Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please see the current thread here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
The business class lav is in front of business.
Oh wait, you're right. I was trying to fit my memories into the seatguru map, and they weren't quite taking.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
MXP-JFK delays 3hr40min; EC261 applies? Any recourse?

Fellow FTers,

Today I was traveling on AA199 MXP-JFK; the inbound flight went mechanical and my flight was scheduled to delay 4 hours. But based on actual time, the arrival time was only delayed 3 hour 40 min. In this case, does EC261 apply? (or is EC261 based on scheduled landing time or actual landing time?)

If not, any other recourse do I have?

Thanks!

MXP-JFK
Scheduled Departure: 9AM
Actual Departure: 12:46PM
Scheduled Arrival: 1:10PM
Actual Arrival: 4:50PM
Delayed 220 minutes
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The actual delay is what matters. With a delay between 3-4 hours, you should be entitled to EUR300 compensation under EU261 ( 50% of the EUR600 which would have been applicable at 4 hours )
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The actual delay is what matters. With a delay between 3-4 hours, you should be entitled to EUR300 compensation under EU261 ( 50% of the EUR600 which would have been applicable at 4 hours )
Thanks! Just sent an email to the customer relations. Let's see what I will get.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The delay for compensation would be the arrival time.
Good luck on quickly getting the money.
BA quickly transferred my $822+ (600 Euro) to the bank after canceling my TLV-LHR flight on Feb 15.
I ended up getting to my destination 8 hours later, which wasn't a real issue, so I was happy to get $822 back for a delay on a ticket where the full roundtrip was just over $1000.

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 17, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 am

Just got AA's reply this morning after a full month's review. They offered either 300EUR in check or $800 travel voucher^
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Just got AA's reply this morning after a full month's review. They offered either 300EUR in check or $800 travel voucher^
Congratulations! And, thanks for sharing the denouement.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by keepssmile
They really HAVE improved, as years ago they dragged their feet no matter what and it used to take several letters including at least one registered to finally make them relent. Good for you, but please have a kind thought for ancesters like me who did all the footwork so that you now can enjoy this kind of easy outcome.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Sorry to bring up an old thread - but I didn't see anywhere else worthy to post.

I had a flight delayed 4+ hours and made a EU 261 claim.

In response, I was offered 600 Euro or a $1750 travel voucher. Before I decided - the question I have (and sorry if this is an easy one - but I couldn't find an answer or get a response from AA) - can I use the voucher on multiple reservations - i.e. a ticket for $500, two months later a ticket for $850, six months later a ticket for $400.

Again - sorry if this one is an easy one. I think the answer is yes - just want to confirm with someone who had a 261 voucher before.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but they are a PITA as they are paper. For every reservation you must mail them in at your expense to a place in Florida, and then, in due time, you will get a new voucher with the residual value in the mail, which you then have to mail in for the next ticket, and so on.

Alternatively you can drive it at your cost to a ticket agent at an airport, queue up for service, and pay the $35 (or is it higher now?) "optional" in-person ticket fee.

And, finally, the voucher loses all of its value after a year, although that gets extended (in effect) every time you use it, as the new voucher with the residual value will have a validity of one year from when it was issued.

Last edited by hillrider; May 15, 2014 at 5:16 pm Reason: Obsolete information (sorry!)
Old May 15, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by hillrider
Yes, but they are a PITA as they are paper. For every reservation you must mail them in at your expense to a place in Florida, and then, in due time, you will get a new voucher with the residual value in the mail, which you then have to mail in for the next ticket, and so on.

Alternatively you can drive it at your cost to a ticket agent at an airport, queue up for service, and pay the $35 (or is it higher now?) "optional" in-person ticket fee.

And, finally, the voucher loses all of its value after a year, although that gets extended (in effect) every time you use it, as the new voucher with the residual value will have a validity of one year from when it was issued.
Actually, I thought in-person ticketing fees were waived for voucher issuance?
Old May 15, 2014, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Actually, I thought in-person ticketing fees were waived for voucher issuance?
I thought so too. And that's for the paper voucher. In my experience, those are the kind issued at the airport.

For my EC261 complaints, which obviously happened after being in the airport, they issue evouchers, which are easy to use, like a gift card online. I've had evouchers for several things before. I've only had the crappy paper vouchers if I volunteered for a bump.

I got a series of smaller vouchers, and ended up using all of them at once, so I don't know about the question of residual vouchers.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:59 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Infinion
Update: Got a check from AA for $1568.78 yesterday.
Since they ultimately sent you a check, they didn't need your complete bank acct. profile.
[I allow certain "electronic debits" from my checking account (bill payments, checking cashing, etc.). What would prevent anyone who has the info which aa was asking for about my bank acct., from also making a (fraudulent) "electronic debit"?]
Old May 16, 2014, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
Since they ultimately sent you a check, they didn't need your complete bank acct. profile.
[I allow certain "electronic debits" from my checking account (bill payments, checking cashing, etc.). What would prevent anyone who has the info which aa was asking for about my bank acct., from also making a (fraudulent) "electronic debit"?]
I sent them the info to make an international wire into my account and include the information for the international intermediary. I also used an account that I don't use for everyday transactions, so that it wouldn't be a big deal if something went wrong and I need to shut it down for a while. (Edit: After that, yes, they just sent a check. I don't know why they asked for the info in the first place. I'm glad I had the check though, as the wire would have had a $15 fee at the intermediary bank, was my understanding.)

So no, I don't think they could do a debit from the account. And if they could, it would be easy to trace. The international wire data I gave them, I think, would be relatively useless for a debit, it's the wrong direction.

Anyone that sees one of your checks, or gets access to one of the many domestic companies that may have your account numbers, would have relatively easy access to debit your account. I've never had a problem with it. You're bank should be able to fix anything that happens anyway. I always have a backup account that I can switch to so I can keep paying the bills while the bank sorts thing out.

Last edited by Infinion; May 16, 2014 at 5:48 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
To update: I can confirm that if you select voucher compensation in lieu of the cash payment for an EC 261/2004 claim - it does come in the form of an eVoucher. The EC 261/2004 claim process with American was a pleasant surprise re: its ease and efficiency.

P.S. I love this regulation - my unpleasant return from my last Eurotrip will now fund my next trip (and then some).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.