Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I was searching 10-11 mos out and not seeing anything either.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:47 am

I can't see any on AA/BA/Qantas. I'm guessing maybe they pulled it all after the publicizing of the transatlantic award space available in business on the blogs. I'm hoping it comes back, looking to book, and stuck in limbo
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:34 am

perhaps it has to do with the AB IT upgrade that took place in December.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
I have been eyeing this issue since November. The availability cliffs off on Mar 5 with nothing in the future.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
perhaps it has to do with the AB IT upgrade that took place in December.
I'm not sure which one is better/worse...
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Any update on availability of AB awards?

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I was wondering if anyone had updated information on why there are absolutely zero TATL AB awards this summer. Wondering if it's just a glitch? I was able to find a fair amount on the QF site and one or two on the BA site, but AA.com doesn't show them and reservations agents say they can't see anything. Add to that the fact that there is zero AA metal savers. Very frustrating! Am I just stuck paying BA fuel surcharges? Seems like a racket.

Any workarounds?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:19 am

Appeared to be a technology problem. AB is back on the AA site availability now looking like what the AB site shows.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I am still not finding any AB space on AA or BA websites. I am able to find space on EF and the QF websites, however, when I call AA they say they cannot see the space. I had one agent tell me that each airline is allocated space (rather than space being available to all OW members) and that they can't use space allocated to QF. What a joke....sounds like total BS to me.

Anyone had luck booking AB space not showing up on AA or BA websites over the phone?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lucjos0224
I am still not finding any AB space on AA or BA websites. I am able to find space on EF and the QF websites, however, when I call AA they say they cannot see the space. I had one agent tell me that each airline is allocated space (rather than space being available to all OW members) and that they can't use space allocated to QF. What a joke....sounds like total BS to me.

Anyone had luck booking AB space not showing up on AA or BA websites over the phone?
Tried the same thing over the phone. No luck here. Space showed on AB site and QF but not BA or AA. Agent couldn't find the space, kind of pain.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:13 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
AB is a carrier in deep economic trouble. They just announced that they'll cut even more routes and have decreased capacity by almost 7% last year. While this is primarily due to suspending service to some rather exotic intra-EU destinations, inventory on other flights has also been reduced.

Another issue that might have bled negatively into other flights was a court decision to disallow certain code share flights with Ethihad in December. Just a couple of days ago, their winter flight schedule was put on life support by extending the permission to operate those flight until late March but leaving open what happens after that date. Ethihad is als heavily meddling with operations (they hold about a third of AB) and pushed through a move to concentrate everything in DUS at the expense of FRA and TXL (what was supposed to be BER by now). The German press is also rumoring that Ethihad has just put another cost cutting plan in effect, maybe this is another result.

Some award flights also disappeared because of minimum connection times - I asked the guys in FRA why I am sometimes unable to book (even for $$$) the old AA70 to FRA and continue on with AB6580 flight to TXL. I was told (by an agent, not some authoritative source) that AA70 is quite unreliable and they had a lot of trouble with US passengers being furious and extremely vocal about needing to wait in FRA for about 10 hours for the next flight.

Last edited by c_d; Jan 24, 2016 at 8:22 am
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:48 pm

Booking airberlin flight with AAdvantage miles question

If this needs to be directed elsewhere please let me know and I apologize in advance. I'm having a hard time understanding the possibility of booking an award on airberlin using AAdvantage miles.

Situation:
Looking to book an award from Berlin to Chicago in September 2016.

I have read online that airberlin availability is searchable on aa.com.

When I search for flights on aa.com on say 9/11/2016, I don't see any availability.

If I search on qantas.com I can see a direct flight for 30,000 miles. Does this mean if I call AA I can just give them the flight information and they can book it for me? Or am I doing something incorrect preventing me from seeing this availability on aa.com.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:21 pm

AB flights have stopped showing, without a clear explanation. See, for example, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-trouble.html
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by lucjos0224
I'm going to try calling tonight, will expect the same answer but we'll see .
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:50 am

Stupid thought here...AB is good buddies with EY. It has been a longstanding issue that EY space shows but cannot be booked by many domestic AAgents. Workaround is to call down under. So, anyone called down under for AB space? I mean, maybe there is some shared IT element, and the trick will work for these guys too??? If no one has tried it might be worth a shot...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
In November i was able to book an AA awards 2 seats on J from SFO-DUS-LHR-FCO. It happaned when blogs made us aware that AB had plenty of award seats for the summer.
At that time I called AA (aa.com not showing the AB flights award availability) and the operator was able to find the seats somehow, except the direct flight DUS-FCO.
I've been checking often and neither AA nor BA.com show availability on the flight i need (5:55pm one), BUT Qantas shows it available for 2 seats. I called AA and they don't see it.
I guess I'll just have to keep on checking daily... for another 7 months. Bah!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.