have to waitlist, as your AA status won't help if your AAdvantage number isn't on the booking. Presumably you could waitlist with your AAdvantage number in the booking, and once the SWU clears you can then change the FF# to Mileage Plan, though that can't be done online and would need to be done by a human.

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
The current structure seems to tie the EQM and LT directly.
Negative, Ghost Rider: EQM and Million Miler miles are different.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:40 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul View Post
I feel I have been murdered twice by AA. ...First when they took over US Airways Dividend miles...And now with the MASSIVE DEVALUATION..
Any other dividend miles members feel the same?
Moderaters please do not move this thread...
Thanx
Since US Airways purchased AA, isn't it that US took over AAdvantage and devalued the program?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: