Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:17 pm

I can see VIE-DUS and BUD-DUS in Y, but nothing after April 30th. Nothing, just blacked out till the end of the calendar. I've never seen this before.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by piffle
It seems that Air Berlin is either extremely popular or just unavailable in the OneWorld network. I have been looking for flights in economy or business from TXL - JFK and I can't find a single Air Berlin flight in June or a return Air Berlin Flight in August. I would expect that, even if a saver wasn't available, there would be a standard award available at least one of those days throughout the month. I spoke to an AA rep, thinking I would have better luck on the phone, and they said that they have had the same issue with AB as well as Cathay. Not sure if anything can be done. I would fly BA but their carrier fees are almost as expensive as buying the ticket outright. What a scam that is.

P.S. On the flip side Star Alliance has plenty of saver availability for TXL-JFK and their carrier fees are peanuts. +1 for Star Alliance.
I realize this is late posting (but the thread has been bumped anyways) but why would you expect to see anything other than Saver for an AB flight? Partner awards are ALWAYS saver, you will never see AAnytime partner awards
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I can see VIE-DUS and BUD-DUS in Y, but nothing after April 30th. Nothing, just blacked out till the end of the calendar. I've never seen this before.
So according to AA they have no knowledge of any problem displaying AB flights past April 30th even though the calendar is blank for every route I tried.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Superorb
So according to AA they have no knowledge of any problem displaying AB flights past April 30th even though the calendar is blank for every route I tried.
AB isn't really a great airline, there are much better oneworld partners.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
This might be true, but last year when looking for flights to Europe in the summer of 2014, they weren't difficult to find on Air Berlin
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:33 am

That fly direct from TXL to the US? Enlighten us, please.

And FWIW, I think AB J to be perfectly serviceable. I'd take it over most of the AA or BA J products, particularly if it cut off a connection.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer

And FWIW, I think AB J to be perfectly serviceable. I'd take it over most of the AA or BA J products, particularly if it cut off a connection.
I think AB is just fine IME. And in the past it would sometimes be one of the more available options across the pond particularly without onerous fuel surcharges.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:24 am

It is when you need nonstop VIE-DUS.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not direct, I meant in general. Unless it's an urgent work matter, I would take a connecting flight over non-stop on AB since its J product is quite sub-par.

Further, the OP did not state he was only interested in non-stop options, not sure where you got that from.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Not direct, I meant in general. Unless it's an urgent work matter, I would take a connecting flight over non-stop on AB since its J product is quite sub-par.

Further, the OP did not state he was only interested in non-stop options, not sure where you got that from.
Of course to connect you will likely need an Air Berlin flight to connect from Berlin to whatever your transatlantic gateway of choice is, which means even accepting your off- topic opinion of the airline, the lack of AB award availability is a problem.

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 6, 2016 at 12:29 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Of course to connect you will likely need an Air Berlin flight to connect from Berlin to whatever your transatlantic gateway of choice is, which means even accepting your off- topic opinion of the airline, the lack of AB award availability is a problem.
Actually, considering that AY, BA and IB (Express) all fly to TXL from their respective hubs, connecting to TXL using an airline other than AB is a possibility.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Actually, considering that AY, BA and IB (Express) all fly to TXL from their respective hubs, connecting to TXL using an airline other than AB is a possibility.
Sure, it's a possibility. But if the concern is award availability, you'd certainly want AB short haul to be available, which not only increases availability but also opens up practically every AA European destination. Are you saying you think Iberia has amazing business class? Or just trolling?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Sure, it's a possibility. But if the concern is award availability, you'd certainly want AB short haul to be available, which not only increases availability but also opens up practically every AA European destination. Are you saying you think Iberia has amazing business class? Or just trolling?
I agree that AB having no availability when they used to have relatively good availability is a negative development. I have no quibble with that.

I was simply pointing out that your claim that "you will likely need an Air Berlin flight to connect from Berlin to whatever your transatlantic gateway of choice is" is not an accurate representation. For most people using AA miles and not AB, I'd say their transatlantic gateway is London, Madrid, or Helsinki--all of which have flights on other airlines that connect to TXL. And I would say, at least for BA and AY, that award availability intra-Europe for these airlines is generally readily available. Hence, if I were willing to take a connection because I wanted to fly the AA 77W or AY or IB, rather than AB (as it seems at least one person is willing to do), then the lack of AB availability is not necessarily a problem.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though not a fan of IB's BusinessPlus, I still find it superior over AB's long-haul J. Further, at least IB offers a J cabin on intra-Europe flights; AB certainly does not.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I agree that AB having no availability when they used to have relatively good availability is a negative development. I have no quibble with that.

I was simply pointing out that your claim that "you will likely need an Air Berlin flight to connect from Berlin to whatever your transatlantic gateway of choice is" is not an accurate representation. For most people using AA miles and not AB, I'd say their transatlantic gateway is London, Madrid, or Helsinki--all of which have flights on other airlines that connect to TXL. And I would say, at least for BA and AY, that award availability intra-Europe for these airlines is generally readily available. Hence, if I were willing to take a connection because I wanted to fly the AA 77W or AY or IB, rather than AB (as it seems at least one person is willing to do), then the lack of AB availability is not necessarily a problem.
I said likely, not always. Given the number of one world transatlantic gateways served out of TXL by other OW carriers (3) v. Those served by AB (6), and the difference in frequencies, I stand by that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.