Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If AA really cared all they would have to do is make an announcement that all passengers should remain in their assigned seats. And are you 'guaranteed' the seat you reserved, I think it's not a guarantee.

The next thing you tell me is coach pax can't use the F lav on domestic flights.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:35 pm

#Hallmonitors
#SeatPolice
#DramaInSteerage
#iWannaBeHOApresident
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by deac83
The next thing you tell me is coach pax can't use the F lav on domestic flights.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
As already noted, these are upgrades. They're more expensive seats with more expansive legroom and, in some cases like the 777-300, more width.
If they were separately ticketed as a higher cabin, then they would be subject to APD at standard rate - since they are not charged standard rate APD, they are not upgrades but just better seats within the same cabin
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If they were separately ticketed as a higher cabin, then they would be subject to APD at standard rate - since they are not charged standard rate APD, they are not upgrades but just better seats within the same cabin
MCE does not incur standard APD at any time. The seat dimensions, not the cabin, dictate the APD incurred.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As already noted, these are upgrades.
Neat. How many 500-mile upgrades or SWUs do you use each year to get into MCE?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rjw242
Neat. How many 500-mile upgrades or SWUs do you use each year to get into MCE?
Simply because AA doesn't use the 500-mile or SWU program to upgrade to MCE, that doesn't mean it's not an upgrade. I doubt anyone would find the value of using a 500 mile sticker or SWU to upgrade from regular economy to MCE anyway.

But it does cost more to upgrade to MCE. In this particular case according to the AA.com seat map for my flight, it was $105 more.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Simply because AA doesn't use the 500-mile or SWU program to upgrade to MCE, that doesn't mean it's not an upgrade. I doubt anyone would find the value of using a 500 mile sticker or SWU to upgrade from regular economy to MCE anyway.
So you're insisting that these both are and aren't upgrades, depending on whichever definition is convenient for you at a given instant? What integrity.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rjw242
So you're insisting that these both are and aren't upgrades, depending on whichever definition is convenient for you at a given instant? What integrity.
Don't understand this personal attack at a poster's integrity. Nobody here is trying to ruin your day and that was uncalled for.

As stated, the admitted lucking into PEY seats - not actual PEY as they weren't marketed and there was no PEY soft product - that those of us in booked MCE on that flight had was in no way "self-upgrading" into a section/cabin/seat group that others had booked into. In this case, the self-upgraders did self upgrade into MCE. If there was no PEY seats on this flight and people from further back self-upgraded to the MCE rows, my original post would've been the same with the same point about FA's allowing self-upgraders to MCE.

This was the case of the DL flight I was originally referring to when the FA did not allow self-upgraders to the MCE equivalent seats. It seems DL's policy of not letting people from the back sit in more expensive seats they weren't booked in is different than AA's which appears to allow them to.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
MCE does not incur standard APD at any time. The seat dimensions, not the cabin, dictate the APD incurred.
It doesn't incur additional APD because it is not offered as a separate cabin - if it was an upgrade to MCE, it would

Originally Posted by apd
The reduced rates apply where the passengers are carried in the lowest class of travel on any flight unless the seat pitch exceeds 1.016 metres (40 inches), in which case, whether there is one or more than one class of travel the standard rates apply
The reduced rate would not apply if MCE was a higher class of travel - since it is not a higher class of travel the reduced rate applies
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
MCE will be an "upgrade" soon enough, like Delta Comfort+.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Unless you are elite or higher fare like y,b fare, "most aisle seats" have a cost associate with it. However, it will free up during check-in, also, more often than not, exit row will be assigned to non elite (which supposedly higher "seat cost")
I would not consider it as upgrade just like mce, and I feel FA has right to do so, within their power as long as within the same cabin, no?
While probably happening everyday, havent heard anyone brag about change from a middle seat "upgrade" to an aisle seat.
OP got "upgrade" (in his word, lucked out)within the cabin before flight start, no one else should be "upgraded" after??

Last edited by Fly2Where; Nov 19, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This was the case of the DL flight I was originally referring to when the FA did not allow self-upgraders to the MCE equivalent seats. It seems DL's policy of not letting people from the back sit in more expensive seats they weren't booked in is different than AA's which appears to allow them to.
Comfort plus on DL is a separate booking class. W is different from all other fare buckets. Specific overhead storage bins are reserved for C+ PAX. On longer domestic flights it comes with complimentary Cocktails.

That is completely different from AA's MCE and should not be compared.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
On your next flight, stop at a grocery store before the flight and buy 10 packets of M&M candies. Bring them aboard the plane. Pass the packets out to the people around you, saving one packet for yourself. But DO NOT eat the M&M's yet.

Instead, ask everyone to COUNT the exact number of M&M's in their packet. It's likely that some packets have more M&M's than others.

Lastly, if someone else has more M&M's in their packet, than YOU have in YOUR packet, scream "unfair" at the top of your lungs, and start a thread on FlyerTalk.

Let's understand what's happening here. It's okay for some people to get more than others. It happens all the time. It's normal ... as long as the person who gets more is MEEEEEE. Any other scenario is an outrage.
Except that isn't what's happening here at all. Go to the store and pay for a regular sized bag of M&Ms then try to walk out with a king size bag. That's a more accurate comparison.

AA needs to outline an actual policy regarding MCE and then enforce it. Every other airline that offers an extended economy product does this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Comfort plus on DL is a separate booking class. W is different from all other fare buckets. Specific overhead storage bins are reserved for C+ PAX. On longer domestic flights it comes with complimentary Cocktails.

That is completely different from AA's MCE and should not be compared.
Honestly, I don't think reserved overhead bin space and comped booze on some domestic flights suddenly turns comparing DL Comfort+ and AA MCE an apples/oranges comparison. Besides those two quite minor affectations, the products are comparable, close to identically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.