Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Platy
OK, I'll admit I've only read about half of all of the posts so far, but I'm dumbfounded at the cries of catastrophe and misplaced sense of entitlement/interpretation of the definition of "loyalty"!

Take the example above from mvoight - you fly for what, $300 odd return, and pick up 10,000 points currently: but those points would cost something like $200 to purchase outright - so the two flights have effectively cost you $100.

Eight trips (80,000 points) would get you a one way SYD-LHR in first class worth around $7,000 on QF or EY (the latter being a whole first class suite - start of the art - best in the sky)...

...so eight return trips at $2,400 cash gets you $7,000 worth of value in a redemption in addition to 16 flights taken and you wonder why AA is changing the program?!

Airlines are making a profit.
The planes are flying full.
Fuel is cheap.
The economy is spluttering into life (at least until your horrendous debt bubble and money printing stuffs us all up again).
Other airlines changed their programs some time ago.
Many airlines are curbing the earn rate and inter-earn rate on discount economy fares.

Airlines are on the upside of the cycle - they don't need to reward you to the same extent anymore!

Is it frustrating, sure, I have 650,000 points in AA myself, but placed in context, not as much of a disaster as some might perceive.
This is sort of the nail on the head here. Things have been way too good for way too long...like I mentioned, the only thing I'm not too pleased with is the SWU reduction, the rest I can understand/live with.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:37 am

Sitting here shaking my head, wondering why I spent a good hour reading 20 pages of mostly complaining. How can you complain about FREE? If anything about these changes have you taking a Xanax, you need to reevaluate.

AA changing their program to match spend is a good business model. Reward those that drive your success, and weed out those that post about raping you on sites like this.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Mainly as an LEISURE FF PLT I'm pretty disgusted by the way that some of the EXP's act/post around this renewal.

I'd like to see their faces if one day they'll exclude business travel from any FF benefits.

If you ask me they should actually start rewarding companies in order for them to reduce travel expenses.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
The biggest issue, IMHO, is the drastic devaluation in miles for international J&F redemption. Especially considering that you often have to use an AAnytime award just to get the flight you want, with availability what it is right now. Perhaps a higher mileage cost will increase availability, but it's quite a devaluation of my existing miles.

All this and SPG likely losing its best value to Marriott Rewards in the same week. I guess I will probably start just buying on raw price/value now for travel, rather than giving any preference or loyalty to a specific brand. I anticipate a lot more travel on Virgin America and assorted Virtuoso hotels for me.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:57 am

This is a three part Poo sandwich

AA can do what it wants... they are a big company and we have no power to stop them. None.

As for the program changes, there are no surprises...this was predicted by many a long time ago.... but, there is no other way to describe the changes, it is a poo sandwich!

January 2016 -
New program reduces benefits/features for (I guess) 95%+ of AA Elites, including 8 SWU to 4, bonus upgrades from 6 to 4 and lower mileage earning. EQP is basically renamed EQM, as in 2016 you get bonus EQM for flying higher class of service.

Mid 2016 -
Mileage based to ticket price. Most mileage tickets will require more miles.

2017 -
Expect spend requirements on "001" stock. (No data to back it up.... but I had no data to backup AA aligning with DL and UA on program requirements.)

It is the poo sandwich many of us predicted a long time ago. If anything, I guess we can be happy it is being phased in. As I said before, AA is a publicly traded company and it can do anything it wants.

Like AA, we will all act in our own best interests... stay with AA or bail.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Why couldnt they copy the rollover eqm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Shakaboy78
If you're company is paying for your first class tickets, you're earning enough miles to take the family on vacation with nothing out of pocket. If YOU are paying for your first class tickets, then I agree with you.
Find 4.5 award available tickets during high demand vacation periods is near impossible. If you can afford paid J for biz travel, you pay cash for vacations.

Who pays for the biz travel is irrelevant of course.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
I do not understand the refusal to give 2.0 or 3.0 EQM's to passengers on the JBA flights. IIRC, it doesn't matter financially to AA who the operator is nor whose number is on the flight. So why penalize those of us who prefer to book the operator's flight number in order to avoid problems dealing with *IB* customer service down the line (which usually seems unable to provide pre-travel assistance when it is an AA code on an IB flight)??

RDM's aren't a big deal to me, but I find the reduction in SWU's, the inferior treatment of OW partner business/first fares, and the 1-month reduction in the status year to be unnecessary and insulting changes. I would like to hear someone from AA explain the logic of those 3 moves (not just give PR spin, and not just say "because we can").
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
Why couldnt they copy the rollover eqm
the one thing good about delta they did not copy over.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
The BIG 3 US airlines don't care about those in the back, no matter who they are. They do care about those in the front and want to make certain they paid for it. The loyalty of yesterday is gone. The points are devalued. The stock prices went up.

Note that many of these changes came from people on forums like this. You all helped the airlines learn about the things that favored you, not them. Keep that in mind the next time you post something.
Can the BIG 3 be profitable without the kettle class, I wonder?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:02 am

This whole "devaluing miles" complaint is interesting. Those miles were never "worth" more than the airline which gave them to you said they were worth.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Cheese for the whine

The amount of whining is unbearable. If you don't like it.... leave. More for the rest of us.

The value I get from being EXP with comp upgrades is plenty for me. What value do I place on all the comp upgrades I received? I have over 80 upgrades this year. HUUUUGGGEEE value in my book (160 stickers at $30 = $4800 minimum) so the RDMs are icing on the cake. I redeem them for 2 RT to Europe in coach for another $6000.

I do see that in the future with the 40 tag on stickers many will choose to shop early and get discounted first. Many times the difference between coach and first is under 200. That in turn may decrease the supply of empty seats for comp and sticker UGs.

In all I see this as a plus for the airline and healthy airlines are good for all of us. As an EXP the program is great. The rest of the levels it has never been great in terms of comp upgrades. I do see gold and plats shopping more for discounted first instead of using stickers. That will get them EQMs faster too. Definitely the 2X EQM may push people to buy discounted rather than stickers and lotteries.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by SFO777
If AA thinks this will induce many of us to buy more AA premium tickets, good luck with that. So much easier and quicker to qualify now. And then we can all play the field. With some highly discounted transcon F ticket purchases, I'll re-qualify for EXP by the end of February, my earliest ever. And for the lowest out-of-pocket ever. Then what?

I don't need RDMs and only use SWUs for domestic flights. With a ridiculous 50K needed for another 2 SWUs, I see no incentive to continue to fly AA on anything other that what I've always done... on the cheapest Y ticket on routes where I'm virtually assured of an upgrade. No need to spend more money later each year on mileage runs. Probably not their intent, but thanks AA!

So, this EXP will be flying a lot more UA and DL paid domestic First, both of which offer a better and, from DEN, more convenient domestic experience.
With many many more EXPs "graduating" quicker than ever in 2016 for 2017, it seems quite obvious that yesterday's changes are only the first of 2 waves and that there will very quickly (2017?) be the creation of an elite level above EXP to which only the higher-scoring EXPs will be invited the first year and which will become what EXP has been until 2015.

It probably will not be CK as CK will remain a group not earned but awarded to "Chosen" members due to prestige or indirect revenue generating power.

The closeness of redeemable miles earning for Gold and Platinum (7 and 8) after late 2016 makes me believe that Gold and Platinum elites will eventually be merged, so that only 3 levels (+ CK) remain.

Nothing says that EXPs will then still have priority for upgrades or free domestic upgrades.

Also, levels within OW per color will most likely have to be readjusted.

in the interim period, what AA has done has been to induce its clients to fly AA rater than its OW partners except on AA marketed Codeshares. They won't like that.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Nov 18, 2015 at 8:57 am
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
I fly discount F frequently. I like the changes. Except the loss of SWUs. Hopefully discount F seats remain available.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I believe that a spend requirement is coming in 2017, tied to EQMs. I also see a future reconfiguration of 12F on 738s and 16F on domestic 757s (assuming those a/c stay around long enough to support a reconfiguration.) The days of ample upgrades, DEQM promotions, and other perks are coming to an end. AA (and for that matter DL and UA) don't won't give a damn whether a bunch of low spend FTs post like mad men expressing their displeasure. F will be for those that pay for it or spend enough on Y tixs to warrant an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.