Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:31 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Could this be the worst on time percentage for a single flight in the history of air travel? Hard to imagine anything being worse than 27% reliable.
Plenty of others that are worse. China Eastern 271, scheduled on PEK-PVG, 11% on time.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:43 am

I called last night to check the status of my upgrade - and I'm glad I did, because I was only on the list for the return flight, not the outbound!

Six days out...no upgrade yet.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Talking

Originally Posted by cmd320
Could this be the worst on time percentage for a single flight in the history of air travel? Hard to imagine anything being worse than 27% reliable.
Absolutely atrocious. AA should be ashamed of themselves. If you can't operate the route with any sort of on-time consistency, don't operate it at all until you can. Hopefully, people will realize there is a choice. It sounds like your better off connecting in SYD and take the reliable Delta flight to SYD then jump on Virgin to AKL.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
It sounds like your better off connecting in SYD and take the reliable Delta flight to SYD then jump on Virgin to AKL.
would rather be late, use my SWU and pay $1800 RT for business class.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:30 pm

I don't know if this is permanent, but my flight departs LAX at 11:10 p.m.and arrives in AKL at 9:20 a.m. May need to update the Wiki.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
I don't know if this is permanent, but my flight departs LAX at 11:10 p.m.and arrives in AKL at 9:20 a.m. May need to update the Wiki.
It's probably for the winter months due to Daylight Savings Time. AKL's time zone is 5 hours off from LAX in NZ winter/US summer and 3 hours off in US winter/NZ summer. That means that the flight has to shift timing for Daylight Savings.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The flight times will change a few more times. I thought about updating the wiki but 1) I didn't want to search for the exact dates on when each time change in introduced, and 2) I don't see a need/reason for mentioning the time in the wiki (i.e., just delete it).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:03 pm

Three days to go and no notification. Not feeling good about this, especially with being left off the list and all!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by taffygrrl
Three days to go and no notification. Not feeling good about this, especially with being left off the list and all!
coach on this flight isn't bad with MCE. you're sitting in a chair watching movies, you'll survive
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
i wouldn't worry ... i've been checking EF for 0-3 days out two or three times a week for quite some time, looking for J, U and C inventory. I've noticed that 83/82 show award and upgrade inventory from 0 to 2 days in advance, rarely 3 days ahead. As long as you see J>1 you're probably going to get upgraded.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:12 pm

Upgrade received, 30 hours before the flight.

Anyone know how the cauliflower steak is?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Congrats. An awesome flight to an awesome destination.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

And you see you did all that worrying for no reason!

The cauliflower steak is terrible!! Even for vegetarians, one giant slice of rubbery charred edged green cauliflower with two pieces of solid butter on top and chewy Farro risotto... doesn't appeal whatsoever. It's also a 5 dollar meal with how cheap the ingredients are.

The shrimp Penang, beef Wellington, and short ribs ultimately blow this vegetarian dish away. It's so sad that AA can't make a veggie dish as gourmet as the meat options.

Oh and there's a cherry tomato on the plate too... what a bonus!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
And you see you did all that worrying for no reason!

The cauliflower steak is terrible!! Even for vegetarians, one giant slice of rubbery charred edged green cauliflower with two pieces of solid butter on top and chewy Farro risotto... doesn't appeal whatsoever. It's also a 5 dollar meal with how cheap the ingredients are.

The shrimp Penang, beef Wellington, and short ribs ultimately blow this vegetarian dish away. It's so sad that AA can't make a veggie dish as gourmet as the meat options.

Oh and there's a cherry tomato on the plate too... what a bonus!
With a recommendation like that guess I'll be eating in the OneWorld lounge before I board the plane!

I'm flying the same route in 2 weeks (for work) and it's the only vegetarian option then too. Is it the same on the return or do they offer something different? Wish they'd follow Qantas's lead and do Indian Vegetarian...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dll
Plenty of others that are worse. China Eastern 271, scheduled on PEK-PVG, 11% on time.
For anything domestic out of PEK, thats good.....

~TG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.