Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
NZ connects a lot of people to Australia through AKL, as well as to WLG/CHC/ZQN and many other smaller markets across New Zealand. The 200 per day number LAX-AKL O&D PDEW sounds about right to me.
Ah, forgot we were talking O&D traffic
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Austin787

I'll go further...JonNYC should be EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Or, as a phone AAgent called me the other day, EXCEPTIONAL PLATINUM.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
NZ connects a lot of people to Australia through AKL, as well as to WLG/CHC/ZQN and many other smaller markets across New Zealand. The 200 per day number LAX-AKL O&D PDEW sounds about right to me.
QF used to have a pretty good intra-NZ network. Back in '06 I flew SAN-LAX-AKL//ZQN-AKL-BNE//MEL-LAX-SAN all with AA flight numbers.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Or, as a phone AAgent called me the other day, EXCEPTIONAL PLATINUM.
I'm not picky
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Excellent news. Hopefully this added competition will help suppress prices in this market.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by cmd320
Excellent news. Hopefully this added competition will help suppress prices in this market.
Now I'll just have to wait for AA to start MIA-JNB to have an effect on DL's prices on ATL-JNB. Regardless, I wish AA the best on this route. I hope they become successful and become bolder in their international expansion.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Hopefully this added competition will help suppress prices in this market.

Don't count on it.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm not picky
Or as I remember when much younger...

You can call me anything you want - except late for dinner.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
having flown the 787 and the 77W i'd honestly prefer to take the 77W down to SYD unless i was specifically visiting NZ. if i could get confirmed Flagship First i would forgo the direct and connect LAX-SYD-AKL instead.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by skunker
QF used to have a pretty good intra-NZ network. Back in '06 I flew SAN-LAX-AKL//ZQN-AKL-BNE//MEL-LAX-SAN all with AA flight numbers.
They still have an reasonable network, just they destroyed it when they put Jetstar onto it.

Although JQ is about to add AKL-NSN,PMR,NPE,NPL from late this year, with Q300s.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I’m not sure if the actual date has been reported before, but it looks like the inaugural flight from LAX to AKL (flight 83) is scheduled for June 23rd, 2016. Currently you can purchase an economy seat on this flight but not a business class seat. You can also claim an economy anytime award but not a business anytime award for the inaugural. The seat maps on both AA.com and ExpertFlyer show 1A and 1L as either occupied or blocked. All other J seats are shown as unoccupied. While I’m fairly sure the lack of J seats is temporary, I do wonder why this situation has occurred. Premium seats on the inaugural LAX to SYD flight and on the inaugural DFW to HKG flight were available for purchase immediately.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by marnold3
I’m not sure if the actual date has been reported before, but it looks like the inaugural flight from LAX to AKL (flight 83) is scheduled for June 23rd, 2016. Currently you can purchase an economy seat on this flight but not a business class seat. You can also claim an economy anytime award but not a business anytime award for the inaugural. The seat maps on both AA.com and ExpertFlyer show 1A and 1L as either occupied or blocked. All other J seats are shown as unoccupied. While I’m fairly sure the lack of J seats is temporary, I do wonder why this situation has occurred. Premium seats on the inaugural LAX to SYD flight and on the inaugural DFW to HKG flight were available for purchase immediately.
Yeah, I just noticed tickets have indeed opened up for this flight. Strange how two seats are occupied but J isn't for for sale. Also, I noticed plenty of Y seats blocked off, leaving plenty of middle seats. Might just be a bug.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
...I actually updated the paragraph to clarify the info that I actually have:

American's new service to New Zealand from Los Angeles will commence in June of 2016 using the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The new LAX-Tokyo Haneda service will begin on February 11, making it twice daily flights to Toyko from Los Angeles, with the other flight servicing Tokyo Narita from LAX. Uncorroborated rumors suggest that American may the cease LAX-Tokyo Narita flight at some point, with access to Narita continuing to be available through oneworld partner Japan Airlines.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 24, 2015 at 2:02 pm Reason: Copied post to start topic specific thread
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:55 am

AKL - LAX availability

*Not positive if this is the right place for this so mods please move if necessary*

I was searching for some business class Australia - USA routings for October 2016 and was given a bunch of itineraries going SYD-AKL-USA. I pulled up the calendar and it looks like American has released at least one business sAAver seat on many of the AKL-LAX flights in Sept-Oct-Nov (and maybe more).

I've been checking fairly regularly and was never offered the AKL transit option, so this might be new. Hope it helps someone.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can you restate your question?

You want to connect thru AKL, originating in SYD, using an award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.