Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread relates to international changes only. For "domestic" including Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, ) same day changes see this thread.
International Same Day Flight Change has been limited to:

Link to American Airlines' current policy on Same Day Flight Change.

Link to AA FAQ - Same Day Flight Change

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Flight Change policy

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Travel Changes / SDFC and Standby FAQ

Standby The standby policy applies to travel within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caribbean or Canada on American and/or American Eagle.
Print Wikipost

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Abhinavt
I am traveling from Asia to London to DUB on BA Stock.
And then have a flight from DUB to LHR to JFK, bth segments on AA stock.
Can I request for travel on the LHR to JFK on the AA flight and skipping the DUB to JFK BA flight, which is also on AA Stock. Ticket is on AA stock in J and I am an Exec Plat. Reason for booking DUB to JFK vs LHR was a price difference of $1700.
Of course you can request it. More importantly, AA will happily oblige, by reticketing and charging you the fare difference.

Also, it sounds like you would also not fly the last segment of your Asia-LON-DUB ticket. You can probably get away with that, as long as it's a one-time thing, but you also run the risk of you and/or your luggage going to DUB not via LON if there are problems.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:43 am

Ok , glad you were able to actually understand my complicated itinerary :-)
I was hoping AA to let me miss my DUB to LHR segment as a no charge Same day Stand By! Has anyone had any success on international same day change.

On Domestic itineraries, I am usually able to get any reasonable change at the counter

As for Bags, I have them covered as the BA ticket is the same $$ to LON as DUB.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Abhinavt
Ok , glad you were able to actually understand my complicated itinerary :-)
I was hoping AA to let me miss my DUB to LHR segment as a no charge Same day Stand By! Has anyone had any success on international same day change.

On Domestic itineraries, I am usually able to get any reasonable change at the counter

As for Bags, I have them covered as the BA ticket is the same $$ to LON as DUB.
I think my response was too subtle.

1) I do not believe you will be allowed to drop the DUB-LHR segment and still fly the following LHR-JFK segment -- whether you SDFC or not -- without re-pricing.

2) If you have a ticket for A-B-C and decide not to fly B-C, you run the risk that problems with the A-B flight cause you and/or your luggage to be re-routed to C without stopping in B. Perhaps that's not likely for Asia-LON-DUB specifically, but still...

For example, my last trip was supposed to end with SIN-HKG-DFW-TPA. Due to delayed SIN-HKG, and subsequent delays, I ended flying SIN-HKG-SFO-DEN-TPA, and my luggage ended up going to LAX rather than SFO! If my plan had been to bail at DFW, too bad for me.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:56 pm

Thanks, guess will take the flight from DUB, my itinerary now looks like this:
BOM-LHR-DUB-LHR-JFK, all 4 flights on the same day, 2 AM to 5.20 PM :-)

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I think my response was too subtle.

1) I do not believe you will be allowed to drop the DUB-LHR segment and still fly the following LHR-JFK segment -- whether you SDFC or not -- without re-pricing.

2) If you have a ticket for A-B-C and decide not to fly B-C, you run the risk that problems with the A-B flight cause you and/or your luggage to be re-routed to C without stopping in B. Perhaps that's not likely for Asia-LON-DUB specifically, but still...

For example, my last trip was supposed to end with SIN-HKG-DFW-TPA. Due to delayed SIN-HKG, and subsequent delays, I ended flying SIN-HKG-SFO-DEN-TPA, and my luggage ended up going to LAX rather than SFO! If my plan had been to bail at DFW, too bad for me.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've had mixed success making SDC with confirmed SWU's.
Past data points:
1) I had confirmed SWU on JFK-LHR. Had to call couple times for agent to change me to an earlier flight on the same day(I inventory, C was not available at the time of change)

2) I had confirmed SWU on JFK-LHR. Called 5 times and every agent said that there is no inventory(E). They said its an economy ticket and need E inventory to move me to earlier flight in Business. Made no sense.

What is the correct policy? Do we need E inventory for premium SDC? Do we need C space when using confirmed SWU?

I will be trying to change from 104(SWU confirmed) to 106 next week.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Acid
What is the correct policy? Do we need E inventory for premium SDC? Do we need C space when using confirmed SWU?
For premium cabin SDFC, only the original booking inventory is required. With upgrade inventories, that complicates things and probably glitches out their system. My interpretation is that C would be required and not E.

Upon further research, SDFC for mileage upgrades does require E availability, and then the upgrade must be processed again if available or waitlisted if not. The SDFC fee would apply.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Sep 3, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:09 am

I'm seeing E fare class inventory showing up in ExpertFlyer now for flights out of LHR to DFW, ORD, and LAX (not checked others). I've successfully SDFC for LAX - LHR before. Does this mean that SDFC out of LHR will expand beyond JFK?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ShortDog
I'm seeing E fare class inventory showing up in ExpertFlyer now for flights out of LHR to DFW, ORD, and LAX (not checked others). I've successfully SDFC for LAX - LHR before. Does this mean that SDFC out of LHR will expand beyond JFK?
E is technically a fare class on every AA flight as it is used for employee positive-space travel. It's routine to see E "availability" even on flights that aren't eligible for SDFC.

JFK-LHR remains the only "international" (excluding the Caribbean) route that can be SDFC'd.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
E is technically a fare class on every AA flight as it is used for employee positive-space travel. It's routine to see E "availability" even on flights that aren't eligible for SDFC.

JFK-LHR remains the only "international" (excluding the Caribbean) route that can be SDFC'd.
So, it's just a fluke that E is now showing up in EF?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by ShortDog
So, it's just a fluke that E is now showing up in EF?
Pretty sure EF is showing the actual fare class inventory, but that doesn't mean you can SDFC using it (you can use E class for its usage for employees though). I've never had luck SDFC internationally except for LHR-JFK and I've even been rejected trying to do a SDFC for LHR-JFK-SFO when E was available on both legs. The representatives in LHR said it could only be done if you are starting in LHR and ending in JFK.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
For premium cabin SDFC, only the original booking inventory is required. With upgrade inventories, that complicates things and probably glitches out their system. My interpretation is that C would be required and not E.

Upon further research, SDFC for mileage upgrades does require E availability, and then the upgrade must be processed again if available or waitlisted if not. The SDFC fee would apply.
I did SDFC twice last week on a confirmed SWU JFK-LHR flight. I was told the new flight needs to have 'C' inventory, else I can go back to coach and be waitlisted. Few hours before the flight, C space opened up and I was moved. Ticket number remained same.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:26 am

AA's policy of no changes to domestic legs of an international ticket are really frustrating. Flying SFO-LAX-LHR-AMS today and tried to change the SFO-LAX to an earlier flight. Agents could see F was wide open, but could not do the change without repricing the entire ticket.

I get that I shouldn't be able to change the LAX-LHR portion, but with so much inventory on the SFO-LAX it makes no sense to prevent this, especially with the abysmal touchdown to gate times at LAX making even 2 hour connections a bit scary.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
When is AA going to expand this beyond LHR-JFK? Why not LHR-DFW, MIA or ORD?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by econometrics
When is AA going to expand this beyond LHR-JFK? Why not LHR-DFW, MIA or ORD?
Would be nice, but I'm guessing never...or at least not until and unless those other routes are at least 4-5x daily.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:32 am

So, AA.com allowed me to do a SDFC for no charge LHR-ORD. Does it need to be re-ticketed? I haven't received anything yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.