Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 5, 16, 9:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AAdvantage Program Changes for 2016 - Just the Facts
as announced 17 Nov 2015 in FAQ on aa.com

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR QUESTIONS: we are seeing the same questions come up time and again, and those are often addressed here. NOTE: this thread is being closely monitored and moderated as needed to ensure it stays within the narrow remit of its topic.


Please see and post to AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - Discussion and Reaction all reactions, speculation about next steps, opinions, discussion, praise, complaints etc.

Link to AAdvantage program updates and FAQ links (17 Nov 2015)

New related threads:

FAQ: Award changes after 22 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not (Award changes 22 March 2016 or after may incur award miles redeposit (fees) and significant increases of miles required to issue new ones - but some changes may be made without doing so.)

See Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partners 2016 for more about earning EQM.

See Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016 for more regarding AAdvantage Award ("Redeemable") Miles.
Link to Gary Leff's article with charts, etc.

Also: brp has revised his spreadsheet for 2016 conditions - now named Miles Tracker v. 8.0. It can be downloaded from Gargoyle's page linked to in the OP, or here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tracker-v8.xls (NOTE: due to technical problems, the proper spreadsheet was not uploaded.)

AA reducing some checked baggage allowance tickets pchs on / after 29 Mar 2016

Elite Qualification and Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) - Change 1 Jan 2016
In 2016, there will be two methods to qualify for elite status:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

  • Elite Qualifying Points (EQP) no longer exist (EQM replaced them).

  • Thresholds for elite status qualification remain the same as 2015.
EQM will continue to be calculated based on distance flown (base miles). All EQM on AA marketed flights ("AA codeshares" / "AA coded flights") will earn at least 1 EQM per mile flown, with bonus multipliers for higher fares (regardless of operating carrier, AA itself or another carrier):


AA Marketed Flights Link
  • 3 EQMs/mile – Full-fare First or Business / F, J
  • 2 EQMs/mile - Discount First or Business / A, P, D, R, I
  • 1.5 EQMs/mile – Full-fare Main Cabin / Y, B and W when AA marketed on airline partners
  • 1 EQM/mile - Discount Main Cabin / all other Main Cabin fares
  • This applies to all AA marketed flight numbers, regardless of operating carrier.
  • Elites continue to earn 500 EQM minimum per segment

    Originally Posted by brp View Post
    Further confirmation of above from inside AA. He (JonNYC) got a message from AAdvantage

    Originally Posted by JonNYC Vie
    That's what I'm told as well-- fix on the way, system not operating as intended at present.
    Further confirmation of above from inside AA. He got a message from AAdvantage
    Originally Posted by AAdvantage
    Thanks for your questions on EQM earning. There is a glitch in how the minimum mileage guarantee for EQMs is being calculated. The calculation should credit the 500 mile minimum before applying the EQM multiplier. Beginning in the next few weeks, we will be running a retroactive process to “true up” any accounts where the member did not earn the proper number of EQMs. This process will continue to run until the calculation can be reprogrammed in the AAdvantage system.
    So, they will do an adjustment for those that were shorted so far and the system will soon be fixed for real.
    Cheers.

    So, they will do an adjustment for those that were shorted so far and the system will soon be fixed for real.

    Cheers.
AA Elite-Qualifying Partner Airlines
  • 1.5 EQMs/mile - First, Business, and Premium Economy
  • 1.0 EQMs/mile - Full-fare economy (typically Y and B, but varies by partner)
  • 0.5 EQMs/mile - All other mileage-earning economy fares
  • This applies to partner-marketed flights which are eligible to earn AAdvantage miles (typically meaning operated by oneworld carriers and affiliates, though this varies by partner), even if operated by AA.
Link to aa.com Partner Airline Miles Earning Charts as of 1 Jan 2016.

The is no minimum dollar spending requirement to obtain status.

AAdvantage Miles Award Charts - Change 22 Mar 2016
Link to American Airlines Award Charts as of 22 Mar 2016 (Note: some region descriptions were updated ~10 Feb 2016.)

See this post by Smiley90 for a compilation of new mileage redemption charts and changes.

Link to oneworld and other airline Award Charts as of 22 Mar 2016

Link to tool for old and new award chart comparison by bgriz18.

The number of miles required for many awards changed effective March 22, 2016. Award flights ticketed on or after March 22, 2016 will be subject to the new award charts.

In addition, off-peak (OP) periods have been sharply reduced. For example, Europe OP has changed from Oct. 15-May 15 to Nov. 1-Dec. 14 & Jan. 10-Mar. 14.
NOTE: Region changes

  • Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Earning Redeemable Miles (RDMs) / Award Miles - Change second half of 2016 (EST. ~1 OCT 2016)
For the first part of 2016, RDMs will continue to be earned as they are today. Sometime (most likely later) in "the second half of 2016" RDMs will switch to spend-based model, akin to Delta and United.

RDMs earned will be the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees (excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) times the following multiplier based on status level:
  • 5 miles/U.S. dollar – non-status AAdvantage member
  • 7 miles/U.S. dollar – Gold Member
  • 8 miles/U.S. dollar – Platinum Member
  • 11 miles/U.S. dollar – Executive Platinum Member
It appears from the FAQ NO 500 mile minimum for elites - further information will be forthcoming from AA as these changes roll out.
In the example below, in Costa Rican Colones so used only for illustrative purposes, the airport and countered fees and taxes would be excluded from RDM calculations:

As it states in the thread specific to this issue, it appears ~01 October is the likely start date for revenue-based Award Miles earning - and they'll announce one month in advance.

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Originally Posted by Fernando_BR View Post
(2 May 2016)

Hi everyone,

This is what I´ve read on a Brazilian blog.

The blogger met Suzane Rubin on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice.

I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog. You can check it (in Portuguese):
http://www.mestredasmilhas.com/2016/...ards-2016.html

(Reformatted for wiki use.)

"Agora vamos às novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informações aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue não irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 mês de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se você compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e não milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but with a probable date in October this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.

Business Extra changes

Effective 30 Nov 2015, European Business Extra members' accounts have been migrated to the joint AA-BA-IB "On Business" programme. (Announced 24 Nov 2015)

Apparently effective ~1 Jan 2016, BPX- upgrades become more restricted. See this post. (Remains unannounced!)

24 hour ticket hold gone as of 1 April 2016

HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel

Effective April 1, you will not be able to put paid bookings on 24-hour hold if making them by telephone.

The 24-hour hold (as well as "pay for extended hold") will be available online, though 24-hour hold will only be available for an indeterminate, interim period of time.

There will be no free cancellation if travel is booked less than seven days out.

Other key changes
  • As of January 1, 2016, EXPs will earn 4 SWUs (down from 8) upon requalification with 100K EQM. Two additional SWUs will be earned at 150K EQM, and again at 200K EQM.
  • As of March 1, 2016, Gold and Platinum elite members will earn 4 "stickers" for each 12,500 EQM flown (up from 10,000 EQM) in a membership year.
  • As of March 1, 2016, the price to purchase a "sticker" (online, kiosk, agent) increases to $40 (up from $30 online/kiosk, $35 agent).
  • As of March 1, 2016, the price to purchase 8 "stickers" using miles increases to 40,000 RDM (up from 35,000 RDM).
  • Elite status earned in 2016 for 2017 will expire on January 31, 2018.
  • No announcement about the rumored revised status challenge has been made
Link to ARCHIVE: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes (formally unannounced, but reliably sourced)
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 20, 16, 1:12 pm
  #751  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FNT, but DTW if I can't help it
Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Posts: 757
Current situation on the premium flights < 500 Mi front:

All of my flights that posted with the wrong amounts from Jan-Mar have been retroactively fixed without any additional line items appearing in my account.

An ORD-FNT (265 Mi) flight booked in Y (1.5x Multiplier) from April 17 posted with the error still occurring (500 EQM, rather than 750)

It looks like they ARE doing the sweeps to fix these things, but that new flights are still initially posting with the error.
josmul123 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 12:37 am
  #752  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: World
Posts: 1,467
Originally Posted by josmul123 View Post
Current situation on the premium flights < 500 Mi front:

All of my flights that posted with the wrong amounts from Jan-Mar have been retroactively fixed without any additional line items appearing in my account.

An ORD-FNT (265 Mi) flight booked in Y (1.5x Multiplier) from April 17 posted with the error still occurring (500 EQM, rather than 750)

It looks like they ARE doing the sweeps to fix these things, but that new flights are still initially posting with the error.
Had 2x flights < 500 miles in full Y both post for exactly 500 EQM today.
mster is offline  
Old May 2, 16, 6:02 am
  #753  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 693
do we know when they switch to RDM per $ instead of distance? also, i assume it's fly date, not book date?
imgonnafly is offline  
Old May 2, 16, 6:46 am
  #754  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 4,780
Originally Posted by imgonnafly View Post
do we know when they switch to RDM per $ instead of distance? also, i assume it's fly date, not book date?
Exact date has not been announced.
How they will handle existing reservations has not been announced.
(I would assume the switchover date (whenever it is) to RDM/$ will hold true for new and existing reservations.)
Global321 is offline  
Old May 5, 16, 4:52 pm
  #755  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Posts: 2,596
Perhaps I'm being oversensitive due to my experience with the Smisek Regime at United, and the tendency to be opaque in announcing changes. In there case they often announced changes that were retroactive in their effective date.

Since AA seems hell-bent on a revenue based mileage accrual program--which by the way, I don't think is necessarily a revenue enhancer if you look at United's revenues and yields since matching Delta on this. Why not tell us what's going on?

When is the second half of the year?

Given that AA is being very non-committal on a start date, couldn't they at least come out with a statement of reassurance about what will happen with reservations already made that end up subjected to the new policy??? Is that too much to ask?

I supposed if AA comes out and says, that miles will be earned based on the booking or traveling date which ever is earlier (through the end of 2016) some people might rush to book flights now. Financially, I don't see much down side if they were to do this, if some people rush to book under the current program, then AA gets to play with that revenue for several months, and isn't on the hook for anything more than they are right now in terms of miles. And if people, want to wait to book more expensive flights such as international business class travel, they can do so (again I don't see a massive mileage obligation on AA's part given the current bonus mile program for long-haul). Ending the speculation, and anxiety some people have would benefit AA by providing a clear course of action for purchase decisions.
transportbiz is offline  
Old May 5, 16, 5:15 pm
  #756  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,302
Originally Posted by transportbiz View Post
Perhaps I'm being oversensitive due to my experience with the Smisek Regime at United, and the tendency to be opaque in announcing changes. In there case they often announced changes that were retroactive in their effective date.

Since AA seems hell-bent on a revenue based mileage accrual program--which by the way, I don't think is necessarily a revenue enhancer if you look at United's revenues and yields since matching Delta on this. Why not tell us what's going on?

When is the second half of the year?

Given that AA is being very non-committal on a start date, couldn't they at least come out with a statement of reassurance about what will happen with reservations already made that end up subjected to the new policy??? Is that too much to ask?

I supposed if AA comes out and says, that miles will be earned based on the booking or traveling date which ever is earlier (through the end of 2016) some people might rush to book flights now. Financially, I don't see much down side if they were to do this, if some people rush to book under the current program, then AA gets to play with that revenue for several months, and isn't on the hook for anything more than they are right now in terms of miles. And if people, want to wait to book more expensive flights such as international business class travel, they can do so (again I don't see a massive mileage obligation on AA's part given the current bonus mile program for long-haul). Ending the speculation, and anxiety some people have would benefit AA by providing a clear course of action for purchase decisions.
As it states in the thread specific to this issue, it appears ~01 October is the likely start date for revenue-based Award Miles earning - and they'll announce one month in advance.

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Originally Posted by Fernando_BR View Post
(2 May 2016)

Hi everyone,

This is what I´ve read on a Brazilian blog.

The blogger met Suzane Rubin on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice.

I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog. You can check it (in Portuguese):
http://www.mestredasmilhas.com/2016/...ards-2016.html

(Reformatted for wiki use.)

"Agora vamos às novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informações aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue não irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 mês de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se você compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e não milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but with a probable date in October this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.
JDiver is offline  
Old May 5, 16, 8:48 pm
  #757  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Posts: 8,144
Originally Posted by imgonnafly View Post
do we know when they switch to RDM per $ instead of distance? also, i assume it's fly date, not book date?
2nd half of 2016. I guess that can mean anywhere between July 1st and December 31st. Personally, I don't know what they are waiting for. They are wasting millions of miles by not implementing this sooner. DP must be kicking himself very hard about waiting so long on this.
DL2SXM is offline  
Old Sep 3, 16, 1:23 pm
  #758  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,312
Originally Posted by boboqui View Post
I placed a 20K off-peak SA2 reservation on hold that after it's ticketed I will need to change (to a date that exceeds 337 booking days).

Status: ON HOLD - Purchase By: Mar 26, 2016 11:59 PM EDT

Tomorrow we shall know AA's policy regarding flight date changes. Please keep us updated. ^
I was able to reschedule the 20K award reservations to fly on March 23, 2017 at no extra cost. ^
boboqui is offline  
Old Jan 20, 17, 8:19 am
  #759  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Posts: 2,973
Has there been any updates or announcements about getting complimentary F upgrades on domestic flights on an AAward ticket?

AA had originally said "later in 2017" but I wasn't sure if they updated this or not.
econometrics is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 4:57 pm
  #760  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Posts: 7,503
Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
Has there been any updates or announcements about getting complimentary F upgrades on domestic flights on an AAward ticket?

AA had originally said "later in 2017" but I wasn't sure if they updated this or not.
This has started.
anabolism is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 5:02 am
  #761  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Posts: 4,208
LON-SNN-JFK available J saver award but not SNN-JFK?

Apologies in advance as I am search challenged.
As you can see from the title a J award is available from LHR with a connection in SNN but if I try for a saver J award from SNN-JFK it only shows availability in anytime award.

I am in Europe now so I'll have to skype AA res so before I do that is it possible to just book SNN-JFK if I call and speak to someone?
cruisr is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 5:12 am
  #762  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,765
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
Apologies in advance as I am search challenged.
As you can see from the title a J award is available from LHR with a connection in SNN but if I try for a saver J award from SNN-JFK it only shows availability in anytime award.

I am in Europe now so I'll have to skype AA res so before I do that is it possible to just book SNN-JFK if I call and speak to someone?
This thread covers the AAdvantage program changes from 2016...I'm guessing your question will be merged into one of the existing milesAAver or oneworld award helpdesk threads.

That said, BA flies the LCY-JFK route with a tech stop in SNN to refuel and for pax to clear US immigration/customs. BA does not sell seats just on the SNN-JFK portion. The AAnytime awards you are seeing is for AA metal connections through PHL.
JJeffrey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: