Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread relates to international changes only. For "domestic" including Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, ) same day changes see this thread.
International Same Day Flight Change has been limited to:

Link to American Airlines' current policy on Same Day Flight Change.

Link to AA FAQ - Same Day Flight Change

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Flight Change policy

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Travel Changes / SDFC and Standby FAQ

Standby The standby policy applies to travel within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caribbean or Canada on American and/or American Eagle.
Print Wikipost

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mabramovich
I posted this in the domestic thread but apparently this counts as international so I was advised to post in this thread.

Hi all,

I had a question about a standby experience that happened today.

My girlfriend and I were travelling AMM - DOH - PHL - BOS on QR, with the PHL - BOS segment of course on AA. We were travelling in on an AA J award under two different record locators. I'm an AA Platinum, she has no status.

On landing in PHL, we tried to standby for an earlier flight to Boston. At the transfer desk, I was advised of a $75 fee, even for Platinums. I'm pretty sure that's wrong and sure enough in the lounge there was no issue putting me on the standby list (and I cleared for the flight).

However, no one could or would put my gf on the standby list, either for free or for $75. The agent tried and said nothing could be done on award tickets, and called her help desk who worked on it for a while with no success. We went to the gate so that I could board and as a last ditch effort she went to customer service who said nothing could be done in PHL - only at the point of departure. Of course, I asked to be put on standby way back in Amman but you can imagine that RJ ground staff working the QR flight had no idea about AA standby rules.

I'm looking at AA.com where it clearly says award business passengers get free confirmed changes and standby. In any case, she should at least be able to pay money to move up, right?

Am I mistaken? It was obviously very frustrating to not be able to make an earlier flight which ended up going out with a lot of seats.

Can anyone clarify the rules for me? Would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I'm unclear on whether you were looking for SDFC / Same Day Flight Change, which seems not to be allowed for international (other than LHR <-> JFK) and connections to / from international flights, or Same Day Standby.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

In any case, please read the wiki at the top of this page; it contains links to terms and conditions to both. Or click here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm unclear on whether you were looking for SDFC / Same Day Flight Change, which seems not to be allowed for international (other than LHR <-> JFK) and connections to / from international flights, or Same Day Standby.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

In any case, please read the wiki at the top of this page; it contains links to terms and conditions to both. Or click here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
Well this is not clear to me either. I was just asking to be put on an earlier flight - standby or confirmed didn't matter. The website is not clear to me - it mentions "domestic flights" which PHL - BOS is. It does not mention "domestic portions of international itineraries" as being ineligible for any changes.

Also, agents had no problem with my ticket but had issue with my gf's. Status should just get me the fee waived but I wasn't even able to pay for her. Why was I able to make a change then?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
To add to the confusion, AA distinguishes between their standby policy (standby permitted by fare rules and/or elite status) and Same-Day Standby ($75 product sold to passengers who are otherwise ineligible for standby).

I think you would have been permitted to standby for free on the domestic portion per the standby policy, but your girlfriend would not have been permitted to standby as your companion because you were on separate records, and she could not have purchased the $75 Same-Day Standby product because it was part of an international itinerary. But then again, premium cabin tickets are permitted by the fare rules to standby for free on domestic flights regardless of status, so... I have no idea, to be honest. Just throwing some more information out there.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
What are one's options if an evip is not going to clear? Can I take my first flight (of 3-flt itin) then pay the change fee and reroute to a gateway city with C space avail without a refare?

Last edited by TransWorldOne; Jan 21, 2016 at 12:37 am
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GOLD (status matched)
Back-to-back SDC possible on LHR-JFK for EXP?

Hi, I'm wondering if any EXPs have experience changing a flight to more than 24 hrs later by trying to get multiple SDCs in a row.

Let's say I have a return segment (LHR-JFK) of a partially flown ticket scheduled for April 10 in discount econ class with no SWUs applied.

I know that I can try to SDC for a flight within 24 hrs and if there's availability move it to the 11th--but is it possible to do it back to back (and maybe even once more) in order to fly, say, on April 12 or 13 instead of the 10th?

I know some people used to do this successfully on UA when I was a 1k there.
Just wondering what the rules are and what others have managed to do?

thanks
spsdc
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by spsDC
Hi, I'm wondering if any EXPs have experience changing a flight to more than 24 hrs later by trying to get multiple SDCs in a row.

Let's say I have a return segment (LHR-JFK) of a partially flown ticket scheduled for April 10 in discount econ class with no SWUs applied.

I thought it has to be same day. Seems like u are trying to use same day change to change to a different day

I know that I can try to SDC for a flight within 24 hrs and if there's availability move it to the 11th--but is it possible to do it back to back (and maybe even once more) in order to fly, say, on April 12 or 13 instead of the 10th?

I know some people used to do this successfully on UA when I was a 1k there.
Just wondering what the rules are and what others have managed to do?

thanks
spsdc
I don't believe u can change dates the way u are trying to.

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Mar 24, 2016 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:53 am

Removed.

Last edited by paladin732; Apr 9, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Any ideas if the $150 fee for international SDFCs is waived for EXPs like the domestic ones?

Stuck on an overpass bridge in my Heathrow Connect train and looks like we aren't moving for the next hour or two... Time to SDFC my LHR-JFK leaving in the next 30 minutes...
Old May 16, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Any ideas if the $150 fee for international SDFCs is waived for EXPs like the domestic ones?
Yes, it is, assuming the routing is eligible for SDFC (i.e. you're not connecting from somewhere to LHR on the same fare basis). I have done this several times.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by andox
Yes, it is, assuming the routing is eligible for SDFC (i.e. you're not connecting from somewhere to LHR on the same fare basis). I have done this several times.
Thanks! ^ EXP desk said that I would have to pay the fee and I didn't have time to HUCA. LHR ticketing desk was also completely unaware that you could SDFC the route, but they eventually sorted it out...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:16 pm

If you have an I class ticket for LHR-JFK, does anybody know which fare buckets need to be open to SDFC onto another flight?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cynicalmoose
If you have an I class ticket for LHR-JFK, does anybody know which fare buckets need to be open to SDFC onto another flight?
I. For premium cabins, it must be the same inventory.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Maybe I'm a bit daft these days but can someone explain how we arrived at the conclusion below - other than agents denying the change

This also means domestic sectors of an international itinerary are ineligible for SDC.
Cheers -
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Maybe I'm a bit daft these days but can someone explain how we arrived at the conclusion below - other than agents denying the change
AA policy, in effect even before SDFC was possible on JFK-LHR.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:12 pm

I am traveling from Asia to London to DUB on BA Stock.
And then have a flight from DUB to LHR to JFK, bth segments on AA stock.
Can I request for travel on the LHR to JFK on the AA flight and skipping the DUB to JFK BA flight, which is also on AA Stock. Ticket is on AA stock in J and I am an Exec Plat. Reason for booking DUB to JFK vs LHR was a price difference of $1700.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.