One Way Fare from LHR

Old Nov 9, 15, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
One Way Fare from LHR

Trying to find a OW fare in Feb 2016 from LHR-PHL. Presently all that shows up are Y fares at $1800+ each.

So does this mean that AA does not offer any OW fares at anything less than full Y? I know that this is a low travel season, so I'm perplexed.

When I book a ghost fare PHL-LHR RT I can find an $800 RT coach fare.

Our problem is that we've been forced to truncate a 4 week + Europe trip planned/booked last July for Feb-Mar. We originally book separate award routings, one PHL-LHR out bound and the other returning via BCN. We've had to lop off the Spain part and are trying to salvage 7 days in London, but the OW return fare is a killer.

Checking the site every day. Not finding anything via other carriers either Is there hope or are we screwed?
Old Nov 9, 15, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No LHR-PHL award seats available?
Old Nov 9, 15, 12:12 pm

I would check with some UK based OTA websites as there are likely deals for the UK market. Also check NYC - A fairly easy train/car ride to PHL. E.g. Norwegian for $300 one-way. AA may have some unpublished deals as well.

Awards (in economy) are likely to materialize closer to the date as February is low season in Y.
Old Nov 9, 15, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just buy the RT for $709 and noshow for the return or schedule it far out and maybe use it for something else.
Old Nov 9, 15, 12:49 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Since AA is having a sale on FF miles through 13 Nov. just go to aa.com and buy 40K or 100K (economy or business for 2 pax) miles for 2-3c per mile, turn around and redeem them. Even cheaper (due to UK APD) if you could start from somewhere besides the UK - Ireland, France etc. https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift

40K miles would be $876 for 2, 110K $2124, both plus excise tax and a small transaction fee.
Old Nov 9, 15, 12:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
One-way trips between the US and Europe are exceedingly expensive, as are round trips which lack a Saturday night stay. You're seeing this in your searches, and it's unfortunately par for the course. Not quite like the domestic US market.

As was suggested, book a throwaway wayyyy far out in advance, and maybe it makes sense to change it later if there's enough value to make it worth while.
Old Nov 9, 15, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Since AA is having a sale on FF miles through 13 Nov. just go to aa.com and buy 40K or 100K (economy or business for 2 pax) miles for 2-3c per mile, turn around and redeem them. Even cheaper (due to UK APD) if you could start from somewhere besides the UK - Ireland, France etc. https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift

40K miles would be $876 for 2, 110K $2124, both plus excise tax and a small transaction fee.
Since the OP had already booked a BCN-PHL award for the return, there should be no need to purchase any miles. Just re-deposit the miles associated with the BCN-PHL awards (for a fee), and use them for LON/DUB/BRU/CDG-PHL instead. @:-)
Old Nov 9, 15, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are some cheap transatlantic fares. Can book EI from DUB-PHL for $560 one way plus $87 to get to DUB. AA however seens not to have much in discounted one way fares
Old Nov 9, 15, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

Since the OP had already booked a BCN-PHL award for the return, there should be no need to purchase any miles. Just re-deposit the miles associated with the BCN-PHL awards (for a fee), and use them for LON/DUB/BRU/CDG-PHL instead. @:-)
Or....See if there is award space from BCN on the new date and buy an inexpensive LON-BCN ticket. The change will be 'no cost' and you'll save on the UK APD.
Old Nov 9, 15, 3:18 pm

Try something like this: http://www.momondo.co.uk/

Again - there are some good sub $400 deals to be had but not on AA on not direct (unless you opt for EWR). I see one-way direct AY codeshares for around $750

Note that UK based travel agents (discounters) can often match the Student Universe fare (the cheapest ones listed).
Old Nov 10, 15, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club

I see what you're saying, but we could not find a single AA award routing out of Europe that did not take us to London and the subsequent deadly BA execution fee ( and we looked all over Europe for any routing that avoided BA & those fees ). We did find one AA metal award flight BCN-MIA ( only $75 to fees ). Not a bad idea to try to find another flight which might duplicate this.

So the other choreography would be to book RT & set the return at a distant date and cx the PHL leg pending the cx fee if we rebook within a year flying AA metal to steer clear of those BA fees out of UK. This could definitely give us a reason to do another trip in the future.

Our reason for changing present plans is my dad's recent death dumps a bunch of problems upon us which coupled with our own cascade of issues made us decide not to undertake the 5 wk journey originally planned & to limit it to London as a shorter sojourn we could handle being away.

thx all for the comments
Old Nov 10, 15, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
I just finished at 10 day cruise on the brand new Norwegian Escape from England to Miami. I flew LAX-LHR on an award ticket. Someone on the ship said they were able to get an AA codeshare from the Finnair site for $400, but I can't remember where they flew to LHR from. So, apparently, it might be possible to book through a partner on an AA operated codeshare for a low one way price. Of course, if booked through aa.com, you can expect one way international fares to often exceed the price of a round trip.
Old Nov 10, 15, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn

I see what you're saying, but we could not find a single AA award routing out of Europe that did not take us to London and the subsequent deadly BA execution fee ( and we looked all over Europe for any routing that avoided BA & those fees ). We did find one AA metal award flight BCN-MIA ( only $75 to fees ). Not a bad idea to try to find another flight which might duplicate this.

So the other choreography would be to book RT & set the return at a distant date and cx the PHL leg pending the cx fee if we rebook within a year flying AA metal to steer clear of those BA fees out of UK. This could definitely give us a reason to do another trip in the future.

Our reason for changing present plans is my dad's recent death dumps a bunch of problems upon us which coupled with our own cascade of issues made us decide not to undertake the 5 wk journey originally planned & to limit it to London as a shorter sojourn we could handle being away.

thx all for the comments
If you'd consider flying into EWR and then doing a one-way car rental, or taking Amtrak or NJT/SEPTA from EWR to PHL, call AA and ask about award-seat availability on 9W's BRU-EWR nonstop.
Old Nov 10, 15, 5:54 pm

Programs: free agent

OP's profile is US-CP. If he's AA EXP then should be able to change the routing or redeposit the miles for free as long as travel hasn't commenced on the ticket.

For me it's one of the most valuable benefits to be able to lock in seats/dates and have the flexibility to change them if plans change or cheap revenue tickets come along.
Old Nov 10, 15, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by often1 View Post
just buy the rt for $709 and noshow for the return or schedule it far out and maybe use it for something else.
absolutely.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: