Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Checked and Cabin Animal / Pet Policies and Requirements

NOTE: This is the new thread for checked and carry-on animals / pets as they are permitted by American Airlines. It is strictly for bona fide questions, replies and relevant discussion of pets and animals in-cabin and checked as animal cargo.

Discussions relating to reactions to in-cabin animals, service or support animals or their legitimacy, purpose, false labeling, etc. are considered dilatory to this topic and will be summarily deleted. There are other, more appropriate fora for those discussions.

Thank you for your understanding.

/American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator team
Link to aa.com Traveling with pets page

For discussion regarding AA policies regarding assistance, psychiatric or emotional support animals, please see AA Policy Regarding Service, Psychiatric and Emotional Support Animals here on FT.

Link to U S Department of Transportation Service Animal Guidance (and downloadable PDF)

In 1990, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) promulgated the official regulations implementing the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). Link to downloadable PDF covering service animals.

For general information about travel with pets, please see the Link to FlyerTalk "Travel with Pets" forum .

Link to thread on A321T First class "Cuddle Class" pet cabin / kennel.

Which destinations allow travel with pets?

You can travel with a pet on most flights not longer than 12 hours or flights to/from:*
  • Within the 48 contiguous United States
  • The U.S. and Canada
  • Alaska
  • Central America**
  • Mexico
  • Puerto Rico
  • St. Croix
  • St. Thomas
*12 hours includes the time it takes to clear customs at the arrival city.

(Note: There are additional special restrictions that may apply when traveling with pets - please refer to the aa.com page linked to above. Some destinations absolutely prohibit the carriage of pets on AA, others have significant restrictions. Failure to observe these could result in up to confiscation and destruction of your pet in some countries. - JD)
Carry on pets $125.00 per pet

When traveling on an American Airlines flight, you can bring one pet kennel as your carry-on bag if:
  • You pay the carry-on pet charge
  • Your pet is at least 8 weeks old
  • Your pet stays in their kennel and under the seat in front of you for the entire flight
If all your travel is on American Airlines we can only accept up to 7 kennels each flight (not including service animals). When traveling on an American Eagle flight, we can accept up to 5 kennels per flight (with a maximum of 1 in first class). You’ll need to contact Reservations to make arrangements in advance.

Guidelines for carry-on pets

When carrying on your pet, you’ll need to make sure that they can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in their kennel. Non-collapsible kennels can be a maximum of 19in x 13in x 9in (see next section).

Soft-sided collapsible kennels such as Sherpa bags can be larger if they're made of water-repellant, padded or the have nylon have mesh ventilation on 2 or more sides.
*American Airlines assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.
Underseat stowage issues

A number of aircraft have limitations not revealed on aa.com. For example,
  • Some newer Business configurations may have seats that are not FAA STC'd to allow under seat stowage throughout the flight
  • Some aisle or window seats have much narrower under seat stowage
  • Some seats may be obstructed by power or/and A/V distribution boxes
  • The MiQ seats used in F/J on many Oasis refitted A20321 &. 738, as well as on A321neo and 737 MAX 8 aircraft, have very limited under seat stowage
  • Some smaller regional carriers may have restricted under seat stowage areas
* see http://www.dogjaunt.com/posts/catego...-measurements/ for under seat stowage measurements and other information

Checked pets

Special notice:

Checked pets cannot travel on A321S, A321H, A320, A319 aircraft and all flights operated by... regional partner Air Wisconsin.

Seasonal bans on cargo-checked pets may exist, e.g. Phoenix and Palm Springs in summer months.

Several aircraft bar cabin pets - altogether or more likely in Business of First. Be sure to read the page on aa.com linked to near the top of this Wikipost thoroughly.
You can travel with up to 2 checked pets that are at least 8 weeks old. Please note that as capacity is limited, we accept checked pets on a first-come basis. When checking a pet, you’ll need to:
  • Contact Reservations at least 48 hours prior to travel
  • Check in at the ticket counter
  • Allow extra check-in time (can't check pets more than 4 hours before your flight)
  • Complete a checklist with an agent
  • Provide a health certificate
To ensure the health and safety of your pet, the health certificate you provide must be issued by a vet within:
  • 10 days of your travel
  • 60 days of your return (travel on the same ticket)
  • 10 days of your return (travel on a separate ticket)
Link to June 2016 post indicating "AA" personnel at PHL (and possibly elsewhere then) are unfamiliar with these AA policies and can torpedo your best laid trip plans if you're checking or through-checking an animal.

Link to thread about A321T Business seat issues with carry-on animals.

Updated 22 Jun 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Old May 27, 2017, 8:28 pm

I have seen posts on the internet that on American if you are carrying on a pet, you can also take either your carry-on or your personal item. But American’s language: “When traveling on an American Airlines flight, you can bring one pet kennel as your carry-on bag” could imply that you can only bring the small personal item and not a carry-on bag.

The language “you can bring one pet kennel as your carry-on bag” also implies you should not be charged the $125 fee because there is no charge for the carry-on. The policy overall could be more clearly written.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:25 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I need to transport two small (~ 5 lb) well-behaved Chihuahuas one-way to England. Will probably fly domestic to ORD (< 350 miles), then ORD-LHR. The two puppies fit easily in one pet carrier.

I'm hoping someone who has done this can supply hints and pointers. To start, I'm not at all sure if AA allows critters to be transported to LHR. AA.com is a bit vague. It's tempting to just take Air Canada, whom I've never flown, but whose website says that definitely, YES, critters can be transported to England.

Other worries are: whether cabin or cargo is better. Whether I must fly in coach. Whether it's one $125 fee because it's just one container. Whether I can bring a "personal item" in addition to the pet carrier.

I'm EXP if it matters.

It would be a shame to get all the way to ORD (or worse, LHR) and then not be allowed to continue due of some procedural omission. If anyone has actually transported dogs to England, your esteemed advice is appreciated.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
From aa.com:
Destination restrictions

There are additional special restrictions that may apply when traveling with pets to/from:**
Transatlantic

Carry-on pets

You cannot travel with a carry-on pet when traveling transatlantic.

Checked pets

When traveling to the European Union (EU) with a checked pet, you’ll be responsible for fulfilling all entry requirements. Your pet must have a tattoo or implanted microchip that matches the identification number on their vaccination card.

Additional restrictions

Apart from service animals, you can't travel with a checked pet to the U.K. or Ireland, but you can transport dogs and cats to London (LHR) and Manchester (MAN) via American Airlines Cargo.

Ship with American Airlines Cargo
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I need to transport two small (~ 5 lb) well-behaved Chihuahuas one-way to England. Will probably fly domestic to ORD (< 350 miles), then ORD-LHR. The two puppies fit easily in one pet carrier.

I'm hoping someone who has done this can supply hints and pointers. To start, I'm not at all sure if AA allows critters to be transported to LHR. AA.com is a bit vague. It's tempting to just take Air Canada, whom I've never flown, but whose website says that definitely, YES, critters can be transported to England.

Other worries are: whether cabin or cargo is better. Whether I must fly in coach. Whether it's one $125 fee because it's just one container. Whether I can bring a "personal item" in addition to the pet carrier.

I'm EXP if it matters.

It would be a shame to get all the way to ORD (or worse, LHR) and then not be
allowed to continue due of some procedural omission. If anyone has actually transported dogs to England, your esteemed advice is appreciated.
Have you thought of taking Cunard Line's Queen Mary 2 instead of flying? They love pets. This is from their web site:
Are dogs welcome?
Queen Mary 2’s kennel programme is available on all Transatlantic Crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction, and is managed by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship’s 12 spacious kennels. Travelling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack. The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling guests to spend significant time with their pets. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on availability. Contact Cunard for fees, details and additional requirements. All animals must be in compliance with the Pets Travel Scheme and in possession of a pet passport. To make kennel arrangements call (844) 338-6658.

All the best to you and your lovely lovely puppies! / Steve
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:26 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Thanks for great suggestion! Seriously considering it!

I learned there is a Travel with Pets forum here on FT. Who knew? This thread was the most useful w.r.t. bringing pets from US to UK.

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Have you thought of taking Cunard Line's Queen Mary 2 instead of flying? They love pets. This is from their web site:
Are dogs welcome?
Queen Mary 2’s kennel programme is available on all Transatlantic Crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction, and is managed by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship’s 12 spacious kennels. Travelling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack. The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling guests to spend significant time with their pets. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on availability. Contact Cunard for fees, details and additional requirements. All animals must be in compliance with the Pets Travel Scheme and in possession of a pet passport. To make kennel arrangements call (844) 338-6658.

All the best to you and your lovely lovely puppies! / Steve
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Does anyone have any experience/know the rules regarding same day standby with a carryon pet?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by nwngeek212
Does anyone have any experience/know the rules regarding same day standby with a carryon pet?
I've recently researched this topic thoroughly.

Standby is difficult because there are limits on the total number of pets on a particular aircraft. So, in addition to clearing the standby list, your new flight also needs to have pet capacity remaining. Stand-by can be done. It's just harder with in-cabin pets.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
That page may say that you cannot do it, but I have twice travelled from LAX-LHR with a dog (and owner) in the seat in front of me. One of them was a good size dog (about 50lbs I would guess), but he was in Business class on the 777W! But that is a long flight for a dog and its bladder

I presume that the dog was somehow a registered therapy dog in each case, but one owner also told me that she does the return journey with the dog every three months – she and her husband lived between London and LA and had dogs in each place, but this one special dog went back and forth with them every time.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I presume that the dog was somehow a registered therapy dog in each case, but one owner also told me that she does the return journey with the dog every three months – she and her husband lived between London and LA and had dogs in each place, but this one special dog went back and forth with them every time.
As carryon pets must be small enough to fit in a small carrier (19 x 13 x 9 max) that fits under the seat in front of the passenger, the 50 pound dog was clearly a service animal or ESA, not just a pet.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
That page may say that you cannot do it, but I have twice travelled from LAX-LHR with a dog (and owner) in the seat in front of me.
If it's a flight to the U.K. and the dog is in the cabin, then it is a registered service animal. All other animals (even ESA) are in the cargo hold.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:11 pm

Exclamation Flying from DFW to CDG (Paris)

Hi! I currently have a reservation with AA to fly out of DFW direct to CDG in Paris in a little over two weeks. I have been researching so much...I just want to know my baby will be treated well! Can anyone tell me how they actually treat the animals? I’ve already got the vet appointment lined up for her health check and work test...I’m doing everything by the book. Maggie will be flying as checked baggage because she is too big for the cabin.. I know there’s a chance AA will lose her reservation from what I’ve read...and they “couldn’t” give me any sort of reservation number...but I got the last help number person to at least give me the time stamp and date of when it was entered into their system that I will have a checked pet traveling with me.. I’m hoping all goes well...but can anyone reassure me?? I know from working in the travel industry that a lot of comments and reviews come from unhappy customers...but a lot of what I’m seeing doesn’t apply to me and Maggs. We’re doing everything right. Just going to Paris to visit my Husband (her Daddy) because he had to go back there in December.. Someone please share their experience that was good so I know there’s some hope! 😅
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Katy Colleen Pascoe
Hi! I currently have a reservation with AA to fly out of DFW direct to CDG in Paris in a little over two weeks. I have been researching so much...I just want to know my baby will be treated well! Can anyone tell me how they actually treat the animals? I’ve already got the vet appointment lined up for her health check and work test...I’m doing everything by the book. Maggie will be flying as checked baggage because she is too big for the cabin.. I know there’s a chance AA will lose her reservation from what I’ve read...and they “couldn’t” give me any sort of reservation number...but I got the last help number person to at least give me the time stamp and date of when it was entered into their system that I will have a checked pet traveling with me.. I’m hoping all goes well...but can anyone reassure me?? I know from working in the travel industry that a lot of comments and reviews come from unhappy customers...but a lot of what I’m seeing doesn’t apply to me and Maggs. We’re doing everything right. Just going to Paris to visit my Husband (her Daddy) because he had to go back there in December.. Someone please share their experience that was good so I know there’s some hope! 😅
In December I traveled from Des Moines to London with four pets as cargo: two cats and two chihuahua puppies. While we were worried sick about them, and everything seemed to take far longer than it should, etc, the net result is that they made it through the travel just fine. Pet travel is its own industry nowadays, with lots of technology and special care taken.
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: CO
How stingy is AA with their in cabin pet policy?

I typically fly UA with my 8lb yorkie in his carrier but need to fly AA on this one ORD-JFK. The AA rules seem markedly different regarding standing up and turning around in the carrier - mine can do both but not without slightly touching the sides so I’m wondering to what degree this is enforced? I’ve probably flown him 6x round trip on UA without issue. This is not a service animal so will be paying the $125 fee at the airport. Thank you
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Not stingy enough.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Not stingy enough.
That was my first thought as well (along with wondering how far off topic this thread had gone after such a short time).

However, we need to give credit to the OP, they are doing this the right way (in a carrier, paid fee) and not trying to pass it off as a potentially bogus ESA to get around the rules and fee.
nancypants and seigex like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.