FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1725133-just-facts-2016-aadvantage-program-changes-announced-17-nov-2015-a.html)

josmul123 Apr 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Current situation on the premium flights < 500 Mi front:

All of my flights that posted with the wrong amounts from Jan-Mar have been retroactively fixed without any additional line items appearing in my account.

An ORD-FNT (265 Mi) flight booked in Y (1.5x Multiplier) from April 17 posted with the error still occurring (500 EQM, rather than 750)

It looks like they ARE doing the sweeps to fix these things, but that new flights are still initially posting with the error.

mster Apr 21, 2016 12:37 am

Originally Posted by josmul123 (Post 26512817)
Current situation on the premium flights < 500 Mi front:

All of my flights that posted with the wrong amounts from Jan-Mar have been retroactively fixed without any additional line items appearing in my account.

An ORD-FNT (265 Mi) flight booked in Y (1.5x Multiplier) from April 17 posted with the error still occurring (500 EQM, rather than 750)

It looks like they ARE doing the sweeps to fix these things, but that new flights are still initially posting with the error.

Had 2x flights < 500 miles in full Y both post for exactly 500 EQM today.

imgonnafly May 2, 2016 6:02 am

do we know when they switch to RDM per $ instead of distance? also, i assume it's fly date, not book date?

Global321 May 2, 2016 6:46 am

Originally Posted by imgonnafly (Post 26564717)
do we know when they switch to RDM per $ instead of distance? also, i assume it's fly date, not book date?

Exact date has not been announced.
How they will handle existing reservations has not been announced.
(I would assume the switchover date (whenever it is) to RDM/$ will hold true for new and existing reservations.)

transportbiz May 5, 2016 4:52 pm

Perhaps I'm being oversensitive due to my experience with the Smisek Regime at United, and the tendency to be opaque in announcing changes. In there case they often announced changes that were retroactive in their effective date.

Since AA seems hell-bent on a revenue based mileage accrual program--which by the way, I don't think is necessarily a revenue enhancer if you look at United's revenues and yields since matching Delta on this. Why not tell us what's going on?

When is the second half of the year?

Given that AA is being very non-committal on a start date, couldn't they at least come out with a statement of reassurance about what will happen with reservations already made that end up subjected to the new policy??? Is that too much to ask?

I supposed if AA comes out and says, that miles will be earned based on the booking or traveling date which ever is earlier (through the end of 2016) some people might rush to book flights now. Financially, I don't see much down side if they were to do this, if some people rush to book under the current program, then AA gets to play with that revenue for several months, and isn't on the hook for anything more than they are right now in terms of miles. And if people, want to wait to book more expensive flights such as international business class travel, they can do so (again I don't see a massive mileage obligation on AA's part given the current bonus mile program for long-haul). Ending the speculation, and anxiety some people have would benefit AA by providing a clear course of action for purchase decisions.

JDiver May 5, 2016 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 26583073)
Perhaps I'm being oversensitive due to my experience with the Smisek Regime at United, and the tendency to be opaque in announcing changes. In there case they often announced changes that were retroactive in their effective date.

Since AA seems hell-bent on a revenue based mileage accrual program--which by the way, I don't think is necessarily a revenue enhancer if you look at United's revenues and yields since matching Delta on this. Why not tell us what's going on?

When is the second half of the year?

Given that AA is being very non-committal on a start date, couldn't they at least come out with a statement of reassurance about what will happen with reservations already made that end up subjected to the new policy??? Is that too much to ask?

I supposed if AA comes out and says, that miles will be earned based on the booking or traveling date which ever is earlier (through the end of 2016) some people might rush to book flights now. Financially, I don't see much down side if they were to do this, if some people rush to book under the current program, then AA gets to play with that revenue for several months, and isn't on the hook for anything more than they are right now in terms of miles. And if people, want to wait to book more expensive flights such as international business class travel, they can do so (again I don't see a massive mileage obligation on AA's part given the current bonus mile program for long-haul). Ending the speculation, and anxiety some people have would benefit AA by providing a clear course of action for purchase decisions.

As it states in the thread specific to this issue, it appears ~01 October is the likely start date for revenue-based Award Miles earning - and they'll announce one month in advance.

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Originally Posted by Fernando_BR (Post 26565332)
(2 May 2016)

Hi everyone,

This is what I´ve read on a Brazilian blog.

The blogger met Suzane Rubin on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice.

I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog. You can check it (in Portuguese):
http://www.mestredasmilhas.com/2016/...ards-2016.html

(Reformatted for wiki use.)

"Agora vamos às novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informações aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue não irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 mês de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se você compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e não milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but with a probable date in October this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.

DL2SXM May 5, 2016 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by imgonnafly (Post 26564717)

2nd half of 2016. I guess that can mean anywhere between July 1st and December 31st. Personally, I don't know what they are waiting for. They are wasting millions of miles by not implementing this sooner. DP must be kicking himself very hard about waiting so long on this.

boboqui Sep 3, 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui (Post 26366994)
I placed a 20K off-peak SA2 reservation on hold that after it's ticketed I will need to change (to a date that exceeds 337 booking days).

Tomorrow we shall know AA's policy regarding flight date changes. Please keep us updated. ^

I was able to reschedule the 20K award reservations to fly on March 23, 2017 at no extra cost. ^

econometrics Jan 20, 2017 8:19 am

Has there been any updates or announcements about getting complimentary F upgrades on domestic flights on an AAward ticket?

AA had originally said "later in 2017" but I wasn't sure if they updated this or not.

anabolism Jun 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 27791668)
Has there been any updates or announcements about getting complimentary F upgrades on domestic flights on an AAward ticket?

AA had originally said "later in 2017" but I wasn't sure if they updated this or not.

This has started.

cruisr Sep 12, 2017 5:02 am

LON-SNN-JFK available J saver award but not SNN-JFK?

Apologies in advance as I am search challenged.
As you can see from the title a J award is available from LHR with a connection in SNN but if I try for a saver J award from SNN-JFK it only shows availability in anytime award.

I am in Europe now so I'll have to skype AA res so before I do that is it possible to just book SNN-JFK if I call and speak to someone?

JJeffrey Sep 12, 2017 5:12 am

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 28805673)
Apologies in advance as I am search challenged.
As you can see from the title a J award is available from LHR with a connection in SNN but if I try for a saver J award from SNN-JFK it only shows availability in anytime award.

I am in Europe now so I'll have to skype AA res so before I do that is it possible to just book SNN-JFK if I call and speak to someone?

This thread covers the AAdvantage program changes from 2016...I'm guessing your question will be merged into one of the existing milesAAver or oneworld award helpdesk threads.

That said, BA flies the LCY-JFK route with a tech stop in SNN to refuel and for pax to clear US immigration/customs. BA does not sell seats just on the SNN-JFK portion. The AAnytime awards you are seeing is for AA metal connections through PHL.