Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help! I need ....... by the end of the year to (re)qualify.

Some links to resources and tools:

This thread has been archived. For the 2016 thread, please see:

The 2016 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQS by end of year" thread (consolidated)

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)

Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"

Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)

Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable

Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)

Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum

Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum

Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
how flexible is AA when I'm only 11 miles short? Does begging/groveling work?
Historically there has been some leeway, but it's been tightened down each year, especially as they have made the buy-up offers more and more public.

This year the offers go up to the 999 mile #, so it could be the year where there will be zero leeway. I guess you can call after the 1st and ask. if they say no, then the buy-up/back is your only choice.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
Historically there has been some leeway, but it's been tightened down each year, especially as they have made the buy-up offers more and more public.

This year the offers go up to the 999 mile #, so it could be the year where there will be zero leeway. I guess you can call after the 1st and ask. if they say no, then the buy-up/back is your only choice.
The only possible flights that I can work into my schedule is a a 3-hour roundtrip that will cost $290 airfare, plus one night of hotel.

How much will it cost if AA actually sells me the 11 miles?(assuming they still offer it)

Thansk!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:00 pm

Question Earn final 100 EQPs

Hello,

I am doing a mileage run this weekend leaving Sat a.m., returning Sun p.m.: LAX-ORD-MIA (overnight stay on Sat.)-PTY-MIA-LAX. Unfortunately, I think I will still be about 100 EQPs short of Executive Platinum on AA. What is the best way of ensuring I reach Exec. Plat. on this trip? Can I do a same day change on one of the legs - which leg would give me the best chance of being able to get some extra miles and likely would have open seats?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The T&C of same day change say that you can't change the number of segments. Therefore the only viable options I see are changing that ORD stop on LAX-ORD-MIA to either BOS, JFK, or PHL.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
The only possible flights that I can work into my schedule is a a 3-hour roundtrip that will cost $290 airfare, plus one night of hotel.

How much will it cost if AA actually sells me the 11 miles?(assuming they still offer it)

Thansk!
Buying miles is for RDM only. I would say call AA first. If you are now PLT and requalifying my hunch is you will have an easier time. If not its a MR for you.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:47 am

<500 mile flights, EQP's, and 2x EQP bonus

First year trying for status on AA, currently PLAT. I am just under 2000 EQP's shy of EXPLAT. Looking at the options to cross the threshold would 2 <500 mile flights in first(P) class get me 2000 EQP's with the 2015 2x EQP bonus?

Tried to back out what I had been awarded for these flights previously, but AA doesn't make it easy figuring out EQP's per flight since there is no record and RDM info only goes back to July 2015.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yes. You get a minimum 500 miles/EQP for each segment, which is doubled if purchased fare is F, so 1000 for each leg. Had many of these trips this year and all credited that way without question.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:11 pm

At 118 segments, what to do?

I am currently at 118 segments so 2 short of 120 and EXP qualification. I was wondering whether you think calling American and sweat-talking an agent into giving me the status for next year is possible, or do I need to do a quick segment run?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 12261980
I am currently at 118 segments so 2 short of 120 and EXP qualification. I was wondering whether you think calling American and sweat-talking an agent into giving me the status for next year is possible, or do I need to do a quick segment run?
Segment run. Google Flights is your friend.

I guess you could also boost to EXP for $1199, but doing a quick segment run is probably more cost effective, even factoring in the time.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd be concerned if you were trying to sweat talk an agent - sounds most unpleasant

If you want to attain EP status, then would definitely recommend taking 2 cheap short sectors - it will be the cheapest method
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by kenleebee
Hello,

I am doing a mileage run this weekend leaving Sat a.m., returning Sun p.m.: LAX-ORD-MIA (overnight stay on Sat.)-PTY-MIA-LAX. Unfortunately, I think I will still be about 100 EQPs short of Executive Platinum on AA. What is the best way of ensuring I reach Exec. Plat. on this trip? Can I do a same day change on one of the legs - which leg would give me the best chance of being able to get some extra miles and likely would have open seats?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Maybe add ORD between MIA and LAX on your return might do it.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
They have policies and they stick to them. I would not count on any leeway in getting to 120 segments.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Calling AA won't result in any helpful outcome here. It's always possible that, after 1/1/, AA decides to consider you 'close enough' and round up and give you EXP, but A) we have no idea if that will happen and B) it will be too late to take any action at that point if they don't give you EXP.

Don't risk it. Do one of the following:
A) segment run
B) Take advantage of the Boost offer. (segment run will be far cheaper)
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Your home airport isn't known but I certainly agree with the other answers that a) a segment run is your next move and b) Google Flights is your friend. I would certainly be surprised if AA made an exception. Look in the Mileage Run deals thread for some ideas.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:29 pm

Thanks, found a round trip for under $200 using Google Flights so I am all set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.