Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American applies for LAX-HND [2015 plan delayed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of the thread discussing American Airlines' application for LAX-HND flights and the many circumstances contributing to the delays moving such flights out from 2015 Q4 to 11 Feb 2016.

For the current thread, see American Begins Daily LAX-HND Service 11 Feb 2016 w/ 787-8 (after delays).

Previously (as posted by Exec_Plat), wandering_fred and ashill:

DOT Docket is DOT-OST-2010-0018
AA's application to fly LAX-HND (and motion to transfer DL's authority to fly SEA-LAX) is document DOT-OST-2010-0018-0384

On June 14, 2015, the DOT ruled that Delta would retain the HND slot for use on SEA-HND with dormancy conditions that require Delta to operate the flight every day of the year.

On June 17, 2015, Delta notified the DOT in a letter that it would "determined that it is not commercially feasible to operate the slots allocated to Delta for Seattle-Haneda service on a consistent daily basis year-round". The last Delta SEA-HND flight will operate on September 30, 2015. Delta will return the slots to the DOT on October 1, 2015, at which point the slots will automatically revert to American.

American service on LAX-HND could begin (err rather could have begun) as early as October 1, 2015.

While DOT has granted rights to AA, the actual time slots in which AA can arrive and depart HND are subject to negotiation with HND and other carriers.

- It is not clear that DL had slots every day of the year, and in fact DL may have been required to surrender the slots on August 15, 2015.
- AA needs to secure daily slots for HND, however the annual winter 2015 (W15) slot conference was on June 23, 2015, only a few days after DL notified DOT they would surrender the route.
- It is unknown when AA will acquire new time slots. Purportedly the IATA slot conference for S15 will be 10-12 November. Going by the published calendar Oct 8 begins this activity: https://www.iata.org/events/Document...activities.pdf
-There may be some motion with daytime slots (Aviationweek):
The U.S. Transportation Department (DOT) recently briefed U.S. carriers on the Japanese proposal, several people familiar with the matter told Aviation Daily. As it is currently understood, the proposal would shift some of the slots available to U.S. carriers to daytime hours. It may also include one additional slot pair, which would likely not be for a daily flight
- Per the published guidelines, the SAL Deadline is October 29, 2015, at which time the airport shall have made their initial decision on all slots to be allocated for the coming season. [One assumes horsetrading then begins.]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: American applies for LAX-HND [2015 plan delayed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Maybe AA is planning on using the 787 on this route. I could see them certainly canceling LAXNRT if they were planning on using the 772, but if they use a combo of 787s and 772s then maybe both routes will stay.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Maybe AA is planning on using the 787 on this route. I could see them certainly canceling LAXNRT if they were planning on using the 772, but if they use a combo of 787s and 772s then maybe both routes will stay.
That is what I was thinking too. About them putting the 787 on this route. It would be a very good use.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Originally Posted by brabb12
That is what I was thinking too. About them putting the 787 on this route. It would be a very good use.
Assuming that AA were to win this route case, there is practically no chance that AA would switch it to a 787 within the first couple of years. AA's application recounts in great detail the failure of DL to use the huge airplanes that it promises in its HND applications as yet another reason to strip the frequency from DL. AA's application also goes into great detail about the (current) 3-class 772 and the planned reconfigured 772.

Substantially higher probability that LAX-NRT becomes a 787 if AA wins LAX-HND.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:51 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I have a feeling AA has a decent chance at this route.

DL has applied for LAX-PVG for July 9th, daily with a 772.

Schedule is as follows

DL 185 LAX-PVG 13:15-18:15
DL 186 PVG-LAX 20:55-18:15
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by gemini573
I have a feeling AA has a decent chance at this route.

DL has applied for LAX-PVG for July 9th, daily with a 772.

Schedule is as follows

DL 185 LAX-PVG 13:15-18:15
DL 186 PVG-LAX 20:55-18:15
It appears Delta is ready to give up on Haneda and retaliating against AA by killing their yields on LAX-PVG as PVG is a Skyteam hub. If AA is given LAX-HND, it will likely be served by the 787-8. LAX-PVG will probably be downgauged to the 787-8 as well as Delta receives the authority to serve the route. I don't see any reason why Delta doesn't receive the authority to start this route as they will undoubtedly end NRT-PVG simultaneously. Let LAX-PVG get REALLY ugly!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Longboater
If AA is given LAX-HND, it will likely be served by the 787-8.
No. See FWAAA's comment above. AA's application emphatically pledges to operate the route with a 772.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It appears Delta is ready to give up on Haneda and retaliating against AA by killing their yields on LAX-PVG as PVG is a Skyteam hub. If AA is given LAX-HND, it will likely be served by the 787-8. LAX-PVG will probably be downgauged to the 787-8 as well as Delta receives the authority to serve the route. I don't see any reason why Delta doesn't receive the authority to start this route as they will undoubtedly end NRT-PVG simultaneously. Let LAX-PVG get REALLY ugly!
Wouldn't this kill the yields more on DL's SEA-PVG route? As LAX probably has better connection options for DL than SEA. I think the LAX-China market is growing at a reasonable rate that another carrier serving the route isn't going to cause serious damage for the existing carriers. And wouldn't the better retaliation be just to re-instate the SEA-HND service?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
If Delta isn't given a chance on the SEA to HND, after more build up of their SEA hub and promising to fly the route daily, and if AA is awarded LAX to HND, Delta should return to ORD to NRT (former NW route). Also, maybe Delta would consider DFW to NRT as the free up some slots at NRT from the reduction of intra Asian flying!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
No. See FWAAA's comment above. AA's application emphatically pledges to operate the route with a 772.
They'll start it with a 772, most likely a refurbished one, but within a year realize the Dreamliner is a much better aircraft for this route. We'll see how long United's 777 lasts on SFO-HND. Delta's load factor on LAX-HND on a 208 seat 767 has been just above 75%. SEA-HND has been a total disaster and I definitely agree AA deserves a shot at LAX-HND. The way I see it in two years assuming no daytime slots, Delta abandons Haneda entirely, United and American make a small profit operating the 787-8 on SFO/LAX-HND respectively, and Hawaiian finally operates KOA-HND and does well on this route.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Wouldn't this kill the yields more on DL's SEA-PVG route? As LAX probably has better connection options for DL than SEA. I think the LAX-China market is growing at a reasonable rate that another carrier serving the route isn't going to cause serious damage for the existing carriers. And wouldn't the better retaliation be just to re-instate the SEA-HND service?
Delta has indicated SEA-PVG has been profitable from the start, largely before SEA became a connecting hub. The O&D market shot up once the route began. They upgauged it from a 767 to a A332 within just a few months of starting the route. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched it to a 242 MTOW A333 once it comes online. The application for LAX-PVG virtually confirms Delta will be using the 242 MTOW A333 on LAX-NRT when it is delivered later this spring. Delta has codeshared with China Eastern on LAX-PVG for the past several years. They must believe they had a better chance of making a profit on this route this LAX-HND/SEA-HND.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:11 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
LAX-PVG is going to be a fight.

2 x daily by July for MU
1 x daily AA
1 x daily UA
1 x daily DL (possibility)

Does DL/MU have a JV across the Pacific.

I can imagine SWU being so easy to use on LAX-PVG.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by gemini573
LAX-PVG is going to be a fight.

2 x daily by July for MU
1 x daily AA
1 x daily UA
1 x daily DL (possibility)

Does DL/MU have a JV across the Pacific.

I can imagine SWU being so easy to use on LAX-PVG.
No open skies between US and the PRC. Once open skies becomes a reality, probably later this decade, a joint venture between DL/MU is quite likely. While Skyteam stinks in general, they have a strong presence in China with China Southern and China Eastern.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They'll start it with a 772, most likely a refurbished one, but within a year realize the Dreamliner is a much better aircraft for this route. We'll see how long United's 777 lasts on SFO-HND. Delta's load factor on LAX-HND on a 208 seat 767 has been just above 75%. SEA-HND has been a total disaster and I definitely agree AA deserves a shot at LAX-HND. The way I see it in two years assuming no daytime slots, Delta abandons Haneda entirely, United and American make a small profit operating the 787-8 on SFO/LAX-HND respectively, and Hawaiian finally operates KOA-HND and does well on this route.
Almost zero chance that AA would start LAX-HND with a refurbished 772, as AA's application made clear that it would begin with a 3-class 772 which would eventually be replaced with an even-better refurbished 772.

AA promised in its application to begin flying LAX-HND within 90 days if awarded the route and said that it would use its best efforts to begin the route within 60 days, but couldn't guarantee that it would start within 60.

AA simply doesn't have enough reconfigured 772s yet to begin LAX-HND with them.

Eventually, AA might fly this with a 787, or a 763, but it's not going to make that switch very soon, or else it would give DL a perfect opportunity to petition the DOT to strip it from AA, as DL would claim that AA lied about committing to use a 777. And it would give DL ammo in future HND proceedings if/when more frequencies become available.

Having written paragraph after paragraph about DL's failures to live up to its large aircraft promises, it's highly unlikely that AA would do anything similar.

AA, DL and HA filed their answers/rebuttals on Monday:

DL: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2010-0018-0406

AA: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2010-0018-0405

HA: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2010-0018-0408
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
http://m.atwonline.com/regulation/do...ase-proceeding
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:48 pm

Has there been any word from the DOT lately about the slot??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.