Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 7, 17, 10:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
Americanís Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 5, 16, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43 View Post
Can you restate your question?

You want to connect thru AKL, originating in SYD, using an award?
I don't think he was asking a question.
Rather, he was just saying that AA has opened up award seats on the new AKL-LAX/LAX-AKL route, so go grab them if you need them.
Old Mar 18, 16, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM
I just looked at mileage redemption for this route in Business on the LAX-AKL flight - nothing available 10-11 months out, other than AAnytime Awards.
Has anyone had any luck with securing Business sAAver awards? Any other routing suggestions without spending 140K miles each way?
Old Mar 25, 16, 9:29 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
I need to book JFK to AKL for travel mid July, and hope to use a SWU for the LAX to AU portion. I see the flight LAX-AKL but it has a disclaimer that this service is subject to government approval. Is that a sure thing, or could I end up last minute having to rebook on flights to SYD? Is it better to book the LAX to SYD and then connect to AKL for the potential use of a SWU?
Old Mar 25, 16, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by catwings01 View Post
I need to book JFK to AKL for travel mid July, and hope to use a SWU for the LAX to AU portion. I see the flight LAX-AKL but it has a disclaimer that this service is subject to government approval. Is that a sure thing, or could I end up last minute having to rebook on flights to SYD? Is it better to book the LAX to SYD and then connect to AKL for the potential use of a SWU?
this disclaimer exists on every new INTL flight. i can't remember the last time that an airline announced they would take up a new route, then canceled it because of a lack of gov't approval. presumably those things are all but sealed up before the public announcement is made.
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:14 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
Thanks - that is reassuring. I've booked it and now calling to see about using or waitlisting for SWU.
Old Jun 21, 16, 2:55 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
Booked on this next month, flights are pretty full! Already in business, but they're not doing meal preorders yet on either direction. Any insight on when they might add that?
Old Jun 21, 16, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's already 2/3 of the way through June 2016. Is there still no official start date? (I don't see one in this thread.)
Old Jun 21, 16, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
It's already 2/3 of the way through June 2016. Is there still no official start date? (I don't see one in this thread.)
It starts on Thursday. There's a pre-party tomorrow evening.
Old Jun 22, 16, 2:17 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
First flight departs LAX 23 June, arrives AKL 25 June.
Old Jun 22, 16, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, UA Silver, Marriot Plat
This flight has become my top choice for using SWUs. Surprised there isn't more interest, judging by posts in this thread.
Old Jun 23, 16, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wine experts: How do you feel about Opawa Pinot Noir and Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, both from NZ? Those will be two of the wines served in J.
Old Jun 23, 16, 9:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
Wine experts: How do you feel about Opawa Pinot Noir and Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, both from NZ? Those will be two of the wines served in J.
I've had the Mt. Beautiful (2012 I believe) on the ground. It's interesting because it's a little less grassy and a little more fruity than most NZ Sauvignon Blancs I've had. Overall, I thought it was a good value and I enjoyed that it was somewhat different and more complex than a typical NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

In my opinion, though, wine depends very much on personal taste, and often times I find a lot of the complexity of white wines is lost when in the air. So take this with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 23, 16, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
I've had the Mt. Beautiful (2012 I believe) on the ground. It's interesting because it's a little less grassy and a little more fruity than most NZ Sauvignon Blancs I've had.
It's from North Canterbury (Cheviot area), and not from the Marlborough region (more well known for Sauvignon Blanc). Might explain some of the difference. I personally haven't had the Mt. Beautiful, but have had Sauvignon Blanc from half a dozen of the Marlborough region wineries on a tour I took there last year.
Old Jun 24, 16, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For those who might have been on the inaugural, Fern Fernandez was on board helping out in the galley and serving passengers.
Old Jun 24, 16, 2:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Apparently AA hasn't been able to secure gates for the arrival, and will be using buses from there next service onwards? Although today they we're allocated gate 6 for the first flight. They have apparently got an slot for departure, and the UA service will have the same issue.

Search this Thread