Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-19 AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.

Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The current thread is here.
Check-in times as of March 2016 Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

If youre beginning travel from any of the airports below, the check-in time is longer:

Departing from: Check-in must be completed by:
(minutes before scheduled departure time)
  • Caracas, Venezuela (CCS) 90 minutes
  • Dublin, Ireland (DUB) 75 minutes
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) 75 minutes
  • Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR) 90 minutes
  • St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT) 90 minutes
Link to Miami International Airport website

Link to aa.com Miami International Airport page and airport app.

Link to thread with archived older posts.

Peculiarities: MIA can be affected by summer tropical storms and hurricanes. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide. At peak times (e.g. early morning arrivals), arrivals processing and terminal facilities can get very crowded.

Special notice

We operate out of Concourses D and E. Check your flight status for gate information.

Ticket counters
American Airlines
Concourse D
Daily: 4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.

Airport Map

AA Ticket Counter & Gates Map

Official MCT / Minimum Connection Times for MIA (assuming same terminal):
  • 0:40 Domestic to Domestic
  • 0:45 Domestic to International
  • 1:35 International to Domestic
  • 1:35 International to International
NOTE: Though 1:35 is the given MCT International to Domestic (and 1:35 international to international), one should not consider that useful for everyone connecting international to domestic unless one has Global Entry or luck.

International arrivals at MIA requires most passengers to fill out a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Declaration Form 6059B - one per family - process U.S. Immigration, retrieve baggage at arrivals carousels, process through U.S. customs, re-check baggage, proceed to either the TSA connections security processing queue or landside and process TSA security (with onward boarding pass) to return airside. (Read on for exceptions.)

This does not apply if you are connecting international to international and have red "ITI" tags on your checked baggage. You will have to produce the Form 6059B and still pass through USCBP, albeit without baggage.

Other than for U.S. passport holders and passengers with USDHS ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization under the Visa Waiver Program), who may use kiosks that expedite the arrivals process, Immigration, Customs and TSA Security queues can at times be tortuous and one would do better scheduling a connection time closer to 2:30 (or even 3:00) for a comfortable international to domestic or to international connection for non-ESTA / non-U.S. passport holders.

If one is enrolled in Global Entry and can use the dedicated kiosks and expedited queues, the process is speediest as there are clearly marked queues after the self-clearing kiosks and one is not required to possess a Form 6059B.
For general information, see:

AA FAQ: Will I make my connection?

AA Wiki: Minimum Connecting Times

MIA Airport Website

MIA North Terminal (Concourse D) Updates

Concourse D Skytrain (inside security) - transfers between all gates in Concourse D and between inbound international flights and Customs & Immigrations Halls in Concourse E. Concourses D and E are connected inside security via a walkway.
Connections between terminals at MIA (using the Skyride Connector moving walkways)

AA.com: Admirals Club Locations and Hours

FT: American Airlines Lounge Dashboard for Lounge information
MIA Concourses and Gates

The terminal at MIA is a single U-shaped building divided into 6 concourses. AA operates flights out of Concourses D & E.
Concourse D: Gates D1-D60
  • American Airlines ticket counters are located at Concourse D, Doors 1-7 and Concourse E, Door 10
  • American Airlines mainline flights depart from Gates D1-D51
  • American Eagle flights depart from Gates D53, D55 & D60

Concourse E: Gates E2-E11 & E20-E33
Gates E20-E33 are located at the International Satellite Terminal, accessible via people mover on Level 4 just past the Concourse E security checkpoint. If the people mover is out of service, signs will direct passengers to the shuttle bus departing from the E1 Bus Station on Level 1
  • American Airlines ticket counters are located at Concourse D, Doors 1-7 and Concourse E, Door 10
  • American Airlines mainline flights depart from Gates E2-E11 & E20-E33
  • airberlin ticket counter is located at Concourse E, between Doors 9 & 10; flights to Dusseldorf depart from Gate E10 and flights to Berlin depart from Concourse F
  • British Airways ticket counter is located at Concourse F, Door 14; flights using Airbus A380 equipment depart from Gate E6 and all other flights depart from Gate E8
  • Finnair ticket counter is located at Concourse E, Door 10; flights depart from Concourse F
  • Iberia ticket counter is located at Concourse E, between Doors 13 & 14; flights depart from Gate E23
  • Qatar Airways ticket counter is located at Concourse E, between Doors 9 & 10; flights depart from Gate E10
  • WestJet ticket counter is located at Concourse E, Door 12; flights depart from Concourse F

Concourse F: Gates F3-F23
  • airberlin ticket counter is located at Concourse E, between Doors 9 & 10; flights to Dusseldorf depart from Gate E10 and flights to Berlin depart from Concourse F
  • British Airways ticket counter is located at Concourse F, Door 14; flights using Airbus A380 equipment depart from Gate E6 and all other flights depart from Gate E8
  • Finnair ticket counter is located at Concourse E, Door 10; flights depart from Concourse F
  • WestJet ticket counter is located at Concourse E, Door 12; flights depart from Concourse F

Concourse G: Gates G2-G19

Concourse H: Gates H3-H17
  • LATAM Airlines ticket counter is located at Concourse H, Doors 24-26; flights depart from Concourses H & J

Concourse J: Gates J2-J18
  • Delayed American Airlines international flights arrive at Concourse J when the federal inspection station at Concourse D is closed (generally between 11 PM and 3:30 AM)
  • LATAM Airlines ticket counter is located at Concourse H, Doors 24-26; flights depart from Concourses H & J

Checking in at MIA Link

Flagship Check-in: Yes

Arrival at the Airport

Longer security lines this spring & summer

The TSA recommends arriving at the airport 2 hours before your flight (3 hours for international). If you travel often, save time by enrolling in TSA PreCheck. Were working with the U.S. government to alleviate these delays.

Check-in Times

You must be checked in:

• At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States (domestic flights)
  • At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to airports outside of the United States (international flights)

Arrival at Gate

You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

• 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure

Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your seat assignment and the removal of your checked baggage from the aircraft.

Doors close 10 minutes before departure.

Time to baggage delivery: 30-55 minutes

AA Ticket Counters Link

Concourse D
Charter 1: Cuba charter check-in only; open dependent on charter flight schedule, located across from Door 1

Kiosk 1: self-service check-in; located between Doors 1 and 2

Main: full-service check-in; located across from Door 2

Flagship: full-service check-in; located between Doors 2 & 3

Priority: full-service check-in; separate queues for First Class & AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Business Class & AAdvantage Platinum, and AAdvantage Gold & Priority; late nights Priority and Main are consolidated at this counter; located between Doors 3 & 4

Kiosk 2: self-service check-in; located across from Door 5

Kiosk 3: self-service check-in; located across from Door 6

Rebooking Center: missed connection assistance for customers arriving on international flights only; located across from Door 6

Cuba Check-in: self-service check-in for customers traveling to Cuba only; located between Doors 6 & 7

Future Ticketing: located on Arrivals (lower) level, next to Carousel 27 Permanently closed
Concourse E
Charter 2: Cuba charter check-in only; open dependent on charter flight schedule, located across from Door 10

Security at MIA

Link to security checkpoint locations map. All Concourse D and E gates are accessible from any D or E checkpoint. Connections to or from other concourses will require you to exit and reclear security.

If you do not have Priority or Pre✓, please allow at least 20-40 minutes to clear security. If you miss your flight due to security checkpoint wait times, you will be allowed to standby for the next AA flight to your destination.

Concourse D
Checkpoint 1: open 5 AM to 9 PM, best for Gates D1-D21, located across from Door 1

Checkpoint 2: open 24 hours, best for Gates D22-D24, available to Priority and Pre✓ passengers only while other checkpoints are open (4 AM to 10:30 PM), located across from Door 3

Checkpoint 3: open 4 AM to 10:30 PM, best for Gates D25-D29 & D41-D60 (via skytrain) and access to skytrain Station 2, located between Doors 5 & 6

Checkpoint 4: open 8 AM to 10 AM and 6 PM to 8 PM, best for Gates D30-D40, located across from Door 9

D FIS Checkpoint: open 4 AM to 9:30 PM, available only to passengers who have cleared customs at the D federal inspection station (non-precleared international flights arriving Concourses D, E & F), located to your left upon exiting customs
Concourse E
Checkpoint E: open 4 AM to 10:30 PM, best for Gates E2-E11 & E20-E33, located between Doors 11 & 12
Priority lanes available at Checkpoints 2 and E

TSA Pre✓ available 24 hours at Checkpoint 2, available during peak times only at Checkpoints 1, E, and D FIS

CLEAR available at Checkpoint E

Tip: Upon exiting customs, you will be directed to the D FIS checkpoint. If you would like to use an alternate checkpoint, follow the signs to the Crew EXIT and Rebooking Center in order to avoid exiting on the Arrivals (lower) level and having to go back upstairs. Checkpoints 1-3 will be to your left and Checkpoints 4 & E will be to your right.

Security checkpoint operating hours may differ from published times due to TSA staffing constraints and security initiatives.

MIA Services, Shopping, and Dining

MIA VIP Services (expedited processing similar to AA Five Star Service): link.

Lounges: please see the Lounge Dashboard sticky for further lounge information at MIA
Concourse D: Admirals Clubs above Gate D15 and across from Gate D30; Centurion Lounge at Gate D12 (take elevator in rotunda to Level 3)

Concourse E: Premium Lounge (take elevators just beyond security checkpoint to Level 5)
Dining & Shopping: Link to MIA services, dining guide, and interactive map

On-Airport Hotel:
Miami International Airport Hotel (landside, Concourse E)
Currency Exchange: Coming soon!

Wi-Fi:
Paid WI-Fi service available throughout terminal. Link to pricing information and connection instructions
Charging Stations:
Coming soon!
Smoking: Smoking is permitted only in designated smoking areas across from terminal sidewalks and at:
TGI Friday's smoking lounge between Gates D34 & D36
Rental Cars: The Rental Car Center is located at 3900 NW 25 St, Miami, FL 33142 (across from the main entrance to the airport) and is served by 16 companies. Link. Access to and from the terminal is via the MIA Mover automated people mover.
Arriving Passengers: After collecting your baggage, follow the black and pink signs to the MIA Mover station on the third level of the terminal, accessible via moving walkway. From there, board the MIA Mover to the Rental Car Center. Trains generally depart and arrive on the right track and run 24 hours a day. From 5 AM to midnight, trains run approximately every 3 minutes; from midnight to 5 AM, trains run approximately every 7 minutes. The train will reach the Rental Car Center in approximately 3 minutes. After exiting the station area, the rental car agencies will be located to your right.

Departing Passengers: Please return your vehicle at the Rental Car Center before checking in for your departing flight. After returning your vehicle, follow the black and pink signs to the MIA Mover station on the fourth level of the facility. From there, board the MIA Mover to Miami International Airport. Trains generally depart and arrive on the right track and run 24 hours a day. From 5 AM to midnight, trains run approximately every 3 minutes; from midnight to 5 AM, trains run approximately every 7 minutes. The train will reach the airport terminal in approximately 3 minutes. After exiting the station area, moving walkways to AA ticket counters and gates will be located to your right.
Animal Relief Areas:
Coming soon!

MIA Parking

There are Valet and Garage parking options. Link for options, pricing, and maps

Accessible/Disabled Parking: Link

Cell Phone Waiting Lot: Link

MIA Transportation

Public Transportation: All buses and trains depart from Miami Central Station, which is co-located with the Rental Car Center and is accessible via the MIA Mover automated people mover. Link to map and directions to Miami Central Station
Metrorail Orange Line to Dadeland South, serving Downtown Miami

Miami Beach Airport Express bus to Miami Beach

Metrobus routes 7, 37, 42, 57, J, 238/338 & 297

Tri-Rail commuter rail to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach
Hotel Shuttles, Shared-Ride Vans, and Taxis: Link to area map and fare estimates
Hotel shuttles pick up and drop off on the Departures (upper) level at Doors 3 & 7 at Concourse D; there are no designated stops at Concourses E-J

Super Shuttle shared-ride van service. Stands located on Arrivals (lower) level at Concourses D, E, F, and H.

Taxi stands located on Arrivals (lower) level at Concourses D, E, F, and H. Blue "Airport Region Taxi Service" taxis serve areas immediately adjacent to the airport. Yellow taxis serve all other areas.

Uber and Lyft rideshare services are technically illegal at MIA but will accept pick-ups and drop-offs. There are no designated stops; however, rideshare drivers will generally pick up on the Arrivals (lower) level.
Intercity Bus: Buses depart from Miami Central Station. Link to map and directions to Miami Central Station
Greyhound bus service throughout continental United States

megabus low-cost express bus service to Orlando and Tampa

Things to Do

Is there anything to do at MIA? Coming soon!

Do I have time to go to Miami or Miami Beach?
Downtown Miami Due to increased security checkpoint wait times, you should allow yourself at least 3 hours between connections if you do not have Priority or Pre✓. A taxi to the city center should take approximately 12-17 minutes and will cost approximately $22. Because traffic to and from the airport can be unpredictable, consider taking the Metrorail Orange Line in lieu of a taxi. It is a 15-minute ride from the airport to the city center and trains run every 10-15 minutes except late nights. A roundtrip is $4.50.

Miami Beach Allow at least 3 hours between connections due to the possibility of heavy traffic on the highways between the beach and the mainland. A taxi to the beach should take approximately 22-27 minutes and will cost $35 (flat rate) if going south of 63rd Street. For reference, South Beach and most of the tourist spots are south of 23rd Street. Consider taking the 150 Miami Beach Airport Express bus from the airport to the beach. It is a 31-minute ride from the airport to the Lincoln Road Mall and buses run every 20 minutes. A roundtrip is $4.50.
Posts from 2015-2017 have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015-19 AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.

Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by jmr50
Any idea the hours that Precheck operates at the FIS checkpoint?
What FIS means? I can tell you PreCheck is available at TSA checkpoint #2 , it used to be 24hs but I have been a couple of time after 10pm (for my 11pm flight) and Precheck at checkpoint #2 has been closed after time. The regular line is not that long anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Hi All,

Trip planned for a Sunday in June MAD - MIA on Iberia. I want to connect from MIA - Tampa on AA. Due to the connection time being exactly 90 mins rather 95, which doesn't meet MCT, Iberia will not book me through, forcing me to purchase two separate tickets. I arrive at 8:05pm on Iberia and departure is 9:30pm on AA to Tampa. Wife and I are global entry and in premium economy. We might not be checking luggage, but in the event we did, is this doable at this time on a Sunday?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by CoHiba Gent; Nov 27, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Hi All,

Trip planned for a Sunday in June MAD - MIA on Iberia. I want to connect from MIA - Tampa on AA. Due to the connection time being exactly 90 mins rather 95, which doesn't meet MCT, Iberia will not book me through, forcing me to purchase two separate tickets. I arrive at 8:05pm on Iberia and departure is 9:30pm on AA to Tampa. Wife and I are global entry and in premium economy. We might not be checking luggage, but in the event we did, is this doable at this time on a Sunday?
It is extremely unlikely that you can do this with checked baggage. I assume that the baggage reclaim experience with IB will be no different than for AA, so at best you will have your luggage in hand 40 minutes after arrival. Therefore you would almost certainly miss the cutoff time for rechecking* baggage. I'm not saying it couldn't happen for somebody on occasion, but I think the probability of success is less than 5%.

No checked baggage with GE is very doable.

*Update: To be clear, by rechecking in this case I mean having to go to a regular check in location to get bags tagged and accepted by American. In cases unlike this one, where they can be tagged to the final destination and just dropped off, making the connection would still be high risk, but a much better chance of making it.

Last edited by coolcoil; Nov 28, 2017 at 5:01 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Hi All,

Many thanks,

Andrew
Is that the only flight Iberia are running MAD-MIA that day? They usually have an earlier departure too, especially during the busy summer period.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:21 pm

Uber/Lyft at MIA

Are these readily available at MIA,...In a special zone only? Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
https://www.uber.com/en-CO/airports/mia/
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Yes, just open the app and it will ask you which door you're at, and the driver will meet you there.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Connecting in Miami

Apologies if this is dealt with elsewhere - I'm normally on the British Airways board so am less certain what content does/does not exist over here on AA.

I am planning to connect through MIA; arriving on AA from London, departing on AA to Orlando (and reverse on the return).

The return connection is easy, I assume (domestic to international) - remain fully airside at MIA, no immigration or customs, no need to re-check any checked baggage, and no TSA security - is that correct?

On the outbound connection (international to domestic), I am aware as follows:

- I will obviously need to clear immigration: I don't have GE, but do have an ESTA so can use the machines. I've done this a few times now on arrival into MIA as a final destination, so no concern about this. Same for customs. I will probably travel with hand baggage only, but either way I am aware I need to clear customs (and then re-check any checked baggage for the onward flight).

Main question is - there is I believe TSA security for this connection at MIA. How quick/slow will it be, and is there any fast-track. I will be a OneWorld Emerald, travelling in business class. Any help?

If no fast-track on the TSA connections channel and it looks slow...is it possible and quicker to just exit from the customs hall back to the main departures zone, and use the Flagship check-in route back through the 'normal' departure TSA? I'll be headed to the new Flagship lounge afterwards, if that makes any difference (access rights by being OneWorld Emerald).

Any answers much appreciated....
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:00 pm

Everything you say in your post is correct. The speed of the TSA checkpoint from international arrivals does vary with the flow of traffic. If you get there are the line is terrible you can exit to the main terminal and use the Flagship check in.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:23 pm

There's no priority access lanes at the connections security. Sometimes it is indeed quicker to go outside and go through security there. However, generally I find the connection security to be pretty quick.

The process as you've explained it is correct, though there is no longer a customs check after baggage claim. You can walk straight out. (Some passengers are selected for an extra customs check, though.)

Feel free to check the MIA connection thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...onnection.html
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Great - thanks guys - all makes sense. Sure the lines will be ok; I have a 3 hour connect so pretty relaxed. But good to know if they are really bad I can start again from Flagship check-in as an alternative.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made an INTL-DOM connection back in September. I didn't have my DOM BP so I went to the AA transfer desk in the INTL recheck area and the line was backed up with at least 60 people. I reversed course and exited and walked down to the main departures lobby for my BP and cleared security within 10 minutes.(I do have Precheck)
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Djokison
There's no priority access lanes at the connections security. Sometimes it is indeed quicker to go outside and go through security there. However, generally I find the connection security to be pretty quick.

The process as you've explained it is correct, though there is no longer a customs check after baggage claim. You can walk straight out. (Some passengers are selected for an extra customs check, though.)

Feel free to check the MIA connection thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...onnection.html
There is a lane for PreCheck customers at connections, but it's not always open.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:15 am

Not sure if this was asked/answered as I've been trying to search through MIA forums but I have a question about checking through customs to the next flight.

We are flying in to MIA from CUR and have about 2 hours between our connection to Charlotte to go through customs and then catch our flight. I'm wondering if MIA is similar to FLL in that you have to go through customs and then back through TSA security once you're done. I flew through IAH years ago and I just walked through a door and headed on to my connection. FLL we got dumped outside and had to go back through TSA screening. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. We have carry ons this time too, no checked luggage. That was our big problem as it was delayed coming through screening at FLL.

Any info will help alleviate my worry! Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LRocksCan
Not sure if this was asked/answered as I've been trying to search through MIA forums but I have a question about checking through customs to the next flight.

We are flying in to MIA from CUR and have about 2 hours between our connection to Charlotte to go through customs and then catch our flight. I'm wondering if MIA is similar to FLL in that you have to go through customs and then back through TSA security once you're done. I flew through IAH years ago and I just walked through a door and headed on to my connection. FLL we got dumped outside and had to go back through TSA screening. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. We have carry ons this time too, no checked luggage. That was our big problem as it was delayed coming through screening at FLL.

Any info will help alleviate my worry! Thanks!
At every international airport in the USA you will have to re-clear TSA security after exiting customs/immigration, before you can proceed to your connecting flight. This is because you come into contact with your checked luggage. MIA is no different of course, but 2 hrs. should be plenty of time.

Not sure what happened with your experience at IAH, were you connecting TO an int'l flight? Or coming from a destination that does US immigration & customs preclearance (Canada, several Caribbean, DUB, AUH, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.