Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zoombee
Am I reading this right: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/british.aspx

Flying BA in D class and crediting to Alaska with MVP Gold status gives you 3.5 x flown miles as RDMs and 2.5 times flown miles as EQM? (*). Note: other airlines are 2.25 x RDM and 1.25 x EQM so this is BA specific.

If that is true after the switch to $ based RDM earning on AA then Alaska is a very interesting place to park say JNB-LHR-DXB on BA on a DONEx -- 45% of the way to MVP Gold in two segments and way more RDMs than you could earn on AA (though god knows exactly what RDMs you'd earn from AA for those 2 of 16 segments in an xONEx: good luck working out the $ value of it).
I would hold off a while and see whether AS sticks with its current model or whether it will decide to revamp its scheme in a manner similar to AA et al
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
After watching frequent flyer benefits erode for the last 20 years, this pretty much is the last straw for me. What's the point in chasing status anymore? AA fares are often 3X the fares on DL or UA out of Charlotte, depending on the destination. I am just going to take the lowest fare going forward, connection or not. Bye bye US/AA it was fun.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by scubadu
Do you think they haven't already put consideration into the values they've chosen? Do you think they worked this all out last weekend over a couple hour pizza party at Doug's house?
I was merely opining of what I believe "value" is to a Platinum such as myself. I don't need to be spoken to in a condescending manner either.

Parker et.al as well as countless other management have been known to make poor business decisions.

Originally Posted by austin_modern
The flights I constantly take as a plat will earn 1/2 the points on the 8x scheme. That isn't worth it no matter how much they screw everyone else. Shrug.
I'm not surprised they devalued but I'm simply not happy how Platinums have gotten screwed (at least when it comes to RDM's) over compared to non-AA elites and Gold.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You would like others to be negatively impacted so that you can feel better about what you receive?
Without being tautological, all are being impacted and I don't see the value (at least when it comes to RDM's) between non-Advantage elites and Gold compared to Platinums.

I don't believe I can make myself any clearer.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Without being tautological, all are being impacted and I don't see the value (at least when it comes to RDM's) between non-Advantage elites and Gold compared to Platinums.

The suggestion of lowering base earnings seems to be nothing that benefits a platinum member other than a feeling superior to those getting less

It may have been interpreted as tautological, but the intent was that how does making it worse for gold/base members actually benefit a platinum member
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:47 pm
tyr

My business travel is currently UK to USA west coast about 7-8 times a year, entirely in economy. What I value most from the FF program is anything that makes the long journey that little bit more bearable. Specifically lounge access (showers and alcohol!) and access to better seating (anything with more legroom is a big boon).

The RDM earned has always been a good bonus but its always struck me as extremely generous. I've been able to book 2 first class RTW journeys in the last couple of years, mostly on the back of O fares, it was never going to last.

These changes will actually make elite status earning a bit easier, since the occasional vacation on a J ticket will now earn a useful EQM bonus rather than the additional EQP not counting for much when most tickets were discount economy.

This year I will make EXP for the first time, partly due to a personal trip in Dec to take me over the threshold. I'm looking forward to the SWU's next year and obviously disappointed that there will be fewer in the future, but as the status will be easier to achieve it doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

Additionally earning EQM on BA will be at 0.5 rather than the 0.25 it was going to be for O fares, so that's a surprising bonus (obviously RDM stays at 0.25). Upgrading one half of a return to WTP will net an overall EQM earn rate of 100%, and normally those upgrades aren't too crazily expensive.

All in all, not great, but not the end of the world either.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AP, UA, AA
MURDERED TWICE BY AA..Former US AIRWAYS MEMBER

I feel I have been murdered twice by AA. ...First when they took over US Airways Dividend miles...And now with the MASSIVE DEVALUATION..
Any other dividend miles members feel the same?
Moderaters please do not move this thread...
Thanx
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul

Moderaters please do not move this thread...
Why not?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:02 pm

They say the postman always rings twice.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Actually, the USAirways team took over AA.
And THAT team (Dougie et al) is the old America West team that took over USAir.

The pattern seems to be that every few years they get bored, buy a new airline and move to the new city.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We won't move it for now; we'll close it for now, and after some housekeeping we will move it. And please do recall Messrs Parker and Kirby are at the helm of AA at this time, as they have been since the merger. :

/Moderator
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
NK and G4 are significantly larger than VX, and both have better operating margins than VX or B6.
And both are growing faster than VX. Which proves your point that if cabotage rules are lifted, it's not Emirates that will rush in. But Ryanair and easyJet.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
I was merely opining of what I believe "value" is to a Platinum such as myself. I don't need to be spoken to in a condescending manner either.

Parker et.al as well as countless other management have been known to make poor business decisions.

I'm not surprised they devalued but I'm simply not happy how Platinums have gotten screwed (at least when it comes to RDM's) over compared to non-AA elites and Gold.

The only group that really gets some benefit out of the new program are the current platinums, because the EQM changes make it much easier to reach EXP with pretty much the same level of flying (or maybe a tad more). So the current 75k miles a year platinum is the big winner here. Everyone else loses.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nk15
The only group that really gets some benefit out of the new program are the current platinums, because the EQM changes make it much easier to reach EXP with pretty much the same level of flying (or maybe a tad more). So the current 75k miles a year platinum is the big winner here. Everyone else loses.
A subset of PLTs will indeed do better in 2016 than they did in 2015 -- but my bet is that the changes will be as intended and benefit a minority of PLTs by pushing them up to EXP status (albeit with reduced benefits compared to EXPs this year).

Padding the EXP herd? Probably, and all grooming for a culling of the herd and the herd's benefits. Even at the EXP level.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:52 pm

My two cents on these changes:

Mileage redemption is taking a hit.
Mileage earning is taking a hit.
Program rules are becoming very complex and that is the worst thing.
Simplicity and full transparency always trump everything else and the Advantage program is becoming needlessly complex.
Filling the back of the aircraft is just as important as selling business and first class cabins. The new program does not promote this as the people in the back of the plane will pay more attention to price, not loyalty.
American has not figured out that the most valuable customers are the ones in premium economy. British, CX and Qantas have figured this out. AA obviously is behind the curve on this.
Just wait for the 2017 enhancement (that they will announce late 2016)---a minimum spend requirement ala Delta and United.

It would have been refreshing to see AA come out with a really innovative program as they were the ones that created the frequent flyer program. What we have now is a needlessly complicated cut and paste program from Delta.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A subset of PLTs will indeed do better in 2016 than they did in 2015 -- but my bet is that the changes will be as intended and benefit a minority of PLTs by pushing them up to EXP status (albeit with reduced benefits compared to EXPs this year).
My travel this past year at a PLT would have easily pushed me to EXP under the new rules. As you say, though, it won't be with quite the same benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.