Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.

Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Check-in times as of March 2016 Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States[
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

If youre beginning travel from any of the airports below, the check-in time is longer:

Departing from: Check-in must be completed by:
(minutes before scheduled departure time)
  • Caracas, Venezuela (CCS) 90 minutes
  • Dublin, Ireland (DUB) 75 minutes
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) 75 minutes
  • Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR) 90 minutes
  • St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT) 90 minutes
Link to Miami International Airport website
Link to aa.com Miami International Airport page and airport app.
Link to thread with archived older posts.

Peculiarities: MIA can be affected by summer tropical storms and hurricanes. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide. At peak times (e.g. early morning arrivals), arrivals processing and terminal facilities can get very crowded.

Special notice

We operate out of Concourses D and E. Check your flight status for gate information.

Ticket counters
American Airlines
Concourse D
Daily: 4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.

Airport Map
Official Minimum Connection Times for MIA (assuming same terminal):
  • 0:40 Domestic to Domestic
  • 0:45 Domestic to International
  • 1:35 International to Domestic
  • 1:35 International to International
NOTE: Though 1:35 is the given MCT International to Domestic (and 1:35 international to international), one should not consider that useful for everyone connecting international to domestic unless one has Global Entry or luck.

International arrivals at MIA requires most passengers to fill out a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Declaration Form 6059B - one per family - process U.S. Immigration, retrieve baggage at arrivals carousels, process through U.S. customs, re-check baggage, proceed to either the TSA connections security processing queue or landside and process TSA security (with onward boarding pass) to return airside. (Read on for exceptions.)

This does not apply if you are connecting international to international and have red "ITI" tags on your checked baggage. You will have to produce the Form 6059B and still pass through USCBP, albeit without baggage.

Other than for U.S. passport holders and passengers with USDHS ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization under the Visa Waiver Program), who may use kiosks that expedite the arrivals process, Immigration, Customs and TSA Security queues can at times be tortuous and one would do better scheduling a connection time closer to 2:30 (or even 3:00) for a comfortable international to domestic or to international connection for non-ESTA / non-U.S. passport holders.

If one is enrolled in Global Entry and can use the dedicated kiosks and expedited queues, the process is speediest as there are clearly marked queues after the self-clearing kiosks and one is not required to possess a Form 6059B.
For general information, see:

AA FAQ: Will I make my connection?
MIA Airport Website
MIA North Terminal (Concourse D) Updates
Concourse D Skytrain (inside security) - transfers between all gates in Concourse D and between inbound international flights and Customs & Immigrations Halls in Concourse E. Concourses D and E are connected inside security via a walkway.
Connections between terminals at MIA (using the Skyride Connector moving walkways)
AA.com: Admirals Club Locations and Hours
FT: American Airlines Lounge Dashboard for Lounge information

Concourses and Gates
The terminal at MIA is a single U-shaped building divided into 6 concourses. AA operates flights out of Concourses D & E.Concourse D: Gates D1-D60
  • American Airlines ticket counters are located at Concourse D, Doors 1-7 and Concourse E, Door 10
  • American Airlines mainline flights depart from Gates D1-D51
  • American Eagle flights depart from Gates D53, D55 & D60
Concourse E: Gates E2-E11 & E20-E33
Gates E20-E33 are located at the International Satellite Terminal, accessible via people mover on Level 4 just past the Concourse E security checkpoint. If the people mover is out of service, signs will direct passengers to the shuttle bus departing from the E1 Bus Station on Level 1
  • American Airlines ticket counters are located at Concourse D, Doors 1-7 and Concourse E, Door 10
  • American Airlines mainline flights depart from Gates E2-E11 & E20-E33
  • British Airways ticket counter is located at Concourse F, Door 14; flights using Airbus A380 equipment depart from Gate E6 and all other flights depart from Gate E8
  • Finnair ticket counter is located at Concourse E, Door 10; flights depart from Gate E30
  • Iberia ticket counter is located at Concourse E, between Doors 13 & 14; flights depart from Gate E23Qatar Airways ticket counter is located at Concourse E, between Doors 9 & 10; flights depart from Gate E10
  • WestJet ticket counter is located at Concourse E, Door 12; flights depart from Concourse F
Concourse F: Gates F3-F23
  • British Airways ticket counter is located at Concourse F, Door 14; flights using Airbus A380 equipment depart from Gate E6 and all other flights depart from Gate E8
  • WestJet ticket counter is located at Concourse E, Door 12; flights depart from Concourse F
Concourse J: Gates J2-J18
  • Delayed American Airlines international flights arrive at Concourse J when the federal inspection station at Concourse D is closed (generally between 11 PM and 3:30 AM)

Checking in at MIA Link
Flagship Check-in: Yes

Arrival at the Airport
The TSA recommends arriving at the airport 2 hours before your flight (3 hours for international). If you travel often, save time by enrolling in TSA PreCheck. Were working with the U.S. government to alleviate these delays.

Check-in Times
You must be checked in:
  • At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States (domestic flights)
  • At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to airports outside of the United States (international flights)
Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:
  • 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure
Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your seat assignment and the removal of your checked baggage from the aircraft.

Doors close 10 minutes before departure.

Time to baggage delivery: 30-55 minutes

AA Ticket Counters Link

Concourse D
Charter 1: Cuba charter check-in only; open dependent on charter flight schedule, located across from Door 1

Kiosk 1: self-service check-in; located between Doors 1 and 2
Main: full-service check-in; located across from Door 2
Flagship: full-service check-in; located between Doors 2 & 3
Priority: full-service check-in; separate queues for First Class & AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Business Class & AAdvantage Platinum, and AAdvantage Gold & Priority; late nights Priority and Main are consolidated at this counter; located between Doors 3 & 4

Kiosk 2: self-service check-in; located across from Door 5

Kiosk 3: self-service check-in; located across from Door 6

Rebooking Center: missed connection assistance for customers arriving on international flights only; located across from Door 6

Cuba Check-in: self-service check-in for customers traveling to Cuba only; located between Doors 6 & 7

Concourse E
Charter 2: Cuba charter check-in only; open dependent on charter flight schedule, located across from Door 10


Security at MIA
Link to security checkpoint locations map. All Concourse D and E gates are accessible from any D or E checkpoint. Connections to or from other concourses will require you to exit and reclear security.

If you do not have Priority or Pre✓, please allow at least 20-40 minutes to clear security. If you miss your flight due to security checkpoint wait times, you will be allowed to standby for the next AA flight to your destination.

Concourse D
Checkpoint 1: open 5 AM to 9 PM, best for Gates D1-D21, located across from Door 1

Checkpoint 2: open 24 hours, best for Gates D22-D24, available to Priority and Pre✓ passengers only while other checkpoints are open (4 AM to 10:30 PM), located across from Door 3

Checkpoint 3: open 4 AM to 10:30 PM, best for Gates D25-D29 & D41-D60 (via skytrain) and access to skytrain Station 2, located between Doors 5 & 6

Checkpoint 4: open 8 AM to 10 AM and 6 PM to 8 PM, best for Gates D30-D40, located across from Door 9

D FIS Checkpoint: open 4 AM to 9:30 PM, available only to passengers who have cleared customs at the D federal inspection station (non-precleared international flights arriving Concourses D, E & F), located to your left upon exiting customs

Concourse E
Checkpoint E: open 4 AM to 10:30 PM, best for Gates E2-E11 & E20-E33, located between Doors 11 & 12

Priority lanes available at Checkpoints 2 and E

TSA Pre✓ available 24 hours at Checkpoint 2, available during peak times only at Checkpoints 1, E, and D FIS

CLEAR available at Checkpoint E & H

Tip: Upon exiting customs, you will be directed to the D FIS checkpoint. If you would like to use an alternate checkpoint, follow the signs to the Crew EXIT and Rebooking Center in order to avoid exiting on the Arrivals (lower) level and having to go back upstairs. Checkpoints 1-3 will be to your left and Checkpoints 4 & E will be to your right.

Security checkpoint operating hours may differ from published times due to TSA staffing constraints and security initiatives.


MIA Services, Shopping, and Dining
MIA VIP Services (expedited processing similar to AA Five Star Service): link.

Lounges: please see the Lounge Dashboard sticky for further lounge information at MIAConcourse D: Admirals Clubs above Gate D15 and across from Gate D30; Centurion Lounge at Gate D12 (take elevator in rotunda to Level 3)

Dining & Shopping: Link to MIA services, dining guide, and interactive map

On-Airport Hotel:Miami International Airport Hotel (landside, Concourse E)

Wi-Fi:Paid WI-Fi service available throughout terminal. Link to pricing information and connection instructions

Smoking: Smoking is permitted only in designated smoking areas across from terminal sidewalks and at:TGI Friday's smoking lounge between Gates D34 & D36

Rental Cars: The Rental Car Center is located at 3900 NW 25 St, Miami, FL 33142 (across from the main entrance to the airport) and is served by 16 companies. Link. Access to and from the terminal is via the MIA Mover automated people mover.Arriving Passengers: After collecting your baggage, follow the black and pink signs to the MIA Mover station on the third level of the terminal, accessible via moving walkway. From there, board the MIA Mover to the Rental Car Center. Trains generally depart and arrive on the right track and run 24 hours a day. From 5 AM to midnight, trains run approximately every 3 minutes; from midnight to 5 AM, trains run approximately every 7 minutes. The train will reach the Rental Car Center in approximately 3 minutes. After exiting the station area, the rental car agencies will be located to your right.

Departing Passengers: Please return your vehicle at the Rental Car Center before checking in for your departing flight. After returning your vehicle, follow the black and pink signs to the MIA Mover station on the fourth level of the facility. From there, board the MIA Mover to Miami International Airport. Trains generally depart and arrive on the right track and run 24 hours a day. From 5 AM to midnight, trains run approximately every 3 minutes; from midnight to 5 AM, trains run approximately every 7 minutes. The train will reach the airport terminal in approximately 3 minutes. After exiting the station area, moving walkways to AA ticket counters and gates will be located to your right.

Animal Relief Areas:Coming soon!


MIA Parking
There are Valet and Garage parking options. Link for options, pricing, and maps

Accessible/Disabled Parking: Link

Cell Phone Waiting Lot: Link


MIA Transportation
Public Transportation: All buses and trains depart from Miami Central Station, which is co-located with the Rental Car Center and is accessible via the MIA Mover automated people mover. Link to map and directions to Miami Central StationMetrorail Orange Line to Dadeland South, serving Downtown Miami

Miami Beach Airport Express bus to Miami Beach

Metrobus routes 7, 37, 42, 57, J, 238/338 & 297

Tri-Rail commuter rail to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach

Hotel Shuttles, Shared-Ride Vans, and Taxis: Link to area map and fare estimatesHotel shuttles pick up and drop off on the Departures (upper) level at Doors 3 & 7 at Concourse D; there are no designated stops at Concourses E-J

Super Shuttle shared-ride van service. Stands located on Arrivals (lower) level at Concourses D, E, F, and H.

Taxi stands located on Arrivals (lower) level at Concourses D, E, F, and H. Blue "Airport Region Taxi Service" taxis serve areas immediately adjacent to the airport. Yellow taxis serve all other areas.

Uber and Lyft rideshare services are technically illegal at MIA but will accept pick-ups and drop-offs. There are no designated stops; however, rideshare drivers will generally pick up on the Arrivals (lower) level.

Intercity Bus: Buses depart from Miami Central Station. Link to map and directions to Miami Central StationGreyhound bus service throughout continental United States

megabus low-cost express bus service to Orlando and Tampa


Things to Do
Do I have time to go to Miami or Miami Beach?Downtown Miami Due to increased security checkpoint wait times, you should allow yourself at least 3 hours between connections if you do not have Priority or Pre✓. A taxi to the city center should take approximately 12-17 minutes and will cost approximately $22. Because traffic to and from the airport can be unpredictable, consider taking the Metrorail Orange Line in lieu of a taxi. It is a 15-minute ride from the airport to the city center and trains run every 10-15 minutes except late nights. A roundtrip is $4.50.

Miami Beach Allow at least 3 hours between connections due to the possibility of heavy traffic on the highways between the beach and the mainland. A taxi to the beach should take approximately 22-27 minutes and will cost $35 (flat rate) if going south of 63rd Street. For reference, South Beach and most of the tourist spots are south of 23rd Street. Consider taking the 150 Miami Beach Airport Express bus from the airport to the beach. It is a 31-minute ride from the airport to the Lincoln Road Mall and buses run every 20 minutes. A roundtrip is $4.50.

Posts from 2015-2017 have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.

Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:41 am
  #106  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CUR
Posts: 2,170
Originally Posted by alhcfp
I have not been doing a lot of flying lately.

International AA to International AA connecting MIA.

Is luggage claim at MIA or checked through?

THANKS
Checked through.

You'll have to go through immigration, but can walk straight through to connecting security and back into the concourse.
Djokison is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:32 am
  #107  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 146
Hi Im flying in with Air Maroc to Miami but need to go to Orlando. The flight arrives 8:10pm and the only flight I found out of Miami to Orlando after is at 9:56pm departure from American Airlines

i dont know what terminal Maroc will arrive, am a Us citizen with global entry.

would this be enough time to get bags clear immigration and then check in to AA flight .

these are separate tickets under two different locators.

Thanks
joogle is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:42 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: AA PPro
Posts: 631
Originally Posted by joogle
Hi Im flying in with Air Maroc to Miami but need to go to Orlando. The flight arrives 8:10pm and the only flight I found out of Miami to Orlando after is at 9:56pm departure from American Airlines

i dont know what terminal Maroc will arrive, am a Us citizen with global entry.

would this be enough time to get bags clear immigration and then check in to AA flight .

these are separate tickets under two different locators.

Thanks
With Global Entry and Pre-check that shouldn't be a problem, especially that late at night. Waiting for your bag should be the longest part.
HiAperture is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:51 am
  #109  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,913
Originally Posted by HiAperture
With Global Entry and Pre-check that shouldn't be a problem, especially that late at night. Waiting for your bag should be the longest part.
Who does the bag handling for MAROC? At least on AA waits of one hour for bags are not uncommon. The OP should still make it, however, these are on 2 separate tickets. OP should mobile check in for the MCO flight ahead of time. If he/she misses that MCO flight AA is not obligated to re-accommodate them the next day (although they might be willing to put the OP on standby for the next day, lodging would be on the OP).
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:11 am
  #110  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 5,939
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Who does the bag handling for MAROC? At least on AA waits of one hour for bags are not uncommon. The OP should still make it, however, these are on 2 separate tickets. OP should mobile check in for the MCO flight ahead of time. If he/she misses that MCO flight AA is not obligated to re-accommodate them the next day (although they might be willing to put the OP on standby for the next day, lodging would be on the OP).
FWIW - In the case of a misconnect MIA-MCO, I would drive versus wait until the next day for a very short flight. About a 3.5-hour drive at that time of night.
Global321 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:02 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Who does the bag handling for MAROC? At least on AA waits of one hour for bags are not uncommon. The OP should still make it, however, these are on 2 separate tickets. OP should mobile check in for the MCO flight ahead of time. If he/she misses that MCO flight AA is not obligated to re-accommodate them the next day (although they might be willing to put the OP on standby for the next day, lodging would be on the OP).

I looked at the terminal Air MAROC comes in at Miami it is Terminal E with baggage claim it saying Terminal D International.

I believe right after Terminal E immigration, the baggage will be right there at D. American Airlines from what I know out of Miami to Orlando will be out of D. I am hoping I can pick up the bags, go upstairs and check in the bags on that ticket.

The ticket cost $80 one way and I have a party of 4 with I believe 2 or 3 bags which I plan on checking through the AA kiosk but I do plan on checking in to the flight right when I board MAROC as I should be within 24 hour window to check-in.

I am hoping it arriving at 8:10pm and AA leaving 9:50pm will give enough time as I will have global entry for immigration and tsa precheck for boarding -- but you are right baggage handling would be the main wait.

I am thinking of just gambling with this route as the ticket I bought last night is not refundable/etc. -- I was just trying to avoid the driving from MIA to Orlando - but I guess I will make that as a backup and just do a car reservation in case.
joogle is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:12 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by joogle
I looked at the terminal Air MAROC comes in at Miami it is Terminal E with baggage claim it saying Terminal D International.

I believe right after Terminal E immigration, the baggage will be right there at D. American Airlines from what I know out of Miami to Orlando will be out of D. I am hoping I can pick up the bags, go upstairs and check in the bags on that ticket.

The ticket cost $80 one way and I have a party of 4 with I believe 2 or 3 bags which I plan on checking through the AA kiosk but I do plan on checking in to the flight right when I board MAROC as I should be within 24 hour window to check-in.

I am hoping it arriving at 8:10pm and AA leaving 9:50pm will give enough time as I will have global entry for immigration and tsa precheck for boarding -- but you are right baggage handling would be the main wait.

I am thinking of just gambling with this route as the ticket I bought last night is not refundable/etc. -- I was just trying to avoid the driving from MIA to Orlando - but I guess I will make that as a backup and just do a car reservation in case.
Bag cut off time will be 9:10 PM. So you will have an hour to pick up your bag and recheck it. Global entry doesnt really speed up bag delivery unfortunately. Thats kinda tight and you are risking losing 80x4
gateH15 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:17 pm
  #113  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,153
Originally Posted by joogle
I looked at the terminal Air MAROC comes in at Miami it is Terminal E with baggage claim it saying Terminal D International.

I believe right after Terminal E immigration, the baggage will be right there at D. American Airlines from what I know out of Miami to Orlando will be out of D. I am hoping I can pick up the bags, go upstairs and check in the bags on that ticket.

The ticket cost $80 one way and I have a party of 4 with I believe 2 or 3 bags which I plan on checking through the AA kiosk but I do plan on checking in to the flight right when I board MAROC as I should be within 24 hour window to check-in.

I am hoping it arriving at 8:10pm and AA leaving 9:50pm will give enough time as I will have global entry for immigration and tsa precheck for boarding -- but you are right baggage handling would be the main wait.

I am thinking of just gambling with this route as the ticket I bought last night is not refundable/etc. -- I was just trying to avoid the driving from MIA to Orlando - but I guess I will make that as a backup and just do a car reservation in case.
As mentioned above that timing should be fine, bags are definitely the unknown but you still should be ok. When you exit customs/immigration, there should be an AA re-check desk just past this point, if so you can easily drop your bags there and they will be re-tagged to MCO. If not just walk up to the main AA check-in area, as you said.

Yea, since you've already bought the ticket this is an easy gamble, you shouldn't have any problem.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:50 pm
  #114  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,913
MIA/MCO flights IME seem to be chronically delayed and some of the flights with the most drama involved. All for what is about 35 minutes flight time.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:17 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10
I-D-I connection

Hi All,

I recently booked a flight from PTY (Panama City) - MIA - LAX and then onward to HKG, all (including the flight to HKG) on one AA booking/ticket.

I realised my connection time is extremely short at MIA - 95 minutes meaning that this is literally MCT... Previously I have transferred I-I and I-D via DFW quite a few times and it was surprisingly always a very fast (there was once I did the whole process under 20 minutes) and pleasant experience so I wasn't too worried until I read this thread about MIA! This is the first time I transfer via MIA as PTY doesn't fly to DFW. Needless to say if I fail this connection, the subsequent impact will be really bad as I need to connect to HKG at LAX...

I don't have GE or pre-Check and I am not a US citizen. I have a US B1/B2 visa and previously I have used the APC in ORD and DFW, but I just checked the official website and it seems I am not eligible to use them (not available to US visa holders?) which is strange as I am positively sure I have used them before.

I will be travelling in Business/First cabin throughout this itinerary so that means hopefully I am the one of the first off the flight - I am (relatively) fit and can run if required too. The flight inbound from PTY lands at 6pm and outbound at 735pm (95 minutes!). I am also an OW sapphire but not sure this will have any additional value as I am already in Business.

So would much appreciate your guidance on:

- Is this a crazy idea?
- Check-in luggage: I currently plan to have checked-in luggage but I may be able to go without checked-in luggage - will this help?
- Express Connection envelope: when I used DFW before, there was one time where my inbound QF flight was late and I was handed an orange "Express Connection" envelope with my boarding pass at the arrival gate so I was through all formalities within 15-20 minutes (there was special queue for those who hold that envelope). Do they do that in MIA?
- Any other suggestions/guidance that can help me to connect in MIA?
- How good is AA service in MIA if I miss the connection, for e.g. will they put me on a CX flight via EWR/BOS?

As I plan to work straight after I arrive in HKG, this itinerary, although seemingly risky, is the "best" in terms of timing (27 hours from PTY to HKG), so I would much appreciate your guidance on this... I do however feel like the white rabbit experimenting the MCT in MIA (and happy to report the result!)...

Thanks a lot for your help!
RALcobet is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:10 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 5,939
Originally Posted by RALcobet
Hi All,

I recently booked a flight from PTY (Panama City) - MIA - LAX and then onward to HKG, all (including the flight to HKG) on one AA booking/ticket.

I realised my connection time is extremely short at MIA - 95 minutes meaning that this is literally MCT... Previously I have transferred I-I and I-D via DFW quite a few times and it was surprisingly always a very fast (there was once I did the whole process under 20 minutes) and pleasant experience so I wasn't too worried until I read this thread about MIA! This is the first time I transfer via MIA as PTY doesn't fly to DFW. Needless to say if I fail this connection, the subsequent impact will be really bad as I need to connect to HKG at LAX...

I don't have GE or pre-Check and I am not a US citizen. I have a US B1/B2 visa and previously I have used the APC in ORD and DFW, but I just checked the official website and it seems I am not eligible to use them (not available to US visa holders?) which is strange as I am positively sure I have used them before.

I will be travelling in Business/First cabin throughout this itinerary so that means hopefully I am the one of the first off the flight - I am (relatively) fit and can run if required too. The flight inbound from PTY lands at 6pm and outbound at 735pm (95 minutes!). I am also an OW sapphire but not sure this will have any additional value as I am already in Business.

So would much appreciate your guidance on:

- Is this a crazy idea?
- Check-in luggage: I currently plan to have checked-in luggage but I may be able to go without checked-in luggage - will this help?
- Express Connection envelope: when I used DFW before, there was one time where my inbound QF flight was late and I was handed an orange "Express Connection" envelope with my boarding pass at the arrival gate so I was through all formalities within 15-20 minutes (there was special queue for those who hold that envelope). Do they do that in MIA?
- Any other suggestions/guidance that can help me to connect in MIA?
- How good is AA service in MIA if I miss the connection, for e.g. will they put me on a CX flight via EWR/BOS?

As I plan to work straight after I arrive in HKG, this itinerary, although seemingly risky, is the "best" in terms of timing (27 hours from PTY to HKG), so I would much appreciate your guidance on this... I do however feel like the white rabbit experimenting the MCT in MIA (and happy to report the result!)...

Thanks a lot for your help!
Barring delays, which could jam up anyone, I think you are going to be fine. The potential checked bag can be a blocker. Waiting for a bag can eat significant time. (You would have to pick up your bag in MIA as you flying I-D-I.)

As for customs, there is a FC line for security, but not for customs. The lines can be long. I do not believe AA will help you directly to get to the front of the line at customs. However, you can use APC at Miami. (APC kiosks can be utilized by U.S. citizens, U.S. legal permanent residents, Canadian citizens, travelers utilizing ESTA (Visa Waiver Program), and travelers entering with a B1/B2 or D visa.)

If you misconnect, AA will rereoute/rebook you. You can certainly suggest connections in NYC, but it is up to them.

Net, net, if you don't check a bag and use APC, I think you will have as good a shot at making it as any of us, even those of us with GE.
Global321 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:25 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego
Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Posts: 1,222
Originally Posted by Global321
Barring delays, which could jam up anyone, I think you are going to be fine. The potential checked bag can be a blocker. Waiting for a bag can eat significant time. (You would have to pick up your bag in MIA as you flying I-D-I.)

As for customs, there is a FC line for security, but not for customs. The lines can be long. I do not believe AA will help you directly to get to the front of the line at customs. However, you can use APC at Miami. (APC kiosks can be utilized by U.S. citizens, U.S. legal permanent residents, Canadian citizens, travelers utilizing ESTA (Visa Waiver Program), and travelers entering with a B1/B2 or D visa.)

If you misconnect, AA will rereoute/rebook you. You can certainly suggest connections in NYC, but it is up to them.

Net, net, if you don't check a bag and use APC, I think you will have as good a shot at making it as any of us, even those of us with GE.
Doesnt MIA support ITI (international to international) connections where there is no need to pick up bags and clear customs?
Reetmafreen is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:19 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CUR
Posts: 2,170
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Doesnt MIA support ITI (international to international) connections where there is no need to pick up bags and clear customs?
Yes, but this isnt ITI. OP is connecting to LAX, which is domestic.
Djokison is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:54 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by RALcobet
Hi All,

I recently booked a flight from PTY (Panama City) - MIA - LAX and then onward to HKG, all (including the flight to HKG) on one AA booking/ticket.

I realised my connection time is extremely short at MIA - 95 minutes meaning that this is literally MCT... Previously I have transferred I-I and I-D via DFW quite a few times and it was surprisingly always a very fast (there was once I did the whole process under 20 minutes) and pleasant experience so I wasn't too worried until I read this thread about MIA! This is the first time I transfer via MIA as PTY doesn't fly to DFW. Needless to say if I fail this connection, the subsequent impact will be really bad as I need to connect to HKG at LAX...

I don't have GE or pre-Check and I am not a US citizen. I have a US B1/B2 visa and previously I have used the APC in ORD and DFW, but I just checked the official website and it seems I am not eligible to use them (not available to US visa holders?) which is strange as I am positively sure I have used them before.

I will be travelling in Business/First cabin throughout this itinerary so that means hopefully I am the one of the first off the flight - I am (relatively) fit and can run if required too. The flight inbound from PTY lands at 6pm and outbound at 735pm (95 minutes!). I am also an OW sapphire but not sure this will have any additional value as I am already in Business.

So would much appreciate your guidance on:

- Is this a crazy idea?
- Check-in luggage: I currently plan to have checked-in luggage but I may be able to go without checked-in luggage - will this help?
- Express Connection envelope: when I used DFW before, there was one time where my inbound QF flight was late and I was handed an orange "Express Connection" envelope with my boarding pass at the arrival gate so I was through all formalities within 15-20 minutes (there was special queue for those who hold that envelope). Do they do that in MIA?
- Any other suggestions/guidance that can help me to connect in MIA?
- How good is AA service in MIA if I miss the connection, for e.g. will they put me on a CX flight via EWR/BOS?

As I plan to work straight after I arrive in HKG, this itinerary, although seemingly risky, is the "best" in terms of timing (27 hours from PTY to HKG), so I would much appreciate your guidance on this... I do however feel like the white rabbit experimenting the MCT in MIA (and happy to report the result!)...

Thanks a lot for your help!
i go through Miami all the time on a B1/B2 visa and everyone is required to use APC. Whether youre first of the flight or not isnt usually the issue, the issue is how many other international flights are landing at the same time. For me its been anywhere from 10 minutes to about 45 minutes to an hour to clear immigration. It used to be worse and its been a huge improvement.

I wouldnt check a bag really but if immigration takes long, your bag will be there waiting, but if its not youre the one who will do the waiting.

once you go through Customs, which used to be a nightmare but they got smarter, you have to go through security again, depending on how much time you have, they can probably let you do that quickly.

Miami is an American hub, so youll have plenty of aa help. Even once you clear customs theres a customer service area for any missed connections.

95 minutes should generally be ok but yeah sometimes three or four flights from Latin American and another aa flight from Europe land around the same time and it can be a long line.

Other thing that might work in your favor is that if your aa flight from PTY leaves on time, youll land about 20-30 minutes before the official published arrival time, because thats the game AA likes to play
Eringi is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:53 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego
Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Posts: 1,222
Originally Posted by Djokison
Yes, but this isnt ITI. OP is connecting to LAX, which is domestic.
Oops. See that now. I was confusing the previous posters Air Maroc inbound and the current posters PTY flight.

That will Ill teach me to skim when using a crappy satellite Internet connection and flipping between multiple topics/windows on multiple forums at the same time waiting for each one to load whilst reading another.
Reetmafreen is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.