Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Checked and Cabin Animal / Pet Policies and Requirements

NOTE: This is the new thread for checked and carry-on animals / pets as they are permitted by American Airlines. It is strictly for bona fide questions, replies and relevant discussion of pets and animals in-cabin and checked as animal cargo.

Discussions relating to reactions to in-cabin animals, service or support animals or their legitimacy, purpose, false labeling, etc. are considered dilatory to this topic and will be summarily deleted. There are other, more appropriate fora for those discussions.

Thank you for your understanding.

/American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator team
Link to aa.com Traveling with pets page

For discussion regarding AA policies regarding assistance, psychiatric or emotional support animals, please see AA Policy Regarding Service, Psychiatric and Emotional Support Animals here on FT.

Link to U S Department of Transportation Service Animal Guidance (and downloadable PDF)

In 1990, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) promulgated the official regulations implementing the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). Link to downloadable PDF covering service animals.

For general information about travel with pets, please see the Link to FlyerTalk "Travel with Pets" forum .

Link to thread on A321T First class "Cuddle Class" pet cabin / kennel.

Which destinations allow travel with pets?

You can travel with a pet on most flights not longer than 12 hours or flights to/from:*
  • Within the 48 contiguous United States
  • The U.S. and Canada
  • Alaska
  • Central America**
  • Mexico
  • Puerto Rico
  • St. Croix
  • St. Thomas
*12 hours includes the time it takes to clear customs at the arrival city.

(Note: There are additional special restrictions that may apply when traveling with pets - please refer to the aa.com page linked to above. Some destinations absolutely prohibit the carriage of pets on AA, others have significant restrictions. Failure to observe these could result in up to confiscation and destruction of your pet in some countries. - JD)
Carry on pets $125.00 per pet

When traveling on an American Airlines flight, you can bring one pet kennel as your carry-on bag if:
  • You pay the carry-on pet charge
  • Your pet is at least 8 weeks old
  • Your pet stays in their kennel and under the seat in front of you for the entire flight
If all your travel is on American Airlines we can only accept up to 7 kennels each flight (not including service animals). When traveling on an American Eagle flight, we can accept up to 5 kennels per flight (with a maximum of 1 in first class). You’ll need to contact Reservations to make arrangements in advance.

Guidelines for carry-on pets

When carrying on your pet, you’ll need to make sure that they can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in their kennel. Non-collapsible kennels can be a maximum of 19in x 13in x 9in (see next section).

Soft-sided collapsible kennels such as Sherpa bags can be larger if they're made of water-repellant, padded or the have nylon have mesh ventilation on 2 or more sides.
*American Airlines assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.
Underseat stowage issues

A number of aircraft have limitations not revealed on aa.com. For example,
  • Some newer Business configurations may have seats that are not FAA STC'd to allow under seat stowage throughout the flight
  • Some aisle or window seats have much narrower under seat stowage
  • Some seats may be obstructed by power or/and A/V distribution boxes
  • The MiQ seats used in F/J on many Oasis refitted A20321 &. 738, as well as on A321neo and 737 MAX 8 aircraft, have very limited under seat stowage
  • Some smaller regional carriers may have restricted under seat stowage areas
* see http://www.dogjaunt.com/posts/catego...-measurements/ for under seat stowage measurements and other information

Checked pets

Special notice:

Checked pets cannot travel on A321S, A321H, A320, A319 aircraft and all flights operated by... regional partner Air Wisconsin.

Seasonal bans on cargo-checked pets may exist, e.g. Phoenix and Palm Springs in summer months.

Several aircraft bar cabin pets - altogether or more likely in Business of First. Be sure to read the page on aa.com linked to near the top of this Wikipost thoroughly.
You can travel with up to 2 checked pets that are at least 8 weeks old. Please note that as capacity is limited, we accept checked pets on a first-come basis. When checking a pet, you’ll need to:
  • Contact Reservations at least 48 hours prior to travel
  • Check in at the ticket counter
  • Allow extra check-in time (can't check pets more than 4 hours before your flight)
  • Complete a checklist with an agent
  • Provide a health certificate
To ensure the health and safety of your pet, the health certificate you provide must be issued by a vet within:
  • 10 days of your travel
  • 60 days of your return (travel on the same ticket)
  • 10 days of your return (travel on a separate ticket)
Link to June 2016 post indicating "AA" personnel at PHL (and possibly elsewhere then) are unfamiliar with these AA policies and can torpedo your best laid trip plans if you're checking or through-checking an animal.

Link to thread about A321T Business seat issues with carry-on animals.

Updated 22 Jun 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Stingy" is not the right term. Rather, it is whether AA requires its employees to enforce its rules.

Hopefully, in light of UA's misfortunes with dead dogs and even rabbits, the rules are strictly enforced. Hopefully you would want to be certain of this yourself.
boss315 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Hat's off to OP

No fan of animals on planes, but kudo's to OP for playing the game by the rules.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by Often1
"Stingy" is not the right term. Rather, it is whether AA requires its employees to enforce its rules.

Hopefully, in light of UA's misfortunes with dead dogs and even rabbits, the rules are strictly enforced. Hopefully you would want to be certain of this yourself.

Stingy is the right term - as I said my dog can turn around in his carrier but not without touching the sides so I am wondering to what degree this is enforced at check in.

Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by nikbruno

Stingy is the right term - as I said my dog can turn around in his carrier but not without touching the sides so I am wondering to what degree this is enforced at check in.

I only have limited experience with AA and pets, but I might as well share --- When I moved to/from Hawaii with my two cats, the carriers I thought may be too small considering AA's wording. Similar to what you said, they can move around, stand, but there wasn't really a ton of space. AA did a quick visual check, but didn't pull a tape measure or ask the cats to do turnaround. (Note, the cats were transported as cargo a day before my flights, not at a check in desk -- note that Hawaii's laws make transporting pets a very involved process, and we had to follow all sorts of weather rules/routing rules to ensure the cats wouldn't die in the heat on a tarmac somewhere). From what I have noticed, dogs in the cabin are usually in very small carriers as well.

If the dog isn't constricted (i.e. it can move around) like you say, and you are making an honest attempt at obeying the rules and paying the fees, I doubt you will run into issues.
KBMIFlyer, miles4CDG and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I only have limited experience with AA and pets, but I might as well share --- When I moved to/from Hawaii with my two cats, the carriers I thought may be too small considering AA's wording. Similar to what you said, they can move around, stand, but there wasn't really a ton of space. AA did a quick visual check, but didn't pull a tape measure or ask the cats to do turnaround. (Note, the cats were transported as cargo a day before my flights, not at a check in desk -- note that Hawaii's laws make transporting pets a very involved process, and we had to follow all sorts of weather rules/routing rules to ensure the cats wouldn't die in the heat on a tarmac somewhere). From what I have noticed, dogs in the cabin are usually in very small carriers as well.

If the dog isn't constricted (i.e. it can move around) like you say, and you are making an honest attempt at obeying the rules and paying the fees, I doubt you will run into issues.
I appreciate you sharing your experience ! This has been my own experience with UA - a cursory visual check of the carrier then off we go. I don’t envision any issues but just wanted to see if others like yourself had any experience. Thank you
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
where are you getting the "animal must be able to turn around without touching the sides of carrier" thing ? I'm not seeing that anywhere on AA.com. If the rule is that your dog must be able to stand and turn around, and your dog can stand and turn around, then I"m missing what the problem here is.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
where are you getting the "animal must be able to turn around without touching the sides of carrier" thing ?
On the AA Traveling with Pets page.

Kennel guidelines for carry-on pets

We assume no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets. These rules are enforced:

Pets must be able to stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in their kennel (without touching any side or the top of the container)

etc.
floresnw likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPRich
Does "without touching" modify only the lie down part or apply also to stand up and turn around? I would argue the former in the absence of the word "all" right after the first parenthesis.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: aa plat
i fly with my dog all the time. he's a 10# cairn terrier mix. my experience has been that they weigh the pet in its kennel and may or may not do a visual inspection. if they do, it's cursory at most. i don't recall that they ever checked if he touched the sides of his kennel. happy flying.
nikbruno and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by aastl
i fly with my dog all the time. he's a 10# cairn terrier mix. my experience has been that they weigh the pet in its kennel and may or may not do a visual inspection. if they do, it's cursory at most. i don't recall that they ever checked if he touched the sides of his kennel. happy flying.
It sounds like the guidelines are there to allow the employees to deny egregious cases (someone stuffing their poor animal into a clearly undersized carrier and/or playing the "he didn't fit so I had to take him out" card).

They're almost certainly not going to break out a set of calipers and meticulously measure the pet's clearance in all sitting and standing positions. If a reasonable person would agree that the animal "fits" into the carrier, I think OP is fine.
nikbruno and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nikbruno
I typically fly UA with my 8lb yorkie in his carrier but need to fly AA on this one ORD-JFK. The AA rules seem markedly different regarding standing up and turning around in the carrier - mine can do both but not without slightly touching the sides so I’m wondering to what degree this is enforced? I’ve probably flown him 6x round trip on UA without issue. This is not a service animal so will be paying the $125 fee at the airport. Thank you
Be sure to read the Wikipost ar the top of the page about other, less often mentioned restrictions (such as aircraft that bar in-cabin pets). We have merged your query into the (strictly moderated) master thread.

Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:42 pm

I checked the WIKI and did not see this answered...

If I book a flight and add a pet, then cancel in under 24-hours what happens to the money paid for the pet fee? I know the flight can be canceled with no penalty, under 24-hours. Just not sure about the extra fee.

Thanks for any info.

TD
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
As of October 2018, the fee was not collected until check-in. Calling the reservations desk in advance will allocate one of the capacity-controlled spots to your pet.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The latest kennel rules state that "kennels can’t exceed the under seat dimensions of any aircraft included in your journey." Is there some place that lists the under-seat dimensions by aircraft type?

I have historically travelled with a medium sherpa carrier that easily fits underneath the seat on aircraft like 738, 32B, E75, etc. I have bought a large sherpa carrier that is .75 inches wider and 1 inch taller, and my dog actually enjoys sitting in it. It is collapsible, so it doesn't have to meet the hard under-seat requirements, but having a list of dimensions by aircraft would be helpful.

In any case, I'll probably take the carrier alone without my dog as a personal item just to see how it fits, and limit my travel on larger aircraft such as the 738 or 32B whenever I travel with my dog.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
The latest kennel rules state that "kennels can’t exceed the under seat dimensions of any aircraft included in your journey." Is there some place that lists the under-seat dimensions by aircraft type?

I have historically travelled with a medium sherpa carrier that easily fits underneath the seat on aircraft like 738, 32B, E75, etc. I have bought a large sherpa carrier that is .75 inches wider and 1 inch taller, and my dog actually enjoys sitting in it. It is collapsible, so it doesn't have to meet the hard under-seat requirements, but having a list of dimensions by aircraft would be helpful.

In any case, I'll probably take the carrier alone without my dog as a personal item just to see how it fits, and limit my travel on larger aircraft such as the 738 or 32B whenever I travel with my dog.
AA states which aircraft prohibits in cabin animals. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp

With the 787 MAX, 32Q and project Oasis retrofits all using the MiQ seats with very limited underwear stowage in First, I expect the narrow bodied aircraft prohibiting under seat carriers in F will proliferate.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.