Things you miss about US Airways

Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Superguy
Even with competing with AA flyers on US metal, I still had a good upgrade percentages, even as an US Gold/AA Plat.

US got a bit stingier with upgrades, clearing CPs mostly at 4 days rather than the usual 7, but even then, I was batting 100% as a CP.

My guess is how/when the systems processed upgrades was different. I think US was a bit more generous and didn't really hold seats back, where AA did.
Thanks for sharing.

pmAA definitely did start holding back seats (sometimes an absurd amount of seats) until much later (sometimes even the gate). This is actually a pretty recent phenomenon over the past year or two in my experience (I don't recall the exact timing and don't know if it was old management or new management that implemented it. Just sharing that this very-late-clearing is a relatively new thing for pmAA fliers as well)
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Singapore-Caribbean mileage seats in business class for 90k miles (under $1500 including all taxes and frees with their double mile promotions!).
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ty97
Thanks for sharing.

pmAA definitely did start holding back seats (sometimes an absurd amount of seats) until much later (sometimes even the gate). This is actually a pretty recent phenomenon over the past year or two in my experience (I don't recall the exact timing and don't know if it was old management or new management that implemented it. Just sharing that this very-late-clearing is a relatively new thing for pmAA fliers as well)
It seems to have started early this year - Jan/Feb timeframe.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Joanna2360
I miss the clean, supple, handy US Airways booking site. You could find what you wanted quickly with fewer clicks than it takes to find it on the AA. The US site made me want to make a booking. The AA site makes we want to look for another airline.

I agree wholeheartedly !! AA & AA Vacations websites are just plain awful !! Way more complicated & way more scrolling & clicking involved - not at all user friendly.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:51 pm

I miss the Bar Tender from Boston who worked at the PHX US Airways Club(I forget his name) but always made me some great drinks and we chatted about the Red Sox and Boston. If he is still around I want to go and see him.

I shall also miss the Call Sign Cactus from America West Days and then US Airways days. Hearing this on United Channel 9 even when in a foreign country(like in Germany) always brought me fond memories of Arizona one of my favorite states and Sky Harbor Airport. I will forever miss the Airbus Planes which would fly from SJC-PHX and PHX-ABQ and walking up the stairs at SJC Terminal C.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Xero
#3 is available. AA.com is free on flight.
And remember if you have TMobile you can send and receive free Text Messages and retrieve Visual Voicemails for free if you don't want to pay the WiFi Fee. I have used this to get Flight Staus Updates.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
For all its faults, I miss the Usairways website. I find it infuriating that it takes forever to ticket on AA.com and often you can't make a change online you have to call in.

Also, I don't like AAs unwillingness to make changes to tickets that were not purchased from them referring me back to the original TA.

Also, as many have said before, I miss Star Alliance.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Plat
During my lifetime with LUS I was personally responsible for two full airplanes taking off late because they held them for me. It was a major inconvenience to the hundred or so other people on the plane but wow do you feel special when you land thinking you missed your connection and a US employee greets you saying "you didn't miss your connection Mr. Elliott, we held the plane for you." Twice. I don't feel that American would ever do this for me. I'm sure AA would re-accommodate me well, but that's quite a different feeling than we held this full A320 just for you.

I hate AA's multi-city tool. I much preferred US' where you chose each segment individually instead of how AA lumps it all together.

However, AA's food is better. Do any other LUS flyers remember domestic first meals? Your choice was "chicken with sauce" or "pasta with sauce" and both were pretty bad. I recently had the beef with lobster mac and cheese on a domestic flight and was quite happy.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
There is no place on FlyerTalk for unwelcoming language and attacks on fellow members or groups of fellow members. Those who ignore this fundamental concept and spirit of FlyerTalk will be held accountable to the Rules.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#welcoming

Thank you,

/Moderator
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by elliottishere
I hate AA's multi-city tool. I much preferred US' where you chose each segment individually instead of how AA lumps it all together.
It's awful and I need to do it often and if I go to a third party to book I get back to my aforementioned problem of AA not wanting to make any changes if need be to the ticket.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by elliottishere
Originally Posted by ellinj
It's awful and I need to do it often and if I go to a third party to book I get back to my aforementioned problem of AA not wanting to make any changes if need be to the ticket.
I am not familiar with exactly how the US multi-city function worked (I don't think i ever used it) but they way you describe it, it sounds to me like you may be able to replicate the functionality you desire by utilizing Google Flights. You can filter to OneWorld (or specifically to American) and then select leg by leg with the prices for the various options shown via leg. Then, when you are ready to book, Google Flights will link you through to aa.com so you actually book with AA.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:50 am
ont

(Almost) guaranteed upgrades on all domestic Y/B fares purchased in advance.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:55 pm

Here's something I miss: being able to stand and stretch for a couple of minutes outside the lavs on a mid-con or transcon narrowbody flight without being ordered back to my seat. On US this was never a problem, and more often than not I'd find myself engaged in a quick friendly chat with one or more of the FAs working the rear galley. Every time I've tried this on AA, I notice that the galley is either roped off or barricaded with the service cart, and I'm promptly told that I can't stand there (sometimes after a brusque and suspicious-sounding "Do you need something?" and sometimes without any such pleasantry). Usually I'm alone and just trying to get my circulation going again; occasionally I'm taking a quick walk with my infant daughter to get her a change in scenery, which always keeps her quiet. But universally, I'm treated like I'm there to either steal alcohol minis or harass the flight crew, or worse. I don't get it. I really hope it doesn't become the new standard across the fleet (haven't been in Y on LUS metal since the final US flight).
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:37 am

being able to email customer service and get a response that sounds like it came from someone who actually read your message.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
being able to email customer service and get a response that sounds like it came from someone who actually read your message.
This was actually the case at AA pre-merger as well. You could reply to CS responses, and you could also contact CS via phone. This was all unplugged as things were "harmonized" into the state they're in now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.