Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Program Changes for 2016 - Just the Facts
as announced 17 Nov 2015 in FAQ on aa.com

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR QUESTIONS: we are seeing the same questions come up time and again, and those are often addressed here. NOTE: this thread is being closely monitored and moderated as needed to ensure it stays within the narrow remit of its topic.

Please see and post to AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - Discussion and Reaction all reactions, speculation about next steps, opinions, discussion, praise, complaints etc.

Link to AAdvantage program updates and FAQ links (17 Nov 2015)

New related threads:

FAQ: Award changes after 22 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not (Award changes 22 March 2016 or after may incur award miles redeposit (fees) and significant increases of miles required to issue new ones - but some changes may be made without doing so.)

See Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partners 2016 for more about earning EQM.

See Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016 for more regarding AAdvantage Award ("Redeemable") Miles.
Link to Gary Leff's article with charts, etc.

Also: brp has revised his spreadsheet for 2016 conditions - now named Miles Tracker v. 8.0. It can be downloaded from Gargoyle's page linked to in the OP, or here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tracker-v8.xls (NOTE: due to technical problems, the proper spreadsheet was not uploaded.)

AA reducing some checked baggage allowance tickets pchs on / after 29 Mar 2016

Elite Qualification and Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) - Change 1 Jan 2016
In 2016, there will be two methods to qualify for elite status:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

• Elite Qualifying Points (EQP) no longer exist (EQM replaced them).

• Thresholds for elite status qualification remain the same as 2015.
EQM will continue to be calculated based on distance flown (base miles). All EQM on AA marketed flights ("AA codeshares" / "AA coded flights") will earn at least 1 EQM per mile flown, with bonus multipliers for higher fares (regardless of operating carrier, AA itself or another carrier):

AA Marketed Flights Link
  • 3 EQMs/mile – Full-fare First or Business / F, J
  • 2 EQMs/mile - Discount First or Business / A, P, D, R, I
  • 1.5 EQMs/mile – Full-fare Main Cabin / Y, B and W when AA marketed on airline partners
  • 1 EQM/mile - Discount Main Cabin / all other Main Cabin fares
  • This applies to all AA marketed flight numbers, regardless of operating carrier.
  • Elites continue to earn 500 EQM minimum per segment

Originally Posted by brp
    Further confirmation of above from inside AA. He (JonNYC) got a message from AAdvantage

Originally Posted by JonNYC Vie
    That's what I'm told as well-- fix on the way, system not operating as intended at present.
    Further confirmation of above from inside AA. He got a message from AAdvantage
    Originally Posted by AAdvantage
    Thanks for your questions on EQM earning. There is a glitch in how the minimum mileage guarantee for EQMs is being calculated. The calculation should credit the 500 mile minimum before applying the EQM multiplier. Beginning in the next few weeks, we will be running a retroactive process to “true up” any accounts where the member did not earn the proper number of EQMs. This process will continue to run until the calculation can be reprogrammed in the AAdvantage system.
    So, they will do an adjustment for those that were shorted so far and the system will soon be fixed for real.
    Cheers.

So, they will do an adjustment for those that were shorted so far and the system will soon be fixed for real.

Cheers.
AA Elite-Qualifying Partner Airlines
  • 1.5 EQMs/mile - First, Business, and Premium Economy
  • 1.0 EQMs/mile - Full-fare economy (typically Y and B, but varies by partner)
  • 0.5 EQMs/mile - All other mileage-earning economy fares
  • This applies to partner-marketed flights which are eligible to earn AAdvantage miles (typically meaning operated by oneworld carriers and affiliates, though this varies by partner), even if operated by AA.
Link to aa.com Partner Airline Miles Earning Charts as of 1 Jan 2016.

The is no minimum dollar spending requirement to obtain status.

AAdvantage Miles Award Charts - Change 22 Mar 2016
Link to American Airlines Award Charts as of 22 Mar 2016 (Note: some region descriptions were updated ~10 Feb 2016.)

See this post by Smiley90 for a compilation of new mileage redemption charts and changes.

Link to oneworld and other airline Award Charts as of 22 Mar 2016

Link to tool for old and new award chart comparison by bgriz18.

The number of miles required for many awards changed effective March 22, 2016. Award flights ticketed on or after March 22, 2016 will be subject to the new award charts.

In addition, off-peak (OP) periods have been sharply reduced. For example, Europe OP has changed from Oct. 15-May 15 to Nov. 1-Dec. 14 & Jan. 10-Mar. 14.
NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Earning Redeemable Miles (RDMs) / Award Miles - Change second half of 2016 (EST. ~1 OCT 2016)
For the first part of 2016, RDMs will continue to be earned as they are today. Sometime (most likely later) in "the second half of 2016" RDMs will switch to spend-based model, akin to Delta and United.

RDMs earned will be the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees (excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) times the following multiplier based on status level:
  • 5 miles/U.S. dollar – non-status AAdvantage member
  • 7 miles/U.S. dollar – Gold Member
  • 8 miles/U.S. dollar – Platinum Member
  • 11 miles/U.S. dollar – Executive Platinum Member
It appears from the FAQ NO 500 mile minimum for elites - further information will be forthcoming from AA as these changes roll out.
In the example below, in Costa Rican Colones so used only for illustrative purposes, the airport and countered fees and taxes would be excluded from RDM calculations:

As it states in the thread specific to this issue, it appears ~01 October is the likely start date for revenue-based Award Miles earning - and they'll announce one month in advance.

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Originally Posted by Fernando_BR
(2 May 2016)

Hi everyone,

This is what I´ve read on a Brazilian blog.

The blogger met Suzane Rubin on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice.

I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog. You can check it (in Portuguese):
http://www.mestredasmilhas.com/2016/...ards-2016.html

(Reformatted for wiki use.)

"Agora vamos ŕs novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informaçőes aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue năo irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 męs de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se vocę compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e năo milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but with a probable date in October this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.

Business Extra changes

Effective 30 Nov 2015, European Business Extra members' accounts have been migrated to the joint AA-BA-IB "On Business" programme. (Announced 24 Nov 2015)

Apparently effective ~1 Jan 2016, BPX- upgrades become more restricted. See this post. (Remains unannounced!)

24 hour ticket hold gone as of 1 April 2016

HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel

Effective April 1, you will not be able to put paid bookings on 24-hour hold if making them by telephone.

The 24-hour hold (as well as "pay for extended hold") will be available online, though 24-hour hold will only be available for an indeterminate, interim period of time.

There will be no free cancellation if travel is booked less than seven days out.

Other key changes
  • As of January 1, 2016, EXPs will earn 4 SWUs (down from 8) upon requalification with 100K EQM. Two additional SWUs will be earned at 150K EQM, and again at 200K EQM.
  • As of March 1, 2016, Gold and Platinum elite members will earn 4 "stickers" for each 12,500 EQM flown (up from 10,000 EQM) in a membership year.
  • As of March 1, 2016, the price to purchase a "sticker" (online, kiosk, agent) increases to $40 (up from $30 online/kiosk, $35 agent).
  • As of March 1, 2016, the price to purchase 8 "stickers" using miles increases to 40,000 RDM (up from 35,000 RDM).
  • Elite status earned in 2016 for 2017 will expire on January 31, 2018.
  • No announcement about the rumored revised status challenge has been made
Link to ARCHIVE: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes (formally unannounced, but reliably sourced)
Print Wikipost

JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I usually buy discounted J tickets for work and I make EXP via EQP, so the new program works to my advantage ... for now.

Question I have is:

I buy one RTW ticket in J every year thru AA. Some of the flights are on IB, BA and CX. On my previous itinerary, it showed a IB/BA/CX flight number and under it showed an AA flight number. Will I get the correct 2 EQM's for that flight or will it fall under the new partner earnings rate?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Microwave
I've read through as much as I can of the thread so far... Has there been any definitive clarification on the absurd dichotomy between "Base miles (elite qualifying)" and "EQMs per mile flown" for partners? They can't both be correct, and even a 10th grader could tell you that you can't get 0.5 EQM per mile flown, while 25% of the miles flown will be elite qualifying... They simply cannot be read in conjunction, so either one or the other is true.

Surely someone at AA could have, I dunno, proofread these pages before posting them? As in, someone who knows enough about what an EQM is to know that these two column headers directly contradict each other? Sigh.
I have to assume it's an editing error. Base miles (elite qualifying) is the old language; it seems pretty clear to me that base miles are no longer elite qualifying, so the "(elite qualifying)" bit is just a relic. EQMs are now a multiplier times miles flown, whereas EQPs were a multiplier of base miles.

But I'm not aware of any indisputable evidence. (I too haven't made it all the way through the thread.)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:25 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ashill
I have to assume it's an editing error. Base miles (elite qualifying) is the old language; it seems pretty clear to me that base miles are no longer elite qualifying, so the "(elite qualifying)" bit is just a relic. EQMs are now a multiplier times miles flown, whereas EQPs were a multiplier of base miles.

But I'm not aware of any indisputable evidence. (I too haven't made it all the way through the thread.)
I have read the entire thread and there is no answer.

And the posters who posted about the seemingly dual-worried confusion are right--the columns contradict themselves.

My educated guess tells me that, for example, the 25%column on BA's Aadvantage chart tells me that we will earn 25% RDMs on the miles flown, and .5 EQM. That's based on how every other award chart I've seen in the OW partners.

I think it was an oversight and will get worded correctly soon.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I see it as an editing error of sorts. If the charts were split out to have revised (and different) headers, then it may be a bit more clear.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's not the operating carrier that counts, it's the marketing carrier. If it's an AA coded flight, you earn as if flying AA; if it's a BA, CX, IB coded flight, even if operated by AA, you earn as if flying BA, CX, IB.

Originally Posted by anaggie
I usually buy discounted J tickets for work and I make EXP via EQP, so the new program works to my advantage ... for now.

Question I have is:

I buy one RTW ticket in J every year thru AA. Some of the flights are on IB, BA and CX. On my previous itinerary, it showed a IB/BA/CX flight number and under it showed an AA flight number. Will I get the correct 2 EQM's for that flight or will it fall under the new partner earnings rate?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Well, let's be clear: currently EQP are a factor of EQM, not a factor of base miles.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Platinum, Membership in Lufthansa Miles & More, Aegean, BA Executive Club
It appears that all discount economy fares on non-AA partners earn 50% EQM.

Frankly, before JonNYC posted the news, I expected this to be the case for all partners including AA; I expected them to essentially eliminate the old EQMs in favor of the old EQPs (perhaps renaming them EQMs). On partners, that's essentially what happened (except that 1.0 EQP on discount, as opposed to discount, fares is gone), so relative to my expectations before JonNYC's scoop, it's not so bad. But it is still a change that may well lead to a revaluation of my flying in 2017 (to the extent I have any idea what my life -- let alone my frequent flyer programs -- will be like in 2017!).
I thought FinnAir discount economy miles where going to remain the same with 100% credit to AA mileage accounts. Only BA was dropping to 50%. Am I wrong?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:36 am
SK

Arrow Radix malorum est cupiditas

I asked the same question in the now archived megathread (the one based on JonNYC's info), before the official announcement. The responses I received are that it will probably be similar to what UA and DL do with their own partners. To quote Fanjet's response:

Both UA and DL base their mileage earnings on the ticket stock issued. Meaning: their own ticket stock. For example, if you purchase a $1200 RT Y ticket from SFO to BUD on United (and that FRA-BUD segment is on LH), it makes no difference. You will receive the UA FF credit for a $1200 ticket. […]
If you bought that ticket via LH, then the earnings will be different. And based on mileage flown and fare class purchased.

Originally Posted by flatlander
When AA are calculating RDM based on price paid, how are they going to calculate "price paid" for complex itineraries?

For example without any effort I can get 7 segments on a ticket on one fare, 3 BA and 4 AA. The AA segments should earn at 11* fare paid, the BA ones will earn at some percentage times distance times class of service factor. I will fly such an itinerary next week - what happens if I do the same in the second half of 2016?

How much did I pay for the AA segments and how much for the BA ones?

If I chose to credit some segments to BAEC and some to AAdvantage, does that affect this calculation?

Another example: I buy an AONE6 RTW fare, how much did I pay for each segment? There is a non-public but predictable allocation of revenue from xONEx fares to each carrier so there is a division of revenue already defined, but how will AA tell me what the calculation is even if they use it?

How do other airlines with cost-based RDM earning handle multi-carrier itineraries?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SK
I asked the same question in the now archived megathread (the one based on JonNYC's info), before the official announcement. The responses I received are that it will probably be similar to what UA and DL do with their own partners. To quote Fanjet's response:

Both UA and DL base their mileage earnings on the ticket stock issued. Meaning: their own ticket stock. For example, if you purchase a $1200 RT Y ticket from SFO to BUD on United (and that FRA-BUD segment is on LH), it makes no difference. You will receive the UA FF credit for a $1200 ticket. […]
If you bought that ticket via LH, then the earnings will be different. And based on mileage flown and fare class purchased.
Read the AA FAQ linked to in the wikipost. What will matter is which airline is the marketing airline, not which airline imprints the ticket.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold
strategy for a JL F trip to Vietnam March 2017

I am wanting to visit Vietnam in Feb of 2017 flying AA/JL from MCI-ORD-NRT-SGN or HAN in F. There is usually a lot of F award space on JL flights. Right now that would take 135K miles per ticket. New award chart will take 220K miles, 60% more. Obviously I need to book something now as I am not willing to spend 220K miles for an F award. Besides, I don't have enough AA miles for the new award level but I do for the current.

Should my strategy be book tickets now for whatever dates are available, then in March 2016 when Feb. 2017 seats are open change the ticket? Locking in an award now would be for travel in October 2016 which is 4 months earlier than I can go. Can I call every month and just keep moving the trip ahead one month until I get to my ideal travel time?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I've read every post in both threads about these changes and something is still missing, and hopefully hasn't changed. How is the qualifying year defined?

I have no shame about being a kettle EXP. A great loophole I've done for the last few years is front loading a bunch of travel to re-qualify very early in the year which yields me status for 2 years.

I'm set to re-qualify for EXP on Feb 5th. Usually that would get me EXP until the end of Feb '18, but this quote from AA.com about the changes has me a bit concerned:

The membership year is also changing. Beginning with the 2017 membership year, elite status will be valid through January 31 of the following year.
It can't be right that someone who qualifies for EXP in November only gets status for 2 months, is it?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by flipside
It can't be right that someone who qualifies for EXP in November only gets status for 2 months, is it?
It's not. In 2017 you are qualifying for the 2018 membership year, and such status will last through Jan31 of the year following the membership, not qualifying, year.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I've read every post in both threads about these changes and something is still missing, and hopefully hasn't changed. How is the qualifying year defined?

I have no shame about being a kettle EXP. A great loophole I've done for the last few years is front loading a bunch of travel to re-qualify very early in the year which yields me status for 2 years.

I'm set to re-qualify for EXP on Feb 5th. Usually that would get me EXP until the end of Feb '18, but this quote from AA.com about the changes has me a bit concerned:

It just refers to the change that your exp will expire jan 31 instead of feb 28/29. So they shortened the validity by 1 month, why I dont know but
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

Status earned during 2016 will be good through January 31, 2018. This is a month earlier than status has historically expired.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Just want to make sure I properly understand this. Starting with the new 2016 regime if for example:

I purchase a JFK-CDG one way J ticket for $2,000 as a Plat.

I earn 2x mileage flown towards my EQM qualification for status and 2,000 x 8 for RDM? So in essence, to make Plat, I need to fly 40,000 miles in discount Y or 20,000 in discount J/F (assuming 10k EQM bonus from CCard).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.