Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS Airways: 1 cancel, 2 bump, lost luggage, 1 non-existent flight.

Old Oct 15, 15, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

The kind people at reddit.com guided me here to ask my question. You can find my full detailed minute by minute rundown of what happened here: (https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice...ped_flights_1/)

To summarize what I posted there, we were travelling from Ottawa to Liberia, Costa Rica, with 2 layovers.

The first flight out of Ottawa (US Airways) was cancelled due to navigational instrument issues. They rebooked us on United Airlines to reach Miami by 8pm and put us up overnight. They printed the tickets. This flight was overbooked and we were immediately bumped and rebooked again to arrive in Miami around 10pm. This was going through Chicago.

We reached Chicago (our first leg) and found our flight to Miami was overbooked. We went to the United counter and she mentioned the ladies that booked our items again in Ottawa had messed up, cancelled our entire return trip and whatnot. She rebooked us through Houston, where we arrived, were not put up in a hotel. The airline claimed they did not have our luggage, and we then slept on chairs in the airport. We lost an entire day of our trip.

On the way back from Costa Rica, the third leg of our trip never existed as per the Expedia booking. Instead of arriving in Ottawa at around 8pm, we were leaving Philidelphia around that time to arrive much later.

http://www.usairways.com/en-CA/trave...carriage7.html

Under 10.4, are we not allowed cash compensation? They tried sending me a $200 voucher.
Old Oct 15, 15, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This is too long to read, but seems that US did best they could, meal vouchers, hotels, and assigned you to another carrier. UA bumped, but seems they wont respond being a US ticket. Did, at any point, prior to the trip, you thought of buying insurance? This is what insurance is for. Now you have to argue and ask for compensation.

What if you plan a road trip, morning of trip your car wont start, cant fix it quickly, ask to borrow a neighbors car, car wont start, end up renting a car and spend extra money, arrive late. Whose fault, who will compensate you?

I cant say who is responsible, but you booked the ticket through Expedia, they are the ones you should first and foremost complain to. It is a US ticket and they had a mechanical, these things happen, and they accommodated you as best they could. UA, seems to have dropped the ball. The luggage got rerouted too many times and lost in shuffle.

Good luck, as this is where all pertinent parties, Expedia, US/AA, and UA will start pointing fingers at each other. The one thing I will say is that once US reassigned the ticket to UA, it is on UA hands to deal with.
Old Oct 15, 15, 8:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Welcome to Flyertalk USAirwaysProblem, and thanks for posting!

Did you book this through Expedia? What have they said when you contacted them?
Old Oct 15, 15, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did US in Ottawa print a hotel voucher for Miami? How was the promised hotel there communicated to you?

I can see the $200 AA voucher being sent to cover the expense of a hotel you could have arranged on your own in Houston, but that's not where US/AA were expecting you to arrive as they had ticketed you to Miami, and when UA rerouted you they aren't required to honor any US/AA hotel arrangements.

When UA bumped you at ORD, did they offer you IDB compensation? Just one section of the DOT rules:

* If the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to arrive at your destination between one and two hours after your original arrival time (between one and four hours on international flights), the airline must pay you an amount equal to 200% of your one-way fare to your final destination that day, with a $650 maximum.
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...tm#overbooking

As you ended up not flying to MIA, though, have to admit I'm confused how to sort out the compensation. It varies based on delay. Another issue is that both AA and UA have known issues involving the technology involved in endorsing tickets to each other. Is it possible that US booked you on a flight that didn't have any seats to begin with and it wasn't properly ticketed, as the UA agent seemed to suggest? Does US have the same ticketing issues AA has had with UA?
Old Oct 16, 15, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

tom911 - US Airwys did offer a hotel voucher while in Ottawa to a hotel in Miami. We unfortunately never were able to use it. When reaching Houston (where we should have used it) - we were at the airport so long with luggage problems, that our flight was leaving shortly after and a hotel was pointless.

aztimm - I did call Expedia. They claim they are simply a booking agent and that it is the responsibility of US Airways and United. They also claim they have no responsibility over the flight times posted. Apparently responsibility of the flights is transferred when they rebook because "the money is not with them".

arollins - I do have insurance (VISA Infinite). I just had a dreadful situation two years prior that took over 1 year to get compensation. That's my last route.

Any other feedback would be appreciated or if people know what phone numbers I can use to reach actual humans. Seems like I'm being sent through the US Airways Customer Relations email - which sends back templated responses.
Old Oct 16, 15, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by USAirwaysProblem View Post

aztimm - I did call Expedia. They claim they are simply a booking agent and that it is the responsibility of US Airways and United. They also claim they have no responsibility over the flight times posted. Apparently responsibility of the flights is transferred when they rebook because "the money is not with them".
They are right about the outbound, it's not Expedia's fault that the plane had a mechanical issue.

But "On the way back from Costa Rica, the third leg of our trip never existed as per the Expedia booking" would certainly seem to be Expedia's issue.
Old Oct 16, 15, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
"Denied boarding involuntarily" has a specific meaning that is linked to a United States Department of Transportation policy and requires that the flight be oversold. That doesn't apply to either a mechanical issue or a cancelled/nonexistent flight. It might apply to United's bumping you if the delay was sufficient and US didn't mess up when adding you on the United flights, but then United would be paying it I believe since they made the decision to bump you.

Did you ever look at your flight on US Airways' site? I'm wondering if your return flight got cancelled as part of the scheduled changes from the US/AA merger and you got rebooked on something else. Odd that would happen without US notifying you, assuming they had a contact method to reach you.

How would United have been able to tell you your return flights on US/AA were cancelled? The original itinerary was all US or AA, right, or was it Expedia piecing together other airlines as well?
Old Oct 16, 15, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by swag View Post
They are right about the outbound, it's not Expedia's fault that the plane had a mechanical issue.

But "On the way back from Costa Rica, the third leg of our trip never existed as per the Expedia booking" would certainly seem to be Expedia's issue.
Well, if the UA agent is to be believed, the US agents in YOW canceled the entire return trip. So it would seem to me more likely that the problem lies there.

Expedia isn't really the place to expect compensation or resolution. They just sold the ticket. They should be able to help the OP figure out what went wrong, which airline changed the flights around and when, etc - info that OP can then use to demand compensation from the appropriate airline.
Old Oct 16, 15, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
This is a very unfortunate situation. OP, I'm sorry you had to go through it.

My guess as to what happened: For the returning segments, when US pushed your ticket over to UA, the agent at YOW probably made a mistake with exchanging the coupons. It's a very easy mistake to make, especially when pushing the ticket to another airline. When in IRROPS, it's always a good idea to check your reservation on the airline's website afterwards.

As far as UA's IDB, they aren't under any obligation to accept the FIM, so you're probably out of luck on that front. The only compensation you can hope for is from US for the mechanical, and maybe a goodwill voucher for the hotel cost.