Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 15, 16, 7:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 20, 15, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
I received an offer to keep my platinum status thru Feb 2017 for $1,199. I'm only 10,000 from qualifying for platinum and already have reservations booked for more than 10,000 EQP's. I don't think it is worth $1,200 anyway. Since they changed the year to January 31st under the new rules, I'm surprised the email said through February 2017.
I think the Jan 31 change is for the 2018 year.
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:26 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
I received an offer to keep my platinum status thru Feb 2017 for $1,199. I'm only 10,000 from qualifying for platinum and already have reservations booked for more than 10,000 EQP's. I don't think it is worth $1,200 anyway. Since they changed the year to January 31st under the new rules, I'm surprised the email said through February 2017.
Transcon MCE with a connection for GLD would cost you about $120 roundtrip. It would take you 9+ roundtrips to reach PLT from flying, in which case you'll have dumped $1080 just on buying MCE seats. So if you plan on doing flying in the 40k+ mile range in 2016 and always want/need to sit in MCE, it seems like PLT would pay for itself just on free MCE. Not to mention having a higher probability of 500-mile upgrades clearing.

I won't fly if not in MCE/Comfort +/EconomyPlus, and am seriously considering the $1199 to renew PLT (my total EQM for 2015 is going to end up around 24k).
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Not just anybody can walk up and buy this without ever having set foot on an AA aircraft.

This is a program targeted to a specific subset of customers who are falling short of the next level and are willing to pay the incremental out of pocket to get back up. Note that the price to pay it is often more than the price to fly it (MR).
For someone like me who is PLT this year but did very little flying on AA in 2015 (to the tune of 24k miles), the opportunity to buy back PLT for $1199 is tempting. There's no way I could MR the 26k difference for $1199, not even close. The question is whether PLT status in of itself is worth $1199 over GLD, since I could easily MR up to GLD. It seems that if I plan on doing a lot of flying and need confirmed MCE in advance, then I could rack up over $1000 in MCE fees next year if just on GLD status and PLT would pay for itself.
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:37 pm

Programs: WFBF
Had a long stretch of reduced flying this year, and threw a bunch of miles at DL to lock up PM with them for next year. So based on trips already flown and currently booked, I am 226 EQM shy of AA PLT for 2016, though there's at least one more trip not yet booked that will put me very comfortably over the threshold.

And got an email today offering to buy up for $899. For 226 EQM.
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
This offer was given last year. I would assume it's based upon total YTD miles and doesn't take into consideration travel booked for the remainder of 2015. I would think most EXPs like you would just ignore the offer knowing they will hit the 100KEQMs before 12/31.
Trips get cancelled, travel gets pushed off till the new year.. You can't count on booked travel being the same as flown travel (especially if your company has a refundable fare policy -- mine does, which means no one thinks twice about cancelling or moving meetings at any time).
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
LT PLT with 75 segments YTD. No offer, and is it safe to assume that's end of story (other than flying 45 segments in the next 5 weeks)?
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post
Had a long stretch of reduced flying this year, and threw a bunch of miles at DL to lock up PM with them for next year. So based on trips already flown and currently booked, I am 226 EQM shy of AA PLT for 2016, though there's at least one more trip not yet booked that will put me very comfortably over the threshold.

Much as you might think that someone at AA is individually auditing each and every account and adjusting the buy-up amounts depending on the unique circumstances of a situation, I can assure you...they are not.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
Did the offer say if it comes with the 8 SWU's?
I remember paying 200 for a silver trial which eventually led up to where I am today..im torn...I guess i wonder if "buying" the gold status helps me reach status all the sooner like the trial did.... perhaps the credit card is a better deal....
i really do appreciate all the input
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA CK, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Transcon MCE with a connection for GLD would cost you about $120 roundtrip.
This is really the bottom line. GLD benefits (or essentially their equivalents) are easily attainable through multiple alternative methods, including mileage running (easier starting 01/01/2016 on J/F fares) or even credit cards. The real question is whether there is any truly valuable meaning to GLD benefits, which I suppose is an individual decision.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
...is the title of an e-mail I've just received from AA.

"Your American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is set to expire on February 29, 2016, and we want to offer you an opportunity to continue enjoying Executive Platinum benefits through the 2016 membership year.

Act now, and we'll extend your Executive Platinum status for only $1,199. You'll continue to enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more. See a full list of benefits >>

Once you purchase, we'll extend your elite status through February 2017."

Given that I have more than 95k EQM to date, and a 10k+ itinerary with AA booked in a couple of weeks, I think I'll pass. I'm not impressed with the unconditional "your status is set to expire" — I guess it's intended to make people send them the money, whether it's needed or not.
Ditto. I received the same email TODAY, I actually crossed the 100K threshold on Wednesday, not to mention will likely end the year with about 115K. What I would love to know, at what point are we at that they decide to offer this up. I took a 3 day trip to HKG in October for about $850. And while I enjoyed a long weekend with a friend who lives there, I would have spent the addition $300 and bought up rather than spend all those hours in the plane. So do you think if I were at 60K, I would have gotten this offer? It was really hard the past two years making EXP on miles alone, really hard, taking many personal trips on top of my business trips. Sort of annoys me this challenges and boosts offers.
the one year I did lose it sitting at 86K, my colleaguee almost lost his sitting at 35K but got the boost offer to renew. I begged and pleaded but was told no. That was two years ago.
here I've made it already and get this dumb offer What the heck American!!!

Oh, I'm just reading some more of the comments, I can see that what they are charging is based on how many more miles you needed. So I guess if I didn't have that HKG flight in, the offer might have been a thousand dollars more. Okay. now I get it. So i'll just ignore since I'm already there.

Last edited by trekker954; Nov 20, 15 at 3:36 pm
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post

The chart at this link:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteren...RL&title=elite

suggests it should be costing you $699 if you're that close, not $899.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg View Post
Shoot, my offer was $650 to keep gold.

Yeah, no.
Mine was the same. I have the aviators credit card, so the incremental benefit of Gold is simply not worth it. Plus, after an unpleasant experience last night, I'm rethinking whether I will continue to fly AA regularly. I may just start to take the cheapest option.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:28 pm

good catch: the offer is "Secure Platinum status for only $1,199 or Gold status for $399"

I think as much as I want to, ill pass. it is tempting though...
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:29 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by metallo View Post
The email itself doesn't mention SWUs, but there is a link to a full list of benefits, where it states, "You’ll receive 8 systemwide upgrades when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. Upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them."

That statement borders on being deceptive, in my opinion, given the recent changes that were announced to qualifying for status in 2017.

yep--sneaky!!!
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Just got offered "Act now, and we'll boost your status to Gold for only $399"

I'm 3 segments away and found a flight in December to take care of that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: