Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 15, 16, 7:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 20, 15, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, HH
My wife got a Gold buy back offer for $649 today. She has been on 6 flights this year, only around 11,000 miles.

My son who has been on every flight with us for the past 4 years(he is 4) and is also GOLD has never been offered the buy back. My wife was offered the buy back for 2015. Wife and son re-qual'd for GOLD on 12/31/2014.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:38 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
"Extend your Executive Platinum status for 2016"

...is the title of an e-mail I've just received from AA.

"Your American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is set to expire on February 29, 2016, and we want to offer you an opportunity to continue enjoying Executive Platinum benefits through the 2016 membership year.

Act now, and we'll extend your Executive Platinum status for only $1,199. You'll continue to enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more. See a full list of benefits >>

Once you purchase, we'll extend your elite status through February 2017."

Given that I have more than 95k EQM to date, and a 10k+ itinerary with AA booked in a couple of weeks, I think I'll pass. I'm not impressed with the unconditional "your status is set to expire" — I guess it's intended to make people send them the money, whether it's needed or not.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This offer was given last year. I would assume it's based upon total YTD miles and doesn't take into consideration travel booked for the remainder of 2015. I would think most EXPs like you would just ignore the offer knowing they will hit the 100KEQMs before 12/31.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:44 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Everybody who is on here, for sure. But I think we easily forget how clueless many other travellers, even very frequent ones, can be.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:47 am

Smile Gold Status for $499?

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and would like some advice from the experts. :-:

I received an e-mail from AA allowing me to upgrade to gold status for $499.

My status would be good from now through Feb. 2017.

Is this a good deal - especially considering the changes in the loyalty program starting next year?

I've never been elite before, and American is my airline of choice, so I am considering it.

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:57 am

For last ~5 years, I have been over 85K EQM or EQP or both, and the last two years I have received buy-up offers to EXP, which I routinely ignore. With the changes in AAdvantage earning in the second half of 2016, the calculation is now very different because you have a hard metric* by which to measure the buy-up's value: the 3 mile / $1 RDM earning increment of EXP over PLT. If I get another offer this year, I will have to plug that differential into my 2016 plans and see what pops out. I suspect I know the answer, but it is an intriguing new possibility.

* I am not saying that the other metrics like SWUs, domestic upgrades, much better priority, fee waivers etc are not separately valuable - I think they are. I am just focusing on the question of whether they is something that already tips the scale as pure economics, before having to weigh the utility of those benefits for me and my flying patterns.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:58 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've already requalified for 2016 (over a month ago; I got congratulatory email, but NO new card). Last year I got a similar email, but had enough future bookings to cross 100K.
If the email noted by OP had Feb 2018 , I would take the offer without hesitation.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
You're not gonna get much in terms of upgrades with gold. You will get increased mileage earning as well as a free checked bag, free MCE at T-24 subject to availability, free baggage, and early boarding.

Other than the MCE and mileage, these benefits can be had with an AA cobrand credit card, along with the bonus miles that come with that card (I believe the Citi card is offering 50k right now).

Seeing as you don't fly often enough to make gold this year, unless those plans are changing in the next year I wouldn't advise it.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, lwhite8!

Re: whether it's a good deal...well, as you can expect, it depends. Are you familiar with the benefits of AA Gold? How much and where do you fly?
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Have a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html (link); it might help you decide.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by lwhite8 View Post

Is this a good deal - especially considering the changes in the loyalty program starting next year?

I've never been elite before, and American is my airline of choice, so I am considering it.

Thanks!
As said above, it depends whether it is worth it for you or not. Personally speaking, I would take it because I have some OW trips lined up in the near future and I am switching my mileage earning from BA, where I hold status, to AA, where I don't. I could use the benefits.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
You're not gonna get much in terms of upgrades with gold. You will get increased mileage earning as well as a free checked bag, free MCE at T-24 subject to availability, free baggage, and early boarding.
Don't forget airport benefits of priority check-in/security, which is one of the nice things of the gold program, imho.

How many flights a year do you take with American? I'd say that if you usually fly Y and typically reach at least halfway (i.e. 15 segments and/or 12.5k miles) then go for it.

If you fly below that amount and/or mostly paid F with AA, then I'd say don't bother, and just enjoy the feeling that you're not beholden to any particular airline.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:37 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lwhite8 View Post

Thanks!
Have you looked into the Citi AAdvantage cards? Although you won't get upgrades, you will get the following:
  • Your first checked bag is free for you and up to 4 traveling companions on domestic itineraries
  • Group 1 Boarding on domestic flights
Old Nov 20, 15, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While Gold status is better than nothing, I doubt it's worth 5 bills. Do what you want but I wouldn't throw that much money away.
Old Nov 20, 15, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
timely--I was "grounded" at work, and expect or hope to be traveling in a few months--just got an offer to either pay 1199 to keep my exp plat or pay 399 to drop down to gold...Im very tempted on the gold, its a small risk as I may not travel a lot but my gut says it will pick up again--then i will have access to all my 500 mile upgrades..
any opinions??

Search this Thread
Search Engine: