Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help! I need ....... by the end of the year to (re)qualify.

Some links to resources and tools:

This thread has been archived. For the 2016 thread, please see:

The 2016 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQS by end of year" thread (consolidated)

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)

Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"

Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)

Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable

Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)

Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum

Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum

Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LTH
Appreciate any advice on how to achieve 20k EQMs. I'm based in NYC, and can travel for full days on 12/18-20. Thank you!
The post immediately above yours offers some good tips.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
I did it playing around with Google Flights and asking around on FT. Start by looking on the dates you want to go, the airline/alliance, and class of service.

Just putting the dates and airlines in with your home airport will show you what it costs to get to various places around the world on the map. I typically will do a BWI-ANC run to rack up the miles, but it wouldn't give me enough. You can often take some of the deals in the MR forum and then ferry yourself on a cheap fare to do it.

Someone suggested runs between SFO and SJU had cheap premium fares with short turn arounds - often around $750 RT in C/F. They could also be done thru JFK which would get lie flats on the transcons.

That itinerary didn't work for me as it involved 4 days of travel - way too long for me. I looked for some other F fares out of SJU since it seemed to have cheap premium tix and found a similar fare to SEA. Adding "ferry" flights between BWI/SJU ended up giving me BWI-MIA-SJU-JFK-SEA-MIA-SJU-CLT-BWI booked in I and A for a little over $1500. With the 2x EQPs, that gives me just over the 23.3k EQPs needed, and that's leaving this Saturday morning and getting back late Sunday night.

Sometimes Google Flights will help book these for you. Other times, you have to use the multi-city option on AA's site to get these to work. A lot of it's trial and error - and not necessarily caring where you go and how you get there.

Good luck!
Solid advice/example here, this is a great addition to the thread ^

Start with your own city, if you don't find anything on Google flights, starting looking at positioning/ferry flights like he says.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LTH
Appreciate any advice on how to achieve 20k EQMs. I'm based in NYC, and can travel for full days on 12/18-20. Thank you!
Fly to SIN through DFW HKG and then back.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by muishkin
Fly to SIN through DFW HKG and then back.
+1

Or do something like LGA-PHL-DFW-PHX-ANC-PHX-CLT-DCA-LGA in F. I have a similar run coming up next weekend only it's originating and ending at PWM. Google Flights will help you find the flights, booking multiple city itineraries can be frustrating on AA.com.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by hartlogan
Solid advice/example here, this is a great addition to the thread ^

Start with your own city, if you don't find anything on Google flights, starting looking at positioning/ferry flights like he says.
Thank you. ^

The Points Guy also has a similar article from a few days ago with some more graphical examples that can provide some additional clarity:

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/easi...earch-flights/
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MEABFlyer
+1

Or do something like LGA-PHL-DFW-PHX-ANC-PHX-CLT-DCA-LGA in F. I have a similar run coming up next weekend only it's originating and ending at PWM. Google Flights will help you find the flights, booking multiple city itineraries can be frustrating on AA.com.
The phantom itinerary can also be annoying on ITA/Google Flights when flights either aren't available or price out higher when trying to book.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
I need 1 (one) EQM to qualify for Exp Plat. Wish I could post the screenshot from my
AA app.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAEXP, Marriott Lifetime EXP, Hyatt Diamond, AvisPP, National EE, Uber 5* ;) and various others...
Loooooong time lurker, first time poster.

I'm on 105 Segments right now with 2 planned for this Friday, 2 planned for Monday, 4 planned for the following Friday 14th (a segment run itinerary of SAV/CLT/ORD/MIA/DFW), 4 on the following week, and another 4 to end the year on 121 segments! It's going to be fun on Friday 14th Dec!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
I need 1 (one) EQM to qualify for Exp Plat. Wish I could post the screenshot from my
AA app.
Were you the person who posted in the buy up thread that AA wanted $1799 for that 1 EQP?

If not, someone had posted a shot from the website showing 99,999 EQPs and then the email offering the $1799 buy up.

At that, they should just give it to you rather than making you hop on a short flight just to get it.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
AA app.
Assuming you will have no other flights first I'd call. If you are currently EXP now possibly AA will just requalify you. If you are PLT 1 mile away from EXP it might only be an offer of a buy-up, which means short MR. But either way call and repost what you have been told.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
My understanding is that if you are within 100 miles of any level, you will be advanced to that next level. I could be wrong.

I've got two mileage runs next week. PHL> PHX> SEA (RT), overnight. And PHL>FLL (RT) same day.

Under $500 total and it will put me at 100,483 (90,483 BIS) miles for the year.

I need to get the Citibank card as well (I have Barclays silver) next year or start flying J more often.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:22 am

NYE Flight to make EXP; what happens if it gets cancelled

Quick question
I'm taking a NYE flight on the 31st to get me over the 100K treshhold; if the fight gets canceled will AA give e credit fro the original routing?
Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:13 am
Suspended

Others can opine in. If its weather related it could be tough to get ORC. Something in AA's control would make it easier assuming you did take an alternate flight offered. However if the alternative flight left on 1/1 getting ORC for year 2015 I'm not sure. And its somewhat doubtful you are going to get a clear answer this early out. For now I would just hold tight and worry about this very close to flight time if weather is going appears be a real issue.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chewie
My understanding is that if you are within 100 miles of any level, you will be advanced to that next level. I could be wrong.

I've got two mileage runs next week. PHL> PHX> SEA (RT), overnight. And PHL>FLL (RT) same day.

Under $500 total and it will put me at 100,483 (90,483 BIS) miles for the year.

I need to get the Citibank card as well (I have Barclays silver) next year or start flying J more often.
AA used to have an unpublished threshold that IIRC was 1K miles for EXP and 500 miles for PLT (not sure of exact miles). Also there was never any guarantee on that unpublished benefit. I think the poster really needs to contact AA and get an answe, and if told no or not sure, get a MR scheduled.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Tips for Working with Agents Standby from Nonstop to 2-3 Segments

I understand that standby allows you to change from a nonstop to a connecting flight or vice versa.

I am trying to build up some segments towards the end of the year, so I may have occasion to want to try to standby for connections when I am booked nonstop, for example:
BOS DCA
or
BOS ORD
etc.

I'm interested to know how difficult it is for agents to do this either in native Sabre or QIK? One possible issue I can see is if you go from a nonstop to a connection, you would not have enough e-ticket coupons for the connecting itinerary. Do the agents have to reissue your ticket to generate more e-ticket coupons, or does the system somehow just use your original nonstop electronic flight coupon?

Are there other tips on doing this? Best in the club, with a LAA agent with a LUS agent, etc?

Also I'm not sure say on BOS ORD if you could get put on standby with an itinerary with more than one connection, say BOS/LGA/DCA/ORD?

Another issue I can see is the agents being confused why you would want to add more segments but I guess I can just tell them re qualification. It still seems that mileage runs are so fringe but an agent in the CLT club told me they see mileage runners all the time !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.