Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Fanjet
For anyone who thinks this, I suggest purchasing a domestic Y ticket on a carrier which you have no status on. Then get back to us with a trip report.
Want me to do one for my G4 flight I did last month? It actually wasn't that bad and was far cheaper than any AA ticket I've EVER paid for (even the honored mistake ones ).
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pineapplejet
the one thing good about delta they did not copy over.
UA didn't copy it either, so I guess they're following them instead of DL.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Ambassador
System-wides are unfortunate, but I imagine it was a choice to cut the allotment or the eligible fare classes. I think they made the right call.

Wish the rest of these changes had been in place last year. Probably would have earned at least 100k extra points / miles, even though I started the year as a plat. Would have also probably made EP based on the published criteria (flew mostly discount domestic first) versus a revenue exception at the tail end of the year.

It's pretty clear what they're doing with these two changes though, trying to win loyalty from customers who buy into first because they can fill coach regardless right now.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Except it's not just USA-based airlines devaluing their charts, so that fails as an explanation. AC? Check. BA? Check. AF/KL? Check. LH? Check. AV? Check. NH? Check.

That's a lot of airlines that aren't AA/DL/UA who've devalued their award charts.
That's why I had not flown AC for the last decade ...it was always AA, despite the non-direct route - because of AAdvantage.

No reason to stick around with AA with this change ...convenience, service and price become more important
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:23 am

Less EXPs in 2017???
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 200nites
Never expected anything different from this Parker led Mgt. team...just about everything is being degraded (although I do give them credit for purchasing new aircraft) including # of First seats, private label snacks in first, etc.

Thank goodness I hit the 2M mark and have reduced my flying (of course who knows if million miler program will continue)
Parker is looking forward to a big bonus in 2016, thanks to the gutting of the FFP. AA will scoop up all the high-rev pax and become the most profitable airline in the country. Thumbs up for Parker.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by salfcl
AA will scoop up all the high-rev pax..
With what? Their industry leading product? LOL!

Why on Earth would an HVC choose AA over DL or UA where they have better products and a spend requirement for status?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nyczreklis
Less EXPs in 2017???
More EXPs that are incidental (and perhaps less "loyal") EXPs -- that's my bet.

First you boost the size of the herd. Then you can afford to slaughter and fleece the herd without being as concerned about people (even legitimately) crying wolf.

DL leads the way, and that was DL's path.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
How many of us have stayed in bad relationships longer than we should have because of the perks we got from the other that would be hard to find elsewhere?
But many times vice-versa as well!

Left a less-than-ideal situation in search of a unrealistic, idealized, grass-is-greener, better one.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
We all keep telling ourselves that there will be less competition for the same number of award seats but there are never the same number of award seats. AA availability keeps going down further and further and further.
Originally Posted by javabytes
From those who have already been there with the DL and UA conversions to revenue-based mileage accrual: don't count on having less competition to redeem / more availability.
In absolute terms, perhaps, but you need to look in the context of what market prices and overall demand has been doing on its own. It's easy to say that award availability has shrunk over the past few years and that the number of miles has increased, "devaluing' the programs, but you should really be looking at what each mile is saving you in dollars you would have actually spent otherwise. Sure, it was a breeze to redeem 25K miles for a coach domestic ticket 5-7 years ago compared to the scenario today where you likely need more miles, but the market price of those same tickets is likely 2x greater on many routes. I'd rather use 35K miles to replace a $600 ticket than 25K miles to replace a $300 ticket.

I'm not saying that these changes will suddenly cause AA award availability to suddenly open up. Rather, it may not improve it at all. But if it helps stabilize it as market prices and general demand for seats creep up, that's a good thing and may boost the actual value of banked miles over time.

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
LH, NH, OZ F awards are just as hard as they were before UA deval. Suffice to say you will be paying more for awards with the exact same availability. The floodgates will open with more bank and cc bonuses, its just miles inflation.
The biggest impact should be domestic UA awards. International and partner travel introduces other variables. RE: CC bonuses - They've been aggressive for years and I doubt they'll be more plentiful than they currently are. Also, those who earn primarily via CC (I'm one of them) don't tend to fly as much as those who earn via BIS.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Also, it's a dangerous fallacy to link the number of miles you receive to their value. If one day your boss decided to start paying you 30% less, the dollars you receive in your paycheck don't suddenly increase in value.
That's because paying you less won't make a marked impact on inflation. But AA minting substantially fewer miles and statuses will help counter award inflation, even while market price inflation creeps up, as noted above.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
But many times vice-versa as well!

Left a less-than-ideal situation in search of a unrealistic, idealized, grass-is-greener, better one.
Usually, if the grass is greener elsewhere, it's because it's fertilized with BS.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
More EXPs that are incidental (and perhaps less "loyal") EXPs -- that's my bet.

First you boost the size of the herd. Then you can afford to slaughter and fleece the herd without being as concerned about people (even legitimately) crying wolf.

DL leads the way, and that was DL's path.
Exactly.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I am mostly disappointed in the big increase to redeem miles as I use these mostly for my wife travel, for the SWU I'm struggling to use them every year, I keep giving them away to colleagues or to upgrade from J to F, which I can definitely live without.

On the earning side, it will make me feel better when I pay last minute ticket at a very high price, at least I'll get more out of my money in terms of RDM.

For the rest, I would have like that at least OW F get 2RDM per miles flown.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by salfcl
Parker is looking forward to a big bonus in 2016, thanks to the gutting of the FFP. AA will scoop up all the high-rev pax and become the most profitable airline in the country. Thumbs up for Parker.
Why on earth would a high-value pax switch to AA at all? Especially now?

All they'd get are longer bag waits, less service, fewer amenities in-flight, and ancient planes (unless they already live in a hub city)

If UA/DL were really cutthroat, they'd immediately push their FFPs closer to AA's old model, and poach a ton of customers overnight.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:03 am

This is likely common knowledge around here, but for those who may be wondering:

I tweeted at Alaska Air last night, and their rep did confirm that they will status match customers coming over from AA.

Just FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.