Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Expertflyer just sent me an alarm that DUS- YYZ is available (just set the alarm yesterday) but no space showing on AA or BA. Am quite new to Expertflyer, is it normal that they show phantom space? I have a paid subscription but not sure if it's worth it if I get fake space.
If it is not showing on ba.com, then it is very possible EF is reporting space that is available only thru AB's TopBonus programme.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:27 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Expertflyer just sent me an alarm that DUS- YYZ is available (just set the alarm yesterday) but no space showing on AA or BA. Am quite new to Expertflyer, is it normal that they show phantom space? I have a paid subscription but not sure if it's worth it if I get fake space.
We looked up your alert and it is not phantom as other Oneworld airline award searches show availability for your flight. If you need further help please email us directly, thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Would you guys take a chance on booking a J award through AA on AB for 08/2018 BNA-PRG?
If indeed the end is near, how will AA handle those AB awards? Are they likely to re book me on a BA flight which will stick me with exhorbitant fees?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gnggng
Would you guys take a chance on booking a J award through AA on AB for 08/2018 BNA-PRG?
If indeed the end is near, how will AA handle those AB awards? Are they likely to re book me on a BA flight which will stick me with exhorbitant fees?
It's possible they could - but if you are proactive you could check for availability and feed them alternatives. If you can get AA to get you to a connecting point to Prague - regardless of whether that show availability, they can do this - you might find ongoing availability on another airline, such as IB. At least in theory, they could request a seat through their liaison, even, from an AA connecting point. And BA on the European leg wouldn't be brutal on the YQ.

But that's "if" and we really can only speculate whether airberlin will pull a Mexicana or Malév.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We looked up your alert and it is not phantom as other Oneworld airline award searches show availability for your flight. If you need further help please email us directly, thanks.
Thanks, indeed it shows on Qantas. Hm, I wasn't aware that airberlin doesn't make the same space available to all Oneworld partners.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
It's possible they could - but if you are proactive you could check for availability and feed them alternatives. If you can get AA to get you to a connecting point to Prague - regardless of whether that show availability, they can do this - you might find ongoing availability on another airline, such as IB. At least in theory, they could request a seat through their liaison, even, from an AA connecting point. And BA on the European leg wouldn't be brutal on the YQ.

But that's "if" and we really can only speculate whether airberlin will pull a Mexicana or Malév.
Thanks so much! I will have to weigh the options.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Thanks, indeed it shows on Qantas. Hm, I wasn't aware that airberlin doesn't make the same space available to all Oneworld partners.
They don't, it's just a mater of which partners can correctly display, pull-up and book the available space-- something AA/AA.com is very weak at
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cy-proceedings

AB filed for the German equivalent of Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It doesn't mean the carrier is under threat of imminent liquidation but one must expect changes to operations and organization.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Should be in operation until end of November courtesy of German taxpayers.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by seawolf
Should be in operation until end of November courtesy of German taxpayers.
Jawohl.

If I had an award as early as this Fall, I'd be looking at alternative availability just as insurance.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by gnggng
Six days ago I booked an award ticket for March to Zurich on AA metal and then to Prague via Berlin on Airberlin (the Airberlin segments only showed up as individual segments and I had to feed them to the AA agent). Taxes and fees were pretty reasonable ($123). Worst case scenario you'd be in Zurich and could take a train, plane, or even just rent a car.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by George Purcell
Six days ago I booked an award ticket for March to Zurich on AA metal and then to Prague via Berlin on Airberlin (the Airberlin segments only showed up as individual segments and I had to feed them to the AA agent). Taxes and fees were pretty reasonable ($123). Worst case scenario you'd be in Zurich and could take a train, plane, or even just rent a car.
I'm hoping to secure awards on AA metal, or at least on AA and IB and avoid the problems. I'll have to wait until the end of Sept to see what they release for my date.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Award tix on AA miles

I have two award tix - booked with AA miles - for coming X-mas flights for my kids to come home on AB from GVA via DUS to SFO.
I really would like to make other arrangements now.
Would AA be able to cancel the flights without penalties?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Travelomania
I have two award tix - booked with AA miles - for coming X-mas flights for my kids to come home on AB from GVA via DUS to SFO.
I really would like to make other arrangements now.
Would AA be able to cancel the flights without penalties?
Probably not as nothing is certain yet. AA operated under bankruptcy for years and then exited when they merged with US Airways. That's no reason to give a no fee cancellation. As Air Berlin's fate is not known yet, you can ask for another OW carrier if there's availability but I'm afraid they are unlikely to give you a full refund.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I'm afraid they are unlikely to give you a full refund.
I've had AA award tix cancelled without any fees due to schedule changes.
You don't think this would qualify, even with schedule changes that are almost sure to come ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.