Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

10/29/2015 email: A message from Doug Parker

Old Oct 29, 15, 9:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*

Just noticed this in my email:

I'm happy to share we are now one airline. All our flights are operating as American Airlines, and the US Airways brand belongs to history.

I want to take a moment to thank you for your continued loyalty as we've worked to become one. Integrating two airlines is no easy task, but today, we're operating a single website and reservations system.

As a valued customer, this means our policies and elite benefits are fully aligned, creating a seamless travel experience for you. You'll notice airport kiosks and signs are all branded American, and all our regional carriers now fly under the American Eagle name.

We've worked hard to build you a better airline, but the work does not end here. We're committed to improving and pushing further down the path to restore American as the greatest airline in the world.

Thank you for flying with us.

Doug Parker
Doug Parker
Chairman & CEO
American Airlines
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:30 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Policies are aligned? Are all pmAA FA's going to start doing a full PDB? I doubt that. Might be worth a reply directly to PAR/D and a cc to ADL/H asking this lol.

PS - didn't get this e-mail (yet).
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
It is officially one airline now...

Dear XXXX XXXX

I'm happy to share we are now one airline. All our flights are operating as American Airlines, and the US Airways brand belongs to history.

I want to take a moment to thank you for your continued loyalty as we've worked to become one. Integrating two airlines is no easy task, but today, we're operating a single website and reservations system.

As a valued customer, this means our policies and elite benefits are fully aligned, creating a seamless travel experience for you. You'll notice airport kiosks and signs are all branded American, and all our regional carriers now fly under the American Eagle name.

We've worked hard to build you a better airline, but the work does not end here. We're committed to improving and pushing further down the path to restore American as the greatest airline in the world.

Thank you for flying with us.

Doug Parker
Chairman & CEO
American Airlines
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Giving Credit When It Is Due...

Yes, it is now one airline and the catastrophies which happened during the DL/NW and UA/CO merger processes have been avoided. October 17, 2015 did not suffer a "Jan 1, 2000" bug (neither did Jan 1, 2000) and things have gone pretty smoothly compared to what happened with the competition. There have been some glitches and rough edges, still are, but on one or two occasions the new management has known how and when to correct the course (Meals in F...).

I have looked at the fine print in the email's links and have not found any impending disaster. Has anyone ?

Let us now see what the new FFP will look like
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult View Post
Let us now see what the new FFP will look like
Most likely it'll be very similar to DL/UA, but hopefully with a sweetener for premium cabin fares (easiest way would be an extra x points per dollar spent for J/F).
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
From a customer perspective, I agree with some of the sentiment above, that is, the transition has been relatively smooth. IMHO

Having just seen an AA CSR yesterday in my office, she made mention that from her perspective, it hasn't been too bad either.

Great stuff to hear!
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't gotten it yet, but its a PR email highlighting the fact that the conversion went near flawlessly, and you have to give kudos to Doug Parker for his willingness to dedicate resources to make sure it happened that way. Now is the purpose also to soften you up for impending changes to the AAdvantage program, maybe?
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Yes got mine a few hours ago - I assume because I am a newly minted Platinum courtesy of a status challenge.
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Now is the purpose also to soften you up for impending changes to the AAdvantage program, maybe?
I'd be surprised if anyone thought there is any other way of softening changes than to have soft changes. We'll see.
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Credit where credit is due, Parker & team have done an exceptional job at the transition.

What's most interesting to me in the email is that he mentions that:
We're committed to improving and pushing further down the path to restore American as the greatest airline in the world.
Smisek at United always had the attitude that United was unequivocally the best. I think this speaks volumes about the differences in management teams.

AAdvantage will devalue for sure - we all know that. It has to. But I am hopeful that management believes AAdvantage as a competitive advantage as opposed to DL management, which obviously views SkyMiles as simply a liability.
Old Oct 29, 15, 1:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult View Post
the catastrophies which happened during the DL/NW and UA/CO merger processes have been avoided
What happened during the DL/NW merger that was so bad/catastrophic? I don't remember anything that awful during their merger, either.
Old Oct 29, 15, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
What happened during the DL/NW merger that was so bad/catastrophic? I don't remember anything that awful during their merger, either.
From those of us who were NW WP Platinums, it was very, very bad. YMMV

Safe Travels
Old Oct 29, 15, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post

...AAdvantage will devalue for sure - we all know that. It has to. But I am hopeful that management believes AAdvantage as a competitive advantage as opposed to DL management, which obviously views SkyMiles as simply a liability.

+++1

Re DL it is not entirely their fault, the same attitude prevails at Korean, Aeroflot, Aeromexico and above all Air France / KLM... And the Chinese members do not have a clue.

It is hard to boost a program when so many of its participants hate it.
Old Oct 29, 15, 3:45 pm

Programs: NPR
I don't think it's related to status. I received it and I have no status, only miles.
Old Oct 29, 15, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
From those of us who were NW WP Platinums, it was very, very bad. YMMV

Safe Travels
In fact, it was very very very very very bad.

Search this Thread