Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Onboard Cabin Service Deficiencies / Complaints / Beef (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard Cabin Service Deficiencies / Complaints / Beef (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

No One In the Galley: 3 FA's Watching Movies

Mid-flight, PVG to LAX, I went back to the galley to get some tonic water. No one was there . . . it was completely empty. However, in the back row, three FA's were seated, all of them with headphones on, watching movies or TV shows.

I stood in the galley for a while, and finally a FA unplugged herself from a movie, and I asked for the beverage. She informed me that self-service drinks were available mid-cabin, but in the end, got me a can of soda.

This is the same crew, that a few hours before, rushed through a meal service and scolded people for asking about when they would get their entree . . . as they had run out of an option. Clearly, many people did not speak English, so a little tolerance and patience would have gone a long ways.

This was on a brand new Dreamliner!

What a contrast: A super-cool, enjoyable plane staffed by people who could barely hide their dislike of their jobs and those they were there to serve.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 10, 2016 at 1:11 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT
As I'm sure you're aware from their frequent reminders, the cabin crew is there primarily for your safety. Any on-board service provided is purely a tertiary bonus.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
I thought it was against FAA regulations or FARs or something like that for the FA to wear headphones / be watching the IFE unless they're on an official break (in which case they would probably be in the crew rest compartment rather than the cabin)...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I thought it was against FAA regulations or FARs or something like that for the FA to wear headphones / be watching the IFE unless they're on an official break (in which case they would probably be in the crew rest compartment rather than the cabin)...
It's not permitted in our contract, well in the LUS contract.

EDIT-

We are only permitted to watch IFE and wear headphones in out break, exactly what SFTNYC said.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Oct 29, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Write to AA about it.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Personally if there is a self service beverage and snack set up I'm more than happy with that. I think I can pour my own beverage without too much issue. And in fact, I'd rather do it myself (I sure wish the ACs had self serve beer and wine). FAs watching a movie on a long haul flight, not maybe the best use of their time but something I would not really have issue with.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Personally if there is a self service beverage and snack set up I'm more than happy with that. I think I can pour my own beverage without too much issue. And in fact, I'd rather do it myself (I sure wish the ACs had self serve beer and wine). FAs watching a movie on a long haul flight, not maybe the best use of their time but something I would not really have issue with.
The self service bar had three options: water, orange juice and milk. I wanted something else.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just go to the galley and look for my own soda.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Seems pretty unacceptable to me.

Did you ring the call button first or did you just go back to the galley? I'm assuming they wouldn't have come, even if you had called...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I just go to the galley and look for my own soda.

a weakness for the classics!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:00 pm

Saw this on the front page of FT... how come I knew this was going to be a US-based airline?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by cmd320
Seems pretty unacceptable to me.

Did you ring the call button first or did you just go back to the galley? I'm assuming they wouldn't have come, even if you had called...
Don't think they're going to notice the call "ping" with headphones on, listening to Terminator: Genisys!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jonsg
Don't think they're going to notice the call "ping" with headphones on, listening to Terminator: Genisys!
Lol
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
You could always just start digging in the carts after waiting a few minutes. Get whatever you want and when they come running back say that you couldn't find them.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
You could always just start digging in the carts after waiting a few minutes. Get whatever you want and when they come running back say that you couldn't find them.
Even better, just grab one of the carts with interesting contents and roll it back to your seat and park it in the aisle creating your own personal snack/drink bar. Then see how long it takes for them to find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.