Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by rsydney
Well look like I will be enjoying my last year of AA Loyalty. This provides more bucks for ME Carriers. Atleast if you pay less and get nothing you may as well fly a ME Carrier and get better service overall. Thats probably why AA will be offering low fares next year but I don't think they can match the ME Carrier with service and price. We will see.
Yes. Because nothing sounds more splendid than taking a ME carrier when flying from the U.S. to Europe. Even more so to South America.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The most 'revenue capitalizing' part lies on $-based RDM. They already did it.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mooper
As someone with my biggest earning days likely behind me, Lifetime Platinum locked in, and a large banked balance of millions of AA miles, I'm actually pleased with these changes because the supply constrictions should at least stabilize, if not boost, the value when redeemed. In simpler terms, because customers will have a harder time earning miles and status, there won't be as much competition to redeem them, so my banked status and miles should go further.
Sadly, I don't think this actually plays out. We all keep telling ourselves that there will be less competition for the same number of award seats but there are never the same number of award seats. AA availability keeps going down further and further and further.

I use EF to monitor a number of routes where AA is more than happy to let NONREVs fill the J and F cabin on a daily basis or let them go out with numerous empty seats.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
As someone with my biggest earning days likely behind me, Lifetime Platinum locked in, and a large banked balance of millions of AA miles, I'm actually pleased with these changes because the supply constrictions should at least stabilize, if not boost, the value when redeemed. In simpler terms, because customers will have a harder time earning miles and status, there won't be as much competition to redeem them, so my banked status and miles should go further.
LH, NH, OZ F awards are just as hard as they were before UA deval. Suffice to say you will be paying more for awards with the exact same availability. The floodgates will open with more bank and cc bonuses, its just miles inflation.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
After lots of time for planning and certainly lots of speculation, why do you think AA chose not to align AAdvantage closer to DL/UA with a dollar/revenue based elite status program? It seems that AA could have made attaining elite status more exclusive by at least raising Executive Platinum requirements or creating a new, higher tier than EXP.

I am by no means complaining, as it is still relatively easy to attain EXP at least for another year...however, it seems it really missed the opportunity to capitalize on the positive revenue environment by not adopting a revenue-based AAdvantage program.
Because they want to maintain a small advantage over UA/DL, or do it gradually.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, we all have feelings about these upcoming changes; I get that.

But this does not negate the FlyerTalk Rules about using offensive language, deploying snark, discussing other posters / members negatively, etc.

A brief review may be necessary? OK:

12.0 Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content Link to this topic

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
/Moderator
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by nk15
I think the unintended and sad consequences are that some EXPs will just fly less now on AA, as it will be easier to make EXP and not enough rewarding to go over 100k miles. Plus fewer SWUs to support Y flying.
The new EQM criteria means I can cut back on 2x TATL trips but still make EXP. I would normally have used 4x SWUs on those trips.

I've effectively saved 2x r/t discount Y fares to Europe (plus the hotel, etc.). AA has saved on 4x SWUs. I think we are both winners. I still get EXP and the 4 remaining SWUs are normally enough for my non Mileage Run travel.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
The small favorable advantage AA had in Hawaii is gone. Sucks... Don't even know how they will compete for local flyers. Horrible changes!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If AA thinks this will induce many of us to buy more AA premium tickets, good luck with that. So much easier and quicker to qualify now. And then we can all play the field. With some highly discounted transcon F ticket purchases, I'll re-qualify for EXP by the end of February, my earliest ever. And for the lowest out-of-pocket ever. Then what?

I don't need RDMs and only use SWUs for domestic flights. With a ridiculous 50K needed for another 2 SWUs, I see no incentive to continue to fly AA on anything other that what I've always done... on the cheapest Y ticket on routes where I'm virtually assured of an upgrade. No need to spend more money later each year on mileage runs. Probably not their intent, but thanks AA!

So, this EXP will be flying a lot more UA and DL paid domestic First, both of which offer a better and, from DEN, more convenient domestic experience.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ellis01
That example doesn't seem THAT bad even for Plat. (IMHO, but clearly better for Gold or Exps)
Unless you actually use a reasonable economy airfare in the calculation.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
From those who have already been there with the DL and UA conversions to revenue-based mileage accrual: don't count on having less competition to redeem / more availability.

Also, it's a dangerous fallacy to link the number of miles you receive to their value. If one day your boss decided to start paying you 30% less, the dollars you receive in your paycheck don't suddenly increase in value. You might have to guard them more closely, but they don't buy any more than they used to. Indeed, awards will cost more than they ever have, even while many people will be earning fewer miles.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
If AA thinks this will induce many of us to buy more AA premium tickets, good luck with that. So much easier and quicker to qualify now. And then we can all play the field. With some highly discounted transcon F ticket purchases, I'll re-qualify for EXP by the end of February, my earliest ever. And for the lowest out-of-pocket ever. Then what?

I don't need RDMs and only use SWUs for domestic flights. With a ridiculous 50K needed for another 2 SWUs, I see no incentive to continue to fly AA on anything other that what I've always done... on the cheapest Y ticket on routes where I'm virtually assured of an upgrade. No need to spend more money later each year on mileage runs. Probably not their intent, but thanks AA!

So, this EXP will be flying a lot more UA and DL paid domestic First, both of which offer a better and, from DEN, more convenient domestic experience.
+1 Totally.

2016 is the year of the free agent.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Let's say the main current reason for the RDM change delay is to allow the software development time. However, I still wonder if there is a possibility for them to postpone the RDM changes even further if there were key metrics indicators from the first six months in 2016 to indicate some sort of negative customer response that would impact financials and booking behavior. It may be a ridiculous thought, but I suspect that will be more measurable than the social media complaints. The closest example I have is the meal change experiments or rather restorations.

Will AA go to .5 EQM in 2017 for AA marketed discount fares? I think it is possible, but it is clear they are casting a wider elite net in 2016 to see what happens. If this leads to more desirable and loyal customers, I don't think anything is a given. I have to respect the experimentation on those aspects of the program just like how AA launches routes or doesn't have to commit to daily frequencies.

I don't see as much experimentation happening with other carriers (good or bad). Now, why did AA go with the same RDM calculation? I don't know. If I look at it compared to WN, there are lots of double bonus RDM opportunities that exist. I have a feeling keeping expectations low, but allowing potential bonus RDM options to tweak booking behavior seems better to manage. There really haven't been meaningful non business and first domestic RDM bonus promotions in maybe two years.

I found it odd they made the upgrade programs more expensive in so many ways (less upgrade instruments distributed and higher sticker prices). Will they do anything meaningful to improve F service (still would like something better in the food area and longer West bound flights after 8pm)? If they do nothing, I think that would be a missed situation. AA is acknowledging that elite treatment is more important than redeemable miles. I don't think AA is leading in the soft product and service areas. Let's see some more attention there now that those premium services have a higher explicit price.

I think it is acceptable to not have loyalty for cheap fares (see EK or CX sale economy fares), but aspirational award travel is going to continue to be more difficult. It definitely has more tie to fares than before (including the partial reduction in miles needed for economy US to ME travel which has more countries than ever before).

Rasheed
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Any separation of US based and non-US based

Hi,

Just curious since I did not see it anyway in the FAQ and the posts here, are there any separation like DL and UA for US -based and non-US based members from earnings point of view?

I don't like the changes - but as far as how it will affect me - it is at least minimal at this point. Biggest is the SWU and the award redemption changes - they don't cost AA money and not everyone uses all always, so that was a big letdown. As for the redemption, such a pity - brings back bad memory like what Flying Blue did to the chart - that is one big heck of a devaluation.

Cheers!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:01 am

I think the changes are quite fair. Discount economy fliers won't like them, but these changes can be a win for people who fly on full (or higher) Y fares, as well as J and F fares.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 18, 2015 at 12:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.