Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 17, 15, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
As a discount Y flyer for both personal and business, I am getting hit by at least 50% on my RDM earning, and another 40% on the back end when I redeem.

That's a 70% devaluation for a LT Gold who actually flies the airline regularly and likes the occasional F trip as a reward. Even if I want to take my wife for a long weekend in Hong Kong in J class, I'm getting dinged for an extra 60,000 miles RT. If I was EXP, then my biggest benefit just got devalued 50% (only 4 SWUs).

It seems to me that the <redacted> either can't do math or they just plan on churning Citi cards even faster.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 19, 15 at 1:22 am Reason: Redacted unfriendly name calling
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
You again. Ok I'll bite.

I have purchased a ticker on a carrier I have no status on. So let's review.
  • Did not earn miles to my preferred loyalty program - AA is nuking mileage earning anyways, so it's a wash now
  • I flew coach - With AA I'm batting around 40% for domestic upgrades this year, and 0% for international upgrades. Sure with AA I get MCE, but booking at the last minute I get MCE seats about 50% of the time anyways since 737s only have 3 rows of MCE.
  • No checked bag allowance - I only bring a carry on anyways for domestic trips, as I'm sure many business travelers do

Many of these issues could be solved with simply getting the cobranded credit card.
The CC allows you to standby for free?
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by pfountain View Post
Let's face it, AA doesn't really care about the frequent flyers that kept flying with them through thick and thin. It's all a race to the bottom of the barrel
Exactly.

I'm curious how many react like me and just stop flying as much or being loyal when I do fly. I don't see 2nd half 2016 being a good year for the airlines.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
The CC allows you to standby for free?
That's true, but most people don't fly standby on a regular basis (who would?). It's like bag fees, MCE fees, etc...--something you pay for as you need it.
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfountain View Post
Let's face it, AA doesn't really care about the frequent flyers that kept flying with them through thick and thin. It's all a race to the bottom of the barrel
Tell us. When AA was bleeding billions of dollars in cash, which benefits did you offer to forego in order to help save the company money?
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:00 pm

Looks like Alaska is literally the last frontier when it comes to frequent flyer programs!

Glad I'm near AS hubs.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'm a reAAlist. The industry has changed several times over the past few decades. This is just another one of many. The era of being able to get 1 free roundtrip award ticket by flying two really cheap Y tickets is over. And it ain't coming back.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 15 at 7:37 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For anyone who thinks this, I suggest purchasing a domestic Y ticket on a carrier which you have no status on. Then get back to us with a trip report.
I've done it, and it's not the end of the world. And with the a la carte selling of priority benefits, discounted sales of premium cabin space to even the elite status-less, and non-elite-status means to access the lounges, the great difference was the value of miles earned from flying for use for "free" flights. But now that difference is being diminished too.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:08 pm

Tell us. When AA was bleeding billions of dollars in cash, which benefits did you offer to forego in order to help save the company money?
The FAs and pilots did just that--they took massive pay/benefit cuts to save the company. And they did save the company, with their sacrifice. And management rewarded them by bending them over a table, like we are.

Loyalty runs one way when it comes to ... modern American corporations.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 15 at 11:23 am Reason: Offensive stereotypes removed
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:09 pm

I'm not. I'm a reAAlist. The industry has changed several times over the past few decades. This is just another one of many. The era of being able to get 1 free roundtrip award ticket by flying two really cheap Y tickets is over. And it ain't coming back.
...And the era of my loyalty to AA is gone as well, after 26 years.

Also I think you overestimate the amount of people who spend 3 straight days on a plane just to earn miles.

I kept flying AA, even with no status at times. Also, it's not my responsibility to ensure their profitability.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Not that it matters, but here is the letter I wrote to AA Customer Relations. As I've said before, these changes would make me reevaluate my flying habits, and they have. Thank you for the memories AA, I wish your loyalty to me had been as strong as my loyalty to you.

Letter:

Hello,

I am emailing you concerning the changes announced today to the AAdvantage program. As a multi-year executive platinum member, I have frequently gone out of my way to fly American Airlines, including paying hundreds to thousands of dollars more for a fare to stay on AA flights. For 2015, I believe that AAdvantage was the best frequent flyer program, bar none. Sadly, in 2016 AAdvantage has decided to make changes which will make it among the worst, if not the worst program in the industry. From gutting award miles earning and upgrades to devaluing the award chart, AA has made many changes which negatively impact their customers.

As a result of these changes, I can no longer be loyal to AA as I have been since 1989. I will no longer go out of my way to purchase more expensive tickets simply because they are on AA, and I will no longer travel as much as I do now, purposefully taking extra trips so I can fly AA. Again, I am writing you to let you know that this is a direct result of the changes announced today and that I am disappointed in the manner in which American Airlines has chosen to treat its loyal customers, as this loyalty was clearly very one sided.

I've had many great times on AA, and will always have the memories. For that I thank you.

Regards,

Phasers

Letter I wrote to AA:

<entirety redacted>

Regards,
Everyone.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 15 at 6:29 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
I have hit PLAT the last 8 years on mostly personal travel, I have lifetime Gold.

The RDM changes flat out suck, that was one reason I made an effort to hit PLAT, the double RDM miles. So when flying somewhere with family, I could pay for my flight and use miles for everyone else.

That is pretty much shot now. I live near DFW airport and getting to Love Field is a royal pain for me, so realistically, I am stuck with AA .. I wish Virgin still flew out of DFW. I'll look into AS though, that seems the only other realistic option, but I need to check to see if there is a minimum # of flights that need to be on AS metal, as I would rarely do that.

If I am stuck with AA, I really question the value of trying for PLAT every year versus just being Gold. Beyond upgrades and a slight discount on the AC (which actually has improved over the past several years IMO), I really do not see much upside anymore for me.
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Letter I wrote to AA:

<redacted>

Regards,
Everyone.
Simple, concise, eloquently stated lol .

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 15 at 6:30 pm Reason: Redacted deleted post content
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I kept flying AA, even with no status at times. Also, it's not my responsibility to ensure their profitability.
Well, that doesn't sound very loyal. That's sounds like you're just in it for yourself. Kind of like a partner at a wedding ceremony telling his bride that he promises to be loyal and faithful as long as she remains pretty, doesn't gain weight, and earns a good paycheck.

Last edited by Fanjet; Nov 17, 15 at 9:29 pm
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
You again. Ok I'll bite.

I have purchased a ticker on a carrier I have no status on. So let's review.
  • Did not earn miles to my preferred loyalty program - AA is nuking mileage earning anyways, so it's a wash now
  • I flew coach - With AA I'm batting around 40% for domestic upgrades this year, and 0% for international upgrades. Sure with AA I get MCE, but booking at the last minute I get MCE seats about 50% of the time anyways since 737s only have 3 rows of MCE.
  • No checked bag allowance - I only bring a carry on anyways for domestic trips, as I'm sure many business travelers do

Many of these issues could be solved with simply getting the cobranded credit card.
* But what happens when things go south and IRROPs happen?
* But do you get lounge access on international trips?
* But was there space for your carry on when you boarded in group 4 or 5?
* But did you have to fly in a middle seat?
* But did you have to stand in line at check in or security (no PreCheck, and OLCI not always available/working, at international stations)?
* etc.

Over the 60 to 80 segments I fly in a year, these things matter. The ancillary costs add up. My company's travel policy doesn't allow us to buy domestic F in any circumstance, and international J in only rare circumstances. Nor does it reimburse lounge passes.

And I can focus on a credit card that has much better rebate potential than any airline card.

This is really rehashing a lot of ground that was covered in the other thread. So I'm not sure there's any point in continuing.

Last edited by bse118; Nov 17, 15 at 5:20 pm Reason: clarity

Search this Thread
Search Engine: