Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 17, 15, 9:05 pm

Let's see, 11 pts/dollar on AA as a top-tier elite, or fly WN as a top-tier at 12-36 pts/dollar (24-72 w/ CP)? Easy choice.

Norwegian or Wowair can get me to another continent for cheap, who needs international redemptions?
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
1. For four eVIPs, you can only hold on to the upgrade to J for up to maximum 40k EQMs(assuming cheap Y fares purchased). For the rest of EXP re-qualification, 60k, you are on your own.

It's official for me to:

1. Book J right out to fly CX, or QR instead of gunning for HKG-DFW and hoping to upgrade.
2. Getting partner J will remain exactly the same qualification as before - 1.5 EQPs. For those who complain about the partner earning not matching the AA J earning, can you get a great hard+soft product on AA premium? We all know the answer is no, so it's a tradeoff. Flying partner J will still get us LT miles, so I am ok with that.
3. Only two RTs of DFW-HKG every year. Not even entertaining to get up to 200k for eight eVIPs, unless AA is disclosing a way to get to LT EXP.
4. burn AA miles for partner F flights.

Can't believe I am flying AA less. It's time for everybody to just start kayaking. I am too, just in a sense of kayaking for J right out of the box.

JohnNYC, do you know whether partner premium cabin will just get us class of service bonus along with base miles, and that's it? Will there be something like what Delta has been doing for KL/AF(100% bonus for top elite, 80% for PLT)...I hope there will still be elite bonus for the partner premium flights.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Nov 17, 15 at 9:12 pm
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
More excellent news for you high spenders, maximum RDMs are capped at 75k miles per trip, but this is for your own protection, so you don't do crazy stuff like paying more than $7k for a ticket...
Big advantage to being Platinum: I keep getting more RDMs for spend all the way up to $9375 for a ticket!

But seriously, I don't get this rule. If you do go above the RDM cap on a ticket, you can get around it by buying the round trip on two tickets. (I don't think there are any one way fares that are that pricey, and I don't think any fares that pricey have round trip requirements.)
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by ashill View Post

"Loyalty" in this context is nothing but marketing drivel describing a rewards program.
There is something called "good will" however. While everyone and their grandma knows that AA is a business to make a profit, it is a service-oriented company.

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
I agree with you - I've never laboured under a misconception that the airline owes me any loyalty. But the AAdvantage program has, in my case, delivered for AA as it was intended - I don't fly other airlines because that would imperil my continued qualification as a top-tier elite at AA, and I've heard how lousy it can be to fly as a nobody in economy seats on other airlines. When I need to fly somewhere, I don't waste time shopping other airlines in hopes of saving some nickels - I just go to aa.com and find a fare I can live with.

The benefits to me of my loyalty to AA are numerous and will no doubt be reduced in the future, but so far, a very high rate of upgrades and success at finding premium cabin award tickets has kept me loyal.
I'll be sticking with AA until I hit LTPL then I can sort of "pick and choose" which carrier suits me the most. For now, its still AA actually.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by lmaccaro View Post
Let's see, 11 pts/dollar on AA as a top-tier elite, or fly WN as a top-tier at 12-36 pts/dollar (24-72 w/ CP)? Easy choice.
Are WN points worth about as much as AA miles (ie 1-2c/mile for domestic coach redemptions, which is of course the only fair comparison)? That's an honest question; I have no idea.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Marriott
Been anxious since getting the email to arrive home and read all of the reaction here. My main concern was the award chat to Europe, so can't I can't be too upset myself. Even so, I feel for those who travel habits will now result in far fewer miles for more dear AAward tickets. The next mega merger that benefits anyone but people holding stock in the acquired company will be the first.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:13 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think the unintended and sad consequences are that some EXPs will just fly less now on AA, as it will be easier to make EXP and not enough rewarding to go over 100k miles. Plus fewer SWUs to support Y flying.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Bummer. I saved up miles and had 50k all ready for Biz Class to Europe next summer. Now it's 57,500. Off to spend more on my AA cc I guess

Maybe I should transfer some Starwood points... those are likely set to devalue anyway. Getting it from everywhere these days.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:17 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
Big advantage to being Platinum: I keep getting more RDMs for spend all the way up to $9375 for a ticket!

But seriously, I don't get this rule. If you do go above the RDM cap on a ticket, you can get around it by buying the round trip on two tickets. (I don't think there are any one way fares that are that pricey, and I don't think any fares that pricey have round trip requirements.)
We run a random test the other day, this is not true, one way premium fares were about the same or even more expensive than a roundtrip even at the $7-10k pricing range.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Here's the survey question I had posted 11 or so days ago on whether people will change their flying pattern (i.e. go lower status, not care for the status or switch to DAL/UA/JBLU, et.) because of recent changes:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RQBN72X

99 responses so far:
  • 50 would move to a lower status on AA/switch loyalty or don't care
  • 34 would stick with AA at current status
  • 15 are not sure

To be sure, there have been no responses in at least two days.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

Anyone want my 8 SWUs for 2016? 70% rdm reduction, 50% SWU reduction, 50% award increase will have me leaving.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Yes. Because having extra checked-baggage allowance, free access to the Admiral's Club, free access to MCE seating at booking, priority boarding, and using the business class check-in counter at the airport have no value.
IRC, PLT does NOT get Admirals Club access.

Also, Elite Bonus Miles seem to be intact (thank god):
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...p#mileagebonus
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Yes. Because having extra checked-baggage allowance, free access to the Admiral's Club, free access to MCE seating at booking, priority boarding, and using the business class check-in counter at the airport have no value.
Plats don't get free AC access unless flying intn'l. Everyone and his brother has Priority Access these days. Heck, you can buy it straight up for $20.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by dkim View Post

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...p#mileagebonus
Sorry, but the page you're referencing hasn't been updated yet because the changes don't go into effect until mid-2016.

Plats are dead as a dodo. I take no pleasure in that, since I am one.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by dkim View Post
If you're flying JFK-EZE, as a Plat you get free lounge access at both airports

Elite bonuses were never going away. However, starting sometime later in 2016, it will no longer be a 100% bonus for Plats. It will be a 60% bonus off of a base of 5 FF miles earned per dollar spent. And thus, 8 FF miles per dollar spent. That's it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: