Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 17, 15, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM View Post
I will bet you and everyone else on here $50.00 that AA will continue to devalue Advantage in the coming years...A little at a time. Next year will for sure bring more devaluation.
(not taking the bet) I think you can replace AA with DL, UA, etc in your post and still be correct and $50.00 richer.
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:24 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am glad to see that they kind of evolved EQP into EQM rather than going with the ridiculous - and problematic - minimum spending requirements that Delta and United adopted (I have mentioned here in the past that I felt EQP qualification was more senscial than the revenue minimums). By using the EQP/EQM hybrid model there is less confusion among members, easier to track, does not alienate those who flies on partners, and saves a lot of money/headaches on the IT front.

The only disappointment I have here is the upgrade instrument change for EXPs, but not a huge deal for me. I still maintain my stance that AA should award EXPs 500-mile coupons to use for companions and that will actually bring AA on par or better than UA/DL who offers confirmable regional upgrade instruments in conjunction with systemwide upgrades.

Every thing else is what I expected and I could care less about most of the changes. As long as AA remains dominant in PIT then I'll stick with them, but they need to be careful with cutting flights and not replacing them through other hubs or whatnot. I believe we are set to lose this upcoming spring/summer 1x DCA, 1x BOS, 2x PHL, 2x CLT, 1x DFW, 1x LGA, 2 weekly LAX, tran states flights, etc. This is where I will have problems with AA, not the AAdvantage changes.

Last edited by golfingboy; Nov 17, 15 at 6:32 pm
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
I am glad to see that they kind of evolved EQP into EQM rather than going with the ridiculous - and problematic - minimum spending requirements that Delta and United adopted. By using the EQP/EQM hybrid model there is less confusion among members, easier to track, does not alienate those tho flies on partners, and saves a lot of money/headaches on the IT front.

The only disappointment I have here is the upgrade instrument change for EXPs, but not a huge deal for me. I still maintain my stance that AA should award EXPs 500-mile coupons to use for companions and that will actually bring AA on par or better than UA/DL who offers confirmable regional upgrade instruments in conjunction with systemwide upgrades.
That's next years kick in the gut!
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Agree with the above

And on the other hand...what is the lifetime of a mileage runner?

Regardless of AAdvantage changes, I was already burned after 5 years and stopped the nonsense.

For how long can one be a mileage runner?
It depends on how you define "mileage running." The pure turnaround MR- I can see that getting old pretty fast.

We base the amount of flying we do each year on getting EXP. We plan trips (2 days here, 3 days there, 4 days in Europe) to get enough miles. But we stay there and enjoy the places, so there is no burnout.

10 years and counting.

Now I'll have to plot how best to fit into the New World Order.

Cheers.
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
They could have at least re-instated stop-overs and removed the hyper-restrictive routing rules in order to take some of the sting off these changes
+1 > Absolutely!

Business awards to EU at 115K r/t match UA exactly, but sans stopover I guess.
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
The BIG 3 US airlines don't care about those in the back, no matter who they are. They do care about those in the front and want to make certain they paid for it. The loyalty of yesterday is gone. The points are devalued. The stock prices went up.

Note that many of these changes came from people on forums like this. You all helped the airlines learn about the things that favored you, not them. Keep that in mind the next time you post something.
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JoeTravel View Post
The BIG 3 US airlines don't care about those in the back, no matter who they are. They do care about those in the front and want to make certain they paid for it. The loyalty of yesterday is gone. The points are devalued. The stock prices went up.

Note that many of these changes came from people on forums like this. You all helped the airlines learn about the things that favored you, not them. Keep that in mind the next time you post something.
The last is purely unsubstantiated opinion, IMO, not fact-based.
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:00 pm
Suspended

I can promise and assure you I sure won't. I'll post how it is, when it is.
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Oh good, devaluations to the AAward chart that were allegedly not supposed to happen. DisAAdvantage becomes a reality...
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The last is purely unsubstantiated opinion, IMO, not fact-based.
I agree with JDiver. IMO, AA was smart to be the last of the big 3 to devalue and change their FF program. After DL and UA changed their programs, AA was able to welcome those programs' flyers with open arms as they searched for a program that was nearest to what was previously their own program.

Now that the migration has slowed, AA decided it was time to join DL and UA. IMO, AA believes there will be little out-migration due to the (now) similarity of the programs.
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DL2SXM View Post
I will bet you and everyone else on here $50.00 that AA will continue to devalue Advantage in the coming years...A little at a time. Next year will for sure bring more devaluation.
I'll take that bet, as long as I get to define what "devaluation" is.
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Ignore

Last edited by callmedtop; Nov 17, 15 at 7:27 pm
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Well, one less trip to Europe to use those extra SWU I guess.

Of course maybe I'll be able to find 2 C's in advance again.

I do wonder if they will have to beef up customer service to handle inquires on how many RDM's were earned and if people were credited correctly. Now, in theory, no one earns the same miles for the same flight.
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC25K, AS MVP, WS Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, DL,BA,KE
Wow! AA finally decided to go revenue base like DL and UA, it's all about the $$!!
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
Well, one less trip to Europe to use those extra SWU I guess.

Of course maybe I'll be able to find 2 C's in advance again.

I do wonder if they will have to beef up customer service to handle inquires on how many RDM's were earned and if people were credited correctly. Now, in theory, no one earns the same miles for the same flight.
If by "now" you mean in the "second half of 2016" you are correct regarding RDM.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: