Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 17, 15, 4:19 pm

Thankfully, I only have 53 AAdvantage miles left in my account. I've burned 302,500 miles on EY F, QF F, JL F and CX F redemptions from this December until February. It was good while it lasted!

Makes me feel all the better about being a disloyal customer just before I was about to jump on the status chasing bandwagon.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Well, that doesn't sound very loyal. That's sounds like you're just in it for yourself. Kind of like a partner at a wedding ceremony telling his bride that he promises to be loyal and faithful as long as she remains pretty, doesn't gain wait, and earns a good paycheck.
Really? I have flown AA almost exclusively for 26 years, even with no status for many of those years, and that doesn't sound loyal to you?

Whatever you're smoking, care to share? It is clearly very potent.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
Honestly, I think you have loyalty and slAAvery confused.
Nope. I may spend a lot of time in the air, but I'm still grounded in reality. I am not a slave to AA. Nor do I only fly with them. However, even with this change, I still find great value in continuing to do so.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
* But what happens when things go south and IRROPs happen?
* But do you get lounge access on international trips?
* But was there space for your carry on when you boarded in group 4 or 5?
* But did you have to fly in a middle seat?
* But did you have to stand in line at check in or security (no PreCheck, and OLCI not always available/working, at international stations)?
* etc.

Over the 60 to 80 segments I fly in a year, these things matter. The ancillary costs add up. My company's travel policy doesn't allow us to buy domestic F in any circumstance, and international J in only rare circumstances. Nor does it reimburse lounge passes.

And I can focus on a credit card that has much better rebate potential than any airline card.

This is really rehashing a lot of ground that was covered in the other thread. So I'm not sure there's any point in continuing.
  • IRROPs you have a point.
  • Lounge Access, I have the Amex Plat as well as paying for an Admirals Club membership.
  • Yes I fly in middle seats often.
  • I paid for Global Entry so I get TSA Precheck through the $100 I spent, not through any airline program.
  • OLCI works 95% of the time, 99% domestically.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph View Post
Well, I'd LOL if it was that stingy too. But, I'd propose a more attractive offer than that.
You're obviously not someone working in airline revenue management.

WN, VX and AS all make money right now without an overseas network. Running the USA domestic network as a loss leader for ultra-long haul is precisely backwards; most of the time it's the ultra-long hauls that are the loss leader.

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
AA's moving more and more toward the DL model when it comes to the loyalty program for retail customers. And the results there aren't so pretty unless your regular paid flying is mostly represented by something like passengers flying in flexible business class from the East Coast to Europe. But even there the goal seems to be to fluff up the elite ranks so that churning of the FFP customers resulting from the gutting of program participation benefits isn't all that problematic for the airline.
DL's results would likely be better if they weren't pushing very hard at SEA.

Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
You again. Ok I'll bite.

I have purchased a ticker on a carrier I have no status on. So let's review.
  • Did not earn miles to my preferred loyalty program - AA is nuking mileage earning anyways, so it's a wash now
  • I flew coach - With AA I'm batting around 40% for domestic upgrades this year, and 0% for international upgrades. Sure with AA I get MCE, but booking at the last minute I get MCE seats about 50% of the time anyways since 737s only have 3 rows of MCE.
  • No checked bag allowance - I only bring a carry on anyways for domestic trips, as I'm sure many business travelers do

Many of these issues could be solved with simply getting the cobranded credit card.
And to be honest, AA probably would rather you do that. They get good money selling those miles to Citibank.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Juanefny View Post
Ok. Help explain this to me. Why would someone that always buys first class tickets care about obtaining executive platinum.
Well, for 2016

11x multiplier for RDMs
SWUs - For friends/family if you don't use them
IRROPS could cause you to NOT be in first, so you want that free food/drink option (if it still exists)
EXP phone line
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Really? I have flown AA almost exclusively for 26 years, even with no status for many of those years, and that doesn't sound loyal to you?
Is that like a husband telling his wife that he has been "almost exclusive" to her while they've been married becaue that's just how loyal he is?

These are not loyalty programs. They are reward programs. You are not obligated to fly exclusively with any given airline. But are being rewarded for doing so. And the airlines are determining how much to reward you for that.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Is that like a husband telling his wife that he has been "almost exclusive" to her while they've been married because that's just how loyal he is?

These are not loyalty programs. They are reward programs. You are not obligated to fly exclusively with any given airline. But are being rewarded for doing so. And the airlines are determining how much to reward you for that.
Are you really comparing a marriage, which is quite literally a contract professing eternal love and faithfulness and exclusive loyalty to one another, to a business relationship with an airline?
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by sdultra View Post
My post on AA's Facebook page.....can you say FUMING MAD!!

As a 4+ million miler, who has been socking away miles to use once I stop flying for business, and a 16+ years Executive Platinum member, I am appalled at the upcoming mileage redemption changes just announced. As an example, today a 1st Class round trip award from US to Thailand is 135K miles. With your new award chart, it is now 220K miles. That is a mileage devaluation of over 40%, or a 60% increase in miles required for an equivalent award. Well, come the end of this year I will no longer be purchasing flights on AA, and start redeeming my now pillaged and ravaged 1.5 Million miles that I banked, which are now worth about half of what they were. You have lost a loyal and once dedicated customer.
We're in the same boat. Just yesterday, I was happy to make EXP and now, I know next year would not be worth it. Add to that, I have over 2 million miles in the bank. What a bunch of garbage!
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you really comparing a marriage, which is quite literally a contract professing eternal love and faithfulness and exclusive loyalty to one another, to a business relationship with an airline?
I think that you have just highlighted that it is not loyalty , but a business relationship
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I think that you have just highlighted that it is not loyalty , but a business relationship
Yes. Before it was a loyal business relationship. Now it is simply a business relationship.

Still, comparing it to a husband cheating on his wife is ridiculous...
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes. Before it was a loyal business relationship. Now it is simply a business relationship.

I agree that comparing to marriage is extreme

Were you really loyal or were you travelling with the airline based on what extras it would give you?
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Not surprising at all. However just like when Delta and United did this, unless you live near an AA hub there is no reason to remain loyal to them anymore. Just fly with whomever fits your budget/schedule/route network/product needs.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

<redacted>

Apparently he/she is ... I'm just hoping that the person is getting handsomely rewarded by AA for all their efforts here

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 15 at 6:18 pm Reason: Redacted unfriendly name calling and meta
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA-PLT
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Thankfully, I only have 53 AAdvantage miles left in my account. I've burned 302,500 miles on EY F, QF F, JL F and CX F redemptions from this December until February. It was good while it lasted!

Makes me feel all the better about being a disloyal customer just before I was about to jump on the status chasing bandwagon.
This post doesn't really make any sense. The announced changes don't affect existing miles, but rather future earned miles. So, if you truly "burned" them and used them just to use them, you've wasted your miles. Basically, they haven't announced a devaluation of miles, but instead just lowered the amount of miles people will earn in the future.

Also, that doesn't really make you disloyal. Those miles are yours to use. That's the whole point.

I don't like this change because it will certainly lower the amount of RDMs I get, but lets not lose our heads. We still earn miles and we still keep the ones we already have.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: