Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
You're not gonna get much in terms of upgrades with gold.
YMMV- It's all about when and where you fly. I've had good luck as a GLD on my trips around the holidays, and even on some routes Thursday/Sunday. The stickers help relative to UA/DL as not every PLT is listing for an upgrade, and I've yet to miss a <500 comp upgrade since they've introduced them.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Everybody who is on here, for sure. But I think we easily forget how clueless many other travellers, even very frequent ones, can be.
I think if someone is so clueless about their FF status so as to not know if they are going to requalify, they probably aren't likely to drop $1200 to pay for keeping it.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver
As a less frequent flier of American (though that's probably going to change) I got this email and my first thought was "oh, they call their 50k or 75k tier Gold?". Then I saw that this is the 25k tier. For $500. I almost fell out of my chair.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I received an offer to keep my platinum status thru Feb 2017 for $1,199. I'm only 10,000 from qualifying for platinum and already have reservations booked for more than 10,000 EQP's. I don't think it is worth $1,200 anyway. Since they changed the year to January 31st under the new rules, I'm surprised the email said through February 2017.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Sant
Have you looked into the Citi AAdvantage cards? Although you won't get upgrades, you will get the following:
  • Your first checked bag is free for you and up to 4 traveling companions on domestic itineraries
  • Group 1 Boarding on domestic flights
Yeah. If you're going to spend ≈$500, the $450/year Citi Executive card might be worth more than Gold status. You get early boarding, priority check-in and security, 1 free checked bag, and 2 miles/dollar spent on American (the same bonus as Gold status gives once revenue-based earning kicks in, except it applies to the full purchase price including taxes; the counter argument is that another credit card, eg AmEx Gold, will give you a comparable or larger amount of arguably-more-valuable miles/points on the same spend) with either the credit card or status.

Status gives you wait list priority and a jump in the phone queue, which are occasionally useful in the event of IRROPS, as well as the occasional upgrade; the credit card does not give you these.

The credit card gives you lounge access, which status doesn't. And also a $100 Global Entry credit, which gets you precheck (far bigger deal than airline priority security), although that's only worth $20/yr, since Global Entry is good for five years.

For me, if I were going to spend ≈$500 to improve the experience on American despite not flying 25k miles on AA in a year, I think the credit card (lounge access) would win. In reality, I wouldn't spend $500, but the OP may well be in a different financial situation than I.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nlkm9
timely--I was "grounded" at work, and expect or hope to be traveling in a few months--just got an offer to either pay 1199 to keep my exp plat or pay 399 to drop down to gold...Im very tempted on the gold, its a small risk as I may not travel a lot but my gut says it will pick up again--then i will have access to all my 500 mile upgrades..
any opinions??
I'd pay $1,200 to extend EXP long before I'd pay $400 for Gold.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lwhite8
Hi! I'm new to the forum, and would like some advice from the experts. :-:

I received an e-mail from AA allowing me to upgrade to gold status for $499.

My status would be good from now through Feb. 2017.

Is this a good deal - especially considering the changes in the loyalty program starting next year?

I've never been elite before, and American is my airline of choice, so I am considering it.

Thanks!
How many miles YTD are you short of GOLD?

It may be cheaper to find a flight for that number of miles and that will put you over the 25,000.

I got an Email today that for $1,199 I can retain my EXP status. I have another business trip that will put me over the 100,000 scheduled for the first week of December.

Back in September I calculated out my trips for the year and realized I would be about 4,500 miles short. So I found 2 trips for a total of $240 that ensured I would hit 100,000.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I am sure glad I am a Lifer...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
timely--I was "grounded" at work, and expect or hope to be traveling in a few months--just got an offer to either pay 1199 to keep my exp plat or pay 399 to drop down to gold...Im very tempted on the gold, its a small risk as I may not travel a lot but my gut says it will pick up again--then i will have access to all my 500 mile upgrades..
any opinions??
Did the offer say if it comes with the 8 SWU's?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
any opinions??
Your offer was $1199 to keep EXP? That's strange -- mine was $1799. You sure you don't mean PLT?

In any case, I'm sitting at about 95k EQM at the moment, so certainly not worth it for me.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I received an offer to keep my platinum status thru Feb 2017 for $1,199. I'm only 10,000 from qualifying for platinum and already have reservations booked for more than 10,000 EQP's. I don't think it is worth $1,200 anyway. Since they changed the year to January 31st under the new rules, I'm surprised the email said through February 2017.
I got that today as well. I was over 23k away from PLT.

Of course, I already bought a premium MR for a couple hundred more that would put me over for next year. That could have saved me a weekend, but I'd miss out on about 30k RDMs too.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Shoot, my offer was $650 to keep gold.

Yeah, no.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Did the offer say if it comes with the 8 SWU's?
The email itself doesn't mention SWUs, but there is a link to a full list of benefits, where it states, "You’ll receive 8 systemwide upgrades when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. Upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them."

That statement borders on being deceptive, in my opinion, given the recent changes that were announced to qualifying for status in 2017.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by metallo
The email itself doesn't mention SWUs, but there is a link to a full list of benefits, where it states, "You’ll receive 8 systemwide upgrades when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. Upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them."

That statement borders on being deceptive, in my opinion, given the recent changes that were announced to qualifying for status in 2017.
Well, we are still in the qualifying for the 2016 membership year, and that still does include the 8. But yes, a bummer...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
I think if someone is so clueless about their FF status so as to not know if they are going to requalify, they probably aren't likely to drop $1200 to pay for keeping it.
I encountered a couple at LIH who were looking at their boarding passes and wondering what "Gold" and "Priority" meant. Another person in line explained that it was the lowest elite frequent flyer level and they admitted to having done a bit of flying this year. They are probably now looking in puzzlement at an email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.