Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Program Changes for 2016 - Just the Facts
as announced 17 Nov 2015 in FAQ on aa.com

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR QUESTIONS: we are seeing the same questions come up time and again, and those are often addressed here. NOTE: this thread is being closely monitored and moderated as needed to ensure it stays within the narrow remit of its topic.

Please see and post to AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - Discussion and Reaction all reactions, speculation about next steps, opinions, discussion, praise, complaints etc.

Link to AAdvantage program updates and FAQ links (17 Nov 2015)

New related threads:

FAQ: Award changes after 22 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not (Award changes 22 March 2016 or after may incur award miles redeposit (fees) and significant increases of miles required to issue new ones - but some changes may be made without doing so.)

See Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partners 2016 for more about earning EQM.

See Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016 for more regarding AAdvantage Award ("Redeemable") Miles.
Link to Gary Leff's article with charts, etc.

Also: brp has revised his spreadsheet for 2016 conditions - now named Miles Tracker v. 8.0. It can be downloaded from Gargoyle's page linked to in the OP, or here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tracker-v8.xls (NOTE: due to technical problems, the proper spreadsheet was not uploaded.)

AA reducing some checked baggage allowance tickets pchs on / after 29 Mar 2016

Elite Qualification and Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) - Change 1 Jan 2016
In 2016, there will be two methods to qualify for elite status:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

• Elite Qualifying Points (EQP) no longer exist (EQM replaced them).

• Thresholds for elite status qualification remain the same as 2015.
EQM will continue to be calculated based on distance flown (base miles). All EQM on AA marketed flights ("AA codeshares" / "AA coded flights") will earn at least 1 EQM per mile flown, with bonus multipliers for higher fares (regardless of operating carrier, AA itself or another carrier):

AA Marketed Flights Link
  • 3 EQMs/mile – Full-fare First or Business / F, J
  • 2 EQMs/mile - Discount First or Business / A, P, D, R, I
  • 1.5 EQMs/mile – Full-fare Main Cabin / Y, B and W when AA marketed on airline partners
  • 1 EQM/mile - Discount Main Cabin / all other Main Cabin fares
  • This applies to all AA marketed flight numbers, regardless of operating carrier.
  • Elites continue to earn 500 EQM minimum per segment

Originally Posted by brp
    Further confirmation of above from inside AA. He (JonNYC) got a message from AAdvantage

Originally Posted by JonNYC Vie
    That's what I'm told as well-- fix on the way, system not operating as intended at present.
    Further confirmation of above from inside AA. He got a message from AAdvantage
    Originally Posted by AAdvantage
    Thanks for your questions on EQM earning. There is a glitch in how the minimum mileage guarantee for EQMs is being calculated. The calculation should credit the 500 mile minimum before applying the EQM multiplier. Beginning in the next few weeks, we will be running a retroactive process to “true up” any accounts where the member did not earn the proper number of EQMs. This process will continue to run until the calculation can be reprogrammed in the AAdvantage system.
    So, they will do an adjustment for those that were shorted so far and the system will soon be fixed for real.
    Cheers.

So, they will do an adjustment for those that were shorted so far and the system will soon be fixed for real.

Cheers.
AA Elite-Qualifying Partner Airlines
  • 1.5 EQMs/mile - First, Business, and Premium Economy
  • 1.0 EQMs/mile - Full-fare economy (typically Y and B, but varies by partner)
  • 0.5 EQMs/mile - All other mileage-earning economy fares
  • This applies to partner-marketed flights which are eligible to earn AAdvantage miles (typically meaning operated by oneworld carriers and affiliates, though this varies by partner), even if operated by AA.
Link to aa.com Partner Airline Miles Earning Charts as of 1 Jan 2016.

The is no minimum dollar spending requirement to obtain status.

AAdvantage Miles Award Charts - Change 22 Mar 2016
Link to American Airlines Award Charts as of 22 Mar 2016 (Note: some region descriptions were updated ~10 Feb 2016.)

See this post by Smiley90 for a compilation of new mileage redemption charts and changes.

Link to oneworld and other airline Award Charts as of 22 Mar 2016

Link to tool for old and new award chart comparison by bgriz18.

The number of miles required for many awards changed effective March 22, 2016. Award flights ticketed on or after March 22, 2016 will be subject to the new award charts.

In addition, off-peak (OP) periods have been sharply reduced. For example, Europe OP has changed from Oct. 15-May 15 to Nov. 1-Dec. 14 & Jan. 10-Mar. 14.
NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Earning Redeemable Miles (RDMs) / Award Miles - Change second half of 2016 (EST. ~1 OCT 2016)
For the first part of 2016, RDMs will continue to be earned as they are today. Sometime (most likely later) in "the second half of 2016" RDMs will switch to spend-based model, akin to Delta and United.

RDMs earned will be the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees (excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) times the following multiplier based on status level:
  • 5 miles/U.S. dollar – non-status AAdvantage member
  • 7 miles/U.S. dollar – Gold Member
  • 8 miles/U.S. dollar – Platinum Member
  • 11 miles/U.S. dollar – Executive Platinum Member
It appears from the FAQ NO 500 mile minimum for elites - further information will be forthcoming from AA as these changes roll out.
In the example below, in Costa Rican Colones so used only for illustrative purposes, the airport and countered fees and taxes would be excluded from RDM calculations:

As it states in the thread specific to this issue, it appears ~01 October is the likely start date for revenue-based Award Miles earning - and they'll announce one month in advance.

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Originally Posted by Fernando_BR
(2 May 2016)

Hi everyone,

This is what I´ve read on a Brazilian blog.

The blogger met Suzane Rubin on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice.

I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog. You can check it (in Portuguese):
http://www.mestredasmilhas.com/2016/...ards-2016.html

(Reformatted for wiki use.)

"Agora vamos às novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informações aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue não irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 mês de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se você compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e não milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but with a probable date in October this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.

Business Extra changes

Effective 30 Nov 2015, European Business Extra members' accounts have been migrated to the joint AA-BA-IB "On Business" programme. (Announced 24 Nov 2015)

Apparently effective ~1 Jan 2016, BPX- upgrades become more restricted. See this post. (Remains unannounced!)

24 hour ticket hold gone as of 1 April 2016

HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel

Effective April 1, you will not be able to put paid bookings on 24-hour hold if making them by telephone.

The 24-hour hold (as well as "pay for extended hold") will be available online, though 24-hour hold will only be available for an indeterminate, interim period of time.

There will be no free cancellation if travel is booked less than seven days out.

Other key changes
  • As of January 1, 2016, EXPs will earn 4 SWUs (down from 8) upon requalification with 100K EQM. Two additional SWUs will be earned at 150K EQM, and again at 200K EQM.
  • As of March 1, 2016, Gold and Platinum elite members will earn 4 "stickers" for each 12,500 EQM flown (up from 10,000 EQM) in a membership year.
  • As of March 1, 2016, the price to purchase a "sticker" (online, kiosk, agent) increases to $40 (up from $30 online/kiosk, $35 agent).
  • As of March 1, 2016, the price to purchase 8 "stickers" using miles increases to 40,000 RDM (up from 35,000 RDM).
  • Elite status earned in 2016 for 2017 will expire on January 31, 2018.
  • No announcement about the rumored revised status challenge has been made
Link to ARCHIVE: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes (formally unannounced, but reliably sourced)
Print Wikipost

JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethang801
has AA fixed the issue with minimum EQM earning in first class yet?
Originally Posted by josmul123
Can confirm that the "glitch" is still in place. Flew LAS-PHX (255 Mi) in a 2x multiplier bucket and got 510 EQM.
Sorry to report that the this has been delayed, with no date offered for the fix now.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Sorry to report that the this has been delayed, with no date offered for the fix now.
This isn't (yet) comparable to the "we're going to let you see your SWU balance in your account" debacle*, but it certainly does reflect the apparent difficulty of crafting relatively minor changes in a very old, klugey CRS / PSS.

It also, IMO, highlights how well the migration from US to AA systems went, given the high potential for a meltdown a la UA.

*For those of us who didn't go through this experience, it took over 18 months to accomplish iirc, and thankfully extended SWU / eVIP life significantly.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
It also, IMO, highlights how well the migration from US to AA systems went, given the high potential for a meltdown a la UA.
+1 on that in particular. Given that they're trying to make a computer system that was written in, what the 1960s (?) work, they've done remarkably well if miscalculation of class of service bonuses with respect to 500 mile minimums is one of the largest IT issues with the merger, as easy as that sounds to work with to those of us whose databases are only several terabytes (and, most importantly, whose databases can be shut down for a few days or weeks if needed to rewrite something!).
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:04 am

Back to the facts, this has been stated by several EP agents and a supervisor; it can be discussed in the proper thread. I did want to post now so members can be aware their number of voluntary changes to "old chart" awards may be limited.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...posit-not.html

One thing that has come from some generally excellent sources:

Those making changes to existing (old award chart) award bookings will be allowed ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE at the old chart level; ensuing changes will require additional miles in accordance with the new awards chart. There is a rule that has been circulated, confirmed by several EP agents and a supervisor.
We'll have to get additional verification and fill in blanks to see if this applies to ALL voluntary changes or to specific ones.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
This isn't (yet) comparable to the "we're going to let you see your SWU balance in your account" debacle*, but it certainly does reflect the apparent difficulty of crafting relatively minor changes in a very old, klugey CRS / PSS.

*For those of us who didn't go through this experience, it took over 18 months to accomplish iirc, and thankfully extended SWU / eVIP life significantly.
Although considering how badly UA's went, I think this is relatively small potatoes. However, I can see it hurting if one is close to an elite tier or sticker threshold, and the corrected balance would make a different (i.e. current plat going to EXP, being short those 4 stickers by 500-1000 miles, etc).

Sabre appears to be a bit more robust than SHARES is. I think the fact we made it this far without a major meltdown shows that.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I'm not sure if this information adds value to the 500-mile-minimum discussion, but I'll post it just in case.

I spoke to an AAdvantage Customer Service supervisor about my 3/20 LAS-PHX flight in A where I earned 510 EQM, and she referenced an internal communication dated March 10 that said they had begun running weekly batches to fix peoples' EQM counts who were affected by this issue. She indicated that the batches had started running, but that she was "absolutely sure they hadn't gotten to March yet."

I still have a flight from January that I'm expecting to change, so we may be able to gauge where they are in their batches if people find their flights have been fixed. That is, assuming the batches have in fact begun and are running in date order as she indicated.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:04 pm
Suspended

I'm not sure if this information adds value to the 500-mile-minimum discussion, but I'll post it just in case.

I spoke to an AAdvantage Customer Service supervisor about my 3/20 LAS-PHX flight in A where I earned 510 EQM, and she referenced an internal communication dated March 10 that said they had begun running weekly batches to fix peoples' EQM counts who were affected by this issue. She indicated that the batches had started running, but that she was "absolutely sure they hadn't gotten to March yet."

I still have a flight from January that I'm expecting to change, so we may be able to gauge where they are in their batches if people find their flights have been fixed. That is, assuming the batches have in fact begun and are running in date order as she indicated.
Unfortunately, I believe that info was superseded by "oops, we can't do this" with no new ETA for fix. Hopefully I'm wrong about that, but I believe that's the most current status.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Unfortunately, I believe that info was superseded by "oops, we can't do this" with no new ETA for fix. Hopefully I'm wrong about that, but I believe that's the most current status.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing... But if my Jan 31 flight magically changes, I'll report back.

At least it only took 2 reps (original and supervisor) to admit that there was even a problem and that 510 miles wasn't the right amount this time.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing... But if my Jan 31 flight magically changes, I'll report back.

At least it only took 2 reps (original and supervisor) to admit that there was even a problem and that 510 miles wasn't the right amount this time.
Progress!!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Y
Progress!!
Forgive me if I don't pop the champagne (ahem, sparkling wine) yet.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:05 pm

Fact: new change, effective April 1 (no foolin'):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ld-cancel.html

As of tomorrow, we will not be able to put paid bookings on 24 hour hold if making telephone bookings.

The 24 hour hold (as well as "pay for extended hold") will be available online, though 24 hour hold will only be available for an indeterminate, interim period of time.

There will still be no "free" cancelation if travel is booked less than seven days out (in spite of the fact neither DL nor UA have this restriction on 24 hour cancelation).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:43 pm

As of tomorrow, we will not be able to put paid bookings on 24 hour hold if making telephone bookings.

The 24 hour hold (as well as "pay for extended hold") will be available online, though 24 hour hold will only be available for an indeterminate, interim period of time.

There will still be no "free" cancelation if travel is booked less than seven days out (in spite of the fact neither DL nor UA have this restriction on 24 hour cancelation).
And before people get too wound up, note that this relates to paid (cash) bookings only. Award holds are allegedly unaffected, for now.

Last edited by beltway; Mar 31, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
And before people get too wound up, noet that this relates to paid (cash) bookings only. Award holds are allegedly unaffected, for now.
That's what the post says. Otoh, in the thread an either unedumacated AA spokesperson misspeaks or lets the other shoe show a little bit when he says that nothing's changed, award bookings may still be held for 24 hours. But that's not for discussion in this thread; it's for the thread referenced above.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
Forgive me if I don't pop the champagne (ahem, sparkling wine) yet.
Hey, it could be prosecco.

Going for great, giving up at just above mediocre.™

I always put reservations on hold before booking them because half the time I have to fight with the website to give me the fare I found on ITA Matrix, and I don't want to lose it while I try others.

So, is there a clear-cut rule about refunds that follows the DOT regulations that we should expect to be new policy? 24-Hour cool-off period except within 7 days? Or maybe AA will just take more minuscule DOT fines and cap off their record profits with more profits from people who have itchy booking fingers?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:34 am

The new AA awards chart shows Sth Pacific to Europe First Class at 115,000 miles Is this one way or return? I tried to book SYD (CX J) - HKG (BA F) -LHR (BA F) -HKG (CX J) - SYD. It came up as multiple awards, 115,000 + 90,000 + 40,000 miles. Previously with UA Dividend miles it was it was one figure Australia to Europe return Is this correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.