Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes (formally unannounced, but reliably sourced)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes (Consolidated thread)
For the thread on the Nov 17, 2016 official announcement, click HERE

This thread has now been archived in favor of 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 18 Nov 2015

The speculation thread has been archived to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Future changes to AAdvantage program?

Q. What do we know at this point?

AA announced changes to EQM earning and status benefits in the 2017 status year (status earned in 2016) on Nov 17, 2015. These changes were previewed by member and travelingbetter.com founder JonNYC here and on travelingbetter.com.
  • No minimum spend requirements for AAdvantage elitestatus levels.

• No changes to EQM / EQS requirements for AAdvantage elite status tiers.

• All currently published fares on AA continue earning at least 100% EQM. EQP will not be a factor, and "disappear"; EQM will be variable beyond 100%. higher spend rewarded with EQM bonuses. travelingbetter.com says:
  • Full fare First/Business F/J 3 EQMs per mile flown
  • Discount fare First/Business 2 EQMs per mile flown
  • Full fare Y/B 1.5 EQMs per mile flown
  • Discount Main Cabin 1 EQM per mile flown
  • Partner-marketed flights will earn 0, 0.5, 1.0, or 1.5 EQMs, according to the airline partner earning charts. Generally, most discount economy fares earn 0.5 EQMs per mile flown, and all discount and full fare premium economy, business, and first fares earn 1.5 EQMs per mile flown.

• Status year will reset Jan 31 (2018) for those earning status in C/Y 2016

• SWU earning for EP will be variable - 4 for 100k EQMs, 2 more at 150k EQMs, and 2 more (8 total) at 200k EQMs.

• 4 SWU for Concierge Key / CK.

• SWU still usable on all currently published fares.

• 500 mile upgrade earning goes to 4 for every 12.5k EQMs (as opposed to current 4 for every 10k base miles) beginning on March 1, 2016, and MTEU year commences 1 Feb to align with new status period

• No major changes to AAdvantage awards, though some yet unannounced devaluative changes will may be made March 22, 2016 (others than travelingbetter.com)

• Changes coming later in 2016 regarding earning RDM / Redeemable Miles; earning RDM apparently will be "radically different" according to travelingbetter.com, and likely significantly impact RDM earning on lower fares - "$$ X status" says JonNYC.
  • Per Gary Leff at View From the Wing, here are the new RDM earning levelsą:

Please note: There are NO additional elite status bonuses.
    ąAward miles will be calculated using the fare purchased less any taxes and fees; flights sold with an AA flight number will include any carrier-imposed surcharges.

Q. When would a change occur?
  • Elite earning and SWU changes above would be effective for 2016 program year (for earning status for 2017)
  • We don't know the exact implementation date for the RDM changes in later 2016.
Sources: travelingbetter.com
Earlier: Mr. Parker stated there would be no changes for 2015.

Mr. Parker said he'd not be averse to using others' ideas if they worked.

28 Sep 2015: AA spokesperson Laura Nedbal to Gary Leff:
"If we were to issue changes like this we would be certain to give plenty of advanced notice."

"More than half to the company’s revenue — and 87 percent of its seats sold — come from passengers who fly American once a year or less" - S Kirby

Recently, President Scott Kirby said he was hoping for “more innovation within the frequent flyer program" (Lucky, http://="http://onemileatatime.board...ges-2016"]here.

AAdvantage program updates
Starting in 2016, we’ll make changes to the American Airlines AAdvantage® program. We’re evolving to build a rewarding program for all members, while giving our best customers access to our best benefits.

These updates will roll out in phases over time. We’ll keep you updated as we implement these changes.
Elite status in 2016
Qualifying structure
Beginning January 1, 2016, elite-qualifying points will be removed from our qualifying structure. Instead, qualification will be determined by Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) earned during a calendar year.

The membership year is also changing. Beginning with the 2017 membership year, elite status will be valid through January 31 of the following year.
Qualify for AAdvantage elite status in 2016
EQSs and EQMs
EQMs and EQSs will continue to be earned for eligible travel on American Airlines, oneworld® airlines, Alaska Airlines and American-marketed codeshare flights.

You’ll still earn 1 EQS for each eligible segment you fly.

You’ll continue to earn EQMs based on the airline and booking class purchased. Plus, Full-fare Economy, Business Class or First Class tickets on American-marketed flights will earn EQMs at a higher rate – getting you to elite status faster.

On American-marketed flights:

3 EQMs/mile – Full-fare First or Business
2 EQMs/mile - Discount First or Business
1.5 EQMs/mile – Full-fare Main Cabin
1 EQM/mile - Discount Main Cabin
Learn more about earning EQMs on American
The amount of EQMs you earn on partner airlines will change. Earn rates will vary depending on the airline.

Explore our partner airlines
Earn more EQMs

Also, as a Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card or AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver MasterCard® credit cardmember, you’ll still earn 10,000 EQMs after you reach your qualifying spend for the year when you use your eligible AAdvantage credit card.

Learn more about the Citi®/AAdvantage® Executive card
Learn more about the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver MasterCard®
Elite-qualifying thresholds
Qualification* Executive Platinum / oneworld® Emerald SM Platinum / oneworld® SapphireSM Gold / oneworld® RubySM
EQMs 100,000 50,000 25,000
EQSs 120 60 30
*At least four of the segments must be flown on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status.
Upgrades
Systemwide upgrades

If you qualify for Executive Platinum status by December 31, 2015, you’ll still earn 8 upgrades to use during your 2016 membership year.

Starting January 1, 2016, Executive Platinum members will receive 4 systemwide upgrades upon qualification or re-qualification, with the ability to earn up to a total of 8 per year.

Earn additional upgrades
Customers can earn up to 4 additional systemwide upgrades; 2 for every 50,000 EQMs earned above 100,000.

500-mile upgrades

Starting March 1, 2016:

Gold and Platinum members will earn four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 EQMs earned during the membership year
The price of 500-mile upgrades will increase to $40, online, at the airport and from an American Airlines agent
The price for purchasing 500-mile upgrades with miles will increase to 40,000 miles for 8 upgrades
Award miles
Earning in 2016 and beyond
In the second half of 2016, award miles for travel on American marketed flights will be calculated based on what you pay for your ticket (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) and your elite status; the higher your status, the more you’ll earn.

5 miles/U.S. dollar – AAdvantage member
7 miles/U.S. dollar – Gold
8 miles/U.S. dollar – Platinum
11 miles/U.S. dollar – Executive Platinum
Sample calculation
Earn bonus miles

We’ve extended our 2015 AAdvantage bonus miles promotion! Earn more award miles when you fly on a First or Business class ticket on American and select other airlines until the changes to earning award miles go into effect in the second half of 2016.

Learn more about our AAdvantage bonus miles promotion
Award redemption changes
We’re changing existing award levels for award tickets redeemed on March 22, 2016 and beyond. Plus, we’re introducing new MileSAAver® awards as low as 7,500 miles one-way (plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees) for flights 500 miles or less.

Changes to American award charts
Changes to other airline award charts
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes (formally unannounced, but reliably sourced)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ironfire
Mentions:

http://www.aa.com/aadvantage2016

Page not active yet.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Although clearly most awards go up a bit, one or two go down a bit-- but, yes, overall, increases on the most desirable awards. Some very moderate.

Biggest increases on the -most- desirable awards.

March 22 effective date.
I have an award ticket on hold, will this effect me or no? Im going to ticket it Thursday once the one flight gets space.

Its for next Sept
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by surftb15
I have an award ticket on hold, will this effect me or no? Im going to ticket it Thursday once the one flight gets space.

Its for next Sept
Absolutely no issue there, March 22 date for award chart change.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:47 am

Absolutely no issue there, March 22 date for award chart change.
Glad I put it on hold.
Considering AA is going to get a barrage of calls very soon!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:50 am

no more EQP?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ironfire
Specifically:

Do the changes being made to elite status qualification in 2016 affect my eligiblity for this offer?
No. This offer is based on the AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles, points or segments you earned in 2015. The changes announced are for elite status qualification beginning on January 1, 2016. Go to aa.com/aadvantage2016 for more information on the changes to elite qualification requirements in 2016.

I heard elite qualifying points are going away in 2016. Do the elite-qualyfing points I earned in 2015 still count in determining my eligiblity for this offer?
Yes, your elite status valid through 2/29/2016 as well as the elite-qualfying miles, points or segments you earned in 2015 will be used to determine eligiblity for this offer. Go to aa.com/aadvantage2016 for more information on the changes to elite qualification requirements in 2016.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Will the new announcement be in the form of a press release or is it something we can watch live?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by rendezvous
Will the new announcement be in the form of a press release or is it something we can watch live?
Why, want your heart to break in real time? :\.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:55 am

I guess it's not a coincidence that award ticketing has been disabled lately.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:55 am
Suspended

It's nothing of that sort, but all media is under embargo till 2pm. At that time there will be a flood of all the details.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Like an Apple keynote/release event! I am sure it will be great new stuff.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
It's nothing of that sort, but all media is under embargo till 2pm. At that time there will be a flood of all the details.
3 minutes.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I haven't been paying super-close attention to this thread by any means, but on one of my drivebys I thought you had corrected a poster a few days ago who had speculated there might be redemption changes in addition to earning/qualification changes? I thought the gist of what you had said was your information suggested no announcement of changes to redemption levels at this time...

In case that wasn't clear; there will be a new award chart announced.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
Like an Apple keynote/release event! I am sure it will be great new stuff.
Have they rented a convention center and redone everything down to the signs for the bathrooms with AA branding for the announcement? And, unlike Apple, AA managed to keep the machinations of their preparations for this event (if not the substance of it) out of the press!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It's not Friday at 4pm so the announcement can't be too bad, can it?

This thread has now been archived in favor of 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 18 Nov 2015

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 2015 at 6:46 pm Reason: Insert Moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.