Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 17, 15, 3:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
So you can earn 10% RDM on SQ or EK on LAX-JFK on a deep discount fare? LOL.
Well, I'd LOL if it was that stingy too. But, I'd propose a more attractive offer than that. Raise that to 50% minimum, higher for members with status in those carriers specifically. The point would be to use domestic offerings as a feeder mechanism to lock the customers in for long haul stuff.

For example: If BA offered me 50%+ RDMs to fly their metal around the USA (in addition to any RDMs I might normally earn flying them anywhere else), I'd likely go out of my way to fly BA metal on any overseas flight. They'd only be giving me a fractional RDM around the USA, but they'd stand a good chance of turning me into a dedicated longhaul customer.

That's the competition I was referring to.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by sdultra View Post
My post on AA's Facebook page.....can you say FUMING MAD!!

As a 4+ million miler, who has been socking away miles to use once I stop flying for business, and a 16+ years Executive Platinum member, I am appalled at the upcoming mileage redemption changes just announced. As an example, today a 1st Class round trip award from US to Thailand is 135K miles. With your new award chart, it is now 220K miles. That is a mileage devaluation of over 40%, or a 60% increase in miles required for an equivalent award. Well, come the end of this year I will no longer be purchasing flights on AA, and start redeeming my now pillaged and ravaged 1.5 Million miles that I banked, which are now worth about half of what they were. You have lost a loyal and once dedicated customer.
Yep.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
Why would they put a minimum spend, the status has been devalued to the point where no sane person wants it anymore.
For anyone who thinks this, I suggest purchasing a domestic Y ticket on a carrier which you have no status on. Then get back to us with a trip report.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I'm planning on switching to AA for next year. Will do lots of Mileage Running while it still means something, and hope to get EXP for a year. If they don't axe all the EXP benefits, maybe I'll stick around for another year. The way I see it, 11RDM always greater than 7/8 RDMs. I fly a lot, but super cheap (I've met the UA plat miles but not even gold dollars this year).

I just want to pile up some miles for a honeymoon trip on CX F. I'll always have the option to move back to united and status match to 1K if it gets bad.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
For anyone who thinks this, I suggest purchasing a domestic Y ticket on a carrier which you have no status on. Then get back to us with a trip report.
Amen-- It can be *highly* dispiriting experience!
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:38 pm

Such a pax would have to wait to board with his/her group, instead of getting priority boarding. They would have to pay for checked baggage. However, both of these could be gotten with a credit card.

The pax won't get to sit in E+ without spending a few tens of dollars. Also, if things go south, they'll have to fight it out like everyone else.

You act like this is the same as being sent to state prison for 5-15.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
That there is currently no 1st class option, does not mean that there never can be. Seems more sensible to have a price defined rather than not have any option to redeem should it become available
When was the last time that QF sold F to Hawaii? What AA is doing is very misleading, as there is no way that QF is going to deploy a 4-class A380 to a leisure market like Hawaii and you need an A380 for F on QF (the last two 744s with F will be retired soon and are often flown to markets where F isn't sold).
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
To me, the EQM earnings on partner airlines, especially Alaska, is one of the biggest losses, and will make it harder for many people to re-earn status levels.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
You again. Ok I'll bite.

I have purchased a ticker on a carrier I have no status on. So let's review.
  • Did not earn miles to my preferred loyalty program - AA is nuking mileage earning anyways, so it's a wash now
  • I flew coach - With AA I'm batting around 40% for domestic upgrades this year, and 0% for international upgrades. Sure with AA I get MCE, but booking at the last minute I get MCE seats about 50% of the time anyways since 737s only have 3 rows of MCE.
  • No checked bag allowance - I only bring a carry on anyways for domestic trips, as I'm sure many business travelers do

Many of these issues could be solved with simply getting the cobranded credit card.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
I'm planning on switching to AA for next year. Will do lots of Mileage Running while it still means something, and hope to get EXP for a year. If they don't axe all the EXP benefits, maybe I'll stick around for another year. The way I see it, 11RDM always greater than 7/8 RDMs. I fly a lot, but super cheap (I've met the UA plat miles but not even gold dollars this year).

I just want to pile up some miles for a honeymoon trip on CX F. I'll always have the option to move back to united and status match to 1K if it gets bad.
UA won't match to 1K. I did it to get started again on UA (I had flown them and Continental) and get my million miles. As long-time EXP they matched me right away - to PLT. Wasn't too bad. 30% hit rate on domestic upgrades, but no overseas bumps up. RDMs were fine until UA followed the example set by DL.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AA's moving more and more toward the DL model when it comes to the loyalty program for retail customers. And the results there aren't so pretty unless your regular paid flying is mostly represented by something like passengers flying in flexible business class from the East Coast to Europe. But even there the goal seems to be to fluff up the elite ranks so that churning of the FFP customers resulting from the gutting of program participation benefits isn't all that problematic for the airline.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:47 pm

I think that I will have to start opening and closing (after 13 months) some credit card accounts....the ones with "30,000 RDM bonus...etc."

A few of those a year might make up for the loss of RDMs with the new system.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by PolarRoute View Post
UA won't match to 1K. I did it to get started again on UA (I had flown them and Continental) and get my million miles. As long-time EXP they matched me right away - to PLT. Wasn't too bad. 30% hit rate on domestic upgrades, but no overseas bumps up. RDMs were fine until UA followed the example set by DL.
Perhaps OP has a corporate status match available? I know I can match my EXP status to 1K through my corporate travel dept.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PolarRoute View Post
Yep.
I am in practically the same situation. Unfortunately my company does not allow me to purchase biz class tickets, only lowest fare. So now I am screwed all the way around as what I have been managing to save up is worth a whole lot less, and the long trips I have to endure at the low rates will not amount to many miles even at EP level.

Let's face it, AA doesn't really care about the frequent flyers that kept flying with them through thick and thin. It's all a race to the bottom of the barrel
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by Juanefny View Post
Ok. Help explain this to me. Why would someone that always buys first class tickets care about obtaining executive platinum.
If you always want to fly First, but want to spend as little as necessary to do so, then I can imagine being willing to pay enough for first class tickets to get to EXP as early in the year as possible, then for the rest of the year purchase coach tickets and be ahead of all the PLT's for upgrades. You're a lot more likely to get the upgrade as EXP than PLT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: