Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA Guide: JFK / New York JFK Int Airport, MCT / Connection (pre-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to JFK / New York City John F. Kennedy International Airport - Connection, MCT, etc.

Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Check-in times as of March 2016 Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

If you’re beginning travel from any of the airports below, the check-in time is longer:

Departing from: Check-in must be completed by:
(minutes before scheduled departure time)
  • Caracas, Venezuela (CCS) 90 minutes
  • Dublin, Ireland (DUB) 75 minutes
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) 75 minutes
  • Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR) 90 minutes
  • St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT) 90 minutes
Link to JFK / New York airport website

Link to aa.com JFK / New York airport page

Ticket counters
Main Terminal 8
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Peculiarities: JFK is a congested airport that can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic, with congested air space including EWR, JFK, LGA. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide. Terminals transfers are almost entirely landside, using the free airport "AirTrain" trains. Note: JFK finished Runway 4 Left - 22 Right runway renewal at the end of September of 2015.

Note: Jan 2016 TSA reps stated TSA PreCheck for Terminal 8 will be closed in the mornings and only open in the afternoons.

JFK Airport Map

American Airlines Terminal 8 Map

AA Minimum Connecting Times (MCT) at JFK
(currently incomplete)

Storage at JFK
Storage available by Arrivals in Terminals 1, 4, 8. See website for prices, locations, and times.

WARNING: WRONG INFORMATION AHEAD

UNDER CONSTRUCTION - INCORRECT INFORMATION AHEAD

Admirals Clubs:

Dining, Shopping

On-Airport hotels:

Currency exchange:

WiFi / wireless service:

Device Power Charging:

Smoking: No smoking in terminals

Rental cars:
[INDENT]Arriving Passengers:

Departing Passengers:

Animal Relief Areas:

Parking

Disability Parking: see

Cell phone lot ()

Local transportation

Public transport

Metro

Shared Vans:

Taxi:

Is there anything to do at (airport)?

Do I have time to go to (town)?

Contributors to this thread include: handle;

Other resources
  • Link to AA Flyer Guide wiki: Minimum Connecting Times

• Link to AA Lounge Dashboard (guide to AA and other lounges)

• Link to FlyerTalk city guide?
Updated (date) - (updated)

Operating terminals and gates

AA operates flights out of terminals .... (US and Alaska)[/hl].

ETC. UNDER CONSTRUCTION
  • Terminal A is the old international terminal, used for domestic flights (see TRIP note)
  • Terminal B is usually used for regional (American Eagle branded) flights (see TRIP note)
  • Terminal C is usually used for domestic flights
  • Terminal D is the international terminal; most AA international flights depart here, as well as all partner and Lufthansa international flights
  • Terminal E is used currently by *US and Alaska (and others) (see TRIP note)
* may be subject to change

[IMG]insert airport terminal graphic link[/IMG]
DFW American Airlines Terminals Map:

Getting from concourse to concourse

Landside, one can use the terminal link blue and green vans (see below), but it's faster and easier to use skylink.

Airside elevated bidirectional Sky Link is the easiest way to get around
  • bi-directional system connects all five terminals and is the shortest route to your stop while inside of security.
  • Free service
  • Trains arrive every two minutes
  • Average ride time of five minutes
  • Maximum ride time of nine minutes between farthest points
  • Easy access to other terminals’ shops and restaurants
Station escalator/elevator locations:
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D: Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E: Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32
Walking between terminals
  • A-C and B-D (international) are connected at the ends by departures level walkways; the people mover belts on these walkways have been out of service at least for months. Estimate a five to ten minute walk between A and C, B and D.
  • A and B are connected by overhead walkways (escalator or lift / elevator). This walkway is serviced by people mover belts.
  • C and D (international) are connected by overhead walkways (escalator or lift / elevator). This walkway is serviced by people mover belts.
There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles.

Landside free interterminal transportation

Terminal Link's blue and greens vans arrive every 10 minutes and will transfer you between all terminals once outside of security.
  • Free service
  • No ticket or pass of any kind is needed to board
  • Service available between 5:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
  • To request van pick-up between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m., call 972 574 LINK (5465)
  • All vans are wheelchair accessible
Two easy-to-locate green pick-up/drop-off areas are located outside baggage claim areas of each terminal. Follow the Terminal Link signs to reach the nearest pick-up/drop-off area:
Terminal A
Entry A10 serving Gates A1-18
Entry A24 serving Gates A18-39
Terminal B
Entry B12 serving Gates B12-B25
Entry B25 serving Gates B25-B49
Terminal C
Entry C12 serving Gates 1-14
Entry C24 serving Gates 15-25
Terminal D
Entry at Lower Level D17 serving Gates D1-D22
Entry at Lower Level D24 serving Gates D23-D40
Terminal E
Entry E7 serving Gates E1-E10
Entry E31 serving Gates E31-34

Check-in and ticketing at DFW and check in times Link

Flagship Check-in: NO

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate

To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than fifteen minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:
  • Minimum check-in is at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure in most locations
  • Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure

For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:
  • Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires, Dublin and Maracaibo, Venezuela

• Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure
Minimum time to check baggage

To help us get your bag on the same flight with you, present your bag to an airline representative for check-in no later than the cutoff time.

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:
Check bags at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at DFW
For flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:
Check bags at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure
Time to baggage delivery: minimum 20 minutes

AA Ticket counters Link

Terminal A
A8 - A15: full service and self-service check-in Daily: 4 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
A16 - A23: full service and self-service check-in Daily: 4:30 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
Terminal B
B20 Daily: 5 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
B30 Daily: 5 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Terminal C
C2 - C15: self-service check-in Daily: 4 a.m. - 8:45 p.m.
C16 - C25: Full service and self-service check-in Daily: 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
C26 - C39: Self-service check-in Daily: 4 a.m. - 8:45 p.m.
Terminal D
D1 - D18: Self-service check-in Daily: 4 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
D20 - D40: Full service and self-service check-in Daily: 4 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Terminal E (US Airways)
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Security at DFW

Link to DFW Airport Security information (including checkpoints and hours))

Note: coming out from immigration and customs, you may find yourself near the D22 and possible lengthy queues through TSA security. As swag says in a post, "D has multiple checkpoints, all easily walkable, and any ticketed passenger can use any one of them. If you find yourself facing a long line at D22, it may be worthwhile to walk down to D18 or D30.

Link to AA Flyer Guide wiki DFW Security

PriorityAAccess lines available at Terminals A, C and D.

Minimum and reasonable connection and check-in times at DFW

Q. What are minimum check-in time requirements at DFW?

AA suggests arriving a minimum of one hour prior to demostic departures if departing domestically (including Hawai'i, Puerto Rico and the U. S. Virgin Islands) if one has no baggage to check; ninety minutes if one must check baggage; and two hours prior to international departures.

Additionally, AA requires passengers be checked in at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at DFW and "Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure" (sic).

Q. What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?

The minimum connect time at DFW, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. International to domestic or international is comfortably done in 2:00 or longer (not the official MCT).

Q. If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?

There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) and there are Global Entry kiosks and Scott cut to Global Entry queues.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area.

Proceed to the kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside (see the "DFW Security" section). Your international departure will be from Terminal D, also your international arrival terminal.

See DFW / Dallas Ft. Worth Connection & Times - Domestic & International (consolidated)[/quote]

DFW dining, services and shopping

Lounges: please see the Lounge Dashboard "sticky" for further lounges information at DFW

Admirals Clubs:
  • Terminal A: Admirals Club across from gate A-24
  • Terminal B: Admirals Club Service Center across from gates B5 and 6
  • Terminal C: Admirals Club across from gates C-19 and20
  • Terminal D: Admirals Club, and new Premium lounge near gate D-23; Centurion Lounge take lift opposite gate D-17
  • Terminal E: Delta Sky Club / Priority Pass
Dining, Shopping Link to DFW services, dining guide and interactive map

On-Airport hotels:
Grand Hyatt DFW (landside, Terminal D)

Hyatt Regency DFW (landside, Terminal C)

Minute Suites (hourly rental private suites) - D23
AA Employee Store: Link: (open to the public) Shop for AA ware, baggage, memorabilia, etc. at Gate C-2

Currency exchange: Travelex at D11, D22 (Outside Security), D24, D36, E8, Intl Re-Check.

WiFi / wireless service: Free AT&T Wireless Hot Spot throughout airport

Device Power Charging:
DFW Airport Travel Lounge - B28, C8, C27, E8
Free Power Stations - A10, C6, C20, C27, C35, D21, D23, D30, D40, E10, E37
Guest Services Center - B14
Smoking: No smoking in terminals other than
Terminal A Admirals Club smoking room D Club smoking room is closed)
Rental cars: The Rental Car Center is located at 2424 E. 38th St, DFW Airport, TX, near the south entrance of the Airport and is served by 10 companies. Link.
Arriving Passengers: After collecting your baggage, follow the Rental Car signs to the designated pick-up area on the lower level of the terminal. From there, board the Rental Car shuttle bus. Buses run 24 hours a day, depart every five minutes and reach the Rental Car Center in approximately 10 minutes.

Departing Passengers: Before your departing flight, please return your vehicle at the Rental Car Center. For transportation from the facility to your terminal, board the Rental Car Shuttle. The Rental Car Shuttle runs 24 hours a day and departs every five minutes from the facility.
Animal Relief Areas:
Terminal A: Lower level grassy areas.

Terminal B: Lower level grassy areas.

Terminal C: Lower level grassy areas.

Terminal D: Lower level, outside the D30/D31 baggage claim area by the parking garage and at D18.

DFW Parking

There are Valet, Terminal, Express and Remote parking options. See here for options, pricing and interactive guides.

Disability Parking: see Link

Cell phone lot (none)

DFW transportation

Public transport

Metro
DART Orangle Line to Dallas. Take rom entry near Terminal A, A-10

TRE / Trinity Rail Express to Dallas and Ct. Worth. NO SERVICE SUNDAYS. Take free bus to Remote south Parking; take connecting bus to CentrePort/DFW Airport station.
Shared Vans:
City Shuttle, L.L.C. shared van service 1.240.760.1998

Go Yellow Checker Airport Shuttle shared vans to Ft. Worth hotels. Board at upper level roadway marked areas.

SuperShuttle shared van service 972.456.3128
Taxi: at every terminal; see DFW Taxi Guide for prices, etc.

Is there anything to do at DFW?

You can visit the

C. R. Smith Museum (AA history, DC-3 Flagship Detroit, gift shop)
4601 Texas HWY 360 at FAA Rd
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 9:00-5:00, Sunday 1:00 - 5:00; Closed Monday
Cost: $7.00, $4.00 seniors 65 or +, students w/ ID, children 2-17, military
Getting there: taxi; (unofficial: take crew shuttle if space available to Conference and Training a Center, get dropped at the Museum). See FT DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Do I have time to go to Dallas?

A minimum of six hours would be suggested for "going to town".

Contributors to this thread include: aamilesslave;

Last updated: 17 August 2015 (JDiver)

Other resources
  • Link to AA FAQ: Will I make my connection?

• Link to AA Flyer Guide wiki: Minimum Connecting Times

• Link to AA Lounge Dashboard (guide to AA and other lounges)

• Link: to DFW connection guide in Texas forum

• Link: to DFW layover guide in Texas Forum

• Link: to DFW Employee Store (open to the public) Shop for AA ware, baggage, memorabilia, etc. at Gate C-2

Updated 7 Sep 2015 - JDiver
Updated 6 Feb 2016 - hartlogan - redacated all DFW info to eliminate confusion

Print Wikipost

[Archived] AA Guide: JFK / New York JFK Int Airport, MCT / Connection (pre-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:07 am

Programs: QFF
JFK customs and connection times

How long does immigration and customs normally take at JFK T7?

I’m connecting from CX830 (arrives T7 1310) to AA3944 (departs T8 1540).
They’ll let you book the two flights together so the connection time is valid, but I had to book them on different tickets (CX830 is part of a DONE3, AA3944 is part of a JFK-BWI return ticket).

Am I likely to have any problems in New York?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Himeno

They’ll let you book the two flights together so the connection time is valid, but I had to book them on different tickets (CX830 is part of a DONE3, AA3944 is part of a JFK-BWI return ticket).

Are you US Citizen / Permanent Resident?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Himeno

Himeno,

CX830 is the only international flight that arrives in T7 at that time, so you should be fine. If you are at the back of the plane you might be in for a short wait, but even then you will be fine. T7 bag claim is pretty efficient (granted I have the priority tags), and customs shouldn't be a problem unless you get secondary searched. 2.5 hours is more than enough time.

Cheers,
jumbojet
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by snod08
Are you US Citizen / Permanent Resident?
Australian passport.
ETSA is valid until Feb.
APIS data logged months ago.

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
Himeno,

CX830 is the only international flight that arrives in T7 at that time, so you should be fine.
That's good to hear.
If you are at the back of the plane you might be in for a short wait, but even then you will be fine.
It's a DONE3. I'm down for 12A on the CX 77A and 6A on the Eagle ER4.
T7 bag claim is pretty efficient (granted I have the priority tags),
So T7 baggage is better then T8 baggage? I have a J seat on CX and my next flight (NRT-SIN tomorrow) will get me to QFF Gold. I should have priority tags.
and customs shouldn't be a problem unless you get secondary searched. 2.5 hours is more than enough time.
Only problem I've ever had entering the US was a few years ago in BOS. The CBP agent manning the line didn't like the idea that I couldn't find the invitation to my friends wedding and had the agent at the desk send me to secondary. The people down in secondary had no idea why and couldn't find any reason why I wouldn't be able to get in.

Cheers,
jumbojet
So no problems likely? That's good to know
Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Must one re-enter security when transferring between terminals in JFK via the AirTrain? I've never been to JFK before.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Whenever you exit landside, you must reprocess security to get airside.

From JFK Airport (link)

"Air Train JFK has 3 routes:

Howard Beach route
The Howard Beach route ends at the Howard Beach-JFK subway station. It stops at Lefferts Boulevard (connecting transit services - B15 bus) for shuttle buses to long term parking lots A and B and to airport employee parking.

Connecting transit services: A subway train, Q11 bus

Jamaica Station route
The Jamaica route ends at Jamaica Station on the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) next to the Sutphin Boulevard/Archer Avenue-JFK subway station (to Brooklyn and Manhattan or Queens).

Connecting transit services: E, J and Z subway trains, Q6, Q8, Q9, Q20A, Q20B, Q25/Q34, Q30, Q31, Q40, Q43, Q44, Q60 and Q65 buses

Both routes make a counterclockwise loop through the airport and stop at each terminal.

Airline Terminal route
The Airline Terminal route connects 6 terminal stations (Terminal 1, 2-3, 4, 5-6, 7 and 8-9). Route operates in the opposite direction, making a clockwise loop.

All JFK AirTrain stations are wheelchair accessible. Howard Beach subway and Jamaica Long Island Railroad stations are wheelchair accessible too."

(My emphases.)

Air Train route
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver
Route operates in the opposite direction, making a clockwise loop.
I was at JFK yesterday, and used AirTrain for the first time for a departure (had always taken a cab before)... Going from Jamaica to T8, I didn't want to make the full loop (starting at T1, to T2-3, etc), so I got off at T1 and waited for the terminal-only train on the opposite track. However, this train was also running in the same direction. So I got on the other train, and I had to go T1, T2-3, etc anyway. Any ideas why it was running in the same direction as the Jamaica & Howard Beach trains yesterday?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes they do that just to screw with people.

(Or so it feels like).

I was going to add to the above discussion about the counter-clockwise and clockwise loops that they are based on normal operations, and sometimes (often?) the trains are not running in normal operations, particularly during off-peak periods like late-night or mid-day or weekends.

FWIW, I think the signage is absolutely terrible for the Airtrain. I'm constantly helping tourists (and even some locals!) figure out how to get to their connection. There should be a sign at the bottom (or top) of the escalator saying for these stations take the train on the left, and for these stations take the train on the right. It needs to be digital because obviously things can change during irregular ops.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Sometimes they do that just to screw with people.

(Or so it feels like).

I was going to add to the above discussion about the counter-clockwise and clockwise loops that they are based on normal operations, and sometimes (often?) the trains are not running in normal operations, particularly during off-peak periods like late-night or mid-day or weekends.

FWIW, I think the signage is absolutely terrible for the Airtrain. I'm constantly helping tourists (and even some locals!) figure out how to get to their connection. There should be a sign at the bottom (or top) of the escalator saying for these stations take the train on the left, and for these stations take the train on the right. It needs to be digital because obviously things can change during irregular ops.
The directions do indeed change during weekends - very annoying as you never quite know what you're going to get.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Although I know I've walked it in the past, I believe that it no longer is. (I suspect the demolition of the old T8 is what screwed things up for those of us who prefer to walk.)
How did you get across the JFK expressway?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audio-nut
How did you get across the JFK expressway?
I've been wondering about this for a while. Never got the report back from a November 2009 attempt in that thread, although I guess the post #10 in this thread from back in February could serve as admission that it's not currently a viable walk.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by Microwave
I was at JFK yesterday, and used AirTrain for the first time for a departure, so I got off at T1 and waited for the terminal-only train on the opposite track. However, this train was also running in the same direction. So I got on the other train, and I had to go T1, T2-3, etc anyway. Any ideas why it was running in the same direction as the Jamaica & Howard Beach trains yesterday?
When they add more trains (for the "All-Terminals) as the day gets busier, they need to have the trains running in same direction so they do not run into each other. Also, when they are working on the tracks, they will have the Jamaica and Howard Beach trains use the "All-Terminal" tracks.

Very annoying especially when you get off T-1, run over to the other side, see it going in the clock-wise direction, then when you get halfway to the T-8, it stops, then starts going in the opposite direction (the way you just came)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
I was at JFK yesterday, and used AirTrain for the first time for a departure (had always taken a cab before)... Going from Jamaica to T8, I didn't want to make the full loop (starting at T1, to T2-3, etc), so I got off at T1 and waited for the terminal-only train on the opposite track. However, this train was also running in the same direction. So I got on the other train, and I had to go T1, T2-3, etc anyway. Any ideas why it was running in the same direction as the Jamaica & Howard Beach trains yesterday?

The transfer at T1 to get over to T8 quickly is well known. I just did it about an hour ago. However, sometimes it doesn't work. For example, last weekend, track 2 was out of service on Sunday morning for maintenance, so I had to take the Howard Beach train all the way around to all the terminals.

There doesn't seem to be a clear pattern to when the inner loop is out of service or operating in an irregular manner. Remember also that AirTrain is NOT operated by MTA, but rather by a German contractor, Bombardier Transportation, on behalf of the Port Authority.

Last edited by ESpen36; Jul 25, 2010 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Swiss contractor? So, it's not Bombardier Inc BBD.B (TSX) of Canada?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, WN, DL
Originally Posted by vxmike
Must one re-enter security when transferring between terminals in JFK via the AirTrain? I've never been to JFK before.
Other than a connector between T2 & T3 (all Delta), there are no secure connections between terminals at JFK. It's a moot point for most customers, since if you arrive internationally, you have to re-clear security because you've had access to your (or someone else's) checked luggage in order to clear Customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.