Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: aavacations.com / AA Vacations flight & vacation package questions, discussion

Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
AA Vacations / aavacations.com Flight and Ground Packages
Trust American Airlines to offer you the perfect package at the best price, guaranteed! When you choose to bundle your travel components into one package price we can offer you an unbeatable value by combining our unpublished low rates on flights with specially negotiated rates on hotels, activities and transportation. So, whether you're looking for a quick flight plus hotel weekend getaway or an all-inclusive package complete with flight, hotel, ground transportation and tickets to local attractions, you can rest easy knowing the entire trip is covered by our Lowest Price Guarantee.
Link to AA Vacations site website

FAQ

Q. Do these earn AA EQM Loyalty Points, Award Miles (RDM) and EQD (EQ Dollars in 2017)?

These generally book into discount paid fare buckets, so "Yes" at this time. There are a few promotional offers that do not earn EQM Loyalty Points; these will clearly say so, so read thoroughly. See:

Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Loyalty Points on aa.com (link)

Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partners 2016

and this for the changes affecting Award Miles coming in the latter part of 2016.

Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Q. Can I upgrade these with AA upgrade instruments (e500 "stickers", miles and copay, SWU)? NOTE: As of July 2022, AA no longer issues 500-mile upgrade certificates ("stickers"). Auto-requested complimentary upgrades are now available to all elite status members and one traveling companion. See details at aa.com

Yes. These follow the standard AA upgrade rules.

Q. Can I use AAadvantage Award Miles to "pay" for a vacation?

(Change late 2019) Yes. You can "pay" with money (cards, etc.), AAdvantage miles or a combination of both. Miles may be used to pay for any portion of the vacation package up, and including, all of it. At this time there is no way to distinguish the breakpoint between the land portion and the air portion of the package, except by calling. And even this is a mixed bag.

Q. If I use AAdvantage Aware Miles to pay for part of my vacation, does this impact upgrades or EQM/RDM for the flights?(RDM)?

(Change 2020) AA Vacations agents are confident that using miles will have no impact on EQM/EQD/RDM as the miles are converted to "cash" to pay for the trip, so the AA system sees these as cash paid. This is supposed to apply no matter how much of the trip is paid with miles. Experiences reported here using part miles indicate that all posts as expected in these cases..

Q. So, what kinds of fares are ineligible for earning AA miles?

"Exceptions (aa.com)

There are certain airline ticket types that are not eligible for mileage accrual regardless of the booking class. These include, without limitation, the following:

Q Are there any types of tickets that wont earn award miles?

Yes, tickets that currently do not earn award miles, elite-qualifying miles or elite-qualifying segments will not earn award miles in the future. This includes:

• All tickets issued as AAdvantage awards

• Other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets

• Companion tickets

• Charter flight tickets

• Travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets

• Infant tickets

• Extra seats or items occupying a purchased seat

• Unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares

• Tickets issued subject to special provisions

Q. What about EQM Loyalty Points and Award ("Redeemable") Miles earning later in 2016 after 1 January 2022?

AA has specified a set of "Special Fares", which includes select AA Vacations (where there is a * next to the booking code when looking at the flight details).

Some fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) earn award miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) Loyalty Points (LPs) at a modified rate based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.

Special fares are often purchased through a specialized agent, third party or as part of a package including air transportation and lodging.

Examples:

• Bulk fares

• Cruise fares

• Consolidator fares

• Discounted or inclusive tour packages

• Vacation packages, including select American Airlines Vacations packages. For Vacations, special fares are marked with an asterisk (*) after the booking code in the AAVacations.com booking path,
  • Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying
Note that the Special Fares page also says, "AAdvantage elite member bonuses will be applied in addition to the percentages shown for award miles."

Q. What fare classes do First and Business packages book into?

Typically A for international First, A, R or P domestic F, and I or D international Business.

Q. What if I'm flying on a flight on a partner airline?

AA Vacations most often books into AA "code shares" / AA marketed flights. In that case, you'll earn miles as if flying on American. If it doesn't, you'll earn per the agreement AA has with the partner airline. Start here to look them up.

Q. What advance purchase restrictions are imposed?

Most advance purchase, minimum stay, etc. normally imposed by the airline don't apply; the restrictions are those imposed by AA Vacations. (Detailed Fare Rules for your fare generally do apply, however.)

Q. Are the trips or fares refundable?

Generally not fully refundable. Hotels and ground activities are generally not at all, and air will depend on the fare bucket and detailed rules. AA vacations does offer protection, but hotels etc. may not be included.

"There are two types of protection available: We offer the Cancellation and Change Waiver (Pre-Departure Protection) which allows you to cancel and/or change either the land or air portion of their package without penalty. Trip Protector (Post-Departure protection) from Allianz Global Assistance can provide protection for your trip expenses, your health and your belongings."

A waiver is usually $129 for international travel and $69 for domestic travel. This can also be paid with miles.

Q. What is the shortest time I can book an air-hotel package for?

It appears three nights is the shortest period allowed by aavacations, unless the total duration of the trip is less than three days, then it is length of trip. However, those three nights do not need to be at a single property.

Q. Can I book a ten day package with only three days of prepaid hotel?

Sure. You'll have to call to do so, however.
You can change the dates of the hotel to be different from those of the flights in the "More Search Options" section of the search. You can also book multiple rooms here too, specifying the number of guests per room. I don't think you can book hotel to be in a different city though. A hotel in a different city (or continent, even) can be booked, but must be done over the phone.

Q. Is only one hotel offered?

No. A variety of properties is generally offered, but this will of course affect pricing.

Q. Does the hotel have to be in the destination city?

No. You can book a property in another city if it's offered by AA Vacations.

Q. What happens if I don't use the ground part (hotel, car, etc.)? Will they cancel my return flights?

Nothing. You can use it or forget it. No flight cancellations ensue. See AA Vacations - not checking in at Hotel Some purposely book the cheapest pricing for their trip knowing they're choosing a "throwaway hotel" they won't use.

Though one AA Vacations agent actually said "always book with us and just book the cheapest hotel for 3 days and throw it away", don't you say it's your intent.

Q. Will AA Vacations cause problems for me?

If you disclose your intent to AA Vacations to "throw away" (not stay at) the hotel, they can not sell you the package. So, don't.

Q. Will the hotel cause problems for me?

Not likely; they're paid for a prepaid stay whether you stay or not, as they get to keep the money and have "your" room to sell.

Q. Will I earn points at the hotel? Will they recognize my status?

Many chains don't recognize third party bookings for points or stay credit, but will usually recognize your status. Properties will treat as prepaid booking.

Q. Are there ever deals or promos?

Indeed. There are often sales and promotions; look for them on the site.

Q. What if I want to book open jaw or customize?

Calling can do that. There's a $39 call fee, unless it's not able to be booked online. Others have said you can generally calculate the price of an open jaw itinerary by adding half the price of pricing for vacations to the arrival and departure cities and adding those.

Q. Can I put these on "hold" while I think about it since these include air fare?

No. But: Refund of Air Ticket Portion Within 24 Hours of Purchase

Within 24 hours of booking, you are allowed to cancel your refundable or non-refundable air ticket for a full refund (and no change fees and/or difference in fare) subject to the following rules:

• You must call 800-321-2121 within 24 hours of purchase to cancel the air ticket reservation and request a refund of the air ticket.
  • The reservation must have been booked at least 7 days before scheduled departure.
  • This policy does not apply to hotel or other non-air portions of the package. Standard cancellation policies will apply to all non-air components of the package.
  • Refunds are only issued for tickets booked on aavacations.com or with American Airlines Vacations Reservations.

Q. My AAdvantage credit card earns double Award ("Redeemable") Miles on AA purchases. Will AA Vacations purchases earn 2x miles?

No. What transactions are eligible to earn double AAdvantage miles?

Eligible American Airlines purchases are items billed by American Airlines as the merchant of record booked through American Airlines channels (aa.com, American Airlines Reservations, American Airlines airport, in-flight and city ticket counters). American Airlines tickets purchased through other channels or that are a component of any other cruise or tour package do not earn the additional mile purchase bonuses. Products or services that do not qualify for the additional bonus miles include car rentals, hotel reservations, American Airlines Vacations packages, purchases of American Airlines AAdvantage miles, duty free purchases and or AA Cargo℠
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Updated by JDiver 19 Feb 2016

Print Wikipost

FAQ: aavacations.com / AA Vacations flight & vacation package questions, discussion

Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Just called. Asked the EXP desk to tell the Customer service right in the face it's AAV package. Customer Service didn't budget, just reiterated it's a standard procedure for review if the original posting was wrong.

Pathetic, simply pathetic.
Yeah, that does blow.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by brp
Yeah, that does blow.

Cheers.
Got the correct distance-based miles posted on Monday, but I have no idea why AA Customer Service had absolutely no power over this such a thing.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I canceled my trip due to hurricane Irma last month but I didn't request a refund, does anybody know is I can use that credit to pay the airfare portion of an AA Vacation package?, TIA.

Fed
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Answering my own question, I can confirm that AAVacation can use any credit that you have with AA. They asked for my PNR or e-Ticket and after calling AA CS, they were able to apply the credit to my AAVacation package (for the airfare cost of course).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:54 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
AA Vacation package hotel pricing note:
For a jfk-zrh package, the hotel I chose gives lots of options, for one of these if I pay $0.17 more/night I get breakfast included and there is NO "hotel non-cancellable" disclaimer...nice "deal" IMHO.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Trouble finding * flights on AAVacations?

I was playing around a bit today SFO-OSL/ARN in Jan/Feb and SFO-CDG in May and didn't see any * flights. Anything change?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by nrr
AA Vacation package hotel pricing note:
For a jfk-zrh package, the hotel I chose gives lots of options, for one of these if I pay $0.17 more/night I get breakfast included and there is NO "hotel non-cancellable" disclaimer...nice "deal" IMHO.
Did you go through to the booking page? I noticed this on some bookings I was looking at and it was nice until I tried to go to the booking page and it then said the rate was no longer available or something along those lines so couldnt actually book it.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Your reading of the discussion on this is correct. * must be present for it to post as distance. See AA .com for the full explanation.
Do all segments have to have an '*'?
I have 2 out of 4 segments marked as such for an upcoming trip.
Anyone have data points in this situation?

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:57 am

To partially answer my own question

Originally Posted by fanger
I was playing around a bit today SFO-OSL/ARN in Jan/Feb and SFO-CDG in May and didn't see any * flights. Anything change?
There seems to be variability in availability- for SFO-ARN, SFO-LON and SFO-CDG, I can see * flights through March, but not April or May. For ATH, VIE and BUD, I can still see them in May. In playing around with it over the past day or two, I think the month has moved around a bit; I think yesterday I was seeing availability in April for some of the more restrictive destinations. Basically all the Asia searches I've tried show * flights.

Not sure what the criteria or justification for this is.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:16 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Can you use AA Vacations from Europe?

If you try to book an AA Vacations package originating in Europe, you get this error message:
American Airlines Vacations does not offer vacation packages from the departure city you have entered. For vacation packages that include a flight, you must depart from a city within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Yet AA Vacations offers some incredible bargain prices, especially on premium cabins.

Would this strategy work?
  1. Book a package from the USA to Europe.
  2. Buy the extra coverage which lets you change your dates for free.
  3. Change the Outbound Date to be _after_ the Return Date. (Keep the Return Date as is.)

Is it possible?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EP
No. But good try!

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
If you try to book an AA Vacations package originating in Europe, you get this error message:

Yet AA Vacations offers some incredible bargain prices, especially on premium cabins.

3. Change the Outbound Date to be _after_ the Return Date. (Keep the Return Date as is.)

Is it possible?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder

Is it possible?
That definitely won't work.

I'd look at BA Vacations instead. Those fares are often just as good as AA Vacations, although I have no idea if that's also true ex-Europe.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:35 am

Additional * flight blind spot; Also, Hotel Status Recognition? and Refundable rooms?

One route that never comes up with * flights is my new favorite OAK-LGW. SFO-LHR on the other hand comes up routinely as a special fare. So sad, too bad.

What are peoples' experiences with hotel status recognition on purchases through AAVacations? I recently booked a Hilton through BA Vacations- although I wasn't expecting it, I did get status recognition (Gold) on the stay (no points or stay credit). I had to call in to HHonors to attach my number, though.

Both websites (AAVacations and BA Holidays) seem to me to act like the pass-through website that I use at work, (i.e. they offer multiple room rates, including standard refundable), and I always get points through the work website (CWT).

1. Has anyone gotten status recognition through Hilton, Starwood, or Marriott using AA Vacations?
2. Was my recent recognition experience unusual?
3. If I book a refundable rate as part of the package, would I have gotten recognition from the hotel?
4. Has anyone booked a refundable rate as part of the package and then canceled it? Did you get special fare-based mileage and EQD?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EP
All of ur questions are answered by reading the wiki and the forum!!!! Nothing new that u are asking.

Originally Posted by fanger
One route that never comes up with * flights is my new favorite OAK-LGW. SFO-LHR on the other hand comes up routinely as a special fare. So sad, too bad.

What are peoples' experiences with hotel status recognition on purchases through AAVacations? I recently booked a Hilton through BA Vacations- although I wasn't expecting it, I did get status recognition (Gold) on the stay (no points or stay credit). I had to call in to HHonors to attach my number, though.

Both websites (AAVacations and BA Holidays) seem to me to act like the pass-through website that I use at work, (i.e. they offer multiple room rates, including standard refundable), and I always get points through the work website (CWT).

1. Has anyone gotten status recognition through Hilton, Starwood, or Marriott using AA Vacations?
2. Was my recent recognition experience unusual?
3. If I book a refundable rate as part of the package, would I have gotten recognition from the hotel?
4. Has anyone booked a refundable rate as part of the package and then canceled it? Did you get special fare-based mileage and EQD?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Did you go through to the booking page? I noticed this on some bookings I was looking at and it was nice until I tried to go to the booking page and it then said the rate was no longer available or something along those lines so couldnt actually book it.
I DID book one of these. The breakfast is listed, but I'm not 100% if the non-refundable disclaimer has been removed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.