Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 17, 15, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Is AA going to mAAtch UA and DL with complimentary upgrades for all elite members? If not, then this is worse than UA or DL. UA and DL upgrade all elites based on status and fare paid.

For earnings, just buy an -UP fare. You will earn more than if you actually tried to use a 500-mile upgrade as you will have "spent" more!

High spenders, enjoy the beef with lobster macaroni and cheese or the eggplant parmesan. American will be glad you are here, just like their safety video signs off with. Low spenders, enjoy the BOB in the back. American won't be glad that you are here. You won't be spending enough..........
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
These are not loyalty programs. They are reward programs. You are not obligated to fly exclusively with any given airline. But are being rewarded for doing so. And the airlines are determining how much to reward you for that.
Someone should notify American Airlines of that:

Traveling the world?
Our loyalty program
can get you there.
http://www.aa.com/homePage.do

In the best loyalty program
The possibilities are endless
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/in...false&from=Nav

From today's press release:

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 17, 2015 -- American Airlines is taking the first step in the evolution of its award-winning AAdvantage® loyalty program.

<snip>

The AAdvantage program was the first loyalty program in the industry, created in 1981. It has seen several changes over the decades and will continue to evolve to offer the best program for its members based on the access and rewards they desire most.
http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...antage-program

For something you say isn't a "loyalty program," AA tends to describe it as one. For 34 years AA has called AAdvantage a loyalty program, even today, as portions of it are gutted.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kate2015 View Post
I must be missing something. Under the current system, I earn around 1200 miles for my commuting flights, round trip, usually in deep discount coach. Under the new system, I'd earn 8 X $350-ish miles = 2800 miles, more if I make EXP this year.

My international flights end up being 8 X $7000 (paid J) = 56,000 miles, vs around 22,000 that I earn now.

Am I miscalculating that, because my commuting flights especially are in deep discount coach, which I thought were the very fares that AA didn't want to reward. I'm surprised I'd earn more miles?
Most people flying for work (especially OPM) have benefited under the UA/DL schemes. So this is not a surprise.
The breakeven point calculated on the UA board was 18cpm. If your fares are below 18cpm, you will lose, if above, you will win in the new system (for EXP)

Further speculation led to the fact that now that there is a definite a value on a mile - the IRS may get interested in miles earned as part of work.

Next step should be reward the actual payer, not the flyer.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subumbrum View Post
This post doesn't really make any sense. The announced changes don't affect existing miles, but rather future earned miles. So, if you truly "burned" them and used them just to use them, you've wasted your miles. Basically, they haven't announced a devaluation of miles, but instead just lowered the amount of miles people will earn in the future.
Apart from the new award tables coming into effect in March I assume you mean

There is a change to earnings coming ( which will be better for some and worse for others (most?) ) PLUS an increase in price of numerous redemption options
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Taking this all in, I think the part that I am a little irked over is the 8 --4 SWUs... But if given the choice, there would be several other things I would have given up to ensure that I still got domestic upgrades, priority standby, etc. On the other hand, I better start planning some award travel to burn some of those miles I have piled up!
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Most people flying for work (especially OPM) have benefited under the UA/DL schemes. So this is not a surprise.
The breakeven point calculated on the UA board was 18cpm. If your fares are below 18cpm, you will lose, if above, you will win in the new system (for EXP)

Further speculation led to the fact that now that there is a definite a value on a mile - the IRS may get interested in miles earned as part of work.

Good luck finding people to travel then. I certainly can't afford to pay additional taxes just because my company allows J.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Good luck finding people to travel then. I certainly can't afford to pay additional taxes just because my company allows J.
You dont have to pay the taxes - just dont take the additional compensation for your work (ie. miles)
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:56 pm

If a tax liability comes about, then there would be nothing to stop you from not claiming FF miles - or claim to a different scheme where there is still no direct relationship to value
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA explat 5.3 MM, Hilton Diamond for life
for all of you that are dissappointed and pissed off did you seriously think that this change (and furture changes) were actually going to enhance the program? If you did then what ever you are smoking...gimme some!!

Go Stars!!!
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
You dont have to pay the taxes - just dont take the additional compensation for your work (ie. miles)
Right, but that's a function of AA and automatic. I suppose you could decline to attach your Aadvantage number, but if you're flaky like me, it's the only way you can find your reservations.

Anyway. Speculation.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Wouldn't care about the SWU reduction if they were actually a guaranteed instant upgrade instead of a maybe or maybe not type of thing.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:01 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Most OPM flyers on DL and UA are worse off with this kind of revenue-based approach than with the prior distance-based approach, when it comes to miles earned from flying to be used for award tickets. Lots of OPM tickets are lowest available fare in economy class at the time of purchase.

With revenue-based mileage earning at AA/DL/UA, it seems like the business-oriented loyalty programs are a duplication and leaving cream to be removed from the top of the bucket.

We are still well removed from the US IRS taxing FFP miles earned from business travel.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:06 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Add to that, I have over 2 million miles in the bank.
I just don't get why people build up massive FF balances and treat them like savings, then get upset when they devalue over time.

Earn it. Burn it. Earn it. Burn it. There's no other logic for FF miles that I can understand.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard View Post
Possibly for personal travel? Employer-paid J/F tickets gets the status, and then able to use SWUs to fly the family on vacation for cheap? And the little extras like first lounges when flying J. And better service during IRROPs and the like, although that might be a bit of a canard.
People who I know with that kind of buying/ flying pattern, do so mostly for work travel. Their families almost never pay to fly premium classes. Earning miles is still lucrative even if one is already at the highest class of travel.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
This award-winning change actually encourages you to pay for first or business class and not wait to use a 500 mile upgrade. Those don't count toward your revenue/earning goals. UA and DL don't charge elites for upgrades so I don't see much value in waiting to upgrade, even for EXP on AA anymore. Buy-up fares could be a better deal, especially if it is YOM vs. OPM.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: