Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread relates to international changes only. For "domestic" including Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, ) same day changes see this thread.
International Same Day Flight Change has been limited to:

Link to American Airlines' current policy on Same Day Flight Change.

Link to AA FAQ - Same Day Flight Change

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Flight Change policy

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Travel Changes / SDFC and Standby FAQ

Standby The standby policy applies to travel within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caribbean or Canada on American and/or American Eagle.
Print Wikipost

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Old May 7, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
This definitely seems to just be the case of not having SDC inventory. Looking at tomorrow's 7am CUN-PHX flight (AA2569) the OP is trying to change onto, it's currently showing Y3 E0 - so the lack of SDC inventory is not surprising. The OP says it's "fairly empty" but I imagine that's just because the OP is looking at the Y seat map and not the actual loads. Just because the seatmap shows 30+ open seats in Y does not mean the flight is empty. FWIW, I have never had any issues with SDC on company/agency purchased tickets when the SDC inventory actually exists.

-FlyerBeek
aamilesslave likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
This definitely seems to just be the case of not having SDC inventory. Looking at tomorrow's 7am CUN-PHX flight (AA2569) the OP is trying to change onto, it's currently showing Y3 E0 - so the lack of SDC inventory is not surprising. The OP says it's "fairly empty" but I imagine that's just because the OP is looking at the Y seat map and not the actual loads. Just because the seatmap shows 30+ open seats in Y does not mean the flight is empty. FWIW, I have never had any issues with SDC on company/agency purchased tickets when the SDC inventory actually exists.

-FlyerBeek
Agree with your broader point, but E is not used for SDFC anymore. As in, the presence of E space doesn't guarantee SDFC like it did.

There's some mean grumpy guy in a basement who miserly dishes them out now.
Old May 8, 2021, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Antarius
Agree with your broader point, but E is not used for SDFC anymore. As in, the presence of E space doesn't guarantee SDFC like it did.
Correct. But, I have still found some correlation between E availability and SDC availability - especially when the lower fare buckets are zeroed out and there's still E7. But, I didn't mean to imply in my post that E is required for SDC.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 8, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 355F1
<SNIP>.

I HUCA'd.....the new agent TRANSFERRED me to some department and the lady there was able to get me changed so all is well. Not sure what happened.
I run into this all the time. I am required to book my travel through my company website (Concur powered by AMEX) and those book through the meetings/conference department at AA.

I usually upgrade my travel at my expense and calling the EXP line usually doesn't work as AMEX still has control of the tickets.

I have taken to calling the meeting/conference department at AA directly and they are more than happy to change the tickets for me without involving Amex, well 99% of the time anyway.

YMMV.
ExpatExp, BWISkyGuy and donotblink like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jhalapin
I run into this all the time. I am required to book my travel through my company website (Concur powered by AMEX) and those book through the meetings/conference department at AA.

I usually upgrade my travel at my expense and calling the EXP line usually doesn't work as AMEX still has control of the tickets.

I have taken to calling the meeting/conference department at AA directly and they are more than happy to change the tickets for me without involving Amex, well 99% of the time anyway.

YMMV.
This is great info, Ill keep this in mind next time! I wonder if they can also change the Expedia tickets booked via amextravel.com with the F80O or F80Q ticket designators!
Old May 8, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by donotblink
This is great info, Ill keep this in mind next time! I wonder if they can also change the Expedia tickets booked via amextravel.com with the F80O or F80Q ticket designators!
Conference and meeting desk is 800-433-1790, Option 2.

No idea about changing Expedia tickets, but they can change *most* tickets booked through Concur/Amex..
355F1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 10:37 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jhalapin

YMMV.
I think that is the department I spoke to who was very helpful!
JDiver and jhalapin like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AAs current policy.

jhalapin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Can you SDFC to an earlier flight to LHR if you have an ongoing flight on BA? Its the following the day, but priced as a layover, not a stopover.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Unless I missed something or dont fully understand the markets where it is offered, Mexico is not considered on the domestic SDC, but I was able to confirm a same day change.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm currently a BAEC Silver/oneworld Sapphire. I'm not really happy with the timing of this itinerary, but I don't see any other options at this price range. The segment that I don't like is LAX-YVR due to the early morning departure time. Apparently, AA does fly from LAX-DFW-YVR. Since the LAX-YVR segment is part of a more extensive outbound itinerary to YVR, is there a chance that after completing all segments leading to LAX, then call AA to do an SDFC that will take me from LAX-DFW-YVR so I can depart later? Technically, it's not really an SDFC as the CLT-LAX segment will get me there by 4:38 PM PST, and then the LAX-YVR segment won't begin until the next day at 9:30 AM PST.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm currently a BAEC Silver/oneworld Sapphire. I'm not really happy with the timing of this itinerary, but I don't see any other options at this price range. The segment that I don't like is LAX-YVR due to the early morning departure time. Apparently, AA does fly from LAX-DFW-YVR. Since the LAX-YVR segment is part of a more extensive outbound itinerary to YVR, is there a chance that after completing all segments leading to LAX, then call AA to do an SDFC that will take me from LAX-DFW-YVR so I can depart later? Technically, it's not really an SDFC as the CLT-LAX segment will get me there by 4:38 PM PST, and then the LAX-YVR segment won't begin until the next day at 9:30 AM PST.
According to the AA page about SDFC, you can't change the routing.

You might check what the fare difference would be to change the routing.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 19, 2022 at 1:22 pm Reason: Deleted link to this thread, since the post has been moved here.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by anabolism
According to the AA page about SDFC, you can't change the routing.

You might check what the fare difference would be to change the routing.
It sucks that I can't change the routing. The layover is about 16 hours. Is it even possible to call AA and ask about the fare difference? It's really weird that AA's only LAX-YVR flight is in the early morning. Hopefully, things will change later this year.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by lsquare
It sucks that I can't change the routing. The layover is about 16 hours. Is it even possible to call AA and ask about the fare difference? It's really weird that AA's only LAX-YVR flight is in the early morning. Hopefully, things will change later this year.
Yes, the restriction really does suck. (Apparently, too many people were deliberately booking cheaper connecting itineraries and then using SDFC to switch to more expensive nonstops.) Call and ask what the fare difference would be; AA has waived change fees (except on Basic Economy fares). You can also play around with matrix.itasoftware.com or Google Flights or even AA.com to get an idea for yourself, but calling can give you a definitive answer.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:21 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Can I SDFC from a JFK-LHR flight operated by AA to another AA-operated flight, when the original flight is marketed by another airline? TIA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.