Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Checked and Cabin Animal / Pet Policies and Requirements

NOTE: This is the new thread for checked and carry-on animals / pets as they are permitted by American Airlines. It is strictly for bona fide questions, replies and relevant discussion of pets and animals in-cabin and checked as animal cargo.

Discussions relating to reactions to in-cabin animals, service or support animals or their legitimacy, purpose, false labeling, etc. are considered dilatory to this topic and will be summarily deleted. There are other, more appropriate fora for those discussions.

Thank you for your understanding.

/American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator team
Link to aa.com Traveling with pets page

For discussion regarding AA policies regarding assistance, psychiatric or emotional support animals, please see AA Policy Regarding Service, Psychiatric and Emotional Support Animals here on FT.

Link to U S Department of Transportation Service Animal Guidance (and downloadable PDF)

In 1990, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) promulgated the official regulations implementing the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). Link to downloadable PDF covering service animals.

For general information about travel with pets, please see the Link to FlyerTalk "Travel with Pets" forum .

Link to thread on A321T First class "Cuddle Class" pet cabin / kennel.

Which destinations allow travel with pets?

You can travel with a pet on most flights not longer than 12 hours or flights to/from:*
  • Within the 48 contiguous United States
  • The U.S. and Canada
  • Alaska
  • Central America**
  • Mexico
  • Puerto Rico
  • St. Croix
  • St. Thomas
*12 hours includes the time it takes to clear customs at the arrival city.

(Note: There are additional special restrictions that may apply when traveling with pets - please refer to the aa.com page linked to above. Some destinations absolutely prohibit the carriage of pets on AA, others have significant restrictions. Failure to observe these could result in up to confiscation and destruction of your pet in some countries. - JD)
Carry on pets $125.00 per pet

When traveling on an American Airlines flight, you can bring one pet kennel as your carry-on bag if:
  • You pay the carry-on pet charge
  • Your pet is at least 8 weeks old
  • Your pet stays in their kennel and under the seat in front of you for the entire flight
If all your travel is on American Airlines we can only accept up to 7 kennels each flight (not including service animals). When traveling on an American Eagle flight, we can accept up to 5 kennels per flight (with a maximum of 1 in first class). You’ll need to contact Reservations to make arrangements in advance.

Guidelines for carry-on pets

When carrying on your pet, you’ll need to make sure that they can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in their kennel. Non-collapsible kennels can be a maximum of 19in x 13in x 9in (see next section).

Soft-sided collapsible kennels such as Sherpa bags can be larger if they're made of water-repellant, padded or the have nylon have mesh ventilation on 2 or more sides.
*American Airlines assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.
Underseat stowage issues

A number of aircraft have limitations not revealed on aa.com. For example,
  • Some newer Business configurations may have seats that are not FAA STC'd to allow under seat stowage throughout the flight
  • Some aisle or window seats have much narrower under seat stowage
  • Some seats may be obstructed by power or/and A/V distribution boxes
  • The MiQ seats used in F/J on many Oasis refitted A20321 &. 738, as well as on A321neo and 737 MAX 8 aircraft, have very limited under seat stowage
  • Some smaller regional carriers may have restricted under seat stowage areas
* see http://www.dogjaunt.com/posts/catego...-measurements/ for under seat stowage measurements and other information

Checked pets

Special notice:

Checked pets cannot travel on A321S, A321H, A320, A319 aircraft and all flights operated by... regional partner Air Wisconsin.

Seasonal bans on cargo-checked pets may exist, e.g. Phoenix and Palm Springs in summer months.

Several aircraft bar cabin pets - altogether or more likely in Business of First. Be sure to read the page on aa.com linked to near the top of this Wikipost thoroughly.
You can travel with up to 2 checked pets that are at least 8 weeks old. Please note that as capacity is limited, we accept checked pets on a first-come basis. When checking a pet, you’ll need to:
  • Contact Reservations at least 48 hours prior to travel
  • Check in at the ticket counter
  • Allow extra check-in time (can't check pets more than 4 hours before your flight)
  • Complete a checklist with an agent
  • Provide a health certificate
To ensure the health and safety of your pet, the health certificate you provide must be issued by a vet within:
  • 10 days of your travel
  • 60 days of your return (travel on the same ticket)
  • 10 days of your return (travel on a separate ticket)
Link to June 2016 post indicating "AA" personnel at PHL (and possibly elsewhere then) are unfamiliar with these AA policies and can torpedo your best laid trip plans if you're checking or through-checking an animal.

Link to thread about A321T Business seat issues with carry-on animals.

Updated 22 Jun 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Four agents, four stories. At least three made crAAp up and didn't bother looking up policy.

With the Extra Seat I doubt the FA would enforce which seat the cat resides in front of.

A new low may have been reached!
scratch my idea of stopping by the airport to ask... it's kind pointless
unless the agent that I ask is on duty on the of the flights.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Four agents, four stories. At least three made crAAp up and didn't bother looking up policy.

With the Extra Seat I doubt the FA would enforce which seat the cat resides in front of.

A new low may have been reached!
update:

no, that was not a new low.

This is the new low: AA emailed back and stated that even if she pays for
an extras seat(with real money, not miles) for the cat in a small cat carrier
under the seat in front of the purchased empty seat, she will still have to
pay the pet fee of $250.

Am I the only one who thinks that's wrong? Where is AA's common sense?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:46 pm

I am looking for seating recommendations for in-cabin under-seat pet stowage (i.e. maximum space) on:

A321T in J: from what I've read, anything but a bulkhead should be fine. Perhaps opt for a window seat, to guarantee that the pet carrier won't disturb/block anyone's exit?
A321 or A320 in F: anything but an exit row seat?
CRJ-900 in Y or F: anything but an exit row seat?

Any recommendations on IFE boxes, or aisle/window seats to avoid in Y is appreciated. I looked at http://www.dogjaunt.com/posts/catego...-measurements/ but found very few posts for American, and none for the class/planes that I'll be flying. I also saw http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...pet-space.html with a bad experience on the A321 in J.

All advice and feedback appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:01 am

I have a LAX-JFK booking in F on the A321T with an accompanying in-cabin pet reservation. The F cabin on that plane has a dedicated pet storage area at the front of the cabin (see: http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/a...ss-pet-cabins/) specifically because pets aren't allowed under the front of the seat for take-off/landing.

Despite this special cabin, AA won't let me assign a bulkhead seat (i.e. 1A / 1F), claiming bulkhead seats aren't allowed with pet reservations. Given the special setup of this plane, I'd rather be closer to the pet storage area. Any way around this policy?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
I have a LAX-JFK booking in F on the A321T with an accompanying in-cabin pet reservation. The F cabin on that plane has a dedicated pet storage area at the front of the cabin (see: http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/a...ss-pet-cabins/) specifically because pets aren't allowed under the front of the seat for take-off/landing.

Despite this special cabin, AA won't let me assign a bulkhead seat (i.e. 1A / 1F), claiming bulkhead seats aren't allowed with pet reservations. Given the special setup of this plane, I'd rather be closer to the pet storage area. Any way around this policy?
I'd say HUCA, as I have seen pet owners in 1A and 1F.

Barring that, you canalways ask fellow passengers to switch seats - no disadvantaged seat in the F cabin I can think of other than if someone wished to not sit in the last row of F.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
update:

no, that was not a new low.

This is the new low: AA emailed back and stated that even if she pays for
an extras seat(with real money, not miles) for the cat in a small cat carrier
under the seat in front of the purchased empty seat, she will still have to
pay the pet fee of $250.

Am I the only one who thinks that's wrong? Where is AA's common sense?
Make it a emotional service pet. Go to a doctor and ask for a note. Does she feel anxiety when flying? does her pet give her comfort? Its a option. You will have to pay the doctor visit fee.
I agree the fee's they charge are ridiculous. ($250 really?) Especially since I'm already allotted the space in front of me for my feet or small bag.
I'd Just buy her the extra seat and put it in her name and she can do what she wills with her two seats when she on board. Keep it low key and she since is abiding by rules, by having her pet in a carrier under the seat in her immediate control she should be fine.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Emerald Club
Traveling with a Carry On Pet

Can someone walk me through the screening for having a dog in cabin with me? What should I expect? Can I be rejected?

I've gone over the basics and looks like my dog is just big enough to fit in a carrier, but cannot turnaround or stand fully in it. I've done some trial runs at home and he is fine for a couple of hours.

This is a 3hr FC segment that has few PAX due to departure time and location.

My dog is well trained enough to pull the service dog routine, but I don't want to be "that guy" if I don't have to. I will never entertain the thought of cargo for an animal either.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: aa plat
i have travelled with my dog who is a 9# cairn terrier mix and fits in one of those airline approved carriers. he can turn around.

a couple of thoughts:

1. when checking in, they look at your animal through the mesh in the kennel and ask you how much they weigh. i'm not sure if they are visually assessing if the pet can turn around. they have never asked me to take him out. you have to sign a form but don't need a vet's note anymore.

2. the kennel counts as one of your carryons.

3. the tsa process for me (i have precheck) is to take the pet out of the kennel, send the kennel thru the scanner, and you walk with your pet in hand thru the magnetometer. i can't comment on what happens with non precheck.

4. my guess is that if your pet is 15# or under all should go well.

5. i have never sedated my dog although our flying times are usually less than 2 hours. my dog is very chill, with the exception the postman and other deliverymen.

happy traveling
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:09 pm

I remember when I brought 2 puppies home with me ..I had to carry one puppy in each arm through the X - Ray machine haha.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: aa plat
i forgot to add that my dog has never flown on coach. the same cannot be said for me.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's been several years since my 16 pound terrier passed away, but I did fly with her a few times on AA. She could turn around but not stand up. Once or twice the ticket counter agent hemmed and hawed, but in the end relented and let her fly. But just in case you get an agent who is a stickler for the letter of the law, have a backup plan in mind.

Make sure you're not in the bulkhead.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Emerald Club
sounds promising so far. Thanks everyone.

Why should bulkhead be avoided?
Currently have seat 3A, but all of FC still open.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jadc82
Can someone walk me through the screening for having a dog in cabin with me? What should I expect? Can I be rejected?

I've gone over the basics and looks like my dog is just big enough to fit in a carrier, but cannot turnaround or stand fully in it. I've done some trial runs at home and he is fine for a couple of hours.

This is a 3hr FC segment that has few PAX due to departure time and location.

My dog is well trained enough to pull the service dog routine, but I don't want to be "that guy" if I don't have to. I will never entertain the thought of cargo for an animal either.
We always advise performing a search prior to starting a new thread; if there's already an existing thread, using it avoids information fragmentation and making it more difficult for others to find information conveniently. We have merged your query into the existing thread; please read the Wikipost at the top of the page. /Moderator
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by jadc82
sounds promising so far. Thanks everyone.

Why should bulkhead be avoided?
Currently have seat 3A, but all of FC still open.
I think I read that the carrier has to fit under the seat in front of you? So except for A321Ts which have a special space for pets in the first row of F, bulkheads wouldn't allow for that.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-animals.html for discussion regarding service, psychiatric and emotional support animals.

Thank you,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.